THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chiptunes  (Read 7196 times)

mattgcn

• Emoticontraindication
  • The goat, the pole and their relative positions
    • MATTGCN
Chiptunes
« on: 16 Sep 2008, 16:59 »

I saw a thread when I searched but the angry red text told me I should make a new thread because it's old? Okay..

Well, as a formerly only-video-game-music kind of guy, I've always had a love for chiptunes. Especially ones actually synthesized on old game carts. So does anyone else around here like them? Anyone frequent 8BitCollective or 8BitPeoples? Anyone know they existed before Pitchfork wanked all over them saying the decade old genre was the "best new thing"?
Still trying desperately to fit in

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
Re: Chiptunes
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2008, 17:03 »

So far I've been limited to Random, tetravox, and known thieves Crystal Castles.  I'd get into it more if I had the time.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2008, 17:18 »

yeah, i guess.

i mean, i like Crystal Castles and 14 Year Old Girls....and probably some others who's names elude me at the moment.
i'm always open to new suggestions.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

PECOAE

• Furry furrier
  • master of his domain ...for now
« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2008, 17:23 »

my friends in starscream (http://www.myspace.com/starscreamnewyork) play gameboy/drum music and have a ton of connections in the 8bit world, i encourage people to check them out.

otherwise, i like anamanaguchi (http://www.myspace.com/anamanaguchi), crystal castles, that kind of stuff is great.

Harun

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2008, 18:04 »

Bitshifter's Information Chase is by far my favorite from 8bitpeoples

Xinon's Moonlight Symphony also deserves a mention for its unquestionably catchy 8-bit beats

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2008, 20:07 »

My name is Przewalski's Horse on 8bitcollective. I post very occasionally about gigs in Australia that no-one goes to. I DJ chiptunes stuff in Sydney. I supported Glomag once, but I didn't get to see him play on account of having to leave for work.

Oh yeah, I usually play with 10Kfreemen a fair bit. I think he posts a bunch on 8bc.

If anyone wants recommendations I could probably list about thirty artists I'm playing the shit out of at the moment.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2008, 20:12 by ViolentDove »
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2008, 22:29 »

I'm really into a lot of the stuff on 8bitpeoples. My favourite recent chip artists are Nullsleep (his Electric Heart Strike is my favourite 8bp release), USK, Saitone, Anamanaguchi (though their demos sounded better than their release IMO), YMCK, Mr. Spastic, Kplecraft...

ViolentDove, is there much of a chip scene in Australia? I live in Melbourne, have LSDJ. I'm interested in the artist recommendations you can give.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2008, 23:21 »

Locally, there's a few... they quite often travel interstate to play gigs with each other, though. :)

Here you go!

This list was stolen from GameBoy Australia which is run by Tom and Alex. It's pretty much everything on the "scene" in Australia. On the site it's got contact details for most of them I think. I'd just get in touch with some fellow melbournites and start gigging!

Also, 10kFreeMen (aka Tom) is going to melbs on the 17th of October for an 8bit night at the bunker lounge, I'd head down and have a chat to people there. Most of the people are pretty approachable, I think.

The List of Australian Chiptune Artists
THE "PURE" 8-BIT

VIC

* Derris Kharlan (Melbourne) - Another youngster making thick final fantasy style chiptunes.
    * Future Eater (Melbourne) - Leader of the Melbourne micromusic HQ.
    * Maddest Kings Alive (Melbourne) - 1/2 of perth group Chrism and Fenris, now sculpts a huge range of chunky organic tunes including a heavy spicing of chiptune inspired and created sounds.
    * Pandie (Melbourne) - 8-bit club anthems.
    * Pritee_Piksuhl (Melbourne) - Missing in action, made some killer tracks and played a few microparties.
    * Raptorface (Melbourne) - Young member of the Chiptune newschool makes some amazing FamiTracker songs.

