THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 14:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So guys which British Football team should I follow?  (Read 10004 times)

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!

I know virtually next to nothing about the state of British Footballing Teams. I have friends who are (American might I add), and it perplexes me all the fucking time when they get into arguments over Manchester United and Arsenal, what have you. At least here I can care about local sports teams (like the San Jose Sharks or the Oakland As) because I feel some kind of geographical kinship and what not. I can't do that with sports teams from across the pond!

So I implore you, football fanatics from the British Isles who also post on this forum, as well as people stateside who can do that too: what teams should I develop an unhealthy fanatical devotion to? So far, Shane in meebo has suggested Aston Villa and NOT Leeds United (if only because Tommy was out of the room). Who knows--maybe I'll give only the most ambivalent support possible to your team, maybe I'll put on some facepaint and yell at the top of my lungs when I'm around my soccer-obsessed friends.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
Re: So guys which British Football team should I follow?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2008, 08:20 »

I have been struggling with the same thing (because I get bored when the Norwegian football season is over, and at that time the British one has barely started), but I just decided that I would never get as excited about any British team as I get over my hometown's team (Bodø/Glimt førr evig!), so there was no point, because that's more than half the fun.

Anyways, several people I know have sat down with a list of all the teams in the Premier League (and sometimes the Championship), and just picked one randomly, while others have started following the same team as most of their friends did. If I were to follow a certain team, it would probably be either Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal or Tottenham, simply because those are the teams people around me seem most preoccupied with, and thus the ones that might "give" me the most.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2008, 08:30 »

As I'd mentioned in the meebs, I'm a Man United supporter, but a lot of people who start following them (or Chelsea) now tend to get the "bandwagon" label.

Also, as a Man United supporter, I think I'd have to kick you out of the Anti-Deerhoof Society if you started following Liverpool or Man City. =(
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Bowers

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Breadsticks
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2008, 09:49 »

Liverpool FC

We've won every other major cup going except the Premiership and we're in a great position to get it this year.
Very exciting time to be a Liverpool fan.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2008, 10:04 »

And risk getting my membership in the QCADS revoked? No way no how, sir.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2008, 11:13 »

Arsenal. Just because Arsene Wenger is really clever and buys bright young players for pennies and sells them on at astonishing prices.

See-Thierry Henry.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

eddie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2008, 12:52 »

Get a real hobby

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2008, 14:28 »

Be indie and go for some third division Scottish team.

Forfar athletic

And jeans a massive FUCK YOU in your direction, that is just English premier league.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2008, 14:33 »

the correct answer is The Scottish Claymores

I know nothing about this team other than FUCK YEAR
also israel

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2008, 19:43 »

I have to 2nd Arsenal. They play with a very beautiful short passing style that when works is amazing to watch. We are sitting around 4th in the standings so wouldn't be considered jumping on the bandwagon if you started now. All i can ask is please dont follow either Tottenham cuz they are our bitter rivals or Manchester United very bandwagon-y. If not Arsenal then I'd say go with a recently promoted team like Hull or Stoke.

Go Gunners!!
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Conco

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2008, 20:50 »

I'm an Arsenal fan, but I agree wholeheartedly with the post above mine, Aston Villa is a great club, and you won't be dubbed a glory hunter either.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2008, 22:11 »

In making your choice, it's very important to remember: if you choose to support a Successful English Premier League Team, you will only experience a tiny fraction of the rich array of emotions that following a sporting team has to offer.

For instance, one of my mother's oldest friends lives with his family literally down the road from Arsenal's recently retired home stadium. I've known these people my whole life. Using that as a basis I could reasonably support Arsenal. But instead I choose to follow the team my father followed when he was living in London in the '70s, Queens Park Rangers. Has being a Q.P.R. supporter been a satisfying experience in purely sporting terms? Not really. Has it made me a better man? Maybe!

