THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Unisex Bathrooms - now with TMI!  (Read 43799 times)

stale

• Emoticontraindication
  • plantmonster
Unisex Bathrooms - now with TMI!
« on: 06 Dec 2008, 16:58 »

At work today I was thinking about the term "unisex bathrooms"

That is a counterintuitive term. "Unisex" means "only one sex", and it is NOT the case that "only one sex" can enter a so-called unisex bathroom.

We must rename them "bisexual bathrooms"

People, you're all pretty cool folks, but sometimes I do not need to know all about your excretory habits and toiletry preferences. - Inlander (P.S.: sorry for hijacking your thread title, stale.)
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2008, 20:47 by Inlander »
wind howls through our new haircuts
the water rushes 'round
forevermore we shall pass along this way

stale

• Emoticontraindication
  • plantmonster
Re: Unisex Bathrooms.
« Reply #1 on: 06 Dec 2008, 17:04 »

WHAT
the water rushes 'round

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #2 on: 06 Dec 2008, 17:14 »

Dictionary: unisex  (yū'nĭ-sĕks')

adj.

1. Designed for or suitable to both sexes: unisex clothing; unisex hairstyles.
   2. Not distinguished or distinguishable on the basis of sex; androgynous in appearance: cultivated a unisex look.

n.

Elimination or absence of sexual distinctions, especially in dress.

stale

• Emoticontraindication
  • plantmonster
« Reply #3 on: 06 Dec 2008, 17:21 »

Shit. The dictionary ruins my joke

Jeans: you must explain what the hell you were trying to get across?
the water rushes 'round

CursedMortivore

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Creepy lurker.
« Reply #4 on: 06 Dec 2008, 17:23 »

Brother is a tad bit drunk, excuse his mess?
"Fight fire with fire? You should fight everything with fire!" - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #5 on: 06 Dec 2008, 17:27 »

this thread is awful.

just saying, is all.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #6 on: 06 Dec 2008, 17:40 »

Let's make this thread not awful!

Unisex bathrooms, what do you think of them?

I think they are swell. It makes everything rather equal, plus I can go pee with my male friends, and not have to be all alone when I do such. I tend to have more male friends than female friends, so this works out.

To my knowledge, the unisex bathrooms that I have been to in St. Louis, were both in awesome places. One is in this sweet as hell lesbian coffee shop, that I love because whenever I go there all the server's flirt with me, and its a great place to meet people. The other one I have been to was in the old Creepy Crawl, which was a venue that specialized in punk and metal shows. They've moved it, and I hear it isn't as great anymore. The bathrooms weren't unisex, really, one had a pink door and the other had a blue, but I've seen both sexes use both. It was never really policed or anything.

St. Louis has some pretty sweet bathrooms. There is one in a club, and god, for the life of me I can't remember the name, but I believe it's the woman's restroom. It has two toilets, one with a stall around it, the other without, no door on the stall. Both toilets face each other, and in between them is a table with a deck of cards. Its set up that way so you can play some poker while you take a crap! That's pretty awesome. Its in some punk club, I think. CBGB's, maybe.

Anyway, how do you feel about unisex toilets? Does your city have any awesome bathrooms?
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

CursedMortivore

• Creepy lurker.
« Reply #7 on: 06 Dec 2008, 17:43 »

Some of the best bathrooms I've ever been in have been in good Barnes and Nobles. Carpeted floors, nice and clean. Man, that was a good place to go drop a deuce if you had to.
"Fight fire with fire? You should fight everything with fire!" - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

stale

• Emoticontraindication
  • plantmonster
« Reply #8 on: 06 Dec 2008, 17:43 »

It would have been perfect if the prefix 'uni' worked the same for 'sex' as it does for 'cycle'.

It's still counterintuitive. Uni meaning 'multiple' instead of 'only one'? Never saw it coming.
the water rushes 'round

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 06 Dec 2008, 17:44 »

Carpeted floors in a bathroom?

Now I've heard everything.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #10 on: 06 Dec 2008, 17:50 »

It doesn't mean multiple in that context, it just means one bathroom for both sexes, just as universal is meant to be understood as including everything without exception. Trying to define a prefix with no consideration of context is a fool's game.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #11 on: 06 Dec 2008, 17:50 »

Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #12 on: 06 Dec 2008, 17:51 »

One time when I was on campus I accidentally went into the womens washroom by accident to wash my hands because they smelled like the sandwich I had just eaten and a girl walked in as I was walking out and looked at me like I just sexually assaulted her. It was pretty goddamn embarrassing.

