THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 07:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's See Dragons?  (Read 9961 times)

actreal

• Emoticontraindication
  • Loved by good, feared by evil
Let's See Dragons?
« on: 21 Nov 2008, 03:09 »

I'm with Hanners and Marten - I'm never going to try LSD.

So someone with more hands-on knowledge, tell me: is an LSD trip anywhere near as described in panel 4 of today's comic (#1279)?
Quote from: Hannelore
COME ON THEY ARE BUILDING A RAMP

Puki

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: Let's See Dragons?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2008, 03:46 »

Well, this is not "hands - on", but - one dude that I barely know ended up on the ER because he had panic attacks when he took LSD - apparently, as he remembers, we were bears trying to steal his foot. Go figure.
 Personally, I'm not planning on taking any chemical drug, I am weary (uhm...scared of8I'm not sure if that's the similar meaning, and I have class in, like, 15 min, so I can't google it) of te consequences.

stereobreadstick

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2008, 05:27 »

In my experience not so much.  I've had vines growing out of my face though, that was fun.

nerv

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2008, 05:46 »

It's pretty unlikely that you'd look at your friends and see them as dragons on LSD, although stranger things have happened. It would have been more realistic if Tai were spend 20 minutes trying to explain why the coffee grains in her cup are so hard to concentrate on yet look so cool when they dance around like that... then giggle for several hours. Unfortunately that kind of stuff is only funny when you're mashed, and makes for poor comedy. (Unless you're Bill Bailey)

I have had very, very vivid lucid dreams with the drug however, and you could definitly roll with dragons in that case, if it's the kind of thing you like.

The thing with LSD is, you get to spend a few hours with your senses rewired just enough that everything seems like a new experience, even your tidal breath tastes and feels different. Inwardly, your thoughts fly by at an insane rate, however this generally doesn't bother you as much as you'd expect it to.  I've found that if I focus on a particular issue (like my nicotine addiction) I'm able to approach it from a irrationally rational point of view, often seeing things from an angle that would never have occured to me. It's very good at helping you strip past your self-conscious bullshit and figure out your anxieties in a calm manner. This is where I assume LSD would help people with OCD.

LSD isn't physically dangerous, but it can put you in an emotionally fragile place, if you're happy, warm and secure it can be incredibly rewarding, akin to 8 hours of meditation with added looking at shiny things, but without the wild rushes and waves of a mushroom trip. I've never had a bad trip on LSD (Mushrooms are different, you have no control with those bad boys), but I can understand exactly where it'd come from.

Unfortunatly it's also illegal to possess in most countries, so I didn't tell you to do it :)

Aye, I registered to post this. I really like LSD, but wouldn't do it all the time.

-scrEMO-

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2008, 06:21 »

i like mushrooms, though never tried LSD... i think it would be too scary....

HANNERS DRAGON IS SOOOOOO CUTE!!! <3 :-D

blishfire

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2008, 09:53 »

It should technically be "occipital lobe", the audiovisual cortex...doesn't really exist

But im european. or Asian. Eurasion. Eurovision.

Dont hate!

stupidsongs2

« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2008, 10:18 »

Firstly:
http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_LSD.shtml

Tons of trip reports, far better than what i can describe.

And yes, if you take enough LSD and get into the height of "the fear", people will take on a reptilian quality, but the scope of how awesome it is nothing that I have ever seen drawn or in film.

Watch "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" The whole film is like an acid trip, and it has some good scenes in it.

"With a bit of luck, it’ll ruin his life—forever thinking that just be—hind some narrow door in all his favorite bars, men in red Pendleton shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he’ll never know." - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Cvantez

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2008, 12:27 »

The problem is, the one thing that will ensure Hanners has a bad trip is worrying badly about it. LSD is not the drug for winding down after a stressful day.

Let's see Dora as a dragon! And Sven! And Faye! And PINTSIZE!
These people here, they're so lazy
They stay inside and watch shows
You chose
Not to be one of those
But you still don't know
How a good life goes

Gingernut

« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2008, 13:14 »

My mother once got lost in a very small library under the influence of LSD. My dad once spent three hours giggling and watching fractal patterns mating. Don't ask how, I don't know, I was already wanting to stop them from telling me about it at this point.

