THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 30 Apr 2024, 20:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: So guys which band?  (Read 23464 times)

Fitz

So guys which band?
« on: 07 Nov 2008, 10:53 »

I want to know band that you don't necessarily hate, but you are sick of hearing about.  Although I hate my example (Paramore)  I am sick of everyone sucking their dick all the time.  It is so hard to escape them and I want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty nail every time someone mentions them.  I'm wondering if its just me.  You guys got anything?

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Re: So guys which band?
« Reply #1 on: 07 Nov 2008, 11:07 »

I think we should talk post pictures of Hayley Williams.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2 on: 07 Nov 2008, 11:20 »

I'm too lazy to do so. But someone else do it.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #3 on: 07 Nov 2008, 11:22 »

Slipknot and Katy Perry.
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2008, 11:43 by imapiratearg »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #4 on: 07 Nov 2008, 11:58 »

I half-arsed this, because now that I have a girlfriend I'm not as ridiculously horny any more. But...

In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

mikey_rocks

« Reply #5 on: 07 Nov 2008, 12:25 »

I really don't think that anyone is "sucking paramore's dick". I don't think that anyone considers them to be a particularly talented band. Sure, they have some catchy tunes and they may be enjoyable to listen to, but they aren't innovators by any means.

Really, everyone just has a collective hard-on for their (in my opinion) moderately good looking lead singer. Personally, I find her looks to be pretty hit or miss.

Anyway, I'm pretty sick of hearing about Coldplay. The other day I heard someone say that Coldplay was like a really good mixture of Radiohead and Sigur Ros, which made me pretty sad.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #6 on: 07 Nov 2008, 12:28 »

Coldplay. A million times Coldplay. If I see one more "oh man Coldplay fucking sucks" comment on the internet I'm going to scream. We all get it. I don't like them either. Shut the fuck up about it.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #7 on: 07 Nov 2008, 12:32 »

The entire NME-supported pseudo-skiffle Arctic Monkey-type brand of British guitar-oriented garage rock needs a stiff dose of dick.

I do think Hayley Williams is pretty hot, but that's really her pop-punk-by-numbers band's only real draw.

Cold...play? What is this... Cold... play?

imapiratearg

« Reply #8 on: 07 Nov 2008, 12:38 »

I really don't think that anyone is "sucking paramore's dick". I don't think that anyone considers them to be a particularly talented band. Sure, they have some catchy tunes and they may be enjoyable to listen to, but they aren't innovators by any means.

Really, everyone just has a collective hard-on for their (in my opinion) moderately good looking lead singer. Personally, I find her looks to be pretty hit or miss.

Every time someone mentions them, there are at least a dozen people who chime in "OMIGOD PARAMOAR R SO GOOOODD UUHNNNGGNGNN" everywhere else but this forum.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #9 on: 07 Nov 2008, 12:48 »

Silkworm.

Fuck that band.

spoon_of_grimbo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #10 on: 07 Nov 2008, 12:52 »

The entire NME-supported pseudo-skiffle Arctic Monkey-type brand of British guitar-oriented garage rock needs a stiff dose of dick.

^THIS. 

also, neutral milk hotel.  i can't say i've heard a great deal of their stuff, but what i have heard was pretty unconvincing, and everyone who has even the slightest predilection for indie music seems to have a giant hard on for that band.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #11 on: 07 Nov 2008, 12:55 »

Man, Bedhead, what the shit.

@ spoon_of_grimbo: it's actually more likely that they have a hard-on for Jeff Mangum. Also, I'm guessing that you have horrible tastes in music because you don't like NMH  :-D

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
    • last.fm!
« Reply #12 on: 07 Nov 2008, 12:57 »

Yeah dudes. Fugazi? More like Poogazi

Hare Krishna, did I actually write that?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #13 on: 07 Nov 2008, 14:37 »

Obviously Paramore aren't innovative, but when you consider how old Hayley Williams was in the band's early days, or even now (she's about a month younger than I, I'm 20 as of this month), her voice is extremely impressive in its range, power and nuance.

also, neutral milk hotel.  i can't say i've heard a great deal of their stuff, but what i have heard was pretty unconvincing, and everyone who has even the slightest predilection for indie music seems to have a giant hard on for that band.

