THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead Space  (Read 23996 times)

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
Re: Dead Space
« Reply #50 on: 02 Mar 2009, 13:27 »

Beat it last night, finally. Was terribly disappointed with the ending. What ever happened to games with awesome 15-minute endings? This one was like "saw it coming..."
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

ModernRonin

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #51 on: 03 Mar 2009, 00:41 »

For whatever it's worth, you're apparently smarter than about 95% of people. Seems like almost nobody saw the twist coming.

Only thing I can't figure out... if you-know-who was a necromorph all along, why did the other necros attack her when she was across the gap, trying to open the door for you?

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #52 on: 03 Mar 2009, 13:15 »

SPOILERS LIKE WHOA BELOW.

Well I figured she'd killed herself already. The video that Isaac watches in the beginning cuts off way too early to be the end of the actual film she recorded. I didn't know how she died, but I knew she was dead. I pieced the bit about the marker being able to control things through the first few chapters, especially when Kendra talks about her brother. The main thing about the story I didn't like was "how the heck can the entire ship but 4 people be dead, and how can those 4 people safely travel from place to place on a giant ship infested with aliens?" It was right at the part when Nichole was opening the door for me that I knew a) she wasn't alive/she was a hallucination and b) the Hive Mind was partially controlling Isaac already.

Wikipedia says, at the end of the story section, "As he sets course away from Aegis VII, Clarke thinks about Nicole and is attacked by her as a Necromorph; however, the event is revealed to be another hallucination as Issac takes off his helmet." The way I remember the ending was Isaac takes his helmet off, shakes his head a bit, deletes the Nichole video, notices something out of the corner of his eye, looks, is then attacked, and the screen goes black.

I really enjoyed this game. The story is the best story for a 1ps I've played in quite some time. I want to go back and piece together all the audio, video and text logs, so that I can get a fuller picture of the game.

Extremely fun. I'm playing it again on New Game+ and flew through the first two chapters. Going to try to get as many achievements as possible this go 'round.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #53 on: 04 Mar 2009, 09:24 »

Almost completed it, still enjoying it huge amounts and I wouldn't be surprised if I played through a third time.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #54 on: 03 Dec 2009, 20:40 »

So I'm playing this game again on my laptop because it is a fun game, dreading that Resident Evil-esque nosedive at the end, with a 360 controller because damn this port sucks (holy shit does a mouse make the asteroid blaster parts easier, though!) and I came across this here thing -

Almost overlooked it. I wonder if the smudged out parts are somewhere else, or if we're supposed to play cryptographer. It's neat any way you slice it.

Anyway, playing it on normal and unfortunately it's still pretty damn easy. I learned my lesson from my first playthrough and avoided the flamethrower and pulse rifle, both of which are fairly useless. Neglected to update my plasma cutter up until just now and have instead beefed up my line gun and force guns to a moderate degree and gone whole hog on the Ripper, which kills most anything (sometimes several things - great against the little fleshy swarms) in a single shot. Good times. Also figured out that most of the early powerlocked rooms contain schematics for ammo, which makes them more worth opening than I thought earlier. Most of my initial thoughts I stand by, though. Hate monster closets.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2009, 20:42 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #55 on: 05 Dec 2009, 13:22 »

Not I.

Turns out that cryptographic chart contains is meant to decode a special symbol on every level which reveals a cheat which gives you... 5 power nodes. Not worth it.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #56 on: 05 Dec 2009, 17:32 »

In-game info that reveals a cheat code?  That's pretty lame.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #57 on: 06 Dec 2009, 12:23 »

who wants to use that to try decode this

"The nightmare is over but will not end." in case anyone was wondering.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #58 on: 07 Dec 2009, 17:08 »

Wikipedia says, at the end of the story section, "As he sets course away from Aegis VII, Clarke thinks about Nicole and is attacked by her as a Necromorph; however, the event is revealed to be another hallucination as Issac takes off his helmet." The way I remember the ending was Isaac takes his helmet off, shakes his head a bit, deletes the Nichole video, notices something out of the corner of his eye, looks, is then attacked, and the screen goes black.

