Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 20 Sep 2020, 10:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 236529 times)

sitnspin

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #1400 on: 18 Aug 2020, 09:22 »

Started reading Harrow the Ninth, sequel to Gideon the Ninth. More lesbian necromancers in space. It is difficult to describe without spoilers from the first book. The tone is quite different from the first book as Harrow and Gideon are vastly different characters. If you've read the first book and liked it, I still suggest you pick this one up.  If you haven't read the first one, then I definitely recommend you remedy that.

I repeat: Lesbian Necromancers In Space.
@syleegrrl

LeeC

• coprophage
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1401 on: 18 Aug 2020, 11:22 »

Lesnecrostronauts
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #1402 on: 18 Aug 2020, 13:25 »

SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome by Mary Beard. A very fascinating quick race through the first thousand years of Rome that sets out to answer the question: "Just who were these people anyway?"
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

sitnspin

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1403 on: 18 Aug 2020, 13:27 »

Lesnecrostronauts

With swords.
@syleegrrl

dutchrvl

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #1404 on: 18 Aug 2020, 15:09 »

Lesnecrostronauts

Necrolesmonauts (I've always preferred cosmonauts over astronauts)

oddtail

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #1405 on: 19 Aug 2020, 01:30 »

My wife and I have a tradition of sorts that I read her books out loud in bed, before we go to sleep. We haven't done that in a few years, but I decided to resurrect this little ritual, and started with "The Wizard of Earthsea". Partly because I'm coming back to Ursula LeGuin (I've read embarrassingly few books by her and I want to remedy that), partly because I've never read the book in the original English, and partly because my wife never read the book at all (which is a BOOK CRIME).

The book is as delightful as I remember it, and much more interesting on the language layer than the Polish translation (even though it was done by a brilliant translator). My wife seems to like the book, too. When we finished reading for the evening after the first chapter, she was all "noooooooo keep reading, I'm invested now and want to know what happens next". It's not typically her reaction to books I read, even ones she enjoys listening to.

So yeah. Definitely a good pick for us.

Castlerook

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Captain Sarcastic
« Reply #1406 on: 19 Aug 2020, 03:42 »

Work has been so quiet the last couple of weeks that I've taken to listening to audiobooks. Just finished listening to Sepulturum by Nick Kyme.

And I'm glad its done.

Its a horror novella in the 40k universe and is about the opening stages of a Plague of Unbelief (zombie outbreak). And it was just soooooooo boring. None of the characters were likeable or engaging and for so short a story jumped between nearly a dozen characters, had the barest amount of characterisation. It also has my biggest peeve about zombie fiction -
(click to show/hide)

Its hard to get annoyed when it was a free audiobook, but in case anyone was thinking of getting it, avoid.
Whenever someone says "I'm not book smart but I am street smart.", all I hear is "I'm not real smart, but I am imaginary smart."

LeeC

• coprophage
« Reply #1407 on: 19 Aug 2020, 20:59 »

I just finished another Robert E Howard Conan story: Shadows in the Moonlight

It was pretty good and had some mystery elements to it. Not in my top 5 Conan stories, but it was interesting to say the least. Conan, escaping to a remote island with a girl (Olivia) he unintentionally rescued, encounters pirates, strange iron statues, and something is stalking them in the trees. I liked that Olivia actually did something and had a bit of an arc compared to some of his previous traveling companions (male and female).

The next one on my list I have been lead to believe is one of, if not the, most popular stories along with a favorite character among fans and artists. "Queen of the Black Coast"
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Theta9

• The Tickler
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #1408 on: 21 Aug 2020, 13:29 »

Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

LeeC

• coprophage
« Reply #1409 on: 04 Sep 2020, 13:54 »

Finally finished Robert E Howard Conan story Queen of the Black Coast.

I have the collection as an audiobook so I had to listen to it in installments over the course of a week or so since I drive less now. Honestly I think it was to the stories detriment that I broke it up. I thought it was great but I think I would have received it well if I read it instead of listened to it. It also had a few things going against it.

1) The narrator gave BÍlit a soft pleading sounding voice which seemed counter to her dialogue and personality. It should have been more of a commanding fierce voice, but when it comes to feminine voices his (the narrator's) range isn't all that diverse. It probably would have been better if I read it instead of audiobook this story.

2) There is a lot of hand waving in the beginning of the story to get Conan aboard the BÍlit's ship and as part of her crew. Before and after that moment the story was pretty good.

Barring those issues, it was pretty good. I can see why its generally in the top 5 original Conan stories for some. (I think when I get through all these, I'll rate them all myself). Certain parts of the story is definitely dated, and if I was to bring this to a visual medium, I would probably give the Tigress crew a bit more "screen time" (see spoilers)* but other than that, it would translate pretty well as an episode on Netflix or some other streaming service. Maybe an hour long episode like Star Trek tends to do, but I am not sure it would work as a movie, unless you expand or pad it a bit more.

I also noticed that Valeria from the Arnold movie draws a lot of inspiration from the character BÍlit. Some of Valeria's lines/actions are ported or paraphrased straight from BÍlit's in this story. Compared to some of the other Conan stories, this one was pretty grim, but its a nice change of pace instead of the freeze-frame endings of the last few stories.

(click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]   Go Up