THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 396626 times)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #1000 on: 04 Jan 2015, 12:52 »

It was his sled?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #1001 on: 04 Jan 2015, 12:56 »

He was the princess all along!
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #1002 on: 04 Jan 2015, 14:45 »

Rocinante is a traitor.

Currently reading See Rock City, a story collection by Donald Davis.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1003 on: 07 Jan 2015, 17:31 »

I just finished Cicero's "de Officiis" and am most of the way through Salman Rushdie's memoir.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #1004 on: 07 Jan 2015, 18:25 »

I picked up Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris at the airport. It looked interesting, and was clearly a national bestseller if it was in the little airport bookstore (and I guess it does say national bestseller on the title page... huh look at that). It's in short story format and is a quick read. I like the humor and the occasional amount of absurdity. Literally bought it on a whim and had no idea what it was about, so I'm pleasantly surprised.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1005 on: 08 Jan 2015, 06:16 »

He's delightful :-) I've read all of his books and saw him at the Bardavon last Fall. He signed my book and drew an owl with a screwdriver in its head. Also, I feel it relevant to share that he was wearing culottes. <3

If you haven't yet, read Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. Or Me Talk Pretty One Day.
(Or...well, anything else, really. I love them all.)

I plan on starting Beautiful You by Chuck Palahniuk this afternoon. I'm excited but apprehensive! I'm a huge fan of his as well and this book has had some seriously mixed reviews. I have high hopes but we'll see where it goes.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #1006 on: 08 Jan 2015, 12:06 »

I picked up Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris at the airport. It looked interesting, and was clearly a national bestseller if it was in the little airport bookstore (and I guess it does say national bestseller on the title page... huh look at that). It's in short story format and is a quick read. I like the humor and the occasional amount of absurdity. Literally bought it on a whim and had no idea what it was about, so I'm pleasantly surprised.
I picked that up based solely on the title. Okay read. I figured out later that the author is a semi-regular on This American Life whom I enjoy. The more you know.

Currently reading: Worst. Person. Ever.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1007 on: 09 Jan 2015, 21:42 »

I am reading a biography about Dietrich Bonhoeffer:

"Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy."

very interesting and in depth about the fight for Germany's soul prior to & during WW2.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #1008 on: 09 Jan 2015, 21:54 »

I picked that up based solely on the title. Okay read. I figured out later that the author is a semi-regular on This American Life whom I enjoy. The more you know.

Currently reading: Worst. Person. Ever.

Mein Kampf? Or did you get Margaret Thatcher's biography?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #1009 on: 12 Jan 2015, 07:40 »

Funny. But ... no: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worst._Person._Ever.

Douglas Coupland. His books are cocaine to me. (Though this wasn't his best.)

Currently reading ... The fault in our stars. I feel so ... YA.
My Art.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #1010 on: 15 Jan 2015, 23:06 »

Fell into some sort of weird mood that made me lose interest in everything I'm currently reading (no matter how enjoyable), so I set aside Don Quixote for a bit and started The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann.  Is there a word (in German, probably) for that feeling you get when you want to read something, but just not the book(s) you're reading at the moment or even any of the books you currently own/have borrowed from the library?  Because I get that feeling every few months, and it completely ruins me for a day or two until I can find the exact book to get me out of it. 

On the plus side, that's how I ended up reading Moby-Dick a few years ago, and TMM is going rather well, so I can't complain too much...but it's still annoying when it starts.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1011 on: 17 Jan 2015, 19:30 »

"Founder's Son", a Lincoln biography.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #1012 on: 18 Jan 2015, 06:38 »

Finished TFIOS, finished Looking for Alaska, currently reading an Abundance of Katherines.

Yes, I have a box set.