NSW

* Astro Zombies (Way out in Deniliquin) - Awsome young dude writing with Game Boys, ran the (ex) label Chain Chomp Records.
    * Benedict (Sydney) - arty micromusic.
    * CAG (?) - great pixel art & tunes.
    * Divide By Zero (Sydney) - Gameboy Noise.
    * It's Hard It's Hard (Sydney) - 8bit/noise duo who have never met each other.
    * Przewalskis Horse (Sydney) - event promoter and 8bit muso.
    * Ten Thousand Free Men and Their Families (Sydney) - solid gameboy dance co-founder of Game Boy Australia.
    * 0xFFender (Dirty-South) - youngster doing game boy tunes, also will make custom kits for LSDJ.

QLD

* Cartridge Cassettes (The Valley) - "MADNESS".
    * Dot.AY (Brisbane) - does hardcore gameboy electro and co-founder of Game Boy Australia.
    * Joypad Inactive (Hervey Bay) - also runs 'dustin must die' netlabel. I can't really download his music?
    * Ubey (Brisbane) - currently in Korea will come back and play gameboy gigs I COMMAND IT!
    * VGX (Brisbane) - has one gameboy mainstream dance track that he made after I sold him LSDJ.
    * Yaldabouth's Material World (Nth QLD).

SA

* DJ Tr!p (Adelaide) - dj based electro 8bit with a variety of consoles.
    * Hidden Village (Adelaide) - duo made up of Little-Scale and Cloud Sparrow amazing technical and musical skills.
    * Jacko (Adelaide) - Studies Jazz Saxophone at the Elder Conservatory of Music in Adelaide and rocks out on the Game Boy.
    * Little-Scale (Adelaide) - deserves his own listing because he has made so many solo releases. He is also working on midi interfaces for the Sega Mega Drive and Master System.

WA

* Chrism (Perth) - 1 half of the group Chrism and Fenris lots of Gameboy Advance and C64 technical programming.
    * Chrism and Fenris (Perth) - C64 duo played many live shows throughout Australia.

NEW ZEALAND

* Don't Eat Dinosaurs (Aukland) - NZ based chip artist.
    * 8bit Kidd (?).

INDONESIA

* Arcade Playmate - Jakarta
    * ASDW - Jakarta
    * Butcher Bachelor
    * acat Nada - Yogyakarta
    * Curahmelodiamandiri
    * Delayed Desire - Surabaya
    * Dyztrk - Jakarta
    * Godard
    * HelloStereo - Semerang
    * JW86 - Jakatta
    * Local Drug Store - Bandang
    * Motoric Mathematics - South Jakarta
    * Nintenboys - Jakarta
    * Pickney - Jakarta
    * Tele8bit - South Jakarta
    * Turbo Blip - Bogor
    * Vibrick - Jakarta

FRIENDS AND "OTHER" MICRO/CHIP STYLE

VIC

* Casionova (Melbourne) - the ultimate casio man plays mega micromusic on nothing but casios.
    * James Earthenware (Melbourne) - great circuit bent music wonders.
    * Talkshow Boy (Melbourne) - amazing trash rap-pop with micro bleeps.
    * Ultra Violet MC (Melbourne) - female mc raps over video game beats (has done a track with unicorn kid).

NSW

* Emergency! Emergency! (Sydney) - indie rock with added gameboy sounds.
    * Mintendo (Sydney) - game inspired synthy goodness.
    * Spod (Sydney) - wacky aus-electro legend.
    * Toy Death (Sydney) - Australia's all circuit bent band.

NT

* Blastcorp (Darwin) - currently in Japan uses nitrotracker on DS and makes rad beats.

QLD

* Collapsicon (Brisbane) - pretty much only makes electro these days, but has a whole bunch of chip gear.
    * Joel Saunders (Brisbane) - messed up pop uses cynthcart on C64.
    * Political Escapade (Gold Coast) - currently in France Indie Electro with politically charged vocals and rad bleeps.
    * Potato Master (Brisbane) - japanese rapper who has done some gameboy tracks with cow'p.
    * Sukaphish P Jones (Brisbane) - micro chip grime and everything else. 