So yeah, unisex washrooms are a great idea.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #13 on: 06 Dec 2008, 17:55 »

i'll only agree to this if I get to be the toilet.
also israel

tragic_pizza

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Board Certified Curmudgeon
« Reply #14 on: 06 Dec 2008, 18:31 »

The closest I've ever been is going to the bathroom while my transgendered friend was in town.
[21:19] andy: Mai, I am sorry, I am going to say this outright that I would doeverything in my power to try and have sweet girl love with you.

lprkn

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #15 on: 06 Dec 2008, 18:37 »

Let's forget the prefixes. They should be "sexual bathrooms."

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #16 on: 06 Dec 2008, 18:54 »

It would have been perfect if the prefix 'uni' worked the same for 'sex' as it does for 'cycle'.

It's still counterintuitive. Uni meaning 'multiple' instead of 'only one'? Never saw it coming.

Why do you have to keep trying to ruin this thread? It wasn't a good joke to begin with.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #17 on: 06 Dec 2008, 19:14 »

i never used to really get the point of unisex bathrooms until two of my housemates, who have short hair and dress kind of guyish, told me they absolutely cannot ever use public bathrooms on account they constantly get yelled and sworn at for being in the "wrong bathroom". i think it is pretty obvious they are ladies myself, but what do i know.
now that i am aware of how horrible and rude people can be, i am pretty much all for them.
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2008, 19:16 by tania »
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #18 on: 06 Dec 2008, 19:21 »

There are unisex bathrooms at a couple of the clubs i have been to.  It is a pretty good idea because the girls inevitably wind up going into the guy's bathrooms anyway due to overcrowding.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #19 on: 06 Dec 2008, 19:25 »

Unisex bathrooms are something of a cause for anti-discrimination activists, at least where they concern the transgendered. That is, they support having more unisex bathrooms. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other on the issue, but demanding that bathrooms be integrated at, say, a sporting arena seems like a bad idea to me.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #20 on: 06 Dec 2008, 19:29 »

Man, when I went to clubs, there would always be men in the women's room, and women in the men's room. I eventually gave up and just started going in whichever was closest.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #21 on: 06 Dec 2008, 20:51 »

I understand unisex bathrooms as a way of improving efficiency. I think a good comprimise is a unisex bathroom that still afford privacy, in stalls and in a urinal, but shares facilities such as sinks and mirrors.

But, I don't think it
a) diffuses gender differences - I wonder, are people really going to feel better about their confused gender personalities because they don't have to decide if they're male or female? Maybe I'm missing the point. Having a pink door and a blue door doesn't seem like it will help - it just suggests that we're still bound to our society's idea of femininity and masculinity.

b) is as universal as it suggests in usage and comfort. You might be comfortable using a unisex bathroom, but I think there are plenty of people who aren't. For every person who likes to hang out in the bathroom a bit and have a chat/gossip, there's a person who wants some privacy. `
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #22 on: 06 Dec 2008, 20:59 »

i get how you can get privacy in stalls but how do you get privacy in a urinal outisde of the unspoken "look straight ahead rule"
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #23 on: 06 Dec 2008, 21:06 »

I've seen urinals with stalls, sans doors.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #24 on: 06 Dec 2008, 21:06 »

the unisex bathrooms we have on campus don't have blue and pink doors, just urinals and stalls. maybe it depends on where you are.

from what i gathered, i thought unisex bathrooms weren't necessarily for people who couldn't decide what gender they were but rather for people who felt uncomfortable using public bathrooms cos other people seemed to have ideas about what gender they were that conflicted with theirs. i already mentioned my housemates who get yelled at every time they use public bathrooms. another transgender friend also said it made him immensely uncomfortable because even though he identifies as male, he hasn't had genital surgery and essentially urinates standing up through a prosthetic penis which makes everybody around him incredibly uncomfortable and think he's a girl who shouldn't be there. it seemed to me the main point was that they provided an alternative to people who are sick of constantly being told they are in the wrong washroom, but i guess they have a lot of uses.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #25 on: 06 Dec 2008, 22:18 »

I meant privacy for the urinal area, not individually. So a urinal in a unisex bathroom might be in a corner or behind a screen, so dudes aren't peeing with people moving around/behind them.
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #26 on: 06 Dec 2008, 22:24 »

We have unisex bathrooms where I work. I actually hate when guys use it though, because we don't have a urinal and apparently not pissing all over the toilet/floor/walls is impossible.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Ptommydski

