Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 26 Jun 2019, 09:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 195072 times)

JoeCovenant

• Scrabble hacker
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #1350 on: 12 Jun 2019, 06:00 »

Ged like Get, not Jed like Jet.

Yeah... s'what I meant.

Ged (in the UK certainly) is pronounced like Jet.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1351 on: 12 Jun 2019, 07:19 »

Watched all of Good Omens and now I'm gonna read the book  :evil:

sitnspin

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #1352 on: 13 Jun 2019, 08:13 »

Just finished reading "Storm of Locust" by Rebecca Roanhorse. It's the sequel to "Trail of Lightning". The books are set on Diné land after an event called the Big Water, a series of natural disasters that ravaged and flooded much of the world's surface. Through a combination of magic and engineering, the Diné managed to raise an enormous wall all around their territory, protecting it from the damage done everywhere else. Monsters and Heroes from legend once again walk the land.  The stories follow Maggie Hoskie, a monster hunter cursed with supernatural powers of strength and speed, feared and hated by the very people who rely on her services, one of a handful of people touched with powers associated with their clans.
@syleegrrl

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1353 on: 13 Jun 2019, 09:45 »

Ged like Get, not Jed like Jet.

Yeah... s'what I meant.

Ged (in the UK certainly) is pronounced like Jet.

Not according to the OED, which has an entry for Ged as a Scottish and Northern English name for the pike (fish) - pronounced with a hard g, not a j.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Theta9

• The German Chancellory building
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #1354 on: 13 Jun 2019, 12:47 »

Having read the book, the Prime show was mildly disappointing, especially since American Gods was such a riot - although to be fair, I haven't read that book.

(click to show/hide)
Does Good Omens end with the season? My Amazon menu lists it as "Season One".
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

LTK

« Reply #1355 on: 13 Jun 2019, 13:07 »

Yes, it's a relatively short book. Amazon Prime apparently has no way of indicating that it's finished after six episodes.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Castlerook

« Reply #1356 on: 13 Jun 2019, 13:37 »

Also Neil Gaiman announced that he won't be back if Amazon renews the show, stating that he hasn't written a novel since 2013's "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" and that he would like to getting back to being a novelist. I would also imagine that helping to produce Good Omens was difficult for him, considering how he and Terry Pratchett were such good friends.
Whenever someone says "I'm not book smart but I am street smart.", all I hear is "I'm not real smart, but I am imaginary smart."

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1357 on: 14 Jun 2019, 06:31 »

Also Neil Gaiman announced that he won't be back if Amazon renews the show....
...which reminds me that HBO has renewed Big Little Lies for a second season, despite the entire book story having been covered in the first.  :?

Tova

« Reply #1358 on: 14 Jun 2019, 17:33 »

Well, you know. The first season of The Handmaid's Tale covered the entire book as well, and we've had three seasons so far...
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." - Sir Joshua Reynolds (paraphrased)

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1359 on: 14 Jun 2019, 19:15 »

Well, you know. The first season of The Handmaid's Tale covered the entire book as well, and we've had three seasons so far...
I don't know that, actually. I stalled in my reading of The Handmaid's Tale and still haven't finished it.

hedgie

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Can't be buggered at all
« Reply #1360 on: 14 Jun 2019, 19:45 »

It's a bit too close to reality right now for me to give it another go.
"A person who may charitably described as 'not entirely a waste of resources, but mostly so.'"  -- Momo

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"  -- The Pythons

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1361 on: 15 Jun 2019, 06:57 »

It's a bit too close to reality right now for me to give it another go.
Off topic, but I saw a Venn diagram a couple days ago with four overlapping circles labeled:
Fahrenheit 451
Nineteen Eighty-Four
Brave New World
The Handmaid's Tale

...and in the center where all four overlap: YOU ARE HERE

sitnspin

« Reply #1362 on: 15 Jun 2019, 08:08 »

This is why I don't read stuff like that. I have enough darkness in my life without having in my entertainment as well. I don't need a dystopian allegory to make me aware of how fuck up the world is and how much more fucked up it could be. I am painfully aware.
@syleegrrl

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Definitely DEFINITELY not touching my balls
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
« Reply #1363 on: 23 Jun 2019, 08:30 »

This is why I don't read stuff like that. I have enough darkness in my life without having in my entertainment as well. I don't need a dystopian allegory to make me aware of how fuck up the world is and how much more fucked up it could be. I am painfully aware.

This is how I have felt about such fiction for a while.

I feel like I already live in a dystopia, I don't need to read about one that doesn't actually sound too much worse.
There's a difference to being bisexual and taking what you can get.
www.madcap156.wordpress.com

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1364 on: 23 Jun 2019, 12:36 »

sitnspin and Thrillho - That's fair.

sitnspin

« Reply #1365 on: 23 Jun 2019, 13:23 »

Just finished reading "The Tiger's Daughter" and now I am reading "The Phoenix Empress". The books are about too girls in a fantasy analog of  East Asia, one the crown princess and the other the daughter of the chieftain of the nomads of the steppes. Both of whose mother were famous warriors in their youths with a deep and undying friendship forged in war and trauma. The daughters, Shefali and Shinzuku are born under auspicious signs that foretell their lifelong bond and their own great destinies. The first book is told from the perspective of Shefali, the nomadic rider and archer, the eponymous Tiger's Daughter. The second is told from the pov of Shizulu, the princess/Empress of an empire slowly going to rot as an ancient evil takes root spreading sickness and demons across land.

The first book is a sweeping epic that follows them from birth until they are 17. It has action, humour, horror, and romance. The characters are rich and full and wholly believable in all their messy intricacy. The story is deeply engaging and keeps you hooked in. The romance is a long slow burn that takes its time to develop in a believable way.

I'm only a few chapters into the second book, but it is proving to be as enjoyable as the first so far.

If you are in the mood for a low fantasy epic with a side of sweet queer romance, I highly recommend.
@syleegrrl
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]   Go Up