tender

• Not quite a lurker
« on: 07 Nov 2008, 13:41 »

« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2018, 12:17 by tender »

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: Winter Mix Competition
« Reply #1 on: 08 Nov 2008, 06:28 »

Count me in. But at the same time, expect this to possibly contain a lot of ambient and/or drone.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2 on: 08 Nov 2008, 06:32 »

*strokes chin*

Hmmmmmmm.  :evil:
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #3 on: 08 Nov 2008, 06:39 »

I will accept submissions until December 31st, and I will announce a winner in mid-January.

Really? Do you think you can do it this fast? From what I understand Tommy is still not done with the summer mix competition, so I'm guessing a half month might be a challenge. But yeah, I don't know how many people who will sign up for this or how effective you are as a listener/judge, so good luck anyway.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #4 on: 08 Nov 2008, 07:00 »

All I need to do is throw in a Codeine album and I'm done.

Kidding. But count me in.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #5 on: 08 Nov 2008, 07:04 »

Tommy decided not to start listening until after the end, and then found he had lots to go through.  Listening as things appear and making notes might be more realistic.

I expect I'll do something suitably weird.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #6 on: 08 Nov 2008, 08:13 »

After thoroughly enjoying the mixes submitted in Tommy's thread, I decided that there must be another contest.
Therefore, I will host... a Winter Mix Competition! (ooh! ahh! original!)

We used to this this a couple of years back. Just for fun, though. None of that cash-money-prize thing that has been going on here. Also, a few years ago we sent an actual mixtape to people from the forum and wrote reviews on the mixtapes we received (hey Khar, I still listen to yours every now and then).

Anyway, Is money really a motivator for working on mixtapes? I though this was supposed to be a fun way of getting to know new music, and enjoying music you already know in a different context.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #7 on: 08 Nov 2008, 08:19 »

Gotta get paid, son.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #8 on: 08 Nov 2008, 08:30 »

I'm not doing these for the money, I'm doing it for the reasons you specified.  Money makes you try too hard and mess stuff up a little.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #9 on: 08 Nov 2008, 08:33 »

It's inconceivable that anyone here would pay me for what I might produce.  I would do it for fun, to challenge, and maybe to annoy  :evil:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #10 on: 08 Nov 2008, 08:46 »

I might give this a try. I think I have plenty of suitably wintry music. Or, as my reggae loving sister says, "all your music is too sad." We'll see what I come up with.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #11 on: 08 Nov 2008, 09:00 »

I'd personally rather just do another mix exchange, myself, but it won't take me too long to set this up.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

sean

• welp
« Reply #12 on: 08 Nov 2008, 09:02 »

A mix exchange would be really cool. Why don't we just do that, you lame butts?
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #13 on: 08 Nov 2008, 09:02 »

I was actually planning on making a mix for whoever I draw in Secret Santa, to go along with the gift.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #14 on: 08 Nov 2008, 09:17 »

If you want a mix exchange, make one.

I will do this. I will probably not design a cover, as I'm lazy as hell, but I can make a mix.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

sean

• welp
« Reply #15 on: 08 Nov 2008, 09:18 »

I am no good at organizing anything whatsoever, ever.

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #16 on: 08 Nov 2008, 10:23 »

I did the summer mix competition so very long ago and it was fun. I think Winter sounds great too! My music tastes have changed enough that it will be a fun experience to go back over everything and find wintry stuff.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

spoon_of_grimbo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #17 on: 08 Nov 2008, 17:41 »

i assume these mixes have to be within the 80min limit of a standard audio CD?  or can we stretch it a bit seeing as they're being mediaf!re'd?

spoon_of_grimbo

« Reply #18 on: 09 Nov 2008, 06:17 »

It would be nice. Quantity ≠ Quality.
Hey, as long as your concept works, I'm game.

tbh, i've realised half the ones i've put in to start with were just a mad attempt to include all my favourite bands.  i've narrowed it down a lot now.  might have to upload it in two parts, but it should all fit on one audio cd.

spoon_of_grimbo

« Reply #19 on: 09 Nov 2008, 08:33 »

Right then, here's my entry, and it's smaller than I thought, fitting into just one upload.  The front cover is a negative of a night photo I took at the War Memorial Park in Coventry UK, that's been fucked with slightly on a photo editor.

WMA version:
Code: [Select]
http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?edgyennmazm
mp3 version:
http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?jxnmmy2jcqg
1. American Steel - "Shrapnel"
There's something about this song that always makes me think of being in a tiny Irish-style pub around Christmas time, drinking with mates while there's a blizzard going on outside.  I dunno, it just sounds wintry to me somehow.

2. AFI - "A Winter's Tale"
Yeah, mostly because of the name.  And that it follows on nicely from the previous track.

3. Alice in Chains - "Heaven Beside You"
Mellowing out a bit after the first coupla tracks, the whole "coldest winter chill" line, along with the fact that this is a really great and underrated AiC song, made me want to include it.

4. 65daysofstatic - "I Swallowed Hard, Like I Understood"
For the most part, I've tried to stay away from post-rock based stuff (as pretty much any vaguely depressing sounding post-rock instrumental sounds kinda wintry...), but I figured this one HAD to be included, as it's fucking relentlessly bleak...

5. Braid - "A Dozen Roses"
Following on from the sorta downbeat-ness of the previous track, for some reason the sorta icy riffs in this remind me of winter.

6. The Lawrence Arms - "Faintly Falling Ashes"
Possibly the shortest Christmas song ever written, and still really good.  And I thought this was a nice contrast to the last couple of tracks, and leads well into...

