THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 17:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Review Sites  (Read 4313 times)

iamiam

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Music Review Sites
« on: 12 Mar 2009, 20:28 »

I'm curious if any of you have a site or blog you particularly like that review or discuss music.  I know about tinymixtapes and enjoy it, and also about Pitchfork but am not particularly a fan.

So... who or what do you guys recommend as a music information source and why?

PS I used the search function to find out if there had been a thread like this already.  Nearly every thread that popped up was an argument about Pitchfork.  Hopefully this thread won't turn into yet another one of them ;)
Quote from: meebo
[11:09] Darryl: MaiAda: the Beat Happening of the QC boards
[11:10] Darryl: so subtly subversive that not everybody can even tell
[11:10] Darryl: punk as fuck
[11:10] Darryl: ponies and rainbows

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
Re: Music Review Sites
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2009, 20:43 »

The sites that seem to be most in line with my personal tastes at the moment are Cokemachineglow and Sound As Language (focuses more on punk/emo/post-rock). Exclaim! is pretty decent, but I usually have a copy of it in print instead of checking the site.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2009, 20:53 »

I rather like You Ain't No Picasso. It likes Boat.
it's time to stop posting

Koremora

• The German Chancellory building
  • Oh, hey.
« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2009, 22:04 »

Drowned in Sound is pretty good for a larger company type review website. They tend to focus on the positives of a record, and stay away from the hipster douchebaggery that plagues music reviews (like a certain website that we know, usually used in lynching in conjuction with torches...). Also, Allmusic generally does a good job with reviews. They're concise, to the point, and don't require you to break out a thesaurus to sift through their masturbatory language.
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2009, 22:17 »

Cokemachineglow

I liked Cokemachineglow a lot more before it became unreadable. I still sometimes pop in there to have a look around, and to quietly cry to myself when I remember what it used to be like.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2009, 22:45 »

I've actually kinda been wondering lately how best I might keep track of new developments and releases in the world of doom, drone, sludge, stoner and related metal type things. Decibel looks kinda cool so far but I haven't read much and I'd like to look at a physical copy of the magazine before I subscribe.

Fishboy

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2009, 00:24 »

So how about that pitchfork site eh guys?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2009, 04:57 »

www.rockmidgets.com

Because I write for them.

Woo.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2009, 06:36 »

I liked Cokemachineglow a lot more before it became unreadable. I still sometimes pop in there to have a look around, and to quietly cry to myself when I remember what it used to be like.

Yeah I've noticed a pretty pronounced dip in the quality of their reviews lately as well. I haven't lost faith quite yet though. I still like their podcasts an awful lot.

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2009, 06:53 »

I'm a fan of Dusted, which often overlaps with Tiny Mix Tapes, CMG or similar sites but often has some more esoteric recordings as well.

Or for totally weird shit (with a smattering of related metal) Brainwashed is awesome.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2009, 07:52 »

Because I write for them:

http://www.dieshellsuit.co.uk/

(I don't mind pitchfork, it's like reading the Daily Mail, you have to have a shit filter on.....)
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2009, 09:01 »

I've actually kinda been wondering lately how best I might keep track of new developments and releases in the world of doom, drone, sludge, stoner and related metal type things. Decibel looks kinda cool so far but I haven't read much and I'd like to look at a physical copy of the magazine before I subscribe.

Stonerrock.com ain't too bad.  I mean, it's mostly user reviews of things, but it's not just a bunch of people posting their opinions on an album.  They also get some decent interviews in from time to time.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Bowers

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Breadsticks
« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2009, 11:16 »

I write for these guys

www.audioscribbler.co.uk

ThePianoMan

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2009, 15:01 »

I'm curious if any of you have a site or blog you particularly like that review or discuss music.  I know about tinymixtapes and enjoy it, and also about Pitchfork but am not particularly a fan.

So... who or what do you guys recommend as a music information source and why?

PS I used the search function to find out if there had been a thread like this already.  Nearly every thread that popped up was an argument about Pitchfork.  Hopefully this thread won't turn into yet another one of them ;)
Allmusic.com is usually good, but they compartmentalize their reviews, so you'll occasionally see some horrible mainstream album getting a high review. If you can ignore that, it's a great site. Littlewhiteearbuds.com and residentadvisor.net are good for electronic music reviews.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar 2009, 15:05 »

Tinymixtapes is consistently good, but depending upon what you're looking for they might not cover you. Pitchfork seems to have fallen out of favor and been replaced with Cokemachineglow in a lot of circles, which is unfortunate as it seems to me like Cokemachineglow has all of the negative aspects of Pitchfork with very few of the positives.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK
Pages: [1]   Go Up