« Reply #27 on: 06 Dec 2008, 22:25 »

Any room is a unisex toilet if you're drunk enough.

tragic_pizza

• Board Certified Curmudgeon
« Reply #28 on: 06 Dec 2008, 22:30 »

We have unisex bathrooms where I work. I actually hate when guys use it though, because we don't have a urinal and apparently not pissing all over the toilet/floor/walls is impossible.
You try aimin' that thing!
              /
            :-D
[21:19] andy: Mai, I am sorry, I am going to say this outright that I would doeverything in my power to try and have sweet girl love with you.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #29 on: 06 Dec 2008, 23:30 »

I've never had a problem with aiming, but I've been in some mall bathrooms before...I swear, some guys just unzip in a general direction.  They may be 2 feet in front of the toilet, behind it, or lying on the floor, and it ends up getting everywhere.  WHAT THE HELL.  I've had to clean bathrooms at work (non-unisex) where people have clogged toilets with their feces, and somehow get some on the floor 3 FEET AWAY. 

The bathroom habits of random strangers boggle the mind.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Telea-Rose

« Reply #30 on: 07 Dec 2008, 00:55 »

I think if I owned a business I'd post signs that if you were caught having disgustified the bathroom you would be flayed then flogged, all on top of the building so everyone could see.  Though there also would be a large chance of no potty service for anyone, but employees. Think of the money you'd save on tp alone...

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #31 on: 07 Dec 2008, 01:04 »

One time I did know who did it; there's a note for us to just tell him it's out of order next time. The problem is that I don't go into the bathrooms after every customer who goes in there so I can't really say who did what where. I have it all planned out though if I do catch someone who obviously messes it up on purpose-- hand them the cleaning supplies.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

CarrionMan

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • The RP Syndicate
« Reply #32 on: 07 Dec 2008, 01:27 »

High school bathrooms are the worst. Especially in sheltered white communities. They try to act so urban… It's sad. There's graffiti all over the stall walls(one said, rather ironically, "STOP FUCKING WRITING ON THE STALLS". Another said "STOP FUCKING PEEING ON THE FLOOR." Both written with highlighters, but two different hand writings.), somehow there is always something on the floor, we never have soap, there was once blood in the toilet. I've had bloody noses, and because the school refuses to use paper towels to dry your hands, I've had to sit over a sink and wait for it to stop, and then decide either to leave with a soaking wet face, or look like a vampire. And once there was a roach stuck to the wall(the pot kind, not the bug kind). Also, the urinals went from porcelain white to blue. I really don't know how. It was gradual, but it happened.
"I am accusing war. I am accusing man. I am accusing universal stupidity."

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #33 on: 07 Dec 2008, 04:01 »

lookie:

Found by google search. I've seen these around, you could have them at unisex bathrooms as well. I can't really see the problem, we have a couple of unisex bathrooms at our school. It's only the drama students that use them, but whatever. It works out great.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

eddie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #34 on: 07 Dec 2008, 05:38 »

High school bathrooms are the worst. Especially in sheltered white communities. They try to act so urban… It's sad. There's graffiti all over the stall walls(one said, rather ironically, "STOP FUCKING WRITING ON THE STALLS". Another said "STOP FUCKING PEEING ON THE FLOOR." Both written with highlighters, but two different hand writings.), somehow there is always something on the floor, we never have soap, there was once blood in the toilet. I've had bloody noses, and because the school refuses to use paper towels to dry your hands, I've had to sit over a sink and wait for it to stop, and then decide either to leave with a soaking wet face, or look like a vampire. And once there was a roach stuck to the wall(the pot kind, not the bug kind). Also, the urinals went from porcelain white to blue. I really don't know how. It was gradual, but it happened.

Didn't they have toilet paper to wipe your bloody nose with>

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #35 on: 07 Dec 2008, 08:49 »

I've seen urinals with stalls, sans doors.

I would ideally like soundproof stalls. That way if I go in the bathroom and all the urinals are taken, nobody can hear the noise when I pee into a toilet. I always hate that, the loud noise made when peeing in a toilet. Doesn't stop me from standing there peeing in the toilet, but it does unnerve me slightly.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #36 on: 07 Dec 2008, 08:57 »

What do I look like, a sniper? Maybe that's what's happening with BrittanyMarie's people, they're just trying to avoid the noise of the water.

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #37 on: 07 Dec 2008, 11:24 »

Any room is a unisex toilet if you're drunk enough.

