THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 396638 times)

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #1100 on: 23 Jun 2016, 22:21 »

classic Clancy. 

his house isn't but a 90 minute drive away, but I still never met him, despite wanting to.

but I kept missing his appearances and book signings.

and now he is gone.

By Order of the President: WEB Griffin
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1101 on: 23 Jun 2016, 23:11 »

There was a time back in the early 2000's when a lot of Clancy fans I knew would have liked to see that book turned into The Ultimate War Movie.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1102 on: 24 Jun 2016, 07:31 »

I've honestly never understood the appeal of Tom Clancy.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #1103 on: 24 Jun 2016, 20:45 »

League of Dragons, the final novel in Naomi Novik's Temeraire series.  Quite good so far (I'm about 1/3 through it), but still doesn't quite make up for the last three lackluster books.  I still think the series should've ended with #5, Victory of Eagles.

You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #1104 on: 28 Jun 2016, 08:56 »

Persuasion by Jane Austen :3

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #1105 on: 04 Jul 2016, 22:38 »

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1106 on: 09 Jul 2016, 13:26 »

"The Maximum Security Book Club", by a volunteer who led literature discussions in a men's prison.

Murderers mulling Macbeth.  Convicts consuming Conrad.

The author is thoughtful and she appreciates and preserves the ambiguity of life. The men she discussed the books with considered  that wishy-washy and were proud of having firm opinions. She was opinionated enough and bold enough to reply with "and look where that got you". I wouldn't have tried that while outnumbered by people to whom respect is desperately important.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #1107 on: 26 Aug 2016, 12:13 »

The theatre I work at is doing a show about Janis Joplin, which has made me more interested in her life. So I ordered a copy of Love, Janis, a biography written by her sister Laura, and I'm going to start it on Monday once the show ends and I have some extra time.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1108 on: 26 Aug 2016, 12:40 »

Currently reading "The Demon Haunted World: Science As A Candle in the Dark" by Carl Sagan.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1109 on: 28 Aug 2016, 09:24 »

One Way by Mark Iliff, which is only available as an ebook. It's as realistic as possible an account of being sent on a one-way colonisation to Mars as part of a crew of four, written in the style of a diary by one of the crew members.

I am finding it gripping.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1110 on: 29 Aug 2016, 15:38 »

Reading one of my favorite Fan Fic Sagas at the moment.

It's one I go through once a year.
James The Kugai 

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1111 on: 06 Sep 2016, 21:54 »

semi-historical fiction:

1356 by Bernard Cornwell
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

nellsen

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1112 on: 08 Sep 2016, 02:12 »

Haven't started it yet, but The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus is on the way in the mail, I can't wait... I read The Stranger years ago, but now finally getting around to reading more Camus.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1113 on: 08 Sep 2016, 20:07 »

It's September and I just realized that I haven't read a single book all year....

What the hell is wrong with me?!?

Seriously, this has never happened before, I think I should see a doctor.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1114 on: 08 Sep 2016, 20:52 »

You'd be better off seeing a librarian.
@syleegrrl

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1115 on: 09 Sep 2016, 04:19 »

One that has a doctorate....
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1116 on: 11 Dec 2016, 13:18 »

"Correction Officer's Guide to Understanding Inmates"
"The Ethical Slut"
Just finished those and moving on to finishing a book about ombudsman programs.

I'm weird, aren't I?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1117 on: 11 Dec 2016, 13:49 »

Reading Shogun at the moment.

Started reading it some months ago, but sorta lost interest for a while but picked it up again about two weeks ago and am steadly plowing through it
James The Kugai 

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1118 on: 27 Dec 2016, 07:08 »

So last week and even during the Christmas break it was rather boring at work or during travel so I read some of HP Lovecraft's works:

Dagon:
(click to show/hide)

This was a good way to start if you asked me.  It was both literally and literarily a glimpse into the Cthulhu mythos.  Of all the stories I read this week, it was by far my favorite.

