THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 02:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 396946 times)

Penheart

• Plantmonster
  • Cause the voices tell me to
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #600 on: 17 Jun 2012, 13:34 »

"Oliver Twist", "What it's like to go to War" Gulliver's Travels", "Mid Summer Night's Dream", and "The King Must Die"

I recommend all the first four books, especially "Gulliver's Travels" and "What it's like to go to War" for anyone and everyone who likes to read.
I'm only 35 pages into Oliver Twist and I already feel more sorry for a person than I've ever felt for anything. I just want to hug him and tell him that it'll be alright.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #601 on: 17 Jun 2012, 20:32 »

I started reading American Gods recently. I read Neverwhere for a school project and then found out later that Neil Gaiman was married to Amanda Palmer and that he wrote it. I was doing pretty well and flying through that book, having a grand time doing so, but lately I've been too busy drinking and feeling sorry for myself to do much reading.
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

Skaltura

• Furry furrier
« Reply #602 on: 22 Jun 2012, 20:36 »

and

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #603 on: 22 Jun 2012, 20:52 »

I finally finished reading the entire Animorphs series. And the cliffhanger at the end just pissed me off.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #604 on: 23 Jun 2012, 03:19 »

Did you lose a bet?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #605 on: 24 Jun 2012, 14:09 »

"The Impossible State: North Korea, Past and Future"
Victor Cha

This adds to the literature in giving a detailed history of diplomatic efforts and gives informed opinion about the motives of the NK leadership, but isn't about the internals of NK (except for an interesting list of coup attempts, about which he's oddly confident of details that other sources consider uncertain).

He describes a growing belief among involved parties that the only solution is reunification.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #606 on: 25 Jun 2012, 05:53 »

The Flinch, a free kindle book. I like books that tell me something about myself, even more when they're not trying to. I don't like books that tell me something about myself that I already knew, even less when they're trying to. This book falls in the latter category. Though it seems like a good excercise of free will. I wouldn't recommend it to myself, so I don't feel like I can recommend it to anybody else, but if you want to read it, you can download it from Amazon for free.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #607 on: 25 Jun 2012, 10:15 »

Re: Ender's Game conversation...I didn't particularly care for Ender's Game. I can't tell you why exactly, because it's been a while, but would I probably like Ender's Shadow better? Or should I just try different sci-fi?

The first three books I've got lined up to read are Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, The Botany of Desire, and Last Child in the Woods. I've been meaning to read Philip K. Dick for aaaaaaaages and I managed to snag a copy at Half Price Books. (I've seen all the movies based off of his works, I think it's high time to actually READ them.) The other two I had the intention of reading while I was working on my thesis (I did manage to read a bit of Last Child in the Woods - it was good), but, ha, I never had time because I was swimming in articles and writing. So yeah. Here's hoping I manage to find time now that I'm trying to re/decorate a house and here's hoping I can manage to pull myself away from Diablo III when I'm not doing house stuff.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #608 on: 25 Jun 2012, 13:15 »

Linds, I think it depends on what you didn't like about Ender's Game :) I know a lot of people couldn't stand Ender's character and that's part of why they preferred Ender's Shadow. I don't think I could pinpoint why I prefer it to Ender's Game; I just found Bean to be a more enjoyable character, and part of it may have been that it filled in a lot of the storyline of Ender's Game - if I'd read ES first, maybe I would have preferred EG. If you don't care for OSC's writing, though, none of the books will really appeal to you, most likely.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #609 on: 25 Jun 2012, 15:21 »

It wasn't the writing, I enjoyed the writing. I think it was all of the violence centered around children that left me a little uneasy. Which mostly centered around Ender, so he was probably the problem for me. I do remember liking Bean, so maybe I'll give it a shot.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ackblom12

« Reply #610 on: 25 Jun 2012, 16:08 »

Actually, there are kind of a lot of problems with the message in Ender's Game if you look at it with a critical eye. I enjoy the book, but part of it is that Ender is portrayed as a totally blameless murderer. It wouldn't be so problematic if Ender was a lot dumber than he was supposed to be, but can you seriously believe that Ender thought he was beating someone into submission rather than trying to kill them in the descriptions of his fights?

