THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 02:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Terry Pratchett  (Read 9384 times)

invoker43

Terry Pratchett
« on: 29 Oct 2008, 09:03 »

Hi!  New poster here.  I couldn't resist saying thanks to Jeph for giving Dora a hankering for my favorite author.  If you've never read a Discworld novel, drop what you're doing this instant (yes!  this freakin' instant!)  and run out and to the bookstore of your choice for Men at Arms, or Equal Rites, or Hogfather.  Why are you still here?  Get the lead out!

Thanks to everyone who makes QC such an important part of my day!

Just another Mississippi boy.

Siibillam-Law

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
Re: Terry Pratchett
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2008, 09:21 »

Yeah I hear that. Jeph turned my favoutie character into my even more favourite character
There is no sin except stupidity

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2008, 12:18 »

I bet they're Equal Rites and Monstrous Regiment. They're my favourite TP:DW books. That prolly says a bit more about me than I mean to.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

HouseMDfan

« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2008, 13:02 »

I'm too lazy to surf the webs, what kind of books does Terry write? I've been too busy with another Terry (Terry Goodkind)

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2008, 13:40 »

Monstrous Regiment and Equal Rites? Odd choices, considering they're as far away form each other as you can get.
And HouseFan, they're quite probably the funniest fantasy books anyone could ever read. Perfect satire of the real world with magic, wizzards, and a Death more human than most humans

HouseMDfan

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2008, 15:20 »

Ahh...I dunno, Sword of Truth can be funny too...I may have to check it out though...

Gingernut

« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2008, 15:23 »

Satire, but more than satire. Fantasy, but with a really in depth basis in the real world. Fantastic characters who are well written and human. Pretty much, the later ones in the series have a darker tone and more sardonic feel, earliest are more straight satire.

Pratchett is awesome.

Shame he has Alzheimer's now, really. He donated some ridiculous sum of money to Alzheimer's research, leading me to the mental image of a lab full of Pratchett-reading scientists chanting 'must save Terry's brain'.

I'd say my favourites... ooh.  I will always (always always always) re-read Hogfather and Reaper Man, and if it has Sam Vimes in it I'm on it.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2008, 15:40 »

Vimes is my favorite.  He's the man.  Which is ironic, because Vimes hates The Man.

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2008, 16:29 »

Reaper Man and Hogfather, definitly.
Susan is awesome. Thumbs up for her!

fallwaterfall

« Reply #9 on: 29 Oct 2008, 17:00 »

:-o   :x  Somehow I missed the news about Terry Pratchett's Alzheimer's - that's the worst news I've had all year, as he is my favorite author, and his works just keep getting better.  Here's hoping he will, too.

Granny Weatherwax, definitely, though Vimes is a VERY close second.  and Lady Sybil, Reg Shoe, Cohen the Barbarian, and who could overlook Rincewind and the Librarian?  EEEK! (which may not have quite as many meanings as OOOK, but then again, more emphatic ones?)

You'll be reading along, right?  and read something so funny you'll pass a whole peanut butter sandwich through your nose!

He's the best.

Gundark

« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2008, 17:30 »

Much love for Terry Pratchett.  Been reading his stuff since about 89 or so, I guess.  His Alzheimer's weighs heavily on my mind.

Thanks for mentioning him, Jeph.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2008, 18:01 »

actreal

• Emoticontraindication
  • Loved by good, feared by evil
« Reply #12 on: 29 Oct 2008, 20:12 »

My favourite character is Lord Vetinari, followed by the Guards and Moist von Lipwig. Being a city boy, I guess I like the urban satires the best.

The best bit about Terry Pratchett is that on any one reading, you only get about half the jokes and still find it hilarious. The next reading you'll latch onto different jokes and enjoy it just as much.
Quote from: Hannelore
COME ON THEY ARE BUILDING A RAMP

bbqrocks

« Reply #13 on: 29 Oct 2008, 20:34 »

Lord Vetinari, Captain Vimes and Granny Weatherwax are obvious favourites of mine.

The best thing about terry pratchett is what the person above me said! And also the rereadability of the books! I must have read each one more than thrice, at least.

daedalus1982

« Reply #14 on: 30 Oct 2008, 05:40 »

I like the character dynamics best.  His characters aren't just awesome, they really shine when they're forced to interact

Vimes and Vetinari aka the Terrier and the Dog Botherer.  I may have just gotten that joke :-)
Carrot and Vetinari aka the King and the Despot with similar intentions and completely different methods
Weatherwax and Reverend Oats aka the best dang essay on religion ever
Detritus and Cuddy
Angua and Gaspode
hell even Colon and Nobby.

the best moments in his books are when two or more highly evolved and detailed characters interact.