Call of Cthulhu:
(click to show/hide)

This story was rather hard to get into.  The researcher’s story is more or less the story telling device for everything.  I think that part was well executed.  I found the artist’s story to be very boring and the police raid story to be cut short before it got anywhere.  The Ship’s story on the other hand was amazing.  It brought up memories of the old black and white King Kong movie.  It had me on the edge of my seat compared to the other stories.  There was a clear begging middle and end complete with a build up to a climax.  Something I would later find lacking in Lovecraft’s other works.  My main complaint was this tale’s ending could have been handled a bit better.

Shadow over Innsmoth:
(click to show/hide)

This story was very interesting, but like with the rest of Lovecraft, I feel like he can set up a good atmosphere and have great concepts, but poor story telling.  I feel it would have been better to experience the raid/siege of Innsmouth or give us a better reason for the trip.  I feel like perhaps I was spoiled from watching the “Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth” game which had a tighter story than the book it’s based on (I’ll explain later).

At the Mountain of Madness
(click to show/hide)

Again, great concepts and atmosphere, but a poor story.  Too much time spent on how to do archeology and reading hieroglyphics.  No real excitement or horror until the new creature shows up and chases them away.  If the story sounds vaguely familiar, it’s because it’s been adapted into movies like “The Thing.”  Reading these stories is starting to inspire me to write better version of them.

The Dunwich Horror
(click to show/hide)

This was better than the last two stories I read.  The first half is a mysterious character study of Wilbur Whateley and the strange things going on at the Dunwich Township.  The second half introduces the scientist and remind me of the old black and white monster movies where the monster terrorizes a small town.  I also liked that the educated old men were the only ones that could save the simple farming folk.  Showcasing a “knowledge is power” kind of story.

Extra Credit:
Cryaotic’s Lets Play of “Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.”  If you’ve read Shadow over Innsmoth (or are just as curious about Cthulhu myths as I am) you should check out this 13 episode video series.  You can try and play the game if you want but it’s extremely buggy (played for laughs by Cry).  His voiceover may be a bit unusual at first but the story, intrigue, and mystery is well worth your time. It is a better and more complete version of Shadow over Innsmouth IMHO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvbfzs-FjaI&list=PLeqwXTaiY-Oxj4EvTtjJ09ZAdDGSEeV08
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1119 on: 28 Dec 2016, 05:40 »

I read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, the theater script in book form. It's titled that but it's mainly about the misadventures of Harry's son and Draco's son. Time fuckery is a big part of the plot, and it's handled much worse than in the original novels. Rules about time-travel are broken for the sake of allowing scenes with characters from the past, which feels too fanservicey. It's not unenjoyable, I actually like the character of Draco's son, but it's not something I'd highly recommend either.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1120 on: 03 Jan 2017, 03:35 »

I'm currently Experiencing a Significant Gravitas Shortfall, i.e. reading through the Ian M. Banks' Culture-cycle for the 2nd time - (almost finished with 'Surface Detail')

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #1121 on: 04 Feb 2017, 11:31 »

Just finished rereading the 'Black Tide' zombie novels by John Ringo. An entertaining read but lots of stuff I could nit pick.  :-P

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #1122 on: 05 Feb 2017, 13:14 »

The Expanse Series by James S A Corey

Having seen the TV show first, all I can say is that the producers of the show are going to have to be careful not to Flanderise Holden!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1123 on: 05 Feb 2017, 13:41 »

I read Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. It's full of impenetrable Britishisms but it had me laughing heartily throughout nonetheless.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #1124 on: 06 Feb 2017, 16:49 »

Oh I loved Good Omens.  :-D There's going to be a TV mini-series adapted by Neil too....