With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2008, 05:44 »

Awesome, thanks! I like the young Victorian guys on the list.. they live pretty far out though!

godinpants

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants
« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2008, 23:26 »

Big List.

One day, i will have enough nanoloop stuff done to make it onto this list...

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #10 on: 25 Sep 2008, 18:13 »

You should do this thing. Then we might actually have enough people to do a whole chiptune gig without relying on interstate imports.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: 25 Sep 2008, 18:25 »

[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Viperidae

• Not quite a lurker

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2008, 19:34 »

I dunno if Invasion of the Mutant Space Bats of Doom count...

so fucking awesome. i can't believe that anyone else listens to these guys. whenever me and my friends get drunk, this band inevitably gets put on and everyone who knows whats up sings along loudly and stupidly.

the people don't know what's up get really bummed.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Broken_Drum

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Until The Fuel Runs Dry
    • Overhead Cables Humming Music
« Reply #14 on: 27 Sep 2008, 06:30 »

So far I've been limited to Random, tetravox, and known thieves Crystal Castles.  I'd get into it more if I had the time.
Yeah, Random makes some good stuff. The Bad Joke EP is probably my favourite.
Just Zeros And Ones

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #15 on: 27 Sep 2008, 08:05 »

Ironically, that's the only one of his I've heard.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #16 on: 01 Oct 2008, 22:17 »

I have about half an hours worth of tracks, I kind of let things go long. I need to talk to someone(probably 10k freemen?) about getting a cart and flashing lsdj on it for me too.

If anyone is interested www.myspace.com/godinpants
I've uploaded more tracks but myspace is a dick and wont show them.

Yeah, I think he sells them for about $50 or so. You can hit him up on breakcore.com.au or I can just PM you his email if you want.

Digging your tunes, by the way.

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
« Reply #17 on: 15 Oct 2008, 22:56 »

I'm going to the Melbourne show at the Bunker Louge tomorrow night. Anyone else?

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #18 on: 16 Oct 2008, 16:42 »

Nope... as much as I'd love to head to Melbourne for the weekend, I've got waaaay to much work to do.

AnonymousNoob

« Reply #19 on: 16 Oct 2008, 20:24 »

http://www.blipfestival.org/

Going to be awesome.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
« Reply #21 on: 19 Oct 2008, 04:28 »

I went to the show, it was lots of fun. I didn't get to meet Tom though. His music is great to dance to. Derris-Kharlan's tunes are awesome but the sound system was super muddy when he played unfortunately. They sorted it out later though.

Aegir

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #22 on: 26 Oct 2008, 01:19 »

I never realized this was such a thriving musical genre. I'll have to check some of these groups out.

By the way, "14 Year Old Girls" is the best band name ever, because fans of the band have to say "I like 14 Year Old Girls".

rainbowsandumbrellas

« Reply #23 on: 26 Oct 2008, 01:52 »

i really like Animal Style and Children of the Monkey Machine.

i LOVE chiptunes and videogame music. i have NEVER read Pitchfork, so i didn't know that chiptunes made them all hot and bothered.

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #24 on: 27 Oct 2008, 06:42 »

Anamanaguchi, YMCK, and jim ether.  I'm not sure if jim ether counts but he's got a bit of video game sound to his tunes.

8bitpeoples is a great site but I haven't really looked through it much.
boldly going nowhere

mattgcn

• Emoticontraindication
  • The goat, the pole and their relative positions
    • MATTGCN
« Reply #25 on: 30 Oct 2008, 16:24 »

8bitpeoples and 8bit collective are still my love.

And for chiptunes, the best of the best made a collab on an album of Kraftwerk covers they called 8-Bit Operators <3
Still trying desperately to fit in
Pages: [1]   Go Up