THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 396733 times)

Stephquiem

• Plantmonster
    • Tumblr
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #450 on: 16 Mar 2011, 12:57 »

Evercrossed by Elizabeth Chandler.

I'm completely lost on why anyone felt this book needed to be written. The last one was written in 1995. What would possess someone to write a sequel to a series they'd finished satisfactorally (or satisfactorally enough, anyway) sixteen years ago? I think I'm reading it purely in the hope that it will not totally disappoint me like I think it will.

And... just for clarification: "Trilogy" still means "three," right? They didn't change the meaning since I last looked or anything? It doesn't now mean "four, more than likely five"?
Insert sarcasm here.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #451 on: 19 Mar 2011, 12:13 »

just started A Clash of Kings.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Durin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #452 on: 24 Mar 2011, 12:54 »

The Character of Physical Law by Richard Feynman
Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
In the Aeroplane over the Sea by Kim Cooper (from the 33 1/3 series. This one came highly recommended so I decided to check it out)

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #453 on: 24 Mar 2011, 15:22 »

Maus by Art Spiegelman.
A friend of mine lent it to me; she just fiished reading it for her english class. about graphic novels. I am jealous.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #454 on: 24 Mar 2011, 15:35 »

Man, it seems like every single month I'm hearing about someone who's reading Maus. 

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
The Stranger by Camus

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #455 on: 24 Mar 2011, 18:57 »

Does anyone know where I can get a french copy of Camus' the Stranger? Amazon and ebay are failing me.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #456 on: 25 Mar 2011, 00:23 »

Amazon and ebay are failing me.

Really?  Amazon.ca and Amazon.fr both give L'Étranger as the first result when you search for just "Camus" (IME, Amazon logins work over all their sites).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #457 on: 25 Mar 2011, 01:59 »

Try a bookstore's online service. I found this easy-peasy on borders:
http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=0679720200

Zingoleb

« Reply #458 on: 04 Apr 2011, 12:22 »

I FINALLY grabbed a copy of American Gods by Neil Gaiman. He is seriously my favourite writer, so I can't wait to dig into this.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #459 on: 04 Apr 2011, 13:57 »

I'm just about to finish The Adventures of Huckleburry Fin, which I've loved, to my surprise. I wasn't convinced at first but then slowly began to realise that it is masterfully written. Thank goodness for my Kindle, I'd never have picked it up in a library or a bookshop.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #460 on: 04 Apr 2011, 18:40 »

Current focus of reading

Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy

You know, I've always felt that that book would make the mother of all war films.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #461 on: 07 Apr 2011, 18:22 »

I just finished reading Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli. Really great graphic novel. Very well ilustrated, well written, I would recommend it.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #462 on: 07 Apr 2011, 19:48 »

A Writer's House In Wales, by Jan Morris.  I recommend it highly. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #463 on: 08 Apr 2011, 09:23 »

Current focus of reading

You know, I've always felt that that book would make the mother of all war films.

Concur - much better written than most of the other books he wrote, this would be on the order of a movie like "A Bridge Too Far" in terms of length and breath of material, but the sheer breadth of the material and necesary sets would probably stymie most production companies.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #464 on: 08 Apr 2011, 14:49 »

I've started reading, for what is probably the 10th time, Anna Karenina. See whether I get further this time.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #465 on: 08 Apr 2011, 17:21 »

Current focus of reading

Concur - much better written than most of the other books he wrote, this would be on the order of a movie like "A Bridge Too Far" in terms of length and breath of material, but the sheer breadth of the material and necesary sets would probably stymie most production companies.