Take home message: jumping on the bandwagon of an already successful and famous team is the easy route. Don't be the guy who takes the easy route.

parm

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2008, 03:30 »

Histon Town FC. A team from a small town just north of Cambridge who punch far, far above their weight. They recently beat Leeds in the FA Cup, a team whose stadium holds over five times the population of the entire twin villages of Histon and Impington. Their lead goalscorer is a postman.
You've got spunk and balls, Jen. And I like that in a woman.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2008, 04:02 »

Villa really is the way to go right now.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2008, 06:50 »

Easily the least entertaining game of football I've ever seen.

Even worse than the Chelsea-Man U F.A. Cup final from a couple of years ago?!

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2008, 06:58 »

Has to be Leeds all the way.

You couldnt make up all the stuff that has happened to us over the years.

Plus there has been one song and one album named 'Leeds United' already.

It would make you a way cooler American if you went for Leeds than some super-corporate play thing like ManUre or Chelski, or as they are more officially known Manchester United or Chelsea.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #16 on: 19 Dec 2008, 18:22 »

When Chelsea played Man U in the final my Arsenal supporter mate quipped that the only way that anything good could come from the game would be if an airplane crashed into the stadium killing everyone involved, especially if the plane was carrying Liverpool FC.

Also, Villa is a pretty good suggestion.  You could also barrack for Scunthorpe, and if anyone asks you why you can say "hurr hurr hurr sCUNThorpe hur hurr hurrr"

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #17 on: 19 Dec 2008, 23:41 »

Villa is a fun team, though it looks like their most exciting player (Young) will soon be purchased by Real Madrid. I am a dirty Chelsea fan myself, thanks to the fanaticism of a 6th grade teacher that got me into watching the league to begin with. Another team you might want to look into is Wigan Athletic. Like Villa, they lay outside the typical 4 powerhouses, yet they play a fun competitive style. They also feature Amr Zaki, who might just be the best striker in the world at the moment.
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #18 on: 19 Dec 2008, 23:49 »

I almost forgot Ebbsfleet United! They are only at the Conference level, but their recent collective fan ownership has made them fun to want to support. Every club decision is made by member vote, and they have done pretty well for themselves so far.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #19 on: 20 Dec 2008, 00:33 »

When Chelsea played Man U in the final my Arsenal supporter mate quipped that the only way that anything good could come from the game would be if an airplane crashed into the stadium killing everyone involved, especially if the plane was carrying Liverpool FC.

Not funny; because I remember this.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: 20 Dec 2008, 01:23 »

You should support Millwall. You do this by shaving off all your hair and kicking the first old lady you see in the head.

Also, football, lol.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #21 on: 20 Dec 2008, 07:12 »

I almost forgot Ebbsfleet United! They are only at the Conference level, but their recent collective fan ownership has made them fun to want to support. Every club decision is made by member vote, and they have done pretty well for themselves so far.

This is why I'm becoming a member of FC United of Manchester. Fan ownership is a great thing. The new MLS team (Seattle Sounders FC) is also fan-owned, but I can't really afford the $150/share.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #22 on: 20 Dec 2008, 08:32 »

Now imagine you're trying to choose a team to support in the IPL early this year. None of them have any heritage and all you have to go on are maybe players you like, their colours and their names. (I went with the Chennai Super Kings for their name, they came second).
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #23 on: 20 Dec 2008, 13:58 »

I support Preston North End (I think that's their name) because their logo is a sheep carrying a flag pole.

I support some obscure Portugese team because their logo is a bear climbing an apple tree.

You don't need to understand football to enjoy supporting a team, is my point I guess.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #24 on: 21 Dec 2008, 07:55 »

I support some obscure Portugese team because their logo is a bear climbing an apple tree.

May, that's Atletico Madrid. Y'know. The place in Spain. :-D

You don't need to understand football to enjoy supporting a team, is my point I guess.