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1125 on: 06 Apr 2017, 23:24 »

David Weber, At the Sign of Triumph

The premise is a planet undergoing the Enlightenment, the Reformation, and the Industrial Revolution simultaneously. It is even bloodier than you might guess.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1126 on: 07 Apr 2017, 05:10 »

The Adventures of WIM
(apparently now expanded slightly and renamed "The Adventures of Whim")

Utterly different style to The Dice Man, which I'm finding rather refreshing. Openly and deliberately humorous, verging on literary slapstick at times!
But at the same time, moments of excellently observed comments on modern life.

It's Luke Rheinhart's follow up to The Dice Man. (Not in any way a sequel - Unlike Son of The Dice Man)
I have also just bought The Way of the Die to round off the whole experience! ;)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1127 on: 07 Apr 2017, 11:01 »

Finished reading the novel "Private Wars" by Greg Rucka. The last story starring Tara Chase from the comic series Queen & Country.  It's rough and brutal, like most of the series, but a good cap to the series and the character.
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1128 on: 13 Apr 2017, 21:13 »

"Between the World and Me", by Ta-Nehisi Coates.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #1129 on: 14 Apr 2017, 03:52 »

I read Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. It's full of impenetrable Britishisms but it had me laughing heartily throughout nonetheless.

I love that book. I couldn't help but feel that it was somehow greater than the sum of two already-brilliant authors.

And seeing as though I'm here, I'm currently reading Jasper Jones. Probably not for long though, as I'm getting through it pretty quickly. It's hard to put down.

Before that was A Man Called Ove (a remarkably moving story), and before that was The Sudden Appearance of Hope.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1130 on: 17 Apr 2017, 04:45 »

Well, "Adventures of Wim" was pretty groovy.

Now reading (and almost finished) Stephen King's "Bazaar of Bad Dreams" (short story collection.)
It actually contains one of the best things I've read of his a short called UR it's slightly linked to the Dark Tower epic, but aside from it.
Nice concept and for King... well...

(click to show/hide)
Covenant

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1131 on: 03 May 2017, 16:09 »

I read Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky. I'm really not sure what to make of it. It's certainly a compelling tale but I've been told it was "life-changing" and that I don't see.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1132 on: 03 May 2017, 17:53 »

The Mammoth Book of Kaiju, 27 short stories featuring giant monsters.

Why yes, I am on a kaiju kick at the moment, what gave you that idea?

audrina

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1133 on: 21 Jul 2017, 05:57 »

Imagine Me Gone by Adam Haslett

Starting... :-)

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1134 on: 21 Jul 2017, 06:45 »

Just started reading Lovecraft Country. I like it so far.
@syleegrrl

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1135 on: 21 Jul 2017, 17:18 »

James The Kugai 

Devcca

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1136 on: 27 Jul 2017, 00:53 »

I am reading Storm Front by Jim Butcher.  I have a few mangas I am trying to read as well.  One is Bleach  I think the other is Inu Asha... totally misspelled that!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1137 on: 27 Jul 2017, 03:32 »

So I've discovered that Charles Dickens was a fucking prick.

When I was in year 9, we had to read Oliver Twist for some assignment work. It was impenetrable and florid and I hated it, however given the way Shakespeare's work sounded to me, and how antiquated language from even fifty years ago could sound, I thought that just meant that writing from the 19th Century and earlier would just be something I didn't understand. As such, I've read basically none of the 'classics.' I am appallingly read.

In conversation with my partners recently it arose that, well, Dickens just writes like a complete asshole and is no reflection of what actual language was like at the time.

The example given to me was Pride And Prejudice, which in my head had been consigned to the pile of 'book/film/TV series for cis-white housewives' as a piece of culture. I Googled for an extract and found that it was witty and interesting and - here's the kicker - completely understandable.

Fuck you, Dickens.

I'm now about 60 pages into reading Pride and Prejudice and it is so entertaining. It's actually a quite pointed bit of social commentary, which if you can read between the lines more than a tiny bit is pretty obvious. It's like a slating of white privilege centuries before that concept even existed. The characters are engrossing and entertaining - my current favourite being Mr. Bennett. I have a running gag with my partners now that almost any of Mr. Bennett's dialogue could be replaced by 'Fuckin', whatever.' and it wouldn't change the narrative at all.