Probably true 10-15 or so years ago, but with the advances in CGI and Animation techniques that has gone on in the recent decade or so, it just might be a doable film these days.
James The Kugai 

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #466 on: 11 Apr 2011, 07:44 »

That and there are a lot of Warsaw Pact vehicles that could proabably be picked up for some of the shooting
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #467 on: 11 Apr 2011, 14:43 »

That and there are a lot of Warsaw Pact vehicles that could proabably be picked up for some of the shooting

True enough.  It would certainly give the rusting stuff a 'Good End' so to speak. 
James The Kugai 

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #468 on: 12 Apr 2011, 11:07 »

just read daniel handler's adverbs, some of the decisions he makes are cloying and obnoxious but for the most part the book is too lucid & incisive for that to really matter
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Stephquiem

• Plantmonster
    • Tumblr
« Reply #469 on: 13 Apr 2011, 14:04 »

I just finished reading Where She Went by Gayle Forman. I can't decide if I'm mildly disappointed with it because my expectations were way too high, or because it was actually a let down.

At the moment, I'm reading The Complete Peanuts: 1979-1980 because I'm such an intellectual.
Insert sarcasm here.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #470 on: 14 Apr 2011, 15:30 »

Good grief!
James The Kugai 

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #471 on: 25 Apr 2011, 04:17 »

I've just finished reading A Game of Thrones. It's the first fantasy book I've read since I rushed through Lord of the Rings way back before the first film came out, and I really only read it because my curiosity was piqued by the HBO TV series and because all you nerds keep banging on about it.

It was good, definitely very gripping and at times exciting, and I've got the second book and I'm kind of eager to read it, but on the other hand I kind of feel like I can't quite face up to diving into the second book just yet (I only finished the first last night) because it's a thousand fucking pages long and I don't know that I can quite face up to immersing myself into that much oppressive violence and cruelty again just yet. Not that I think for a moment that the violence in the first book was exploitative, but it was very upsetting - as I think depictions of violence in art ought to be - and I could just do with a break, regardless of how excited I am to find out what happens next.

So for now I've gone back to my old stand-by, Muriel Spark, to read the Comforters. Of course Spark is not exactly the warmest or most loving of writers but she's hands-down one of the wittiest which comes as a great relief after George R. R. Martin's world. Take this exchange, for instance:

'. . . How has she been lately?'

'Miserable. She's gone away to some religious place in the north for a rest.'

'She won't get much of a rest in a religious place.'

'That's what I thought. But this is one of Mother's ideas. She gets together with her priests and builds these buildings. Then they dedicate them to a saint. Then mother sends her friends to stay in them.'

God I love Muriel Spark.

Dollface

• Bling blang blong blung
  • And i thought there would be breasts.
Barfy: he needs to get on the sucking of some dick

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #473 on: 06 Jun 2011, 07:43 »

Gravity's Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #474 on: 08 Jun 2011, 01:08 »

Freedoms Landing by Anne McCaffrey
James The Kugai 

Dollface

• Bling blang blong blung
  • And i thought there would be breasts.
« Reply #475 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:08 »

Barfy: he needs to get on the sucking of some dick

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #476 on: 29 Jul 2011, 11:55 »

currently about 20 or thirty percent through Darwin's Origin of Species

good read for sure, but it's kind of hard because he's trying to convince people that have never heard of natural selection that it's real, when i've known that natural selection was real for my entire life. so half the time, im saying "well duh" and then the other half i'm going "wait what?" This is due to both the archaic language he uses, and also his lack of data that we now have. For example, he makes almost no mention of mutation, which is a crucial element, and if he does he generally calls it something weird, or attributes it to something else. he doesn't even know about DNA! how quaint!

anyway, it's pretty awesome. one of those things i think everyone should try to read at some point, just because it's so important.

pretty much only reading it because A) i never have before, and B) because i've been having a hard time coming up with good fiction to read because of lack of funds and also nothing has really sounded that appealing to me.

Origin of Species was free, and i love science and evolution and stuff, so it was an easy sell
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #477 on: 31 Jul 2011, 17:05 »

Grave Peril - Book 3 of the Dresden Files, and now I have the whole series - or at least, what's been written so far.  Going to be fun getting through them.  One of my favorite series' ever.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

IMMANotListening

• Emoticontraindication
  • OHAI
« Reply #478 on: 02 Aug 2011, 05:17 »

Diamonds Are Forever by Ian Fleming.