7. Hot Water Music - "Seein' Diamonds"
I figured the song's title could refer to seeing ice and frost sparkling in the winter sun.  It's all about the imagery y'all...

8. Bridge and Tunnel - "Night Owls"
Another one that just sounds kinda wintry to me.

9. Banner Pilot - "Overwinter"
The title pretty much sums it up, and just listening to the lyrics, you're there on the street, steam rising every time you breathe out.

10. Amusement Parks on Fire - "Blackout"
Kinda shoegazy, sorta reminds me of driving on winter nights.

11. Faith No More - "Stripsearch"
If there was some kind of dictionary that had songs instead of definitions, this song would be next to the word "icy."

12. The Blueprint - "Broadcast"
Similarly, there's some real fucking cold about the riffs and the production (huge sounding drums and vocals) makes it sound it's being played in a giant ice-cave.  Probably the heaviest song on here, and I think the dark ending to "Stripsearch" leads nicely into this.

13. Devin Townsend - "Storm"
Continuing the slightly metal slant of the previous track, I felt this was appropriate because, what's Winter without a kickass snowstorm, eh?  And it's got some nice icy synths in the background.

14. Cave In - "Down the Drain"
Something of a comedown after the metal section before it, this has got the same kind of huge guitars and kinda icy synth parts, but used in a more mellow way.

15. Idlewild - "Idea Track"
Again, just one that I threw in because it's a great song (and underrated, among the band's back catalog), and it just seems kinda wintry to me.

16. Planes Mistaken for Stars - "Penitence"
This is fucking BLEAK.  Sounds like the last words of some guy dying in a snowdrift somewhere.  And the spooky multitracked vocals where he sings "Be not afraid" remind me of whistling winds...

17. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - "The Ship Song"
18. The Dresden Dolls - "Backstabber"
19. Ginger - "Holiday"

There's something these kinda piano-led songs that reminds me of Christmas, regardless of subject matter.  Although the Ginger track is about flying abroad for the holiday period, so it's kinda extra relevant.

20. Mad Caddies - "Drinking for 11"
Like the American Steel track at the start of this mix, this is one of those tracks that reminds me of drinking in a pub during winter.  Except this one's a bit more depressing.  Like when you're the last one in the bar, drowning your sorrows.  What?!  There's gotta be something on here for those guys who don't have a family to go see at Christmas!  Also, I figured it's pretty amazing that a ska/reggae song could remind me of a season other than Summer!

21. Attack in Black - "Chimes and Church Bells"
Again, just a really wintry kinda song.  Listen to it, I defy you not to think of a winter's morning when you hear it.

22. The Replacements - "Answering Machine"
Because everyone knows what it feels like to be missing someone, and that especially sucks at Christmas.  Also, this is the closer on one of the greatest albums of all time, so I figured it'd be pretty good end to the mix.
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2008, 16:47 by spoon_of_grimbo »

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #20 on: 09 Nov 2008, 08:37 »

6. The Lawrence Arms - "Faintly Falling Ashes"
7. Hot Water Music - "Seein' Diamonds"

You've already won, in my mind.

spoon_of_grimbo

« Reply #21 on: 09 Nov 2008, 16:04 »

oh sorry man, i've got a converter, i knew there was something i'd forgotten to do!  :oops:

i'll re-up it as mp3s in case anyone else wants it too.

EDIT:  I've added a link to the mp3 version in my post above.
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2008, 16:48 by spoon_of_grimbo »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #22 on: 11 Nov 2008, 13:05 »

Here is my entry!

http://www.mediafire.com/?znmydgyngm2
Let me know if a song doesn't work. They are all mp3 and m4a, so they should. A track list is included in the zip.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

sean

• welp
« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2008, 13:02 »

Hey I was just about to make a topic about winter mixes but Liz reminded me this existed. I forgot about this topic!

You wanna put an extension on the deadline? I haven't even started yet and I am leaving home to visit relatives soon and really don't have time to do it this weekend.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: 21 Dec 2008, 18:02 »

(hey Khar, I still listen to yours every now and then).

Yay, that makes me feel warm! Although it reminds me how sending a mixtape with a Burzum song and 'Killing an Arab', with artwork that was mainly splattered blood to Isreal is probably one of the sillier things I have ever done.

Also I will do this and I will win.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #25 on: 22 Dec 2008, 19:58 »

If I made a mix, it would include a lot of Castione For The Painfully Alone, and Architecture in Helsinki...
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Nodaisho

« Reply #26 on: 22 Dec 2008, 20:05 »

So, Dimmukane, you want to be the one that does a mix of nothing but Agalloch, or should I?
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #27 on: 22 Dec 2008, 21:23 »

I'll probably just put up Ashes Against the Grain and Mantle for the hell of it, and then make another mix using Fire Above, Ice Below.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Nodaisho

« Reply #28 on: 22 Dec 2008, 21:46 »

Good idea. Listening to it right now, I think that is probably the best example of their winter songs.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #29 on: 22 Dec 2008, 22:36 »

I believe I have it tagged on Last.fm as: "the song i want played at my funeral as i drift out to the middle of a lake on a floating pyre".

MobyDickhole

• Larger than most fish
  • I'd rather be procrastinating
« Reply #30 on: 22 Dec 2008, 22:52 »

OK:

Perfect Winter Mix right here. Ready?...

Sinatra Christmas Album

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?myzmyrmwwtz

You're welcome.
And without further ado, I am done typing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up