Example:
'I have more than once observed to Lady Catherine, that her charming daughter seemed born to be a duchess, and that the most elevated rank, instead of giving her consequence, would be adorned by her.- These are the kind of things which please her ladyship, and it is a sort of attention which I conceive myself peculiarly bound to pay.
'Fuckin', whatever,' said Mr Bennett.

Another book they encouraged me to read very strongly was Nation by Terry Pratchett. This I am well over halfway through and am finding it to be a quite extraordinary read. I need to finish it as a matter of urgency, and the resonance that Mao has with one of my partners is of great significance to me.

Moving in with them is going to allow me the headspace to start reading again. And my God, how I've missed reading.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1138 on: 27 Jul 2017, 04:13 »

So I've discovered that Charles Dickens was a fucking prick.

When I was in year 9, we had to read Oliver Twist for some assignment work. It was impenetrable and florid and I hated it, however given the way Shakespeare's work sounded to me, and how antiquated language from even fifty years ago could sound, I thought that just meant that writing from the 19th Century and earlier would just be something I didn't understand. As such, I've read basically none of the 'classics.' I am appallingly read.

In conversation with my partners recently it arose that, well, Dickens just writes like a complete asshole and is no reflection of what actual language was like at the time.

The example given to me was Pride And Prejudice, which in my head had been consigned to the pile of 'book/film/TV series for cis-white housewives' as a piece of culture. I Googled for an extract and found that it was witty and interesting and - here's the kicker - completely understandable.

Fuck you, Dickens.

I'm now about 60 pages into reading Pride and Prejudice and it is so entertaining. It's actually a quite pointed bit of social commentary, which if you can read between the lines more than a tiny bit is pretty obvious. It's like a slating of white privilege centuries before that concept even existed. The characters are engrossing and entertaining - my current favourite being Mr. Bennett. I have a running gag with my partners now that almost any of Mr. Bennett's dialogue could be replaced by 'Fuckin', whatever.' and it wouldn't change the narrative at all.

Example:
'I have more than once observed to Lady Catherine, that her charming daughter seemed born to be a duchess, and that the most elevated rank, instead of giving her consequence, would be adorned by her.- These are the kind of things which please her ladyship, and it is a sort of attention which I conceive myself peculiarly bound to pay.
'Fuckin', whatever,' said Mr Bennett.

Another book they encouraged me to read very strongly was Nation by Terry Pratchett. This I am well over halfway through and am finding it to be a quite extraordinary read. I need to finish it as a matter of urgency, and the resonance that Mao has with one of my partners is of great significance to me.

Moving in with them is going to allow me the headspace to start reading again. And my God, how I've missed reading.

But Sir,
 You must agree that, whenever one is faced with such a devastating critique, particularly within the multi-faceted world of the creative arts, of which I do attest (though some may find it otherwise) to be a part of - that it may, on occasion, and within strictly bounded circumstances, be not only required, but, yes, necessary to allow one's muse (no matter what or whomsoever it might be) the full and unfettered flow of one's artistic outpourings? How else would the struggling artiste, in the grasp of pow'rs   not only larger, but indeed many times greater in both scope and... (cont. Pgs: 96/97/98)

Covenant

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1139 on: 27 Jul 2017, 10:06 »

I recall having read or heard - though it may be that I do not remember correctly; or that the so-called 'fact' is in truth a complete fabrication, spun like a yarn and made of the resulting whole cloth - that because a lot of Dickens' novels were originally serialized in the periodicals of his day, and popular from one end of the country to the other, they were deliberately stretched and strung-out so there would be a greater number of episodes, that the readers thereof may be at turns delighted and dismayed still further. It rather brings to mind a well-established and time-honored practice among students of adding excessively florid and baroque passages of nigh-incomprehensible text in their scholarly assignments to fit an arbitrary requirement of "1000 words" or "5 pages" when the subject at hand could be adequately - not to say well, or even excellently; many a time have I submitted a paper and been given a mark denoting that my work was lacking nothing in its exposition of the relative merits of one method or another, and yet still been chastised for my deliberate and crafted omission of extraneous verbiage - dealt with in a couple of paragraphs.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1140 on: 28 Jul 2017, 01:24 »

Exactly so! Being serialised he was dragging them out as much as possible.

