THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Asian (or World, even) Cinema  (Read 4937 times)

Siibillam-Law

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
Asian (or World, even) Cinema
« on: 20 Oct 2008, 09:19 »

Not sure if this is a topic or not already, but how many people enjoy world cinema more than they do Hollywood? I've noticed I tend to avoid the chart DVDs now at HMv and go straight for the World section where people like Takashi Miike and the Pang brothers rule supreme. Who here also hates (most of) those Hollywood remakes of those films? The Eye was a fine film in my opinion. And then it was wrecked...
Heard theyre' trying to do a Battle Royale remake.
What do you lot think?   

:-D  (so not quite Godzilla..)
There is no sin except stupidity

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
Re: Asian (or World, even) Cinema
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2008, 10:16 »

Here's a thread on Chinese cinema specifically: http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,17949.0.html

i don't have much to add, other than A Touch of Zen. I tend to agree with this person: "Anybody seriously interested in martial arts cinema must seek out a copy, since it represents one of the most elegant examples of its type, a few years before the international success of Asian fight flicks proliferated a slew of poorly dubbed, re-edited versions for Western markets, solidifying the stereotype of "chop-socky" films as plot-free, laughable foreign commodities."

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2008, 10:55 »

I'm a fan of a lot of cinema.  Stalker is definitely my favorite movie, which is Russian (I really need to see Tarkovsky's other stuff, I've only seen that and Solaris).  I'm a fan of Ki-Duk Kim, Takashi Miike (that dude is a VISUAL director), Chan-Wook Park, etc.  I like the Tony Jaa movies, I like Thai films, I like European cinema.  I'm a big fan of Bela Tarr (Hungarian), Jeun-Carot and Luc Besson (French), Shane Meadows and Danny Boyle, Frederico Fellini (Italian), etc.

American movies can still be good, though.  The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford was fantastic, there's also just a lot of great indie films and a fuckton of zombie movies.

I guess, on the whole, more of my favorite movies tend to be foreign, but I think that's because I've been catching up on a lot of older films.

But Jens: Werckmeister Harmonies.  It only has 39 shots in it's two-and-a-half hour run.  This is my next favorite after Stalker.  If you ever do watch it, there is one scene that is just SO GOOOOOOD.  You'll know which one.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2008, 10:59 »

This Battle Royale remake will fucking suck. Fuck, man.
Hate, rain on me

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2008, 11:47 »

I enjoy the Japanese classics more than I like any other kind of film.  Give me something like Drunken Angel or The Bad Sleep Well (Kurosawa) and I'm sucked away for the entire duration.  The samurai films are pretty amazing too: Sanjuro, Samurai Rebellion, Seven Samurai.  Korean stuff can be a little hit-or-miss, there are definitely some amazing ones and some truly terrible films.  The Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance) is pretty intense with the exception of Mr. Vengeance which was easily the weakest of the three films.    Miike is an incredible director who churns out a ridiculous number of movies per year considering that pretty much EVERY ONE of his films wins awards.  I would highly recommend Zebraman from his repertoire.  It will be the best superhero film you will ever see....ever.  The guy has also directed almost every genre of film and he's directed it well.  Watch Audition and Ichi the Killer, just remember that Ichi is HEAVY on gore.

I am more than sick of asian remakes, most specifically the horror movies.  A Tale of Two Sisters is one of my favourite Korean films and I found out a week after buying it that it's being remade.  It's like they take the initial premise of the film and rip away everything that makes it an amazing movie.  From what I've heard The Eye was pretty bad originally and the remake was even worse (Jessica Alba + Horror = ?)  Battle Royale will be...interesting. If they keep the blood and the angst I'll probably head on over and watch it.  Hopefully they'll release the original here eventually.  But from what I hear the demands for releasing it here are pretty freaking insane, they (the studio or whoever) is demanding that Battle Royale has to be released nationwide in theatres on the same scale as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  Something that will probably never, ever happen.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2008, 13:05 »

Wild Zero.