... finished 'katherines' and paper towns.Just one more and then I can go and do something else.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2015, 00:43 by BeoPuppy »
My Art.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #1013 on: 30 Jan 2015, 17:56 »

I'm ill, can't really leave bed, and spend the time finally reading Dune.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1014 on: 30 Jan 2015, 18:21 »

The Spice must flow.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1015 on: 31 Jan 2015, 00:03 »

Bless the Maker and his water.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #1016 on: 31 Jan 2015, 00:09 »

Whoa. I now realise how often I've read that sentence, now that I understand the reference…  :psyduck:
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1017 on: 31 Jan 2015, 14:20 »

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Shaihuluuuud
James The Kugai 

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #1018 on: 31 Jan 2015, 18:43 »

Finished the first three Game of Thrones books, and I refuse to read farther because I want to be surprised by the show. 

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #1019 on: 01 Feb 2015, 00:58 »

The shows have made it past book 2.  I think there are a few events left towards the end of the third book that have yet to take place.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #1020 on: 01 Feb 2015, 03:46 »

Kul Wahad.

Also: finished all the John Green books I have. A+, would recommend. Currently reading Stikvallei, a dutch book about a valley in Kameroen where 1200 people died, over night, in their sleep.
My Art.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #1021 on: 01 Feb 2015, 14:11 »

The shows have made it past book 2.  I think there are a few events left towards the end of the third book that have yet to take place.

Yeah, like the book three epilogue.  Don't worry, no spoilers, but having read it now, I'm a little surprised they didn't choose that for the season closer, unless they plan to ignore it entirely.  It's a hell of a dramatic moment.  I don't know how book 4 wraps up, but if it ends on an insufficiently dramatic moment, they could dust off the book 3 epilogue and use that, and watch people's heads explode.  George RR Martin seems to have a knack for ending a book on a dramatic high point, though. 

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1022 on: 06 Feb 2015, 10:28 »

Read "Fist of Demetrius" the sequel to "Angels of Fire" in the Marcharius Crusade trilogy.  Was interesting the way the narrative would switch from Leo (the protagonist from book 1) and the villain.  Was also interesting having Xenos as a story teller and the villain. I quite liked it and thought it was a nice romp in the 40k verse but I thought the ending was pretty lack luster to what it was leading up to.  Then again a lucky throw of a grenade, though mundane, makes it more realistic in a story stepped with evil space elves.  Will need to pick up the final installment at some point.

In the meantime I'm delving into non-fiction with "King Leopold's Ghost".  its about western imperialism in the Congo.  I'm 2 chapters in and its been very eye opening.  The West's romanticized ideal of the "Dark Continent" ignited by Henry Morton Stanley was interesting and King Leopold's lack luster early life and terrible marriage have been remarkable.  Finding out that Queen Victoria and Prince Albert had to explain sex to Leopold and his bride is really hysterical.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

The Seldom Killer

• More witless shite ----->
« Reply #1023 on: 09 Feb 2015, 04:16 »

I cracked through two books while on holiday;

Mime Order by Samantha Shannon - This is the sequel to Bone Season and is showing a maturation of the author and development of storytelling ability. The first book was a decent enough little read but I found this one far more engaging. It seems likely that there will be further growth and improvement. It's also good to see a sci-fi/fantasy genre'd book playing about with psychic powers as a principle device. It's an area I haven't bumped into that often but it does manage to avoid the more obvious cliche's.

Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel - A really good take on the post-apocalyptic scenario. I was a bit sceptical about this book as the usual fare on this genre tends to follow quite a set pattern. I'm glad I picked it up though as it deviates from that very early on and strikes a good balance between the inevitable bleakness and that human capacity for adaptation and hope.

Currently reading Before I Go to Sleep by S J Watson. There already seems to be a film of this so I'll probably watch that later. It's a good take on the amnesia/Memento scenario where the amnesiac character slowly uncovers her past and present situations. Immense plaudits have to be given to the author/editor/publishers for setting the scene before reading that the central character can't trust the person who's looking after her. However, with two principle carers, you don't know which is the unreliable narrator about what. You're immediately thrust into questioning details and chewing over inconsistencies as they're revealed to the central character. About half way through you'll be guessing as to what is going on but you'll either be pleased with yourself to have guessed right or pleased with the storytelling if you guessed wrong.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1024 on: 11 Feb 2015, 19:53 »

Well, picked up Red Mars by Kim Robinson from the Library today.