This thread just got interesting.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

spoon_of_grimbo

« Reply #14 on: 07 Nov 2008, 15:23 »

@ spoon_of_grimbo: it's actually more likely that they have a hard-on for Jeff Mangum. Also, I'm guessing that you have horrible tastes in music because you don't like NMH  :-D

great, lets make generalisations about my music taste because i have yet to see whats so great about some band you idolize.

notice i said "have YET to see..." - meaning i'd keep an open mind if i were to hear more of their stuff.  in fact, hell, what would you say are their 2 or 3 best songs? i'll check them out and see if i'm converted at all.  not making any promises, but i'll give them another try.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #15 on: 07 Nov 2008, 15:32 »

I think the dinosaur smiley is a pretty good indicator that he was just messin' around about your taste in music.

As far as Neutral Milk Hotel songs go, my personal favourites are "Two-headed Boy" and "Gardenhead/Leave Me Alone"

imapiratearg

« Reply #16 on: 07 Nov 2008, 15:47 »

You kind of have to listen to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea all the way through once or twice to get a real good idea of what they're about.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #17 on: 07 Nov 2008, 16:52 »

Where is the Akron/Family love or Crystal Stilts love, I'm not seeing enough of either anywhere.

spoon_of_grimbo

« Reply #18 on: 07 Nov 2008, 17:12 »

You kind of have to listen to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea all the way through once or twice to get a real good idea of what they're about.

after one listen, i'll concede it's not bad, but his voice kinda irks me.  maybe it'll grow on me, i'll give it a few more goes.  i can't see it ever being one of my favourite albums, but it's not as bad as i'd previously thought.

i wasn't COMPLETELY following the lyrics, but i heard a few mentions of "i love jesus" and the like... are NMH a christian band? 

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #19 on: 07 Nov 2008, 17:16 »

I'm sick of hearing about how "lawl Neutral Milk Hotel are soooooooooo overated!!111 fuck pitchfork!!!11"

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
    • last.fm!
« Reply #20 on: 07 Nov 2008, 17:16 »

Of Montreal - Holy Dicks do these guys ever suck
Sufjan Stevens - Really bland and really really boring.

QFT

Mogwai - buhring and fellated everywhere

Hey, Young Team was amazing!

(ok I based my opinion of Mogwai based on the only album I've listened to, but hell I think it's amazing)

mikey_rocks

« Reply #21 on: 07 Nov 2008, 17:57 »

Death Cab for Cutie - God, Conor Oberst. Go away. Leave my musics alone.

Isn't Death Cab's frontman Ben Gibbard? Conor Oberst is Bright Eyes .. and, I suppose, Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band. I wasn't going to say anything because, in my broad and rather uninformed mind, they are basically the same person (outside of their vocal range). But I did say something because I like Death Cab and Bright Eyes alright, and I was interested to know if Conor Oberst was actually involved with Death Cab.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #22 on: 07 Nov 2008, 17:58 »

Hey do you guys know what bands I am sick of hearing about? I am going to list them now.

Boris - seriously they are OKAY and pretty loud I guess but what is the fucking deal, I don't get it
Of Montreal - Holy Dicks do these guys ever suck
Sufjan Stevens - Really bland and really really boring.
Death Cab for Cutie - God, Conor Oberst. Go away. Leave my musics alone.
Girl Talk - I strolled past a concert and it is the worst thing I have ever seen, easily. Also terrible music.
Mogwai - buhring and fellated everywhere

In sequential order:

-I thought this for a long time too but then I downloaded Pink and got in the right mood and fuuuck it is really nice. It is like really transcendent shoegaze except more metal. They are dark, stormy ocean music.
-Yeah pretty much
-Often incredibly bland, sometimes tosses out a decent pop song
-Conor Oberst isn't in Death Cab and, once you stop stereotyping, their music isn't that similar. I don't love either of them but both Ben Gibbard and Oberst are talented songwriters who, if overrated, still deserve merit.
-Fuck you man. You hate fun! (Girl Talk is not original music, it is just fun remixes for people who love old school hip hop and dancing. His concerts are explosive and probably the most fun I've ever had at a show)
-Probably the only post rock band I can tolerate. Different strokes for different folks, I s'pose.
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2008, 18:01 by Ballard »
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

mikey_rocks

« Reply #23 on: 07 Nov 2008, 18:01 »

Coldplay. A million times Coldplay. If I see one more "oh man Coldplay fucking sucks" comment on the internet I'm going to scream. We all get it. I don't like them either. Shut the fuck up about it.