Seriously, people, Wild Zero.  It's been released outside Japan on DVD finally so now you have no excuse.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2008, 18:25 »

I enjoy the Japanese classics more than I like any other kind of film.  Give me something like Drunken Angel or The Bad Sleep Well (Kurosawa) and I'm sucked away for the entire duration.  The samurai films are pretty amazing too: Sanjuro, Samurai Rebellion, Seven Samurai.  Korean stuff can be a little hit-or-miss, there are definitely some amazing ones and some truly terrible films.  The Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance) is pretty intense with the exception of Mr. Vengeance which was easily the weakest of the three films.    Miike is an incredible director who churns out a ridiculous number of movies per year considering that pretty much EVERY ONE of his films wins awards.  I would highly recommend Zebraman from his repertoire.  It will be the best superhero film you will ever see....ever.  The guy has also directed almost every genre of film and he's directed it well.  Watch Audition and Ichi the Killer, just remember that Ichi is HEAVY on gore.

I am more than sick of asian remakes, most specifically the horror movies.  A Tale of Two Sisters is one of my favourite Korean films and I found out a week after buying it that it's being remade.  It's like they take the initial premise of the film and rip away everything that makes it an amazing movie.  From what I've heard The Eye was pretty bad originally and the remake was even worse (Jessica Alba + Horror = ?)  Battle Royale will be...interesting. If they keep the blood and the angst I'll probably head on over and watch it.  Hopefully they'll release the original here eventually.  But from what I hear the demands for releasing it here are pretty freaking insane, they (the studio or whoever) is demanding that Battle Royale has to be released nationwide in theatres on the same scale as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  Something that will probably never, ever happen.

The eye wasn't too bad. Creepy as hell. Ichi the Killer is amazingly gory. I've never flinched in a film before, and then i saw a guy get suspended by meat hooks and have boiling oil poured over him. That was disturbing.

The thing with the BR remake, i think is that it's the fact that they're underage kids killing each other off which will be one hell of a battle with censorship laws if they ever get round to doing it (heaven forbid). I rewatched Mr Vengeance the other day and compared to Dead or Alive, Infernal Affairs or even Lady Vengeance, it was surprisngly weak, when I had enjoyed so much the first time.. Hmmm.

Seven Samuari was awesome as hell. Sweet

SonofZ3

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2008, 18:48 »

Ikiru by Kurosawa. Kicks a lot of ass. Sometimes they play it on the IFC channel
I've gained nothing from Zen.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2008, 10:11 »

aznv.tv people.  Seriously, that site.  $15 for 70 hours of high quality streaming video, and the vast majority of Asian movies they have on there are not available outside their home countries yet (or ever will be in some cases).

I've seen so many amazing things on there, but the most recent was a Korean film called Real Fiction.

Quote from: wikipedia
It was shot entirely in real-time, with no retakes, on a mixture of low quality video and purposefully "dirtied" film. These combine to give it an intensity of emotion which is normally only found in live performances, and a simultaneous mode of abstract expression which is normally only possible with comics.

Seriously, it's one of the best movies I've seen in years.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2008, 19:12 »

There was the Russian Nightwatch and Daywatch movies, i enjoyed those. B-13 is a very good action thriller from France. I've heard hood things about The Host, has anyon seen it?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2008, 23:07 »

Just finished watching Audition ... freaked the living hell out of me, more than any film i've seen for some reason. There's just something about a woman going "kiri kiri kiri" as she inserts needles in you that leaves me up all night, going "shit, is my door locked?"

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2008, 20:35 »

I watched Pan's labyrinth, that dude with eyes in his hands is way creepy.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #12 on: 28 Oct 2008, 23:39 »

Just seen One Missed Call (Chikushin Ari) and it is scaaary. Much much much mroe awesome than the remake.

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 2008, 17:53 »

Pan's Labyrinth has to be my favourite foreign film that i've seen so far and Guillermo Del Toro has been given the director's slot for The Hobbit so i have high hopes for that.

Other than that City of God, Oldboy, Amelie; world cinema puts out just as many, if not more great films in a year as Hollywood.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!
Pages: [1]   Go Up