THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brave Men Read (Or: Write Your Idols Fanfiction)  (Read 2083 times)

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt

I couldn't decide which song to refer to.

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2008/10/sonic_youthinspired_fiction.php

The world does not need another tome telling the story of Sonic Youth. But a book of fiction inspired by the band's songs? Now that sounds interesting. On January 6, Harper's will release Noise: Fiction Inspired by Sonic Youth the made-up musings by Jess Walter, Mary Gaitskill, Emily Maguire, Shelley Jackson, Katherine Dunn, Tom McCarthy and other authors inspired by Sonic Youth's music.

The stories in NOISE contain kaleidoscopic images that are as edgy as the band itself; the Tompkins Square Riots, serial killing Dr. Zhivago fanatics, and Patty Hearst watching the apocalypse on T.V. are some of the images that make their mark in this collection. And that’s just the tip of an off-beat and decidedly surreal iceberg. The band’s guitarist, Lee Ranaldo, has written the introduction to NOISE, giving Sonic Youth’s seal of approval on the collection. We are please to announce that NOISE will be the first installment of a new series featuring writing inspired by innovative musicians. Sonic Youth embodies the word “innovative”—they pushed the envelope on the possibilities of art-rock. As an indie stalwart with a huge and devoted fan base, they have also crossed-over into the mainstream without selling out. They have sold millions of records and their fans are smart music lovers spanning the older generation that have loved them from the early ‘80s to teenagers that are discovering them for the first time. As surreal, paranoid, and pointedly offbeat as the band that inspired them, NOISE is a melding of music and literature with each writer’s inspiration taking them in a different direction, making a final product that is a dark, edgy, and impressive collection of literary pieces.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
Re: Brave Men Read (Or: Write Your Idols Fanfiction)
« Reply #1 on: 01 Nov 2008, 12:49 »

This is actually quite a good idea. Are we doing this?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #2 on: 01 Nov 2008, 13:20 »

I can't wait to read that.

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #3 on: 01 Nov 2008, 13:23 »

It's not meant to be very good.

Sorry guys.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #4 on: 01 Nov 2008, 15:03 »

That sounds so awesome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up