I agree. But I live in a fraternity house, so I always hear the opposite opinion. Maybe everyone will stop talking about them and they will just go away. I'm starting.... now.

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #24 on: 07 Nov 2008, 18:02 »

Conor Oberst might be a talented songwriter, but man I just can't stand to listen to him sing.  Terrible!

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #25 on: 07 Nov 2008, 18:11 »

Yeah, Conor's voice bugs me a little and Ben Gibbard is bland.

I just don't like it when people knock music for no other reason than it is popular/overrated.

imapiratearg

« Reply #26 on: 07 Nov 2008, 18:14 »

after one listen, i'll concede it's not bad, but his voice kinda irks me.  maybe it'll grow on me, i'll give it a few more goes.  i can't see it ever being one of my favourite albums, but it's not as bad as i'd previously thought.

i wasn't COMPLETELY following the lyrics, but i heard a few mentions of "i love jesus" and the like... are NMH a christian band? 

The Jesus line is supposed to be ironic I guess.  It probably helps to know that Jeff Mangum is an atheist.

Also, Tom:  What are you talking about?  Akron/Family are pretty sweet, I think.  I can't tell whether or not half these posts in this thread are ones like: "Sonic Youth?  Man, fuck them!  They made some awful noises!  Really, they're great though.  I am just making a funny hurr hurr."

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #27 on: 07 Nov 2008, 18:57 »

Not only does Tom Selleck IS Mangum, P.I. practice this brutally obnoxious 'yell-sing' approach on half the album (tracks 2-4 are goddamned near unlistenable!), but he's also traded in his faux-British accent for a Tori Amos-style 'Deep South' idiot drawl; "speaking" is now pronounced "spay-kayng," "way" is "way-ee," "save" = "say-eev," "bright" = "bray-eet," "airplane" = "air-play-eene," "wait" = "way-eet," etc....Mangum's over-loud faux-Southisms...

Mangum is from Louisiana. That is a southern state. Mangum doesn't really have a southern accent when he speaks but it's absolutely possible that when he sings an accent comes out in a more pronounced manner. This happens with a lot of people. Also, this guy is an asshole. First of all, not all the lyrics are about Anne Frank. Second of all, I don't think Mangum is "horny." Some of the lyrics may convey sexual imagery but those are two very different things. Third, this guy is inconsistent. He insults songs only to praise them a paragraph later. Finally I'm a little confused regarding his claims of Mangum's narcissism. An album can be personal and have special meaning to the song writer that may not be apparent to the audience. Art isn't always designed so an audience can understand it. That's not the point. Maybe we don't get all the lyrics because we can't but that doesn't mean Mangum's a narcissist. Far from it. I know this response is poorly written since my mind isn't exactly clear at the moment (if'n you catch my drift) but man, that review isn't well written either and frankly that guy comes across as unintelligent. And a jerk.
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2008, 20:10 by TheFuriousWombat »

Hollow Press (my blog)

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #28 on: 07 Nov 2008, 19:54 »

Also, Tom:  What are you talking about?  Akron/Family are pretty sweet, I think.

I was just saying I don't see enough love for 'em here on this board.

imapiratearg

« Reply #29 on: 07 Nov 2008, 22:04 »

Okay, I couldn't tell.

billiumbean

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • "Clamsss... Waa!"
« Reply #30 on: 08 Nov 2008, 00:17 »

This thread is gold.  I love when the indie culture talks about hype.  It's like

Daft Punk.  As talented and catchy as their stuff gets, they're just like that annoying dude at your Halloween party who dressed up as George Bush.  The bad impersonations and forced bad grammar shtick gets old eventually, no matter how many Matchstick Margaritas you've had...
Quote from: Alex C
I do agree that this could potentially have some dire ramifications in regards to purple drank.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #31 on: 08 Nov 2008, 06:21 »

Boris - seriously they are OKAY and pretty loud I guess but what is the fucking deal, I don't get it

Jens, you are so good at sarcasm. I almost believed you, there!  :-D
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Catacombs

« Reply #32 on: 08 Nov 2008, 07:00 »

the Doors is the most overrated band ever.  Seriously, Jim Morrison is not God-like or anything.  As far as songs go, 'Freebird' and 'Stairway to Heaven' are insanely overrated.