They officially announced the sequel today and Isaac Clarke is the protagonist in it as well, so I'm thinking the Wikipedia article is accurate
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ackblom12

« Reply #59 on: 07 Dec 2009, 17:33 »

They officially announced the sequel today and Isaac Clarke is the protagonist in it as well, so I'm thinking the Wikipedia article is accurate

No, he definitely takes off his helmet first. I'm sure it wold be quite easy to say it was a hallucination, but that is definitely an inaccurate description of the ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubG3N4ljwuo&feature=related

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #60 on: 07 Dec 2009, 18:00 »

OR MAYBE ISAAC CLARKE IS JUST A BADASS.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #61 on: 08 Dec 2009, 06:28 »

Dude can stomp on people hard enough to send their limbs flying off like blood-powered rockets. Of course he's a badass.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #62 on: 08 Dec 2009, 08:29 »

On the other hand, he lets some woman order him around.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #63 on: 08 Dec 2009, 08:44 »

Point, set, match.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #64 on: 08 Dec 2009, 12:06 »

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #65 on: 08 Dec 2009, 18:50 »

they made him so frowny
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #66 on: 10 Dec 2009, 19:49 »

So advance word from the Game Informer piece is thus:

- Dead Space 2 will take place on "Sprawl", a big facility orbiting Saturn. Environments will be more wide-open.
 - Isaac Clarke is back and he has a voice now that he uses to speak to other characters.
 - Javelin Gun.
 - Increased focus on action, de-emphasis of horror aspects, more feeling of "power". Basically going from Alien to Predator.
 - Online multiplayer. Reference to dismembering your friends, so probably competitive. Co-op would be nice though.

So I'm dialing down my anticipation. I liked Dead Space as a horror game (there are very few horror games out there as it is) but it underperformed, sales-wise, so I'm expecting that they'll be pulling a Resident Evil 5 with it.
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2009, 19:51 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #67 on: 10 Dec 2009, 20:40 »

- Increased focus on action, de-emphasis of horror aspects, more feeling of "power". Basically going from Alien to Predator.

I am really glad that they are filling the much-needed niche market for gamers who want games exactly like every other game.

ackblom12

« Reply #68 on: 10 Dec 2009, 21:43 »

That's incredibly dissapointing. I mean, if they simply polish the gameplay up I'll still enjoy it but shit.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #69 on: 10 Dec 2009, 23:16 »

That's not really what I heard. Admittedly, I haven't seen the article yet, but according to the developers they still consider it a horror game, even though they're trying to make the weaponry feel more powerful. In fact, they imply that the events of the first game have made Isaac unstable, and that hallucinations might play an Eternal Darkness-style role in the gameplay.

Here's the article where I read all of this. Read it for yourself and draw your own conclusions before just writing it off entirely.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2009, 10:47 by Storm Rider »
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #70 on: 11 Dec 2009, 00:24 »

The first game slowly eroded your feeling of safety in the little hub parts of each chapter so we know they're already okay at pacing, and that article seems to suggest that pacing is where their emphasis is going to be. I'm more interested in the idea that we might see more people.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #71 on: 11 Dec 2009, 01:00 »

There's a big difference between "more action" and "not scary all the time". In Dead Space, there was never a moment I felt comfortable; I'm looking forward to those minute breaks where I'll feel stronger than my attackers.

EDIT: Also, Bryan, that article is total shite.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2009, 01:06 by Melodic »
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #72 on: 11 Dec 2009, 10:47 »

Your mother.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #73 on: 11 Dec 2009, 11:52 »

You guys never felt powerful in the first game? Sometimes when I was holding the line gun, I felt invincible. I remember killing the brutes with two well-timed shots. Even with the plasma cutter, you can down enemies in two shots pretty much all the time.