Haven't read it in years, and even then I don't think I got more than half way through it due to various reasons.  Meant to go back and get it again to read, but never got round to it, but since it appears that there is a Big Screen version of it in the works, I thought I'd read it and it's sequels right through this time.
James The Kugai 

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy
    • LDOriginals: GLBT friendly costumes, sweets, and more
« Reply #1025 on: 11 Feb 2015, 22:21 »

Just finished The Daedalus Incident and the sequel The Enceladus Crisis.  Parallel universe fun, where one is a century odd in our future, with various nations exploring the Solar System, and the other in an alternate 18th century where alchemy allows sailing ships to travel the Void.
My husband makes cool clothes, costumes and candy. 10% off all candies and stuffed animals until Valentines.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1026 on: 12 Feb 2015, 13:03 »

Ever read A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah! by Harry Harrison?

Great Alt History novel set in a world of 1973 where Washington lost the Revolution and the Americas are still a British Colony.
James The Kugai 

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy
    • LDOriginals: GLBT friendly costumes, sweets, and more
« Reply #1027 on: 12 Feb 2015, 16:39 »

Yup.  Have you seen his The Hammer and the Cross trilogy?  A group of Norse pagan priests set out to compete with Christianity in an organized fashion, and forge a new kingdom with the aid of a renegade Englishmen.  Vikings, warfare, technological development, and vikings abound.
My husband makes cool clothes, costumes and candy. 10% off all candies and stuffed animals until Valentines.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1028 on: 12 Feb 2015, 18:27 »

Becoming Big League. Book by a U of Washington professor about the Seattle Pilots, and the whole morass surrounding their one season as an American League team.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1029 on: 12 Feb 2015, 20:34 »

Yup.  Have you seen his The Hammer and the Cross trilogy?  A group of Norse pagan priests set out to compete with Christianity in an organized fashion, and forge a new kingdom with the aid of a renegade Englishmen.  Vikings, warfare, technological development, and vikings abound.

Haven't read that one.  Have read his Stars and Stripes Trilogy though.
James The Kugai 

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1030 on: 21 Feb 2015, 03:08 »

I weeded through the boxes of old books in my parents' attic and found a few Charles Dickens hardbacks. I took Oliver Twist home to read, as well as The Origin of Species. But those haven't captured my interest as much as Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, the fanfic, which has received a slew of new chapters and is nearing its end. You can get a reasonable idea of where it's going with the first chapter, and it's boundlessly entertaining.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #1031 on: 21 Feb 2015, 16:08 »

HPMOR is an excellent read, but the first 5 or so chapters have a different feel to the rest. It starts off with "ha ha the magical world makes no sense look at all these inconsistencies", but afterwards it slows down a little and starts actually building a story.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1032 on: 28 Feb 2015, 15:29 »

The whole "magical Britain is insane" business seems to be referenced regularly throughout the story, but yes, it wastes no effort in supporting that notion at the beginning of the story. There's plenty of comedic notes throughout as well, which I really enjoy. And also plenty of times where it breaks your fucking heart and stomps it into the ground.

Just look at the last chapter, it was posted tonight. I can hardly read the text with how goddamn grimdark this has gotten.

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1033 on: 01 Mar 2015, 08:20 »

Reading "The Book of Barkley" by L.B. Johnson

Amazon Link

Johnson is a poetic wordsmith with a flowing cadence all her own.
  If there ever was a book PERFECT to be an audio book, this is it.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

hazlett

• Plantmonster
    • webdesign London
« Reply #1034 on: 03 Mar 2015, 22:13 »

I'm starting to read Great Expectation by Charles Dickens

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1035 on: 04 Mar 2015, 00:20 »

Are you looking forward to it? Do you have great expe-*trapdoor*
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1036 on: 04 Mar 2015, 07:42 »