That's how I got into Manchester United. I had a few packs of Football League trading cards when I was a wee lad and decided that I liked United's shirts the best.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #25 on: 21 Dec 2008, 09:23 »

Madrid is totally in Portugal. Didn't you hear about the Spanio-Portugese war last month?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #26 on: 21 Dec 2008, 17:08 »

I thought Castille and Aragon split again? Don't get me started on the Moops.

idonthaveorgans

• Not quite a lurker
    • twistedlittledreams
« Reply #27 on: 22 Dec 2008, 18:15 »

Tottenaham, even if we have the magic ability to lose matches in the last 5 minutes despite being up 10 nil. though that trend seems to of reversed somewhat recently.

Aurjay

« Reply #28 on: 22 Dec 2008, 19:47 »

Tottenaham, even if we have the magic ability to lose matches in the last 5 minutes despite being up 10 nil. though that trend seems to of reversed somewhat recently.

I loved the joke: What's the difference between Tottenham and a triangle? A triangle has 3 points...

That or a kid who's parents beat him was allowed to choose who he wanted as his guardian. The kid chose Tottenham because he knew they never beat anyone.

Ok sorry i know you didn't deserve that but man I freakin hate Tottenham. How dare you score 2 fucking goals in 2 minutes to tie Arsenal 4-4...Seriously WTF!!

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #29 on: 22 Dec 2008, 20:28 »

There's probably never been a better time to post this:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ82aMQONvc

Aurjay

« Reply #30 on: 22 Dec 2008, 20:36 »

There's probably never been a better time to post this:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ82aMQONvc

LOL i hate you but LOL

Not fair being a Yank that loves "Socher" I do get a chance to explain the benefits of real Football to my American Football friends, even converted a few. Best thing ever is talking them into going drinking with me at 5am(S.Korea WC). Oh and MLS is a joke please take back your washed up Brits. 

idonthaveorgans

• Not quite a lurker
    • twistedlittledreams
« Reply #31 on: 23 Dec 2008, 02:31 »

I loved the joke: What's the difference between Tottenham and a triangle? A triangle has 3 points...

That or a kid who's parents beat him was allowed to choose who he wanted as his guardian. The kid chose Tottenham because he knew they never beat anyone.

Ok sorry i know you didn't deserve that but man I freakin hate Tottenham. How dare you score 2 fucking goals in 2 minutes to tie Arsenal 4-4...Seriously WTF!!

i liked those jokes to.

ahhh sorry dude, but they should of sent out the arsenal ladies like fabregas(was it him?) suggested before the match.

MarkTBSc

• Curry sauce
  • The pheasant has no agenda
« Reply #32 on: 23 Dec 2008, 04:07 »

I'm a Brit but rather unfond of Football myself. I find the whole thing to be a colossal waste of time and energy. Having said that however, you might want to steer clear of any team that has a strongly millitant following. After all, you don't want to answer a question wrong one dark night and find yourself being knifed in an alley by a ManU supporter on his hollidays.

Histon sounds like a nice choice. If I had to pick someone for myself it'd be Cambridge United, but only because I'm a Cambridge lad.

Meh. Pick a Rugby team instead. More violence.
Unique Quarks - For when Antimatter just isn't destructive enough.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #33 on: 23 Dec 2008, 04:16 »

Also, by the way, sticking to a team with a solid economy etc can make being a supporter a whole lot easier. You'll still get the ups and downs (at least to a certain degree), but you won't have to deal with a new economic crisis every goddamn year, and the sudden "Oh my God, we have to sell our best player who has just signed a 5 year contract!"-stuff. That takes a lot away from the whole thing.

(Yes, I'm sick and tired of my hometown's team's financial problems.)

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
« Reply #34 on: 23 Dec 2008, 05:46 »

Never mind football. Become a rugby fan instead.