Here is an essay on a lot of the problems with the book. I don't necessarily agree with every point made, but most of it is pretty spot on from my readings.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~tenshi/Killer_000.htm

Of course I refuse to give any money to Card anymore anyways. Fucking bigot.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #611 on: 26 Jun 2012, 07:06 »

I was already a huge Evangelion fan before I read Ender's game, so whiny protagonists and violent children do not bother me anymore.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #612 on: 29 Jun 2012, 08:18 »

_The Crisis of Zionism_, Peter Beinart.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #613 on: 13 Jul 2012, 15:17 »

I've been reading Ray Bradbury's short stories (R is for Rocket). It's undeniably sci-fi of the 'just go with it' variety. Otherwise, I like it.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #614 on: 14 Jul 2012, 07:53 »

Finished Five People You Meet In Heaven. Simple enough, sweet wee story. Short, about 250 pages and jumps back and forth in time and through different scenarios but is very easy to follow. Read it over four nights so I'd recommend it if you're in between books.

Rereading Misery for the God-knows-what time now while I'm waiting for someone to lend me Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I've seen the film but long enough ego my memory has blurred slightly for the finer details and I won't be constantly comparing it.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #615 on: 14 Jul 2012, 08:08 »

Albom, the author of Five People... is a sportswriter here in Michigan. It's definitely worth a read, but I've never read his first one, Tuesdays with Morrie. I read all of The Girl series and saw all three Swedish films with English dubbing. Despite that, preferred the Swedish film to the American Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #616 on: 14 Jul 2012, 09:47 »

We read Tuesdays with Morrie for English class in high school. Awesome book, but damn, it made me cry.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #617 on: 14 Jul 2012, 13:02 »

Guess I'd better read it. I won't say making me cry is necessarily the mark of a good book, but it's certainly the mark of an engaging one. I was in tears, sobbing -- this belongs in confessions -- when Ayla's Neanderthal mother died in Clan of the Cave Bear and wondered if I was substituting my own mother. For better or worse, I was much more detached when she died more than a decade later.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #618 on: 15 Jul 2012, 16:08 »

_Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origin of Modern Sexuality_, Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jetha.

They argue, based on comparative anatomy, consistent features of sexual behavior, and study of contemporary hunter/gatherer groups, that humans are not "designed" for lifetime pair bonds but are at heart more like bonobos, sharing partners and child-rearing responsibilities with the other members of a tribe of at most 150 members. In their view, the widespread current paradigm of a man buying exclusive access to a woman is an artifact of the recent change to agricultural societies.

Provocative, and full of horrifying historical material.

Extensively researched, though I'm not qualified to evaluate the quality of their work.

May be worthy of a Discuss thread if anyone else reads it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ackblom12

« Reply #619 on: 15 Jul 2012, 16:43 »

Sex at Dawn is actually a really common book suggested to people looking into non-monogamy/polyamory/etc. I've got mixed opinions on it for that purpose, since I think that Evo-Psych is kind of a horrible basis for relationship advice.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #620 on: 20 Jul 2012, 10:11 »

"The Silver Ship and the Sea", Brenda Cooper.

EDIT: "Cats in the Sun", Hans Silvester. It's a collection of photos.

EDIT: "The Theory of Moral Sentiments", Adam Smith.
« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2012, 15:24 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #621 on: 07 Aug 2012, 11:27 »

Can you buy a Maxtor at a Mac store?
No, and you can't buy a Mac at a TJ Maxxstore. Not that I've tried.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #622 on: 07 Aug 2012, 15:22 »

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. I started reading it before and loved it but stopped for some reason. Loving it again.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #623 on: 10 Aug 2012, 21:30 »

"Erotic Tongue: a Sexual Lexicon", Lawrence Paros. A history and compendium of sexual euphemisms and slang, almost all from English, going back to Chaucer.

A fun book for people who see English as an inexhaustible toy.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #624 on: 11 Aug 2012, 08:36 »

"Bossypants" by Tina Fey - happened across it so I figured why not. Amusing, and some fun anecdotes, but it felt very scattered, like she didn't know what to write about so she just wrote down whatever was in her head at the time and nobody thought to try to make it all cohesive. It felt like she wasn't sure whether to make it an autobiography or a book of anecdotes or an inspirational book, and she couldn't decide whether she liked herself or not.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #625 on: 13 Aug 2012, 12:52 »

Brenda Cooper, "Mayan December".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow
« Reply #626 on: 14 Aug 2012, 04:47 »

Currently reading Murder on the Orient express, Agatha christie,

I have a fondness for the Poirot books.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #627 on: 15 Aug 2012, 05:22 »

I think "Death in the clouds" was the first english fiction I read outside of school :)

right now creeping through "Light in August"

and "The 7th cross" by Anna Seghers.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #628 on: 15 Aug 2012, 17:43 »

The Last Christian, by David Gregory.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

JayJay

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #629 on: 15 Aug 2012, 17:51 »

Hi there people :D

I'm re-reading "a dance with dragons"
anyone read that too?

