THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 396647 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #1300 on: 01 Apr 2019, 20:07 »

Around chapter 8 or 9 they referenced that one of the Catechisms of Command is pretty much the Fear is the Mind Killer Litany from Dune. It was well done and not too cheesy.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1301 on: 04 Apr 2019, 10:11 »

Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite Ghibli movie and I'm finally reading the book it's based on

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #1302 on: 04 Apr 2019, 12:48 »

Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite Ghibli movie and I'm finally reading the book it's based on
I would have liked to see a film based on that book. One wonders why Miyazaki bothered to license the story at all; it has so little in common.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1303 on: 13 Apr 2019, 20:41 »

Finished the first Cain series collection "Hero of the Imperium" with the 3rd book in the Cain series "The Traitor's Hand" and it was fantastic! Also, fuck Commissar Beije!

I just ordered the second Cain collection "Defender of the Imperium" with should arrive this Tuesday.
I hope Death Or Glory, Duty Calls, and Cain's Last Stand keep up the great quality the others have been.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1304 on: 14 Apr 2019, 15:09 »

Do you perhaps mean
HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!

?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1305 on: 14 Apr 2019, 15:57 »

We do, but we can't express it by shouting or depicting it in bold and large print. Games Workshop has copywritten that and thus no one else is allowed to do so without getting a C&D letter. So thanks Pilchard, thanks for getting the GW LawyerHounds after us. Why would you do that? Why do you hate us so?

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1306 on: 15 Apr 2019, 07:51 »

I'm reading Howl's Moving Castle again, but that's because I forgot I had read it before

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1307 on: 15 Apr 2019, 10:31 »

I'm reading Howl's Moving Castle again, but that's because I forgot I had read it before
Loved that book, as well as most of what DWJ has written.

On a tangent, one wonders why Miyazaki bothered to license the film rights at all, since he obviously had a different story to tell.

I would have liked to see the story that DWJ wrote.
stePH
--

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1308 on: 16 Apr 2019, 12:06 »

My partners are reading Truckers, and I read that as a child and listened to it read by Tony Robinson on tape. Remember little about it except a generally oppressive atmosphere.

They're talking me through what they're reading and they're like bolts of memory lightning. It's fabulous.

I'm also continuing my 'one on, one off' Discworld trawl. I'm currently reading Equal Rites.

I thought both Mort and Soul Music took a while to get moving, plot-wise, and a while for me to get into. But Discworld is such a rich world and Pratchett's prose so distinct that now I just feel like I'm picking up the same one book again and reading a bit more of it.

Discworld isn't that nice a place to be. But Pratchett's writing is. It's like therapy. The other day I was edging on a meltdown before work and I read a few pages of Equal Rites and felt all the tension leave my body.

I have some 30-odd more to read before I run out, but it will be a very sad day when I do.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1309 on: 16 Apr 2019, 12:21 »

Pratchett is one of the few authors I always turn to when I need a pick-up, and it always saddens me that more won't be forthcoming.  But the Discworld spins on, I guess.  I understand that there are going to be small-screen adaptations coming out with his daughter (who is an established author in her own right as well as being heiress to the IP) involved that I eagerly await.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1310 on: 16 Apr 2019, 12:52 »

Pratchett is one of the few authors I always turn to when I need a pick-up, and it always saddens me that more won't be forthcoming.  But the Discworld spins on, I guess.  I understand that there are going to be small-screen adaptations coming out with his daughter (who is an established author in her own right as well as being heiress to the IP) involved that I eagerly await.
I find that Pratchett adaptations suffer from the same problem as Adams and Wodehouse. The humor is more in the narrative than in the action and dialogue, so it doesn't translate well to the screen. I was thoroughly underwhelmed byHogfather and The Colour of Magic.
stePH
--

cybersmurf

« Reply #1311 on: 16 Apr 2019, 13:00 »

The first five to ten Discworld novels are pure gold.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1312 on: 19 Apr 2019, 16:29 »

I just finished Jill Bolte Taylor's "My Stroke of Insight" and learned a great deal.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1313 on: 21 Apr 2019, 17:47 »

"De Vita Beata", "On the Happy Life", Seneca.

