THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: The 'I Feel Like Being Healthier' Thread!  (Read 39479 times)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
Re: The 'I Feel Like Being Healthier' Thread!
« Reply #300 on: 22 Mar 2009, 17:20 »

Jokes aside, I have an older cousin who did the Pacific Crest Trail a few years back, and from what he said it really does seem like the best preparation for hiking is well, hiking, just like Caspian said. He did many shorter trips throughout the country as well as a quarter of the Pacific Crest twice before committing to doing the whole thing in one go, and he didn't regret any of the preparation, particularly since one of his first real hikes revealed that he had some structural issues with his feet that required some special inserts to go along with his boots if he intended to actually finish a long hike in anything approximating comfort.
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2009, 18:04 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #301 on: 23 Mar 2009, 06:29 »

So I'm going to start climbing in the next couple of weeks, once training starts back (college is on a break at the moment). I assume that core and upper-body strength is important, right? Any other tips folk have for me?

Also, I tried to do sit-ups for the Two Hundred Sit-ups test, and I couldn't manage a single one. Wow.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #302 on: 23 Mar 2009, 06:45 »

You couldn't do a normal sit-up like the ones explained here, or you couldn't do a traditional one where you lay on your back and then sit all the way up?

This has inspired me, so I'll try the one hundred push ups programme. Wish me luck. It should be possible to do both programmes at the same time, right? I'm really enduring, just not strong anywhere. I'll try both and see if I can do them. Woo woo.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #303 on: 23 Mar 2009, 06:55 »

So I'm going to start climbing in the next couple of weeks, once training starts back (college is on a break at the moment). I assume that core and upper-body strength is important, right? Any other tips folk have for me?

Also, I tried to do sit-ups for the Two Hundred Sit-ups test, and I couldn't manage a single one. Wow.

There is legitimate reason for not being able to do a sit up as i have the same problem. Apparently it has something to do with lack of spinal curvature which can be helped through several stretching exercises, a medicine ball being a great help with the majority.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #304 on: 23 Mar 2009, 08:22 »

I used to be able to do them, but I'd say I need some form of thing to hold my feet down to get back in the swing of things. Howandever, links to info on those exercises would be mad appreciated.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #305 on: 23 Mar 2009, 08:22 »

Supersheep, honestly if you are climbing correctly, you are mostly using your legs for power and arms for balance. Some harder routes will require you to be able to pull up with your arms, but legs are muy importante.
Working on your grip would be helpful, and pull-ups, but really do not neglect leg work.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

the_pied_piper

« Reply #306 on: 23 Mar 2009, 09:35 »

Supersheep, these are some lower back exercises that i do to help me. Some exercises obviously work better for others but these were recommended for back/lower back. Also, i was told it is best to not use weights when stretching the spine (not sure why but i guess it could strain too much).

Back Hyperextensions
Back Hyperextensions on Ball
Lower Back Extensions on Ball
Lying Leg Raises
General List of Back Exercises

Personally, i would recommend the Basic Twist from the General List first. Hope this helps.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #307 on: 23 Mar 2009, 12:14 »

If you're working on your abdonimals, I wouldn't just do sit ups. It's actually bad to just train one set of muscles, if you're looking for a legit six pack I'd add variety making sure that you're in pain after every exercise. Give yourself minumum breaks and try to do 30-40 reps of a specific exercise, works wonders once you can do it consecutively.

spoon_of_grimbo

• http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #308 on: 24 Mar 2009, 17:10 »

i am a REET FAT LAD, and i'm gonna do something about it, starting now, as it's the easter holidays so i've got plenty of spare time to get a bit of a head-start in terms of fitness.

the plan:

* lots of cycling.  i used to cycle all the time, but a combination of a bike seat that feels like sitting on a brick, and the fact that i had a bit of an accident that resulted in a £200 dental bill kinda put me off.  i've always been a pretty decent cyclist though, i could go for hours without getting tired.  so i figure i'll get a new bike seat and see how that goes.

* i plan on cycling the few miles to my friend's house AT LEAST every other day, where he's mapped out a route around some country lanes that's about 3miles.  we'll start off jogging and see what we can build to from there.  then i'll bike home afterwards.

* if all the cycling goes well, i also plan on cycling to skegness, which is about 20miles away from where i live in boston, at some point during the fortnight i'm back at home, possibly more than once.

* gonna start trying to get a regular sleeping pattern going, rather than constantly staying up til the early hours and sleeping in late. 

* i'm also going to start doing situps and lifting small weights (by small i mean hand-weights, as opposed to weight benches and powerlifting).

* on top of all that, i'm going to try to eat a bit healthier - main areas being cutting down a lot on snacking, and having smaller portions at mealtimes.

...having typed all that out, i'm now actually feeling quite enthusiastic about doing all this!

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #309 on: 24 Mar 2009, 17:25 »

having smaller portions at mealtimes.

This part caught my eye because for the best results, I'd eat a lot of little meals during the course of the day, instead of just riducing how much you eat in the course of three. This is to keep up your metabolism, hopefully shedding a few pounds, or even getting you a healthier diet you don't have to force yourself into. So technically you're not sitting down at seven to a big steak or something, you're eating little things, like some boiled potatoes with other veggies at four, and maybe you'll have some stir fried shrimp at six, and so on. Do you get the idea? I've gotten myself used to the intervals of eating, so it's something I'm used to. Give it a try.
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2009, 17:45 by Avec »

spoon_of_grimbo

« Reply #310 on: 24 Mar 2009, 17:37 »

that's something i've heard a lot about, and something i've considered eventually moving towards, but the reason i mentioned reducing portions is because i generally eat too much anyway.  the whole "eyes-bigger-than-belly" thing.  i tend to cook too much and keep on eating for the taste, past the point that i'm actually hungry anymore.

but yeah, once i've cut down my overall food intake to a more sensible level, i'll try spreading that intake out over more smaller meals and see how it goes, thanks for the tip  :-)

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #311 on: 24 Mar 2009, 17:46 »

I think if you work out hard enough, and don't eat past let's say nine o'clock. I think you'll notice results.

spoon_of_grimbo

« Reply #312 on: 24 Mar 2009, 18:02 »

I think if you work out hard enough, and don't eat past let's say nine o'clock. I think you'll notice results.

that's gonna be a BIG part of it i think.  with my uni timetable allowing me to stay up til the early hours and sleep in late most days, i find myself doing that a lot and snacking late at night. 

whenever i've tried to get fit before, i've kinda viewed it as a temporary "repair-job" in a way (probably why it's never worked hehe!).  this time i'm actually going to make it a lifestyle change.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #313 on: 24 Mar 2009, 18:24 »

It doesn't necessarily have to be 9:30, my rule of thumb on that is at least 4 hours before you plan on falling asleep.  The idea is to have more time to burn off those calories instead of letting them settle by sleeping right afterwards.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #314 on: 04 Jun 2009, 20:57 »

I went on a run for the first time in a month and a half. Beat my last time by 13 minutes, would've gone longer but I had things to do. The soles of my feet are fucking mad right now.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #315 on: 05 Jun 2009, 03:52 »

Sounds awesome!  How long did you run for/how far did you go?  I haven't run in too long and should really pick it up again. I think I need new sneakers first, though.

On the good side of things, I've started eating a lot healthier and have been going to the gym at least 3 times a week (except this week because I've been too sick).  I've lost 12lbs in the last 9 weeks.  =)
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up