-"build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set the man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life"

sagov

« Reply #15 on: 30 Oct 2008, 10:13 »

simply the funniest ever, bonus points for mentioning him

my favorite character? it's got to be either Death or the Luggage...who could forget the Luggage

GreyGabe

• Plantmonster
  • Probably not dead.
« Reply #16 on: 30 Oct 2008, 18:51 »

Pratchett is one of my favorite authors! Mort is probably my favorite I've read so far (mostly because I love the way he writes the character Death). Although, I really liked Good Omens, too, which he wrote with Neil Gaiman (another favorite). In fact, Good Omens was the first thing I had read by either author! I passed it at the store and said to myself "Huh, that looks good." And now I'm reading everything I can find by either author. Everything.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #17 on: 30 Oct 2008, 19:16 »

And now I'm reading everything I can find by either author. Everything.

Good call.  Keep up the good work.

Gingernut

« Reply #18 on: 31 Oct 2008, 01:30 »

the thing that confuses me is his American accent when he speaks. There is such a... well... british flavour to the humour in his books- the slapstick, the fact we have a rich tradition of sardonic satire, the sheer sarcastic wit of it all, the punes, or plays on words..I just expect him to speak with a cut glass english accent.

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #19 on: 31 Oct 2008, 01:56 »

American acccent? Can't say I've noticed to be honest. He has a funny voice though ^^

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #20 on: 31 Oct 2008, 06:22 »

I hadn't heard either. God damn. Too sad.

My favourites are probably the ones with Tiffany Aching and the Nac Mac Feegles. They are brilliant. There's also the The Bromeliad Trilogy. I don't know why, but the innocent tales of small people struggling against the big world is just at the same time hilarious and... I don't know. I've always liked the Hobbit better then LoTR.

Then again, Monstrous Regiment was amazing, Vimes is just made out of win and the whole universe is filled with so much good stuff that you cannot really compare it to anything else. Terry Pratchett has managed what few others have, writing an immense amount of books and still keeping the quality up there with the best.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Muppet King

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #21 on: 31 Oct 2008, 07:20 »

Not even close to an American accent.

The Susan/Death books are my current favorites.  It all depends on my mood, though.  Last month I re-read every Vimes book, and the month before I re-read the Rincewind books.

However, I could never get into Monstrous Regiment or Small Gods.  I'm still trying to get my hands on the Science of Discworld books, but it's damn near impossible to find a new copy even on Amazon.
Yes, as a matter of fact, we'll probably use algebra like mad today!

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #22 on: 31 Oct 2008, 09:16 »

Small Gods was like that for me. First hundred pages I more or less had to force myself to read it on the pasis that it was Pratchett. It eventually got like other books, where i couldn't put it down.
Science books bored me. I would skip over the science parts and read only the wizards, but then that lost half the book, and I never really got into them. Ah well.

Gingernut

« Reply #23 on: 31 Oct 2008, 11:38 »

have you read Nation? It's non-discworl, and is one of his young adults book, and is BRILLIANT. Actually made me cry in places.

I don't cry at books any more. Haven't since I first read LoTR at 13 and cried over gandalf.

It sounds like an american accent to me, but then I can hear things weird... A friend of mine has a brummie accent and sometimes it sounds welsh to me.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #24 on: 31 Oct 2008, 15:18 »

American accent? Are talking about the same person?

I really enjoyed Small Gods and Monstrous Regiment. I liked The Science of Discworld. The broad strokes of the science were familar, but I'm not sure how much of the detail I retained. Currently it's holding at chapter 16 in favour of Jasper Fforde's The Big Over Easy, so I guess it's not compulsive reading.

I've heard good things about Nation.

Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #25 on: 01 Nov 2008, 05:34 »

Nation's amazing. I love it. Gpt it when it first came out (but that's cos I happened to be in the city and had just been paid and though, right I gotta get this book. It's right there)... and loved it. Usually I'm a cheap son of a bitch and buy the paperback (don't judge me). But Nation's bloody good. I like the idea of writing an alternate universe

Wilde

« Reply #26 on: 01 Nov 2008, 12:33 »

have read QC forever ... never felt compelled to register and comment before now but now that he's mentioned my personal universe creator, all hail Pterry! ... Vimes and Weatherwax are my Lares and Penates ... and The Librarian will always be my own personal Jesus ..
when i heard he was diagnosed with Alzheimers, i cried my eyes out for hours ... here's hoping that research does something before we lose the best thing that ever happened to the written word

damnitsteve

« Reply #27 on: 01 Nov 2008, 12:37 »

I read part of Going Postal, but never actually got around to finishing it. Pity, because I loved where it was going.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #28 on: 02 Nov 2008, 05:00 »

Haha, I love how I always thought I was the only one who knew of this genius. And then it turns out that half my dorm and more than half of my favorite forum were rabidly devouring his works along with me.

My first thought is that I love the urban Vimes/Vetinari/Carrot/Moist stories the best, but then I remember the Death books and how amazing they are. And then I remember everything he's ever written and realize that choosing is a task no man was meant to complete.

The only exception to this seems to be the Science of Discworld books. I actually have a copy of the second one that I do not care for in the least, if someone is really that interested. And I must admit that the preview of Nation at the end of Making Money has me vastly underwhelmed...