Egomaniacal garbage frequently antithetical to Stoicism.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1314 on: 27 Apr 2019, 13:27 »

I just finished the 4th book in the Cain's series (1st in the second Omnibus titled "Defender of the Imperium") "Death of Glory" where we travel back before the events of the first Omnibus' novels, to the event that made Cain famous.  "Death of Glory" is where he saves the planet of Perlia from an Orkish invasion. Boiling the story down it, was essentially a mix of Mad Max: Fury Road, Von Ryan's Express, and Brigadier Gerard. Great story telling with wonderful characters told from the point of view of Cain along with a few others of his exploits on Perlia that inadvertently made him a legend (which Cain regrets considering he would be involuntarily put into more dangerous situations because of his legend created here).  All in all great fun!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1315 on: 08 May 2019, 03:54 »

I've been derelict in my audio-books and have 5 free credits on audible. Can anyone recommend a light hearted adventure tale or fun book?

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1316 on: 08 May 2019, 07:09 »

Just finished Thirteen Reasons Why (audio). The two readers were a good production call.

Today I start Cress, book 3 of The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Myer. Cress is apparently the Rapunzel figure in this story (first two books were Cinder and Scarlet, and Winter finishes the saga.)
stePH
--

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1317 on: 08 May 2019, 07:38 »

"De Vita Beata", "On the Happy Life", Seneca.

Egomaniacal garbage frequently antithetical to Stoicism.

Seneca generally employs a pointed rhetorical style in his prose. His writings focus on traditional themes of Stoic philosophy. The universe is governed for the best by a rational providence, and this must be reconciled with adversity. Seneca regards philosophy as a balm for the wounds of life. The destructive passions, especially anger and grief, must be uprooted, although sometimes he offers advice for moderating them according to reason. He discusses the relative merits of the contemplative life and the active life, and he considers it important to confront one's own mortality and be able to face death.

One must be willing to practice poverty and use wealth properly, and he writes about favours, clemency, the importance of friendship, and the need to benefit others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca_the_Younger

Seneca was undoubtedly extremely rich: he had properties at Baiae and Nomentum, an Alban villa, and Egyptian estates. Cassius Dio even reports that the Boudica uprising in Britannia was caused by Seneca forcing large loans on the indigenous British aristocracy in the aftermath of Claudius's conquest of Britain, and then calling them in suddenly and aggressively. Seneca was sensitive to such accusations: his De Vita Beata ("On the Happy Life") dates from around this time and includes a defense of wealth along Stoic lines, arguing that properly gaining and spending wealth is appropriate behaviour for a philosopher

Ethicist, huh?
« Last Edit: 08 May 2019, 07:43 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1318 on: 08 May 2019, 13:05 »

I am about a third of the way through "Children of Blood and Bone" an African-influenced fantasy novel.

Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orďsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zélie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls.

But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.

Now Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good.

I am really enjoying it. The fictional world is well-developed, the cultures feel real and fleshed out. The characters are enjoyable and relatable. The story moves at a good pace, never feeling rushed or dragged out.  And plus it's really nice to read a fantasy novel that doesn't feel like yet another pseudo-Europe.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1319 on: 10 May 2019, 08:58 »

Did ya'll know that Howl's Moving Castle is the first book in a series? Cause I sure did not. So i'm gonna start the second book soon.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1320 on: 10 May 2019, 11:01 »

Every day I look to see if anyone is reading this...

...and every day, my heart breaks just a little bit more...

(Do guilt trips 'work' in this place, or what??  ;)  )

« Last Edit: 13 May 2019, 09:35 by JoeCovenant »
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1321 on: 10 May 2019, 12:35 »

Did ya'll know that Howl's Moving Castle is the first book in a series? Cause I sure did not. So i'm gonna start the second book soon.

If there's another that follows Castle in the Air (which is only loosely connected to Howl's), I'm unaware of it.
stePH
--

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1322 on: 10 May 2019, 14:06 »

I wasn't even aware that it was a book. Intriguing.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1323 on: 11 May 2019, 07:03 »

I wasn't even aware that it was a book. Intriguing.
As I've said, the movie has only the most superficial points of contact with its source material.
[ObCliché] The book is SOOOOOO much better! [/ObCliché]
stePH
--

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1324 on: 12 May 2019, 04:35 »

If there's another that follows Castle in the Air (which is only loosely connected to Howl's), I'm unaware of it.

