THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 12:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 403917 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #800 on: 30 Apr 2013, 15:57 »

Gareth, let me explain this way. They did a study a few years ago about how quickly members of the U.S. armed forces reintegrate to civilian society, to be a complete civilian again I mean. I lost the citation but the tables are as follows:
Airforce - 6 months to a year
Army/Navy - 1 year of reintegration for every year served
Marines - Never

So yes, the Corps is what I am. Being a Marine is part of the very fabric of what makes me up as an individual. It's a little worse for me because it's family tradition to serve. Again mostly in the Marine Corps.

That's what you get for joining a cult though, and per Marine Corps order we never leave the service. You're a Marine till you die, and if there's an afterlife you're expected to promptly report in at your next duty station.

"Marines are about the most peculiar breed of human beings, I have ever witnessed. They treat their service as if it were some kind of cult, plastering their emblem on almost everything they own, making themselves up to look like insane fanatics with haircuts to ungentlemanly lengths, worshipping their Commandant almost as if he were a god, and making weird animal noises like a band of savages. They'll fight like rabid dogs at the drop of a hat just for the sake of a little action, and are the cockiest sons of bitches I have ever known. Most have the foulest mouths and drink well beyond man's normal limits, but their high spirits and sense of brotherhood set them apart and, generally speaking, the United States Marines I've come in contact with are the most professional soldiers and the finest men I have ever had the pleasure to meet."
                                                                                                                                                                                          -Anonymous Canadian Citizen
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2013, 16:07 by GarandMarine »
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #801 on: 30 Apr 2013, 16:25 »

Right, but again, in the nicest possible way, do you seriously not do anything else?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #802 on: 30 Apr 2013, 16:37 »

There's a whole holy fuck ton of posts that suggest  if not flat out state that it's not all I do just in this forum. So I'm forced to interpret this as more intentional then you're trying to come off. I talk about not Jarhead stuff constantly. It's the bulk of my posts.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #803 on: 30 Apr 2013, 16:46 »

Marine - I mean this not to sound mean but as a genuine question from someone who's never known a military man; is your entire life being a marine, revolving round that?

Well, I should hope not. Otherwise I'm tangled up in a very, very strange mission of his.
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #804 on: 30 Apr 2013, 16:54 »

Valdis, I've been sent back in time from the year 2155, I'm a member of the Star League Space Marine Corps, and you are the target of assassins from the future. Come with me if you want to live.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #805 on: 30 Apr 2013, 17:00 »

There's a whole holy fuck ton of posts that suggest  if not flat out state that it's not all I do just in this forum. So I'm forced to interpret this as more intentional then you're trying to come off. I talk about not Jarhead stuff constantly. It's the bulk of my posts.

It's honestly not intentional in the least, there's a lot of new posters around and I still don't know you very well. I think this is pretty obviously my issue with reading a post about marine related stuff, and clocking 'oh it's Garand' and then not necessarily clocking other posts as being you.

Just checking it was my fault >_<

Genuinely sorry for any offence caused.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #806 on: 30 Apr 2013, 17:08 »

It's cool I just tend to assume an anti-military slant when people start asking questions like that. So it's my bad as well. Sorry Gareth.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #807 on: 30 Apr 2013, 17:15 »

I was pretty left wing when I was younger but I'm not against military folk in any sense, it's just something I could never possibly understand as a motivation.

And I just remembered there was that photo of you in the Star Trek gear. That was you right?

Okay so you're Star Trek Marine, WE CAN DO THIS

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #808 on: 30 Apr 2013, 17:26 »

Yep that was me XD

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #809 on: 30 Apr 2013, 17:29 »

STAR TREK MARINE TO THE RESCUE

IN COLOUR

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #810 on: 30 Apr 2013, 17:40 »

Valdis, I've been sent back in time from the year 2155, I'm a member of the Star League Space Marine Corps, and you are the target of assassins from the future. Come with me if you want to live.

y-You really are just here on a mission? Not to woo me? Who says I want to be saved anymore..! ;_;

can i go to the future with you? if so the answer is definitely still yes

I was pretty left wing when I was younger but I'm not against military folk in any sense

Hey now, someone being on the left-wing politically doesn't make them anti-military. Only fools think you can have a functioning society without defending it. :-P
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #811 on: 30 Apr 2013, 17:42 »

That's a different debate, my point was that I was pretty hard left and so anti-nationalism and I considered all soldiers to be nationalists and so fuck those guys. That was my opinion at the time anyway.