*fake edit* Has anyone else noticed how vastly inaccurate the summaries on the back cover tend to be? Perhaps it's just the way I interpret them, but I'm fairly certain one of them misstates the gender of the main character...
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Melt Down

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #29 on: 04 Nov 2008, 00:18 »

Vimes books will always be my favourite (Where's my Cow does count as a Vimes book).
The Librarian is defiantely second best, and as he was in some Vimes books, there was true greatness.

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #30 on: 04 Nov 2008, 09:16 »

*fake edit* Has anyone else noticed how vastly inaccurate the summaries on the back cover tend to be? Perhaps it's just the way I interpret them, but I'm fairly certain one of them misstates the gender of the main character...

Hahahaha, I read the back of Nation, where they make mention of the "ghost girl with no toes" and "the world turning upside down". Man did both these things lead me the wrong way. So much for scary hovering ghoul and a massive global switch.

I remember one of my classmates told me to read Discworld after I saw him on the MUD and asked him what he was. I was mocking at first, then he told me to get one out (any, didn't seem to matter),and I took Eric (bad choice for a first one) and Reaper Man (much better choice). I was on the phone to my girlfriend at the time, not listening nto her and intereupting her to read aloud some parts of the text i thought were hilarious (which basically was the whole thing). Pratchett has an amazing influence on us all

EhSteve

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #31 on: 04 Nov 2008, 11:57 »

It goes, 'Hruuugh!'

SmileyBandit

« Reply #32 on: 04 Nov 2008, 17:45 »

Ahhh Pterry-lovers all unite. The funny thing about Pratchett is I've never heard ANYONE state that they dislike the books he's written. It's pure genius.

BTW - I can't believe nobody has mentioned Lu Tse and Thief of Time! Vetinari and Vimes are brilliant (and my equal-second favourites), but Lu Tse sweeps butt!

Muppet King

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #33 on: 04 Nov 2008, 19:53 »

I lump Thief of Time in with the Susan/Death books.  Lu Tze is definitely one of my favorite characters, but he's not exactly a star.
Yes, as a matter of fact, we'll probably use algebra like mad today!

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #34 on: 04 Nov 2008, 21:02 »

Very hard to pick out a favourtie character, though isn't it. Too many of them and they're all so different. To be honest thoough, as much as I like the watch, they've had a lot books lately. It seems every time something goes wrong its up to them.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #35 on: 04 Nov 2008, 22:02 »

Partly because the watch doesn't rely on magic (with a limited exception in the case of Thud).  Pterry's characters all rely more on moral integrity and personal strength than they do on magic, but only in the case of the watch is it truly absent.  He truly mined the depths of Rincewind's possibilities and, in the end, usually relied on R's knowledge of magic and, sometimes, even his ability in magic.  Susan relied a great deal on the semi-mystical nature of her quasi-heritage from Death.  Granny is, of course, the most sternly moral person you'll ever meet, but even she relied on magic. 

As I believe Pterry had a character state (Vimes, I think), there are no rules to magic.  If you can make something up, magic makes it real.  So if you can make up an explanation for why a character can do something, then they should be able to do it and now you have to explain why they didn't do it in earlier stories or why they didn't do it earlier in this story.

I mean, props to the man, he managed to come up with Granny's ultimate ability and make it both impressive and mostly useless.  I speak, of course, of Borrowing.  It came to a head in Lords and Ladies and then he gave it a totally unexpected twist in Carpe Jugulem.  And he hasn't written Granny since.

I suspect that Pterry hates the gradual godification of characters that necessarily occurs, and also the calcification that occurs when a character settles too strongly into a role.  Someone starts out as just being strong and fast and ends up invincible and infinitely fast and with heat ray/x-ray vision and is also his own great grandson from the future.  Or he starts out as being an average guy with a strong sense of justice and ends up the inhumanly good personification of justice (*cough*carrotnobbycolon*cough*).

To that end, I think that he explores a character deliberately and carefully and sets it down before any of those problems (godification, calcification, magicification) can set in.  He started out as a writer of some pretty hard sci fi, and I think that still informs his plotting propriety.  He wants a logical structure, and magic is an escape from that.  He also wants a consistent structure, and part of consistency, for him, is that his characters remain vivid and vibrant.  Both of those words, incidentally, descend to us from Latin and relate to words meaning "alive".

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #36 on: 04 Nov 2008, 22:03 »

And I'd like to thank Smiley Bandit for posting the word "Pterry".  What with Pyramids, I think it's perfect for the man.

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #37 on: 04 Nov 2008, 23:03 »

I think the fact that he's stopped writing for Granny was a good idea. In Carpe Jugulum you could see the age start to hit her (finally) and i like how he never writes a character out completely (Granny appears in the Tiffany books, Rincewind the Science books etc)

Wilde

« Reply #38 on: 05 Nov 2008, 06:53 »

true .... and my favorite char is and always will be Sam Vimes but ... i'm definitely ready for another sisterhood book - Agnes/Perdita, the infamous Nanny Ogg, Magrat and of course Granny and all the rest of the weird ladies from Bare Mountain ......
Pages: [1]   Go Up