I'm a big fan of the songs of ice and fire series :P

VonKleist

« Reply #630 on: 16 Aug 2012, 01:29 »

I may be an anomaly. I read "Shadowmarch" and "Dragonbone Chair" and didn't read any further.

Zingoleb

« Reply #631 on: 25 Aug 2012, 23:48 »

Sex at Dawn is actually a really common book suggested to people looking into non-monogamy/polyamory/etc. I've got mixed opinions on it for that purpose, since I think that Evo-Psych is kind of a horrible basis for relationship advice.

What would you recommend w/r/t/ books on non-monogamy? I rather loved The Ethical Slut (I loaned it out but it never was returned to me) and would like to read more.

Mostly I learn just from being in Seattle. Seriously, at least 90% of the people I know here are poly.

ackblom12

« Reply #632 on: 26 Aug 2012, 08:01 »

The Ethical Slut,  more specifically the 2nd edition, I personally found great, but I think it is for a slightly narrower audience than I would prefer It does go a litle more into the philisohpical side of poly and I think is a little more geared towards folks who are already mostly convinced Poly is for them and gives you more tips on how to be ethically non-monogamous, how to deal with jealousy and has a bit of the hippy dippy thought process behind why it is kind of a better option for most and also kind of delves into the spiritual aspects a bit. The main problem the book has, which was greatly reduced but still present in the 2nd edition, is the over use of the spirituality and anti-monogamy rhetoric.

I think the more universally useful book on the subject is probably Opening Up: A Guide to Creating and Sustaining Open Relationships. While the book does cover some aspects of the spirituality of polyamory that makes so many Atheist, such as myself, roll their eyes, it isn't part of the core philosophy as it is with The Ethical Slut. It goes into just how difficult it is to try and start up the levels of communication required for non-monogamous relationships, how poly got started in the US and what exactly are the social, mental and sexual benefits of going into the lifestyles. What it does best with though, is that it's very monogamous friendly and is actually written in such a way as to help those who are monogamous understand the concepts and does it in such a way that it doesn't try to invalidate either choice. It's an especially great read for those who are trying to make the shift from mono to poly/open/etc and those who are simply trying to understand the lifestyle better, whether it's because they want to stop judging their friends who are non/monogamous or just for curiosity sake.

Sex At Dawn is just... dodgy I think. Outside of it being Evo-Psych, which makes me incredibly skeptical the moment it's brought up anyways, it also has a lot of somewhat dodgy logic, science and a lot of extremely eurocentric and heteronormative problems. It's well liked by a good chunk of folks, but it's to be taken with several grains of salt.

Zingoleb

« Reply #633 on: 26 Aug 2012, 18:38 »

The Ethical Slut,  more specifically the 2nd edition, I personally found great

Well, I was rather already convinced that polyamory was right for me, I was just not...experienced in dealing with it. I got the second edition myself, and never read the first, and

how to deal with jealousy

this bit was probably the single most useful piece out of all of it.

I think the more universally useful book on the subject is probably Opening Up: A Guide to Creating and Sustaining Open Relationships.

I do like the sound of this one a lot. I plan on getting it and reading through it and sending it to my father to see what he thinks of it (not because I think he would benefit from polyamory, but to help him understand - he seems to accept the fact I am poly, even though he doesn't seem to understand it at ALL).

Thanks!

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #634 on: 29 Aug 2012, 13:49 »

Currently been reading the 'Odd Thomas' books by Dean Koontz.  I didn't realize he'd gotten up to 5 of them now, and some comics thrown in to boot - but I find the character (Odd Thomas) to be a wonderfully likeable person.  He feels real, and that definitely makes me like him, so yeah...

Also, looking to find a copy of 'Freakonomics'.  Been wanting to read that for a while.

Hmmm - reread all of the Dresden books, because 'Ghost Story' left me wanting more, and who knows when the next one will be out.

Also, reading 1Q84, which might be the strangest book that I have enjoyed.  I can't really tell you why I like it, but I absolutely do.