I know people who both have had awesome times on LSD and never any bad experiences. But my mum knows two people who've been in psychiatric care for the rest of their lives from one bad trip.

Not something I'm ever risking. Heard enough from my parents on both the good and bad to know that for someone like me, with a very fragile grasp on reality to start with, that it is a bad idea.

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2008, 14:28 »

Ive taken pretty much every form of LSD and also have eaten wild shrooms and shrooms from a "smart shop" in Amsterdam.
LSD is more a body and mind trip whereas things look cooler, you feel great, and your mind is racing over a million thoughts. Shrooms grown in the wild are a whole other story. I have seen things that I knew where not possible. I've seen peoples' faces melt and a brick fireplace play like an piano. Shrooms grown in the "Smart Shops" of Amsterdam, really depend on the potency. I took a light potency cuz i was afraid of being in a country where i didn't know anyone, and so i tripped a lot like i would have had i eaten LSD. 

All in all its a great experience just make sure you know what your getting and you do it in a safe environment around people you trust. 
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Alyxz

« Reply #10 on: 21 Nov 2008, 16:29 »

It's not like most people think.  You're more open to the power of suggestion.  Stare at a wall for three hours and try to convince yourself you can see it breathing, if you really try, you can.  On acid it happens automatically.  Your eyesight goes a bit whacky, like leaving the exposure open to long on a camera (literally...your pupils actually dialate).  Things begin to trail in the same way that a video camera will on the wrong setting.

Emotionally you're much more open to suggestion.  If you're the sort of person who has "panic attacks" then having one at this time could be bad.  You could seriously mess yourself up.

I not only don't have panic attacks, but I'm not entirelly sure I even understand them.  You get really stressed right?  In any case I've done pretty much all the "no nos" on acid...shrooms from the shops in Amsterdam...that sort of thing.  Being left alone, being left alone in the dark, sleeping, showering, having a shave, wandering the streets of a foreign city where I don't speak the language ALONE, Disney world (the haunted house is as good as you would think, but Space Mountain could change the way you think).   If you're the sort to roll with it no matter how weird things seem it's not as crazy as folks make it sound.

In the end, you're still driving.  The steering wheel may be a little looser.  The brakes are slowed, and the wipers don't work very well (so avoid things like...driving or any sharp objects), but you're still the one steering.  You know whats real.  You can convince yourself of all sorts of things (people do that cold sober all the time...like spilling salt is really going to cause a demon to snatch you up) but it's still you doing the convincing. 

I think allot of people use it as an excuse to be dumb.  Same with everything.

Some people will get stumbling drunk off Dr. pepper if you tell them it has everclear in it.

QCNerd

« Reply #11 on: 22 Nov 2008, 10:25 »

HANNERS DRAGON IS SOOOOOO CUTE!!!

Agreed.  I love how she clearly communicates anxiety even in dragon form.

Rudy Rudy

« Reply #12 on: 22 Nov 2008, 13:58 »

Is the dragon a common LSD theme? One of my trips was spent finding dragons hidden in the smoke from my cigarette, and a friend of mine said he hears wings flapping and always thinks that they are dragons flying over.

BrilliantEraser

• The German Chancellory building
  • We're kings among runaways
    • Brilliant Eraser Productions
« Reply #13 on: 22 Nov 2008, 14:30 »

It should technically be "occipital lobe", the audiovisual cortex...doesn't really exist

But im european. or Asian. Eurasion. Eurovision.

Dont hate!

The audiovisual cortex does in fact exist. It is not a set area of the brain (a separate lobe such as with the occipital, temporal, parietal, or frontal), so it would probably not show up in any basic anatomy textbook. However, it is a functional part of the brain that receives and processes information coming from the eyes and ears. I will go and get my notes if you are more interested in it?
Quote from: Khar
*bloop bloop bloop*

lily-kiernan

« Reply #14 on: 23 Nov 2008, 22:50 »

HANNERS DRAGON IS SOOOOOO CUTE!!! <3 :-D

Dear GOD yes she is! She's ADORABLE!
Pages: [1]   Go Up