Just finished King Leopold's Ghost.  It is about the life of King Leopold II of Belgium and how in his constitutional monarchy he was able to set up his own fiefdom in the Congo and sap as much profit as possible for himself. It was totally his personal colony and not of the Belgian people's until about a year before his death.  Trying to gather as much money as possible his colonial offices really enslaved the native and treated them harshly just to increase his profits.  The horrible things I've read and how one of the earliest modern humanitarian movements to stop this occurred.  It is a very well written book and the author almost likens it to a novel of short stories.  You learn about the "heroes" of the time and how they were venerated when they were far from heroic, as well as those demonized for speaking out about the treatment of the Congolese.  If you ever want to read about the period or learn the darker side of the imperialism of Africa I highly suggest picking this up.  It is amazing how Leopold used webs of media and propaganda to placate not only the Belgian populace but also the government of foreign powers like France, Germany, UK, and USA!  More amazing on how a bunch of nobodies was able to speak up and defend the Congolese and try to get Leopold's grip wrestled from the Congo.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #1037 on: 06 Mar 2015, 06:12 »

A Child of Christian Blood, about the trial of Mendel Beilis. He was a Jew living in Czarist Russia who was arrested in Russia and charged with blood libel (for those who don't know: the accusation that Jews kidnapped and murdered Christian children), and his trial brought international attention to Russia's extreme antisemitic policies.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #1038 on: 13 Mar 2015, 06:33 »

Anyone have a recommendation for a Buddhism primer?  Need some light reading while I'm on vacation next week.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #1039 on: 13 Mar 2015, 09:04 »

Anyone have a recommendation for a Buddhism primer?  Need some light reading while I'm on vacation next week.

Practice, sutras, or overview?

My personal favorite is Thich Nhat Hanh's The Miracle of Mindfulness, and a lot of the rest of his work is also quite good. Pick up something with a good translation of the Heart Sutra. Alan Watts' The Way of Zen is quite good. So is Mindfulness in Plain English, by Henepola Gunaratana. City Dharma by Arthur Jeon is worth a look. And pretty much anything by Pema Chodron is worth reading.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1040 on: 13 Mar 2015, 11:12 »

Overview was the answer.  Thanks for the recommendations

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1041 on: 24 Mar 2015, 07:59 »

So far, I am enjoying Mindfulness in Plain English.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #1042 on: 24 Mar 2015, 09:38 »

Glad to help!
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #1043 on: 28 Mar 2015, 20:21 »

Phenomenal, written by my sophomore writing professor. Essentially she went around the world experiencing natural wonders (the Northern Lights in Iceland, the butterfly migration in Mexico) as a sort of unorthodox therapy for postpartum depression. It's actually really interesting, because she connects it to the wonder we all see in small things in children and how we can (and I'm a bit tipsy so I can't find a better word) 'rediscover' that.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1044 on: 11 Apr 2015, 00:39 »

I'm in the second book of Weber's Safehold series.

Touching, but the good guys are just plain too good, and people take mind-shattering revelations in stride.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1045 on: 12 Apr 2015, 06:08 »

I am having a second read through Chris Jericho's third autobiography, Best In The World: At What I Have No Idea and I am increasingly realising that as much as I love his work, and as much as his arrogance is justified to some extent... the guy really seems to be an asshole.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1046 on: 12 Apr 2015, 15:35 »

Whatever I'm in the frakin' mood for

Granted, it's a lot of FanFic at the moment, but I do have Green Mars on the go too.
James The Kugai 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1047 on: 19 Apr 2015, 18:21 »

Just finished "The Sociopath Next Door".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #1048 on: 22 Apr 2015, 22:56 »

Halfway through The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt.  Child prodigy seeks absent father.  Amazing so far.  No relation to the Tom Cruise movie. 
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #1049 on: 25 Apr 2015, 23:15 »

Just started "The Faerie Queen" by Edmund Spenser.  Huzzah for epic Elizabethan poetry!

The Sarazin sore daunted with the buffe
Snatcheth his sword, and fiercely to him flies;
Who well it wards, and quyteth cuff with cuff:
Each other's equall puissaunce enuies,
And through their iron sides with cruel spies
Does seeke to perce: repining courage yields
No foote to foe. The flashing fier flies
As from a forge out of their burning shields,
And streames of purple bloud new dies the verdant fields.
(Book I, Canto II, v. 17)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 29   Go Up