I'm a Glasgow Warriors fan in the Celtic League (teams from Scotland, Ireland, and Wales), but I've also got a soft spot for Bath from the English Premiership. The best thing about rugby though are the international games. Something that's not really a viable option in most Northern American sports on a regular basis, though with rugby it's the main event. There's the 6 nations tournament (Northern Hemisphere) and the Tri Nations (Southern Hemisphere), and the world cup every 4 years. The British and Irish Lions tours every other four years in between, and the constant "friendly" games played between everyone.

Plus rugby has a much more friendly atmosphere around it. There is a great belief in the rules and code of conduct in the game, and the referees and officials recieve much more respect. The fans themselves view the sport differently. With football in Europe/South America there is often such bad feeling between differing fans of opposite teams. Living in Glasgow, Scotland, I unfortunately see this al too often as there are two teams called Rangers and Celtic, of which the fans generally hate each other. What's even more pathetic is that the hate is based upon religious bigotory as the fans of either team are historically either Protestant or Catholic respectivelly. The fans are segregated and don't mingle, there is always problems with violence and drunkeness, and it's nothing more than a past-time with which to distract the great unwashed of the city.

I've never seen any similar problems at rugby. I can happily go to a Scotland v England game in either country and the fans are mixed together, before, during, and after the game without incident. Everyone can enjoy the game as the sport and entertainment it is. A Scotland or England fan sitting in amongst the opposition supporters at a football game would have to do so in fear of their life!
She looked me over and I guess she thought I was all right...
All right in a sort of a limited way for an off night.

Aurjay

« Reply #35 on: 23 Dec 2008, 08:43 »

I watched a Cambridge rugby match once and have to admit its a great game as well and could easily see getting into it. Their is a saying and I beleive it. Soccer is a gentleman's game played by thugs whereas rugby is a thug's game played by gentleman. I think their fans fall into the same. Rugby fans seemed to get along pretty well with the opposing side.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #36 on: 23 Dec 2008, 19:53 »

You've never met any rugby players, huh?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Aurjay

« Reply #37 on: 23 Dec 2008, 20:39 »

Ya ive met one seemed like a pretty good guy and the Rugby game i went to was pretty civilised. At least compared to the Soccer match I went to in Amsterdam...

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #38 on: 23 Dec 2008, 21:03 »

My brother is a Sunderland fan. My dad is a Man U fan.They both gang up on my ex boyfriend for liking Cardiff (though Cardiff isn't British). Our wireless network is called SAFC 4 Life, just to start a fight. I definately lean a bit more towards Man U though, my brother doesn't really make a good case for Sunderland.

I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #39 on: 24 Dec 2008, 02:01 »

Last time I went there Cardiff was still in Britain.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

idonthaveorgans

• Not quite a lurker
    • twistedlittledreams
« Reply #40 on: 24 Dec 2008, 03:09 »

They relocated to Zanzibar.

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
« Reply #41 on: 24 Dec 2008, 03:17 »

I am a rugby player. Huh?

Rugby players are famous for being very boistorous, and a lot of the time it's well deserved. Rugby players have are known for heavy drinking and a penchant for group/public nudity. The point being that I've never been to a rugby match where the fans are sitting there shouting religious/racist bile at each other and the players, where there always has to be a huge police presence before and after the game to deter any trouble, and there are running battles in the streets between fans after a game. I've never picked up a paper and read about the number of arrests after a rugby match and how many people have been stabbed/beaten in all the carry on afterwards.

No, instead I can go to a rugby game, enjoy a few drinks (should I choose to), sit in amongst the crowd in a mixture of fans, and enjoy the game/atmosphere for what it is.

« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2008, 03:19 by Leonidas »
She looked me over and I guess she thought I was all right...
All right in a sort of a limited way for an off night.

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #42 on: 24 Dec 2008, 17:11 »

Last time I went there Cardiff was still in Britain.

Sorry, for some reason I was thinking England (wtf).
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #43 on: 02 Feb 2009, 13:23 »

I hear he scores nearly every damn time when he strikes from the three-point line.
Pages: [1]   Go Up