Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 19 Apr 2019, 13:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 186237 times)

Castlerook

• Older than Moses
  • Captain Sarcastic
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #1300 on: 01 Apr 2019, 12:40 »

If you do start with a 40k novel, start with one by Dan Abnett, preferably First & Only. Doesn't get into too much of the more esoteric elements and reads more like a Sharpe novel.
Whenever someone says "I'm not book smart but I am street smart.", all I hear is "I'm not real smart, but I am imaginary smart."

LeeC

• coprophage
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1301 on: 01 Apr 2019, 18:04 »

I don't know. To the uninitiated I always suggest the Space Wolf omnibus, simply because you start off from the pov of a literal viking and learn about the universe through his primitive understanding. But I am sure everyone likes to suggest their favorite or their first 40k novel.
 :-D
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LeeC

• coprophage
« Reply #1302 on: 01 Apr 2019, 20:07 »

Around chapter 8 or 9 they referenced that one of the Catechisms of Command is pretty much the Fear is the Mind Killer Litany from Dune. It was well done and not too cheesy.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1303 on: 04 Apr 2019, 10:11 »

Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite Ghibli movie and I'm finally reading the book it's based on

Theta9

• FIGHT YOU
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #1304 on: 04 Apr 2019, 12:48 »

Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite Ghibli movie and I'm finally reading the book it's based on
I would have liked to see a film based on that book. One wonders why Miyazaki bothered to license the story at all; it has so little in common.
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

LeeC

• coprophage
« Reply #1305 on: 13 Apr 2019, 20:41 »

Finished the first Cain series collection "Hero of the Imperium" with the 3rd book in the Cain series "The Traitor's Hand" and it was fantastic! Also, fuck Commissar Beije!

I just ordered the second Cain collection "Defender of the Imperium" with should arrive this Tuesday.
I hope Death Or Glory, Duty Calls, and Cain's Last Stand keep up the great quality the others have been.

Pilchard123

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1306 on: 14 Apr 2019, 15:09 »

Do you perhaps mean
HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!

?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Castlerook

• Older than Moses
  • Captain Sarcastic
« Reply #1307 on: 14 Apr 2019, 15:57 »

We do, but we can't express it by shouting or depicting it in bold and large print. Games Workshop has copywritten that and thus no one else is allowed to do so without getting a C&D letter. So thanks Pilchard, thanks for getting the GW LawyerHounds after us. Why would you do that? Why do you hate us so?
Whenever someone says "I'm not book smart but I am street smart.", all I hear is "I'm not real smart, but I am imaginary smart."

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1308 on: 15 Apr 2019, 07:51 »

I'm reading Howl's Moving Castle again, but that's because I forgot I had read it before

Theta9

• FIGHT YOU
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #1309 on: 15 Apr 2019, 10:31 »

I'm reading Howl's Moving Castle again, but that's because I forgot I had read it before
Loved that book, as well as most of what DWJ has written.

On a tangent, one wonders why Miyazaki bothered to license the film rights at all, since he obviously had a different story to tell.

I would have liked to see the story that DWJ wrote.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Definitely DEFINITELY not touching my balls
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
« Reply #1310 on: 16 Apr 2019, 12:06 »

My partners are reading Truckers, and I read that as a child and listened to it read by Tony Robinson on tape. Remember little about it except a generally oppressive atmosphere.

They're talking me through what they're reading and they're like bolts of memory lightning. It's fabulous.

I'm also continuing my 'one on, one off' Discworld trawl. I'm currently reading Equal Rites.

I thought both Mort and Soul Music took a while to get moving, plot-wise, and a while for me to get into. But Discworld is such a rich world and Pratchett's prose so distinct that now I just feel like I'm picking up the same one book again and reading a bit more of it.

Discworld isn't that nice a place to be. But Pratchett's writing is. It's like therapy. The other day I was edging on a meltdown before work and I read a few pages of Equal Rites and felt all the tension leave my body.

I have some 30-odd more to read before I run out, but it will be a very sad day when I do.
There's a difference to being bisexual and taking what you can get.
www.madcap156.wordpress.com

hedgie

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Can't be buggered at all
« Reply #1311 on: 16 Apr 2019, 12:21 »

Pratchett is one of the few authors I always turn to when I need a pick-up, and it always saddens me that more won't be forthcoming.  But the Discworld spins on, I guess.  I understand that there are going to be small-screen adaptations coming out with his daughter (who is an established author in her own right as well as being heiress to the IP) involved that I eagerly await.
"A person who may charitably described as 'not entirely a waste of resources, but mostly so.'"  -- Momo

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"  -- The Pythons

Theta9

• FIGHT YOU
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #1312 on: 16 Apr 2019, 12:52 »

Pratchett is one of the few authors I always turn to when I need a pick-up, and it always saddens me that more won't be forthcoming.  But the Discworld spins on, I guess.  I understand that there are going to be small-screen adaptations coming out with his daughter (who is an established author in her own right as well as being heiress to the IP) involved that I eagerly await.
I find that Pratchett adaptations suffer from the same problem as Adams and Wodehouse. The humor is more in the narrative than in the action and dialogue, so it doesn't translate well to the screen. I was thoroughly underwhelmed byHogfather and The Colour of Magic.

cybersmurf

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #1313 on: 16 Apr 2019, 13:00 »

The first five to ten Discworld novels are pure gold.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Up