Also these last two posts were meta as fuck, good job everybody.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1141 on: 29 Aug 2017, 06:30 »

"Non-violent Communication", by Marshall Rosenberg.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1142 on: 29 Aug 2017, 12:20 »

Just started reading "The Gone-Away World" by Nick Harkaway. Bizarrely surreal post-apocalyptic comedy. Kinda has a Pratchett feel to is, but less goofy. It is very British, though.
@syleegrrl

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1143 on: 30 Aug 2017, 03:20 »

Just finished Stephen Fry's autoblobyblob "More Fool Me"

Am now back on a Luke Rheinhart tip, and am reading "Invasion" (and have "Long Voyage Back" waiting for when I've finished it)
Covenant

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1144 on: 02 Oct 2017, 08:15 »

Back in 1816 Mary Shelly, her husband, and some friends went to Geneva with Lord Byron.  If my memory serves me the weather was terrible so they were mostly stuck inside.  They started reading some German ghost stories and came up with an idea: a friendly scary story competition.  Mary Shelley wrote what would later be published as Frankenstein and Lord Byron wrote The Vampyre (which would later inspire Bram Stoker to write Dracula) although his physician Paul Polidori rewrote and published it with Byron's assistance.  I had 2 free credits on audible and downloaded both.  The Vamypre was shorter and so I started with that and it was pretty good and I can see where Bram stoker took some of the mythology.  I found out this weekend while visiting my parents that my dad started reading Dracula and after a few chapters he had to stop reading as he was getting nightmares (granted he was reading Dracula during his graveyard shift at the hotel he works with and is often the only one there).  I thought it was rather coincidental that we read similar stories.  However now that I have started Frankenstein, I have to say Mary Shelley is definitely the better of the two as far as prose and is more captivating.  I am only 4 chapters in but is so far really good and better than The Vampyre.

The Vampyre was very fun though and being that my wife comes from that area of the world were the protagonist visits and learns about vampires, it added some dimension to it.  I remember looking up vampire folklore a long time ago and found that in her culture only twins were qualified to hunt vampires.  I could totally imagine her people's traditional clothes and superstitions as I read the story which made it seem all the more real.  The ending was dark and reminded me of a horrific version of the old German folktale "Bearskin."  I would not be surprised if Lord Byron read it and combined parts of it with his journeys and folktales told to him in the Balkans.  I'd recommend it if you want a really short story for the month of October.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1145 on: 02 Oct 2017, 08:39 »

Finished Invasion - really liked it...

And have also just finished "Long Voyage Back", which I also really liked, but the voice is not like any other Rheinhart book I've read.
(Some of the parsing is a bit odd in this one. There are occasions when it's like reading a book written by Yoda!)

Am currently reading "A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian" by Marina Lewycka... which, according to the blurb, is a comedic novel.
Am about half way through.. nothing funny in it. It seems really badly written to me (seemingly shortlisted for the Orange prize).
I got this from a book exchange thing at work. It'll be going back very quickly. Can't say I recommend it. (But I will finish it.)
Covenant

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1146 on: 06 Oct 2017, 05:11 »

The Collected Works of HP Lovecraft.

I've been a fan of his stories for years, so my sister gave me a collected copy of his work a couple of years ago. His work is still the only one that leaves me feeling disturbed going to sleep at night, which I suppose is a testament to how timeless Lovecraft's writing is. The Whisperer in the Darkness and the Rats in the Walls in particular still leave me feeling cold.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1147 on: 06 Oct 2017, 05:18 »

The Collected Works of HP Lovecraft.