I'm never really been impressed by James Bond novels but they are always my go-to for trashy fiction so...
Heaven and Hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad/But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue." - David Hume

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #479 on: 08 Aug 2011, 17:57 »

So like I'm a couple chapters into A Feast for Crows and it's starting to dawn on me that R.R. Martin has been gradually trying to rid his writing of any sort of catharsis whatsoever

I mean, it's an entertaining read if you want to avoid specifics but honestly so much terrible shit happens in the past book or two that even events that might have been remotely positive have not been satisfying at all

Also some people I know have been wierdly gushing over how awesome a character Cersei is and I really don't get it  :mrgreen: Even when Martin's diving into her head in some of the pov chapters she's still utterly predictable and just a flat Bitchy Narcissist Powergrubbing McBitchface ugh
Nice intrigue in the plot even though the reader knows half of what's happening before the other characters do so we get to hear about how Bran and Rickard and Arya and Sansa are dead for nearly two books when we all know that they aren't HURR

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #480 on: 08 Aug 2011, 18:27 »

I'm only 1/6th through a Clash of Kings and what is it with the elder Baratheons and their crazy wives.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #481 on: 08 Aug 2011, 18:46 »

The longer you read through the series the more you'll realise that there are only a few wives in the story

There are the walking doormats, the batshit insane wives, and there are the widows

And if they don't end up dead by the end of the series they will have neatly slotted into one of those three

IMMANotListening

• Emoticontraindication
  • OHAI
« Reply #482 on: 09 Aug 2011, 03:32 »

I've almost found it depressing as I'm getting through the series because so far with A Feast for Crows, nothing is getting done. At all.

I thought it was a little interesting to dive into Cersei's head even though it's not like finding out (through her head) that she's an uppity-super-bitchy-skank was groundbreaking. I do find it entertaining that although she knows how to 'play' the 'Game of Thrones', she has absolutely no idea how to keep winning and be in control of a very political environment. Especially how she alienates herself from Jaime and the rest of the Lannister family; trying to win over loyalty through 'special benefits'.

I just wish it would go back to the reader not knowing what's going on because 'X1 person trying to find X2 person, questions are they still alive' whilst 'X2 person is figuring out their own shit miles and miles away from where X1 person is' is just long-winded and unexciting.

Also, at this point, I would not be surprised if Martin decided to pull a 'EVERYBODY DIES' on the readers.
« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2011, 03:34 by IMMANotListening »
Heaven and Hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad/But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue." - David Hume

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
« Reply #483 on: 12 Aug 2011, 10:18 »

I'm taking a little break the usual lengthy novels I read, to focus on some short story collections and graphic novels.

Short stories -

Slow Learner - Thomas Pynchon
Last Evenings On Earth - Roberto Bolano

Graphic Novels -

Ego & Hubris - Harvey Pekar
Mid-Life - Joe Ollmann
Life In Pictures - Will Eisner
Ronin - Frank Miller
Big Baby - Charles Burns
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

My Aim Is True

« Reply #484 on: 12 Aug 2011, 10:28 »

Sorry for the double posting and quotes, but I've tried to make this halfway readable, while still responding to the most recent page (I won't dig up every single book I like form the previous 9 pages)

Gravity's Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon

Awesome. I read that about a year and a half ago. I'm going to go back SOMEDAY and read it again.

Stuck Rubber Baby by Howard Cruse - a graphic novel about the Civil Rights movement and being gay in the 1960s rural South.  Best graphic novel since Maus.

I read that a few months ago. The at bugged me at first, but I got used to it. Really good character development. Though the time period, and hence cultural subtext are differe, I really recommend you check out Mid-Life by Joe Ollmann. I feel like the personal nature is similar to Stuck Rubber Baby.

I just finished reading Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli. Really great graphic novel. Very well ilustrated, well written, I would recommend it.