Are you wanting to blast dudes so hard with lasers that they go back in time to when they were being born and get born dead? I don't get it.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #74 on: 11 Dec 2009, 12:28 »

or walking into a room, seeing 3 enemies grouped together, throwing a stasis and a timed mine and walking casually back out into the corridor waiting for the sound of dying necromorphs. Jesus the line-gun is a beast.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #75 on: 11 Dec 2009, 14:05 »

want

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #76 on: 13 Dec 2009, 23:23 »

Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Reed

« Reply #77 on: 14 Dec 2009, 06:30 »

Is it just me, or is there something oddly vaginal about that ink blot?
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #78 on: 15 Dec 2009, 03:17 »

Is it just me, or is there something oddly vaginal about every ink blot?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #79 on: 15 Dec 2009, 10:06 »

Embarassingly enough, I still haven't played Dead Space.

That said, I read that GI article and was instantly wary because, as has mentioned, it's getting more action and all this stuff. meh.
I am however, really excited about something they mentioned that wasn't in the above list, which is MORE ZERO GRAVITY with better mobility. Yeah, I haven't even played Dead Space so I dunno how much zero-g was even in it, but there is no way that more zero gravity can be a bad thing.

I like to look at the bright side of things.

hmm you know what I might even go rent Dead Space today, that sounds like fun.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #80 on: 15 Dec 2009, 14:02 »

Yeah go play it.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #81 on: 21 May 2010, 21:24 »

Necropost to say that I am finally playing Dead Space.  I am impressed by the integrated UI and I am generally having fun, but I'm still unimpressed by a lot of things so far.  The graphics are a bit of a mixed bag.  They do some things pretty well, but then even at 1920x1200 with everything turned on some things seem jagged as all hell.  The controls are clunky, the story is hackneyed and predictable and so far on Normal the game has been super easy and you can basically always tell when they're about to spring some more monsters on you.  Also the audio shit I've picked up so far of the doctors or scientists or whatever talking about shit they found down on the planet is fucking groan-worthy.

All that said though, it is pretty fun to blast apart these undead alien things then stomp them apart to make sure they don't get back up later.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #82 on: 21 May 2010, 22:57 »

How are the controls clunky at all? Maybe it's different on the PC version, but when I played on 360 I never had any problem with the controls outside of the asteroid shooting gallery and even that wasn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #83 on: 22 May 2010, 03:00 »

It's very different on the PC version. The port is awful, mainly because they didn't recalibrate aiming for the mouse. You're either way too fast or way too slow. The only way I was able to play the game on PC was with automatically integrated 360 controllers.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #84 on: 22 May 2010, 05:08 »

During the menu screens the mouse was pretty hard to control and I was wondering why.  Then I got into the game and the camera seemed like it was too close to the dude and reacted strangely to my mouse movements.  Actually, I'm gonna do a quick search for something to change the FOV, maybe that'll help a little.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #85 on: 04 Jun 2010, 22:29 »

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #86 on: 05 Jun 2010, 00:57 »

I looked for the FOV fix, found a bunch of people complaining about it and being told "oh, it's supposed to be like that to give you a feeling of claustrophobia, derr" tried playing it some more and had a modest amount of fun, then after I got the ship's engines restarted I realised I was just going through the motions and stopped playing.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #87 on: 12 Jun 2010, 02:31 »

Gameplay trailor. Hidden message at the end, I think.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #88 on: 12 Jun 2010, 11:32 »

Hidden message translates to "REBORN AS ONE 614".

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #89 on: 12 Jun 2010, 17:13 »

So there's a demo coming out during E3?

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #90 on: 12 Jun 2010, 18:26 »

Eh, there's some speculation that 614 is a Bible passage, among other things, but I think as a date makes more sense because it's an E3 day.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #91 on: 12 Jun 2010, 18:35 »

Ain't no bible in the Dead Space universe.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up