These days I just don't even understand nationalism, and I do struggle to see how one would become a soldier without some kind of nationalistic streak. But I'm always willing to learn when it comes to these things.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #812 on: 30 Apr 2013, 17:43 »

y-You really are just here on a mission? Not to woo me? Who says I want to be saved anymore..! ;_;

can i go to the future with you? if so the answer is definitely still yes

It can't be both?

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #813 on: 30 Apr 2013, 18:41 »

=O

take me with you?

Also, i'm left wing (all the parties are fucked up, but they're the least of all evils) and i got nuttin but respect for the US military. In fact they're one of the few parts of the US governemt i DO have repect for.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #814 on: 01 May 2013, 10:41 »

Currently reading 'How to Kill'  A history of assassinations - not the CIA training manual that used to exist.

Oh, and being former Navy, I can tell you that 'There is no such thing as an EX-Marine.' is not just a saying.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #815 on: 01 May 2013, 12:41 »

Actually there being no such thing as an Ex or Former Marine (unless you're stripped of your title/position by receiving a bad conduct or dishonorable discharge) is a Marine Corps order as well as tradition.

Currently rereading Red Storm Rising. I freaking love this book.

Danni

• Plantmonster
    • Arte de Danni Secchiona
« Reply #816 on: 03 May 2013, 19:08 »

Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene.

Actually, I start tonight.

I read his other book Elegant Universe and it was a fun read, the library didn't have the others I was looking for so figured this should be a reasonable alternative.

I did just finish "The Quark and the Jaguar", or is it "the Jaguar and the Quark"?  forget but its written by Murray Gell-Mann, the guy who actually named Quarks quarks - very fun read.

oh, and Hi, I'm new
the squirrels want your nuts

Death squirrel wants YOUR SOUL

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #817 on: 06 May 2013, 03:21 »

Moving on to The Dream Drugstore. This book is amazing! It attempts to explain all aspects of dream-related experiences from a whole-brain perspective, and it's doing a pretty good job of it so far.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #818 on: 06 May 2013, 10:20 »

I'm on book 6 of 9 in the Young Wizards series, and I think further than I ever read it originally. The first four were as good as I remembered but now I'm getting into some parts that hit fairly close to home and it's harder to enjoy them.

I tried reading The Elegant Universe but never finished it. I don't recall where I heard about it but I definitely knew the title and went looking for it in the library. I think I was about 5 years too young to really have any idea what I was getting into.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

mtmerrick

« Reply #819 on: 06 May 2013, 17:57 »

Dai'stiho Cousin!

I love the young wizards books.
My favorites books 2, 3, and whichever A Wizard of Mars is. :P

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine
« Reply #820 on: 12 May 2013, 15:02 »

House of Leaves is blowing my mind. And now I finally get this comic! http://xkcd.com/472/

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #821 on: 19 May 2013, 11:14 »

The Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes novels seem to be getting worse. "The Moor" has her kvetching constantly and contributing little.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ackblom12

« Reply #822 on: 09 Jun 2013, 16:27 »

R.I.P. Iain Banks

Iain Banks Dead at 59

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #823 on: 10 Jun 2013, 00:44 »

After seeing the trailer for the new movie, I borrowed "City of Bones" from a friend and started reading it. I'm not completely sure if I like it yet, the general plotline is kinda predictable.

ThomasEll

• Plantmonster
« Reply #824 on: 10 Jun 2013, 01:02 »

R.I.P. Iain Banks

Iain Banks Dead at 59

:( RIP

Currently I'm rereading the Night Watch series.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #825 on: 10 Jun 2013, 02:13 »

Night Watch? As in Lukyanenko?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #826 on: 10 Jun 2013, 02:26 »

Night Watch? As in Lukyanenko?
I hope so, because those books are truly awesome. When I read them it took me a while to comprehend the world he's describing but once I got into it, it was great. I was amazed how different the writing style apparently is in Russia.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #827 on: 10 Jun 2013, 14:40 »

I always found Lukyanenko awful to read in any language but Russian, because Russian names take up to twice so many letters in English/German  :roll: Glad he gets some love, though. I truly love some of the characters. You may guess my favorite character.

Spoiler: She is a (I think True Neutral) High Witch.

The movies are an awful bastardization of the story, though. They get a few shout-outs in the book and are by Word of Canon set in an alternate universe.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #828 on: 10 Jun 2013, 14:45 »

To be honest, I barely remember any characters besides Anton and Boris (who was always my favourite). Do you mean Anton's later wife? Can't remember whether she was neutral...

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #829 on: 10 Jun 2013, 14:53 »

To be honest, I had trouble remembering which one was Boris... until I realized you meant Geser. I am still not sure whether I don't prefer Zavulon over Geser. I mean. Zavulon is an asshole. But he kicks ass. Geser is slightly less of an asshole. But he is kinda lame.