Oh, and somewhere in there, I finished 'Under the Dome' by Stephen King.  It was fun, if not too deep.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #635 on: 02 Sep 2012, 23:06 »

"Lord Jim", Joseph Conrad.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #636 on: 03 Sep 2012, 08:08 »

The Lovely Bones.  Because I had a week at the beach. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #637 on: 03 Sep 2012, 08:23 »

Discworld stuff.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #638 on: 05 Sep 2012, 18:58 »

Just finished  the 'Hunger Games' trilogy again.  Christ I hate the movie more every time I read the books.  They just did NOT do the story justice.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #639 on: 13 Sep 2012, 17:03 »

"The Paranoid Style in American Politics", Richard Hofstadter. From the 50s. It sounds contemporary, except that the paranoid freaks of his time were better grounded in reality that today's are.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #640 on: 16 Sep 2012, 09:15 »

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories. So far I'm not really enjoying it, but my boyfriend insists that I must keep reading because it is the best thing ever.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #641 on: 16 Sep 2012, 10:30 »

See, he thinks it is the best thing ever because...well, wouldn't you make someone think that if you could mess with their brain? It's obviously all part of a ploy to get as many people to read it and then achieve world domination.

Although now that I think of it, all Cthulhu would have to do is wander down the street...
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #642 on: 16 Sep 2012, 14:03 »

Murakami, What I talk about when I talk about running.

So far kind of liking it, mainly the parts which are not about running at all. I must say he may overestimate his talent for writing though. I think he is a wonderful story teller and I love reading his books, but he seems to think he is a talented author, which I'm not so sure about, it just seems he has a great imagination and the right mindset for writing books, combined with a very good work ethic. Or maybe that's what he means... I just mean that he's not a Steinbeck or Strindberg or whatever. But blah, I still like his books, some of them I love, that's not the point.

I don't think I have a point, now that I think of it. I'll abandon this post. Post abandoned successfully.

ponderch3rry

• Plantmonster
  • lollercoaster
    • Seek Porpoise - A webcomic
« Reply #643 on: 19 Sep 2012, 16:55 »

Just finished  the 'Hunger Games' trilogy again.  Christ I hate the movie more every time I read the books.  They just did NOT do the story justice.

Watching the movie really put me off wanting to read the books. I may grab the first one to see if I can banish the weak plot line of the movie from my mind, whilst doing my best to take in the book as a separate entity.
My webcomic:
www.seekporpoise.net

~~~ om nom nom nom~~~

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #644 on: 20 Sep 2012, 02:40 »

I bought a load of Discworld books a couple of weeks ago. Just realised one of them is signed, but it isn't a particularly rare one.

Zingoleb

« Reply #645 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:25 »

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories. So far I'm not really enjoying it, but my boyfriend insists that I must keep reading because it is the best thing ever.

They're pretty great stories, they're just horribly written. Especially with the plot device refrain of

Quote from: Every H.P. Lovecraft story ever
One time, there was this big and scary thing that was so big and scary, I can't even begin to tell you how big and scary it was, that's how big and scary it was. You should be scared now.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #646 on: 20 Sep 2012, 06:01 »

Exactly! It's just been really hard to get through this book. But I'm going to keep going at least until I can finish the Call of Cthulhu.

VonKleist

« Reply #647 on: 20 Sep 2012, 06:12 »

The novellas especially have their stretches but overall I think the atmosphere is worth it.

If you are so inclined you can listen to a lot of free Lovecraft stuff here ->http://hppodcraft.com/

ackblom12

« Reply #648 on: 20 Sep 2012, 07:48 »

I'd say calling it bad writing isn't fair in the least, but it's definitely not easy reading. By far the hardest thing I have a hard time dealing with is the incredibly blatant and terrible racism, even for the time. By the time he gets to the Dreamscapes that is mostly done and over with, but it's pretty blatant early on especially.

If you are actually interested in going for it, I'd say the novella "At The Mountains of Madness" is the most accessible starting point by a long shot.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #649 on: 20 Sep 2012, 14:18 »

Quote from: ponderch3rry
Watching the movie really put me off wanting to read the books. I may grab the first one to see if I can banish the weak plot line of the movie from my mind, whilst doing my best to take in the book as a separate entity.

The books are actually very well written, and the movie felt more like, 'The Hunger Games, Lite' by comparison.  I knew that was probably going to be the case, because there is a fuck-ton of Katniss simply going through her own mind, thinking through a situation.  There were times when I read the books the first time that I was literally thinking to myself, "Goddammit girl, you're not thinking this through the right way!  Pull your head out of your ass!"  but that's just good writing if you ask me.  Drew me in pretty good. :)

My blog
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29   Go Up