There is one, called House of Many Ways, and it came out pretty recently. It's only a decade old now

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1325 on: 12 May 2019, 07:00 »

There is one, called House of Many Ways, and it came out pretty recently. It's only a decade old now
Did not know that.
I was saddened when DWJ passed in 2011, because it means (among other things) no more Chronicles of Chrestomanci.
stePH
--

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1326 on: 12 May 2019, 13:39 »

From Bacteria to Bach and Back, by Daniel Dennett.

I'm taking notes on my phone on pretty much every single page, so it's slow going. But it's a great book
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1327 on: 17 May 2019, 06:25 »

I finished "Duty Calls" which is the second book of the second Cain volume "Defender of the Imperium." It was pretty good. Felt like it started weak and I had a "here we go again" attitude at first what with the beginning seeming to be a bit like "For The Emperor" until the second assassination attempt and the Sisters showing up. I quite liked it and Kasteen's concern and reserved affection of Cain is rather adorable.  Like a little sister.  It was also cool to see Cain do some investigating. If I was to rate the Cain books so far I'd rate it thusly:

The Traitor's Hand
Death Or Glory
For The Emperor
Caves of Ice
Duty Calls

Although I'd rate Duty Calls and Caves of Ice about the same, Caves of Ice had a certain claustrophobic air to it that I liked. The short stories sprinkled around in the first volume do really help fill you in to the stories too and I understand why they structured the volumes that way.

In the way of Audiobooks: I am putting down Le Morte D'Arthur for now as I need a break from it. I picked up 1984 yesterday and listened to the first chapter on my way in to work today.  Great stuff. The first chapter seems like a short story in and of itself. I may want to re-listen to it as my mind was tuning it out and racing off on its own as I was dozing off on the train (not out of boredom, I just don't sleep well as of late). I rewound it a few times but still want to re-listen to it before I continue. I am fascinated by the world Winston lives in and although I have heard Orwellian and 1984 thrown around a lot and understand their meaning, along with watching videos talking about the book, the first chapter is just full of excellent prose and story telling.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1328 on: 17 May 2019, 12:49 »

Just started reading the lastest Expanse novel, "Tiamat's Wrath". Still too early to say much about it, it's interesting so far.
@syleegrrl

cybersmurf

« Reply #1329 on: 17 May 2019, 17:58 »

I've been recommended the Honor Harrington series. Anyone of you read that?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1330 on: 18 May 2019, 09:31 »

"Aspergirls", a book about girls and women on the spectrum from an "us" perspective.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1331 on: 18 May 2019, 09:43 »

Currently reading a locally written book about the sports history of my hometown, in particular the GAA. I'm mainly reading it because there's a significant section about my father. The author talks about how he's one of a handful of people in the country's history who won medals for Hurling and football (soccer) at the provincial level in the same year in 1968.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2019, 10:16 by Castlerook »

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1332 on: 19 May 2019, 12:08 »

I've been recommended the Honor Harrington series. Anyone of you read that?
Only On Basilisk Station, the first of the series. I think I remember enjoying it, but it was like 20 years ago.
stePH
--

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1333 on: 29 May 2019, 10:58 »

I've basically finished 1984, just getting through the appendix right now. Its really good and quite sad. I found myself being paranoid while walking through the city streets to and from work while listening to it.  I did have a question about the ending though.  We see 2 endings simultaneously for the protagonist.
(click to show/hide)

Is this just narrative doublespeak on what happened to him? Both endings are happening at the same time (or so it seems narratively) but cannot both happen at the same time since they would be contradicting themselves which is doublespeak right?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1334 on: 29 May 2019, 11:21 »

(click to show/hide)

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1335 on: 29 May 2019, 12:13 »

I just finished A Wizard of Earthsea, and now I'm thinking about rewriting Paul McCartney's song "Jet" to be about Ged.
stePH
--

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1336 on: 29 May 2019, 15:20 »