I've heard great things about that, been meaning to check it out.

ashashash

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #485 on: 13 Aug 2011, 00:49 »

I'm also reading Gravity's Rainbow at the moment.

I'm going through all the Animorphs books too because I never finished the series when I was a kid... Book 24, represent.

My Aim Is True

« Reply #486 on: 13 Aug 2011, 04:22 »

They actually had animorphs when you were a kid... another thing to make me feel old.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #487 on: 13 Aug 2011, 09:02 »

Yeah Animorphs! I think I'm still on book 35-ish, but I took a break to read some Dresden Files.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

tjradcliffe

• Plantmonster
    • TJRadcliffe
« Reply #488 on: 02 Sep 2011, 20:10 »

"The Gods of Mars"--Edgar Rice Burroughs. Trashy fiction becomes literature when left to ferment long enough!

"Terminal World"--Alastair Reynolds.  Never read Reynolds before, but this one grabbed me in the first few pages.  Hope it holds up!

Just finished:  "Julius Caesar"--Philip Freeman.  Solid biography. though tends to become a bit "and then..." toward the end.
Illustrated Web serial novel! http://www.songsofalbion.com

Zingoleb

« Reply #489 on: 17 Sep 2011, 22:46 »

The Transitive Vampire: A Handbook of Grammar for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed

To be honest, I actually grabbed it because I thought it said The Transvestite Vampire.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #490 on: 18 Sep 2011, 00:17 »

Tbh, that's how I just read the title.

I'm currently 1/4 of the way through Embassytown. China Mieville is my fave.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #491 on: 19 Sep 2011, 15:35 »

For years I stubbornly claimed not to like Discworld. Then I read some Discworld by accident and realised how wrong I was. So at the moment I'm reading Unseen Academicals.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #492 on: 21 Sep 2011, 07:06 »

Finished A Dance With Dragons recently.

I dunno, dudes
Sometimes there's this unvalidated but niggling feeling whenever I put the book down that this whole story could have been written far more efficiently

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #493 on: 22 Sep 2011, 13:45 »

Heinrich Böll - Als der Krieg ausbrach ("When the War Broke Out")

http://books.google.de/books?id=HdleNfKrcKAC&pg=PA568&lpg=PA568&dq=when+war+broke+out+b%C3%B6ll&source=bl&ots=V-CKVCwjvG&sig=vvWGZb_IArVPK9D2afCPuTFPbZ8&hl=de&ei=65x7Tq3xNYOZ8QOm0uTiCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CEMQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

I´ve only just read the first 2 stories but it´s quite good.
I don't think I understand all the references but it is of a wry humor and disgust for the oppressive militarism.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #494 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:10 »

White Night - of the Dresden Files.

Can someone tell me how the hell Jim Butcher got so good?  I swear it feels like I KNOW Dresden, instead of just reading about him in a book.  The last character I gave that much of a shit about was Roland Deschain, of Gilead.  It feels nice to care again.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

IrrationalPie

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #495 on: 24 Sep 2011, 03:37 »

Voltaire - Candide

Theriandros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #496 on: 28 Sep 2011, 19:28 »

Reading Crime and Punishment. Started it a few months ago, but my paperback was so old it fell apart after about 70 pages. Finally got a new copy a few days ago.

Zingoleb

« Reply #497 on: 29 Sep 2011, 14:44 »

For years I stubbornly claimed not to like Discworld.

Why would you claim that.
Also, what does that have to do with the quote?

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #498 on: 29 Sep 2011, 18:24 »

Doing a bit of light reading with a couple of books at the moment

Sassinak by Anne McCaffrey and Elzabeth Moon

Dwellers In The Crucible by Margaret Wander Bonanno
James The Kugai 

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #499 on: 30 Sep 2011, 03:51 »

Also, what does that have to do with the quote?

Barmy was probably just saying she thought the same. She then tried to separate the two topics by dividing with a number of blank lines or maybe I'm reading to much into it and I should just get off the internet now.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29   Go Up