THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 07:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: carbon nanotubes  (Read 6112 times)

cs30109

carbon nanotubes
« on: 06 Nov 2008, 19:21 »

Careful!  These may not be the best scarf material.  They might be carcinogenic.

http://www.nature.com/nbt/journal/v26/n7/full/nbt0708-774.html
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/05/20/carbon-nanotube.html

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
Re: carbon nanotubes
« Reply #1 on: 07 Nov 2008, 19:49 »

Well it seems to compare them to asbestos.  And asbestos is only dangerous in a powder form.  Such a scarf would be made of long threads so you're not likely to inhale something dangerous.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2 on: 07 Nov 2008, 20:11 »

Except that microscopic particles of asbestos escape from the material it's made of, which is a possibility with a thread of nanofiber.

However, carbon nanotubes are, at the moment, still only being considered for microchip purposes, as I understand it.  I don't think anyone's made a nanotube even microns long, let alone long enough to weave into yarn.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #3 on: 07 Nov 2008, 21:56 »

Last year some University of Cincinnati researchers announced having created nanotubes almost two centimeters long.

You are now free to call me a nerd.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4 on: 07 Nov 2008, 22:18 »

That is impressive.  Weavable?  Because if they can be woven, we're talking space elevators.

Maxey

« Reply #5 on: 08 Nov 2008, 04:48 »

Edward D. Wood Jr. would be proud.

Oh, hai!

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #6 on: 08 Nov 2008, 15:15 »

I've often thought Space Elevators to be the absolute maddest idea anyone's ever come up with. Which means that it will probably be the future, and Roald Dahl (author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory [1964] and its sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator [1972]) is the new Jules Verne. Which means, I suppose, we may all be flying in giant fruit soon, too.
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2008, 15:16 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

cs30109

« Reply #7 on: 08 Nov 2008, 18:56 »

Except that microscopic particles of asbestos escape from the material it's made of, which is a possibility with a thread of nanofiber.

However, carbon nanotubes are, at the moment, still only being considered for microchip purposes, as I understand it.  I don't think anyone's made a nanotube even microns long, let alone long enough to weave into yarn.

Yeah, but like the other guy said, the problem is that pieces might break off and be inhaled.

As I understand it, the problem with long nonotubes has been that the catalyst used to grow them seems to get messed up after a while, so the tubes stop growing.  I think there was a breakthrough that was published a couple of years ago (in Science, I believe) where somebody found some set of conditions that kept the catalyst functional.  They were able to grow tubes a couple of millimeters long.  This has now been improved on even further, as somebody else noted.

Presumably, with the right coatings, or by putting the right functional groups on the nanotubes, carcinogenicity could be minimized in the future.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #8 on: 08 Nov 2008, 23:22 »

Well considering they're grown on the backs of space bunnies I doubt length isn't that much of an issue now.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #9 on: 08 Nov 2008, 23:33 »

Well considering they're grown on the backs of space bunnies I doubt length isn't that much of an issue now.

I don't care who you're talking to, length is always an issue.

Gingernut

« Reply #10 on: 09 Nov 2008, 07:56 »

width is a more serious issue.

Cause.

You know.

Width.

Insectile

• Plantmonster
« Reply #11 on: 09 Nov 2008, 21:34 »

Once we master these carbon nanotubes there will be dragons
This is not a discussion forum, it's a forum dedicated to the art of performing textual fellatio of Jeph Jacques.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2008, 11:33 »

How did this thread get from serious science to pricks 'n dragons? Which is, by the way, what Gygax should have named his system. Or maybe it's just the groups I've played with.

There. That oughta take us from derailed to transdemensionalized.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #13 on: 11 Nov 2008, 03:51 »

I was going to say something meaningful and productive to this thread, but jeez...

jeez. You guys really bit the biscuit. I'll just make a fantasy reference and be on my way demoralized that I couldn't post something on here that had any specifc meaning.

We'll make magical nunchaku with these carbon nanotubes all rolled up into a rope. <__<

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #14 on: 11 Nov 2008, 05:25 »

See? satsugaikaze couldn't even make sense of things anymore.

Transdemensionalized, baby!
             /
         :-D

misticloudz

• Not quite a lurker
  • nom nom nom
    • My very own website!! Durrr...
« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2008, 01:55 »

but wait, if the thread's gone trans-dimensional that means that somebody somewhere in one of those gazillion alternate realities has a QC branded love doll.

*shudder*
dude.. wait, what?

KamikaziCal

• Plantmonster
  • TEXT can go here?
« Reply #16 on: 16 Nov 2008, 18:52 »

but wait, if the thread's gone trans-dimensional that means that somebody somewhere in one of those gazillion alternate realities has a QC branded love doll.

*shudder*

Yea. It's me.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #17 on: 17 Nov 2008, 10:09 »

Thank god. I was afraid it might be me and I didn't know it, since it was happening to one of those other mes.

It's frightening, thinking that in some other reality there's a version of you acting on what are simply passing thoughts for the you in this one. I mean, I'd probably catch some horrible disease doing that.

blishfire

« Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2008, 11:12 »

I sometimes ponder if my nightmares are actually my actions in another universe, and am experiencing the netherworld version of me fail utterly. And get chased by rage-style zombies.
Which tbf, was insanely fun.

Either that or get insanely jealous at the "ace-rimmer version" who apparently is hard living, fast talking and womanising. That...hasn't cropped up yet.

- Just to stay on topic;

Carbon Nanotubes! they are to today what stem cells were 5 years ago! and nanobots ten years before that! And computers 10 years before that!
Whats next? Higgs bosons pointing the way to planck energy?
Free energy for the next 10,000,000 years! We could cross into these dimensions and find QC love dolls.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #19 on: 21 Nov 2008, 15:46 »

Or get swallowed by black holes created in our attempt, yes? Is it worth the risk? Are these QC love-dolls animatronic?

Really, though, let's get the space elevators done first. Provided, of course, that they are transparent, covered with LEDs and look like they're going down into a water fountain when they reach ground level. We want a classy elevator, after all.

Phailure

« Reply #20 on: 25 Nov 2008, 13:11 »

sorry to bump but this thread just restored my hope in humanity
Pages: [1]   Go Up