I've been a fan of his stories for years, so my sister gave me a collected copy of his work a couple of years ago. His work is still the only one that leaves me feeling disturbed going to sleep at night, which I suppose is a testament to how timeless Lovecraft's writing is. The Whisperer in the Darkness and the Rats in the Walls in particular still leave me feeling cold.

I've tried to read Lovecraft SO often... I just cannot get into it...
(Maybe try again.. it's been about 10-15 years since...)
Covenant

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1148 on: 06 Oct 2017, 06:30 »

@JoeCovenant (and anyone else interested in getting into Lovecraft)
Last Christmas I started reading them just to fully understand what the deal with Lovecraft and all things lovecraftian.  I have read a dozen or so of his stories.  I can make some suggestions as far as getting into them if you like.  Some of his stories are very dense with purple prose or have long stretches of tedious boring things so I can understand how it can be rough to get into.

I always suggest to start off with "Dagon" as it is short and gets the idea of Lovecraft across.  When I first read it, it reminded me of those stop motion monsters in Sinbad movies.  "The Whisperer in Darkness" is also a good read.  The first part can be a bit tedious as the professor rattles on about some ancient folklore, but it really gets interesting when the letters start.  "The Dunwich Horror" is also very good, with an excellent character study in the first half and a 50s B-movie as the latter half.  I like the symbolism in the latter half but it may just be my take from it and not at all what Lovecraft intended.

I will say there are a few you should stay away from until you get familiar with Lovecraft's style of writing. Here is a breakdown of the ones I have read and what I think are easy to get into followed by the ones that get rougher and finally the tough ones that you may not want to attempt until you really get into his writing.

Easy:
Dagon
The Dunwhich Horror
The Hound
The Whisperer in Darkness

Medium:
The Color Out of Space
A Shadow Out of Time
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
Call of Cthulhu
Rats in the Wall
Herbert West: Reanimator

Hard:
Shadow Over Innsmouth
At the Mountain of Madness

Be it from me to tell you what to read or in what order but this is just my feeling on it.  For me "At the Mountain of Madness" was very boring until the 2nd act but others might find it to be their favorite or to read a different book entirely absent from the list.

It's October so it may be quite fun to read them while in the spooky spirit of things. Have fun!

edited: reread The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and wanted to update my ranking.
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2018, 19:22 by LeeC »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1149 on: 10 Oct 2017, 07:57 »

I finished Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein."  The old Universal movie is but a glimmer to what the actual story is!  The only things similar is that there was a scientist named Frankenstein and he made a monster.  I find it had more parallels with movies dealing with AIs or robots with consciousness.  Creating a new life form with the consequences and moral/existential questions that follow.  It also dealt with nature and nurture a bit.

for example:
(click to show/hide)

You really start to feel for the creature.  Being that the story is told from Victor Frankenstein's point of view, it is a very biased side of the story.  Victor jumps to many conclusions based off of very little interactions from the monster and condemns the creature so early.  Totally convinced the monster had maligned motives.  Granted from his pov it seems warranted, but he just assumes the monster is malicious or deceitful from the get-go.  I could not help but think of Mel Brooks's "Young Frankenstein."  In the movie, Frankenstein wants to nurture and help the monster become accepted by society.  He legitimately cares about the creature's well being like a father should a son.  In the novel he runs away scared as soon as the monster is born, leaving the monster to roam the country side and fumble for meaning.  It is truly a tragic tale!  Mary Shelley uses amazing prose and poetry in her story.  I also love how she handled the "explanation" of the creature's creation.  I thought it was very clever. 
(click to show/hide)

There were a few moments where she was hung up on the scenery and it seemed like a love letter to the Swiss countryside which slowed the pacing at time.  Other than that it was a great read and I fully encourage everyone to check it out.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29   Go Up