No, the one I mean is
(click to show/hide)
Anton's later wife is
(click to show/hide)

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #830 on: 10 Jun 2013, 15:07 »

God damnit, even reading the name I can't remember who she was... Is she the one Anton encountered in that wood cabin?

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #831 on: 10 Jun 2013, 15:26 »

Yesss.

The part where he suspects her of being a witch, but doesn't yet know for sure. She serves him tea:
"It's really nice to have an electric cattle", I said. "Heats water quickly. Where do you have electricity from anyway, Arina? Somehow I never noticed cables going to the hut."
Arina's face faltered. She said lamentably:
"Maybe the cable is underground?"
"Nuh-uh", I said, carefully spilling the tea on the ground. "This is not the right answer. Try again."
Arina bobbed her head in annoyance.
"What a shame... getting caught on such a small detail."

ThomasEll

• Plantmonster
« Reply #832 on: 10 Jun 2013, 16:15 »

Yeah I'm reading it in English, and while they are very good, there are some parts that fall a little flat (like some jokes), although I think that's because part of the joke revolves around a play on words in Russian that isn't easily translatable.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #833 on: 10 Jun 2013, 16:27 »

If you need any part explained, just ask. I have the full four-book-volume.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #834 on: 15 Jul 2013, 11:55 »

Cryptonomicon.  I enjoyed Snow Crash immensely.  Should be good stuff.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #835 on: 19 Jul 2013, 06:15 »

I've recently read Wool and Shift, by Hugh Howey; waiting on the third in the series. Great books, they somehow manage an original aspect on the dystopian-future theme.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #836 on: 26 Jul 2013, 00:39 »

I have just finished reading Rana Mitter's new book China's War With Japan 1937-1945: The Struggle For Survival. It is very good, and I recommend it strongly if you are interested in 20th century history. The book is due to be released in the USA in September under the title Forgotten Ally: China's World War II, 1937-1945.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Dream

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #837 on: 28 Jul 2013, 09:47 »

I don't really read books so much as listen to them by virtue of audiobooks. That said, the most recent book i've been reading is George Orwell's "The portrait of Dorian Gray". I have to admit, i am surprised at how interesting and engaging the book particularly regarding the characters.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #838 on: 29 Jul 2013, 00:03 »

The Lord Of The Rings
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #839 on: 31 Jul 2013, 10:52 »

"Names for the Sea", a memoir of moving a family to Iceland.

"Little Fuzzy", H. Beam Piper.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
  • My username is from some cartoon or something...
« Reply #840 on: 31 Jul 2013, 14:44 »

Ship of Gold in the deep blue sea, by Gary kinder. Slow beginning, but picks up in the middle.
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #841 on: 05 Aug 2013, 11:12 »

So, I just finished A Storm of Swords, and am by that a little ahead of the TV show (Game of Thrones, duh). I really want to jump on to the next book immediately, on the other hand I want to delay it until I've watched season 4 of GoT, since I believe you get more out of watching the show and then reading for greater depth, than the other way around. Dilemmas.. :[
I dunno..

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #842 on: 05 Aug 2013, 20:57 »

Decided to vary my reading of LoTR

I'm also reading Shogun
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #843 on: 07 Aug 2013, 08:46 »

Jenny Lawson's Let's Pretend This Never Happened.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #844 on: 07 Aug 2013, 09:44 »

Loooooooooove.

I've read that 4 times already. She's my hero.

I recently bought The Hunger Games because it was $2 at Salvation Army. Plan on starting that by the end of the week.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #845 on: 08 Aug 2013, 08:39 »

Also rereading Warren Ellis' freakangels.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #846 on: 08 Aug 2013, 09:59 »

JLA/Avengers. Got it at Christmas and I've only managed to read it the once before now. Loving it because I missed out on the first run and it was so difficult to get it without paying an astronomical amount for ir.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #847 on: 10 Aug 2013, 13:38 »

"Names for the Sea" was worthwhile. It covered some everyday details of being an Iceland resident and included interview with people who remember and preserve the old days.

It's a good complement to Alda Sigmundsdóttir's work and it must have been really informative since it left me more confused than when I started.

And just finished "Just Add Hormones", an eloquent memoir by a trans man which discusses a lot of little things you might not have expected.
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2013, 17:25 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #848 on: 12 Aug 2013, 08:55 »

just finished "ANGELMASS" by Timothy Zahn.
good enough.  think it was written for the Teen-Young Adult section tho...
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #849 on: 15 Aug 2013, 08:58 »

Finished Hunger Games. Wooohoo.

Last book kinda got dragged out imho.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29   Go Up