THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 01:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Day The Earth Stood Still  (Read 5524 times)

Mr. Mojo

The Day The Earth Stood Still
« on: 23 Dec 2008, 22:59 »

I saw the previews for this and I'm very curious if it will live up to the original movie. The plot fits the original story a lot more in the remake, but I really LOVED the original. Has anyone seen both? If so, was the remake as great as the original?

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
Re: The Day The Earth Stood Still
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2008, 23:06 »

I've seen both and as all remakes go this one wasn't on par with the original. Now granted it was a good movie but I still like the original better.  Certain plot defferences I'll leave out, so as not to kill the new one, but lets just say its been updated to modern day dilemmas.   
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2008, 23:11 »

Was there as much CGI as I was expecting? Judging by the previews and a few clips it seems as if it takes up quite a bit of the movie.

Oh, and I hope the spaceship was remarkable  :-)

Aurjay

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2008, 23:24 »

I dont want to ruin it for you about the Spaceship. Just know it was nothng at all like the original Spaceship. Hell the best part of the old movie was the Spaceship and the ramp coming out. The CGI was good and didn't take up the whole movie but yeah there was a whole lot of it. Also Gort was completly different from what I remember him as but I think they updated him nicely so no big deal there. 

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2008, 23:30 »

Seeing as how you can tell me much I'm assuming it's all part of a big puzzle and every piece is important. I think I'm gonna go see it with my movie dork friend, so I can listen to her constantly critique the movie. I like intricate plots....

Aurjay

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2008, 23:33 »

Ya id say go see it won't lie its not some big puzzle im leaving out for you, just dont want to ruin any of the differences for you. Come back here after your done and I'd like to discuss with you whether you liked them or not.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2008, 06:13 »

I considered seeing this for the Wolverine trailer attached, but the fact it was outperformed by Twilight, Four Christmases and the latest Adam Sandler piece of shit on Rotten Tomatoes made me reconsider. Seriously, accurate or not, it got an aggregate rating of 20%. Anything under 60% is generally considered bad, 20% is just universally atrocious. That's actually worse than all but the latest Saw movie.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

mishy

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2008, 08:55 »

a tidbit from imdb.com: According to Keanu Reeves, in The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) Klaatu was an alien WITH a human body, while in this film Klaatu is an alien IN a human body.
it got 5.8/10 on imdb which frankly sucks for something that deserves to be excellent.  (yes i know a lot of people prefer the harsher critiques of Rotten Tomatoes. i prefer imdb with a spoonful of salt. and in this case, imdb also says it should've been better than it turned out to be.)

i haven't seen the remake yet. i probably won't pay money to do so.
although... Will Smith's son plays World of Warcraft in the movie... i don't know, i just want to see that. am i weird? yes...

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2008, 09:13 »

although... Will Smith's son plays World of Warcraft in the movie... i don't know, i just want to see that. am i weird? yes...

Holy damn, really? Well, I suppose now I have to see it, I'll probably go sometime after xmas or just get a torrent or something like that.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2008, 17:21 »

I saw it with my cousin and his friend and they seemed to lik it, but they haven't seen the original.  Unfortunately I only vaguely remember the original, I think I saw it when I was a little tyke.

I was a little confused with the pacing, but I loved the special effects.  I would have loved to see more of GLORT.

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2008, 21:16 »

I just saw it. Not sure what to think of it. I definitely know the original is better hands down. Glort was pretty cool.... The whole metal bug thing was kind of cool. The kid was a dick, at first anyway, opposed to the original where the kid and Klatu hit it off automatically.  Anyway, while writing this I realized it was a pretty interesting movie, although nowhere near as great as the original.

Oh, and the special effects? AMAZING.

Aurjay

« Reply #11 on: 26 Dec 2008, 17:18 »

Ya the kid bugged me as well. He went from being a dick to all of sudden liking Klatu. Klatu saved him from falling off the log after the kid already liked him so that wasn't it. Kid was just annoying in this one whereas the kid in the orginal was great. The bugs eat everything concept was awesome i definitely enjoyed that. So what did you think of the orbs instead of spaceship? I liked it, but still missed seeing the cool spaceship.

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2008, 15:17 »

Honestly, I thought the best thing about this movie was John Cleese, and I was infuriated to no end by yet another movie where Keanu Reeves plays a jesus character. I don't have particularly high standards for films and TV (I mean, I enjoy Hannah Montana for god's sake) but this was such trash, that I actually wished I could turn back time and waste my £5 ticket on Twilight instead.

My friends consider the highlight to be when I unintentionally waited until the quetest moment in the entire movie to announce at conversational volume that I really needed to pee.

oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #13 on: 30 Dec 2008, 19:29 »

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!

The whole orb thing didn't really impress me. I was expecting a completely epic spaceship, but all I got was glowing light. I mean the whole concept that they were arks was really cool, but there being no spaceship leaves more to be desired from the movie.

Gemmwah, I would not see Twilight even if I were given all the money in the world. I refuse to throw more coal into the polluting furnace known as Twilight. Anyway, it wasn't that bad. It surely could have been worse...

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #14 on: 30 Dec 2008, 21:45 »

Keanu Reeves can go far....far away as far as I'm concerned....hasn't done anything *decent* in a long time.  He apparently wants to be Spike Spiegel in a Cowboy Bebop movie....

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2008, 21:52 »

Seriously? You know they could pick someone a lot better than Reeves for that part...

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2008, 00:59 »

if by "someone" you mean practically anyone?  Then yeah.

sieckanddestroy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #17 on: 31 Dec 2008, 07:59 »

I liked it as its own movie, separate from the original, but this pretty much shows my problem with the ending.
Kovacs pretending to be Rorschach or Rorschach pretending to be me?

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #18 on: 31 Dec 2008, 17:12 »

Which is mostly what I mean Ikrik. I've been trying to decide who would make a great Spike, and I honestly can't think of anyone in Hollywood who could possibly do a good job.

Oh, and that comic sieckanddestroy, that's more or less how I felt.

Wyr

« Reply #19 on: 01 Jan 2009, 00:09 »

Just my canadian penny, but considering how horrible me and everyone I knew -thought- it was going to be, I really liked it.

TheDozarian

• Emoticontraindication
  • I am Dozer the Dozarian... bring me marshmelons...
    • I'm old but I have a myspace...
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan 2009, 08:10 »

I have to agree... I was a fan of the original.  I expected this to blow goats... Going in with that expectation, I think what I got wasn't that bad.  Granted, I like Keanu and his unique delivery.  Could it have been better?  Sure.  Was it terrible?  Nah... I liked it better than I liked Twilight...  But then I think Twilight wasn't exactly aimed at my age group...

All in all the effects were great.  The pacing could have used a little work...  But the movie was okay... A rental, but not a terrible one.
It is what it is... But if I kill it, then is is dead?  So if dead is is, is it dead?

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #21 on: 14 Jan 2009, 08:39 »

I just got the original on DVD.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #22 on: 14 Jan 2009, 10:22 »

Seriously? You know they could pick someone a lot better than Reeves for that part...

are you kidding? this is the role Keanu was born to play: a humorless alien who doesn't have any semblence of human emotion.

it's perfect.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #23 on: 14 Jan 2009, 12:20 »

HURF DURF ORIGINAL
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up