I am so sig quoting that

There is no sin except stupidity

lprkn

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #38 on: 07 Dec 2008, 12:31 »

Maybe he is very short. Or very tall. Or has a nonstandard urethral configuration.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #39 on: 07 Dec 2008, 12:39 »

Actually, as I understand from my brother's tales of his trips to America, the toilet water comes up almost to the fucking brim of the bowl, you know, instead of being just down the bottom like it does in sane countries. Can any of the US forumites confirm this?
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #40 on: 07 Dec 2008, 12:50 »

Yeah...for the most part.  I think it has something to do with the eating habits over here, the extra water helps keep the toilets clean after certain people use them.  Even then it doesn't always help.  I once had to clean the toilets in the women's room and one of them had actually completely blocked the flow of water, then solidified underneath, so we ultimately had to dump a bottle of ammonia on it to dissolve it. 

Even with high water levels I still never found it that difficult to hit above the mark.  Even when piss (hurr hurr) drunk.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #41 on: 07 Dec 2008, 13:34 »

If you think the standard american toilet is bad, you should check out some of the relics you can find in older institutional buildings like schools or airports. Those things are designed with preventing clogs in mind, not saving water. Flushing one of those bad boys sounds like unleashing a howling maelstrom from which nothing could hope to escape.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #42 on: 07 Dec 2008, 13:46 »

Re: Loud toilets

Retirement homes.  First time I used one whilst visiting my grandmother, I literally jumped off the toilet for fear of being sucked in.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #43 on: 07 Dec 2008, 13:48 »

Actually, as I understand from my brother's tales of his trips to America, the toilet water comes up almost to the fucking brim of the bowl, you know, instead of being just down the bottom like it does in sane countries. Can any of the US forumites confirm this?

not at all! There is plenty of rim room for stealthful urination. I think most men are just too lazy to learn proper marksmanship.

I think this is a good time to quote wikipedia:
Some urinals for men incorporate fly targets: images of flies that are either printed on labels stuck to the inside of the urinal or embossed directly into the porcelain. Men often feel a compulsion to aim their urine stream at the fly, and thus the fly target helps prevent men from urinating outside the basin or bowl of the urinal. Maintenance crews at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam reported in 2005 that adding a fly target to urinals reduced bathroom cleaning costs by giving men something to aim at. The urinals at terminal 4 of John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City have a fly target in the urinals. These are replaced every month because they slide off.
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #44 on: 07 Dec 2008, 13:54 »

Re:Re: Loud toilets

Man, I bet you there's a barracks or prison somewhere out there with a toilet so powerful that it just gives you the equivalent of a Brazilian wax if you're foolish enough to remain seated while flushing.

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #45 on: 07 Dec 2008, 14:24 »

One single flush can drain the sea of all its water, and then aptly fill it back up again, all the fish thinking "wtf" whilst the guy who happened to be unfortunate enough to have pressed the lever has probably been sucked in, never to be seen again
There is no sin except stupidity

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #46 on: 07 Dec 2008, 14:27 »

The Throne of Poseidon.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #47 on: 07 Dec 2008, 14:47 »

I remember, many moons ago, we set out on an expedition to find this legendary Throne of Poseidon. We were a small crew, crudely brought together by our collective governments to find the fabled shitter, but we were also good men, all with families that depended on us and the success of this mission. We spent many years away from our loves, as we searched far and wide for the Throne of Poseidon. It was dangerous, some times it was even fatal. We lost Frenchy to the nomad tribes of the Amazon on our second turn of the area, and Jose was taken cruelly by the Kraken as we neared the Throne's underground home. It was I that they had nominated to be the one to use the long lost loo, with it's golden architecture a more beautiful vision than that of my long lost family. I turned, dropped my pantaloons, squatted and sighed a sigh full of relief and happiness. But this happiness soon turned into a manic depression as I realized the fatal flaw I had made. We had travelled so far, battled through so much, and in the end I was greeted with a sight that was not as beautiful as I had first believed, for the toilet paper was in fact but a single ply thick. My friends, let my story be a warning to your young adventurous soul, for my mistake cost me dearly on that fateful journey, many moons ago.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

CursedMortivore

• Creepy lurker.
« Reply #48 on: 07 Dec 2008, 14:58 »

Surely you should go get Gilead and have him chronicle your journey. It would be most epic.

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #49 on: 07 Dec 2008, 14:59 »

It's just weird when coworkers of the opposite sex know you've just had a bowel movement.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up