Eventually, I'll do more modern stuff....
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

Metope

« Reply #33 on: 08 Nov 2008, 07:21 »

Deerhoof guys. Deerhoof spews out the most annoying sounds I've ever heard. How so many can tolerate or actually like this music is beyond my comprehension.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
    • last.fm!
« Reply #34 on: 08 Nov 2008, 07:46 »

+1

I dunno, maybe I just don't like Japanese lady vocals, but I really can't get into Deerhoof for the life of me.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #35 on: 08 Nov 2008, 07:57 »

Deerhoof guys. Deerhoof spews out the most annoying sounds I've ever heard. How so many can tolerate or actually like this music is beyond my comprehension.

Kris,

If I had the money, I would fly to Norway just to hug you right now. Frig Deerhoof.

(Jens, I think I over-hype Boris sometimes because I have musical boners for Wata. But I do really really like the music.)
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2008, 08:00 by valley_parade »

Metope

« Reply #36 on: 08 Nov 2008, 08:06 »

Shane, please do! Deerhoof haters of this forum have to stick together, seeing how I don't think there are many of us.

Forumites against Deerhoof unite!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #37 on: 08 Nov 2008, 08:07 »

Sadly, I think it might just be the two of us.

Metope

« Reply #38 on: 08 Nov 2008, 08:14 »

...and TheLetterM up there ^

Well, at least now we know we're not completely alone, that's gotta count for something.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #39 on: 08 Nov 2008, 08:19 »

Sorry I missed you, dude! And you've even got a Teenage Fanclub avatar.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #40 on: 08 Nov 2008, 08:50 »

And me! I've lied about it in the past just so people don't go off on me about how awesomesohmg they are but in reality I've tried many, many times to listen to several different albums and I've yet to get through a whole song.

Hollow Press (my blog)

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #41 on: 08 Nov 2008, 08:51 »

COME OUT OF THE WOODWORK, FOLKS. THERE'S ALREADY FOUR OF US.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
    • last.fm!
« Reply #42 on: 08 Nov 2008, 10:00 »

I pledge my solidarity to the anti-Deerhoof coalition.

Also, call me Christopher.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #43 on: 08 Nov 2008, 10:16 »

I do not hate Deerhoof, I just put them on as background noise.  Not for 'important' listening, just things like cleaning the room or doing homework.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Be My Head

« Reply #44 on: 08 Nov 2008, 12:17 »

I LOVE Deerhoof, I've seen them live and they were awesome and I'm going to see them again when they come back to Ontario.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #45 on: 08 Nov 2008, 12:41 »

the postal service.
fuck that band, seriously.

and broken social scene to a lesser extent. they don't annoy me as much, but i think they're pretty overrated.
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #46 on: 08 Nov 2008, 12:44 »

I honestly agree with the former although, I'm rather partial to Drew's 'solo' record.

Catacombs

« Reply #47 on: 08 Nov 2008, 14:51 »

Speaking of the Postal Service (whom i like a lot) what ever happened to them?  I thought there were rumors of them working on a new album months back, but that was all I've heard
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #48 on: 08 Nov 2008, 21:44 »

Shane, please do! Deerhoof haters of this forum have to stick together, seeing how I don't think there are many of us.

Forumites against Deerhoof unite!

THIS.

Christ I didn't even bother saying this because I didn't think anyone would understand. I've tried multiple times to enjoy Deerhoof and I just don't fucking get it.t

Spluff

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • it is time to party
« Reply #49 on: 08 Nov 2008, 22:58 »

I think we've had this discussion, but the vocals. Argh, the vocals.
[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up