You know Ged is pronounced with a hard g, do you?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1337 on: 30 May 2019, 09:16 »

You know Ged is pronounced with a hard g, do you?
I listened to the audio book, so yes. What's your point?
stePH
--

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1338 on: 30 May 2019, 09:50 »

Not much - I wondered if you'd been seduced by a greater similarity between Jet and Ged-with-a-J; but you haven't, so all's good.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1339 on: 31 May 2019, 09:14 »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Covenant

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1340 on: 31 May 2019, 09:17 »

Not much - I wondered if you'd been seduced by a greater similarity between Jet and Ged-with-a-J; but you haven't, so all's good.

"Hard G" as in God? (So "Gehd")?

Ged, to me, IS almost the same as Jet (G as in "Gee")

Isn't text great for pronunciation discussions? :)
Covenant

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1341 on: 31 May 2019, 10:33 »

Ged like Get, not Jed like Jet.

oddtail

« Reply #1342 on: 31 May 2019, 10:56 »

I'm nearing the end of "An Artist of the Floating World" by Kazuo Ishiguro. I first heard of the writer way back in college - one of my professors was often raving about him - but I didn't get around to reading any of his novels until now.

It's... kinda amazing. My mother (whom I bought the book) described it as "a novel where nothing happens", but she really, really liked it. And honestly? That's a good description. Nothing really happens throughout the book. There's not much of a story. But it's also very good. The dialogue maintains tension and held my interest really well.

I'm definitely reading more books by this guy, and soon. If they are all this well-written, his 2017 Nobel Prize was well-deserved.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #1343 on: 02 Jun 2019, 21:07 »

"Hard G" as in God? (So "Gehd")?

Ged, to me, IS almost the same as Jet (G as in "Gee")

Isn't text great for pronunciation discussions? :)

Well, if you read the books and arrived at different pronunciations to the author's, then I think it's worth noting that you have her blessing.

You the Reader have Reader’s Rights. One of them is to pronounce made-up names and words the way you want to.

From her website.

http://www.ursulakleguin.com/FAQ.html#Names
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1344 on: 03 Jun 2019, 09:53 »

Well, I'm going with the way Rob Inglis pronounced them in the audiobook.
stePH
--

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1345 on: 11 Jun 2019, 12:43 »

I finished Good Omens yesterday by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. The book was very funny and the story intriguing. The premise is simple. The end is nigh...but an angel and demon kind of like earth the way it is and do not want it all to end, so they team up to stop the end of the world.  The characters are perhaps the best thing about the book, also the narration.  The interpretation of good and evil and how humans seem to do it better than angels or demons was pretty fun. At some point I will try and watch the Amazon Prime show.  The ending wasn't what I expected but made sense in retrospect considering the philosophy and rules set up for the world and story.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1346 on: 11 Jun 2019, 13:01 »

Having read the book, the Prime show was mildly disappointing, especially since American Gods was such a riot - although to be fair, I haven't read that book.

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

dutchrvl

« Reply #1347 on: 12 Jun 2019, 05:08 »

I'm nearing the end of "An Artist of the Floating World" by Kazuo Ishiguro. I first heard of the writer way back in college - one of my professors was often raving about him - but I didn't get around to reading any of his novels until now.

It's... kinda amazing. My mother (whom I bought the book) described it as "a novel where nothing happens", but she really, really liked it. And honestly? That's a good description. Nothing really happens throughout the book. There's not much of a story. But it's also very good. The dialogue maintains tension and held my interest really well.

I'm definitely reading more books by this guy, and soon. If they are all this well-written, his 2017 Nobel Prize was well-deserved.

If you like that (as I did that book as well), let me recommend the movie Tokyo Story (Tokyo Monogatari) to you. It's long, very slow, and not much happens really, yet I was completely entranced by it.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1348 on: 12 Jun 2019, 06:00 »

Ged like Get, not Jed like Jet.

Yeah... s'what I meant.

Ged (in the UK certainly) is pronounced like Jet.
Covenant

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1349 on: 12 Jun 2019, 07:19 »

Watched all of Good Omens and now I'm gonna read the book  :evil:
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29   Go Up