THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 21:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: R4 being used in Library. I get to write an apology letter to the patron now  (Read 5437 times)

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog

So a teenager was using an R4 device in the library and asked my help to make it work on the computer.

I went over to the computer and reminded him of the library's policy of downloading illegal software and left.  He seemed perfectly fine.

Later his Mom called and wanted an apology.  Apparently the kid was upset.

Is there really any reason to use one of those dodgy things if you aren't pirating games?  They damage hardware.  The Mom said they need to backup DS games because DS games "wear out in a month".    ?!!?!!???

Here is my apology:

"I am very sorry that I offended a patron who came into the library to use a hardware device for a legitimate purpose.

I only meant to remind the young patron about the rules we have regarding downloading illegal software.

I did not mean to upset the patron or accuse them of using the device in an illegal manner.

I understand that the R4 device is not illegal in itself.  However, there are a lot of people who misuse the device and it has a history of damaging hardware it’s used with.  I tell anyone that I see using similar devices of the library’s polices.

However, in the future I will certainly take into consideration the feelings of the patron involved and make sure that I do not sound accusatory when I talk to future patrons.

I do not want to drive away patrons.

There is nothing wrong with using personal hardware with our public access computers.

Misuse in the past by many other patrons is no excuse for accusing other patrons of misuse.

I feel very badly about this situation and I will try be more sensitive in the future
."

I personally think that any parent who buys their kid a thing like a R4 chip should at least tell them not to use it in the public library.

I think it was the woman (not the Mom) who was with the kid who made the situation worse.

...oh and the kid said that it was OK since he bought it "on the Internet".  Later his Mom told me that they had got it in Pennsylvania.

MrGreenGenes

You can use an R4 to run homebrew software on your DS.  It's a perfectly legitimate use.  Of course most people do use them just to pirate games.  I have never heard of these things damaging a DS or that the games could "wear out".  That doesn't make any sense at all.  It's a digital file on an sd card, what could possibly make it wear out?  Perhaps they just don't know how to properly eject an sd card and keep corrupting the data.  As far as damaging the DS, the fake cards could potentially do that, but if you know what you're buying is legit, there's no need to worry.

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog

No she said that he uses the R4 to backup games because the DS games themselves "wear out".

So yeah, that sounds like BS to me.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout

So, wait.  Do you work at the library he was trying to do this at?

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor

All I know about R4 is that it is a speed that is obviously far too fast for comfort.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties

Get a blawg, dawg.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

bicostp

• Beyoncé

There's a good chance he wanted to pirate some games. Library computers are a lot harder to trace. If he didn't care about being caught downloading commercial ROMs or was downloading homebrew, he most likely would have done it at home.

I bet the parent is either technologically challenged, or was given false information to "justify" piracy.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES

Or he wanted to use the library computer as a holding pen for viruses he may have already got on his own PC.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

MrGreenGenes

No she said that he uses the R4 to backup games because the DS games themselves "wear out".

So yeah, that sounds like BS to me.

Oh yeah, that's definitely BS.

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog

Or he wanted to use the library computer as a holding pen for viruses he may have already got on his own PC.

Yeah that's the other issue.  I really don't want our computers to get even more messed up the they already are.

In any case the Mother got upset and there is nothing much else I can do.

I just kinda wanted to know if there was a legitimate reason for using an R4 card other than piracy.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master

Sure there is, just like there is a legitimate use for BitTorrent, it's just that most people don't actually use it for a legitimate purpose.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria

All I know about R4 is that it is a speed that is obviously far too fast for comfort.

This entire thread I've been trying to figure out why the term "R4" sounded so familiar. I didn't know it in the context of portable electronics...

And then I saw this and have not been able to stop laughing.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Che_Lab

• Not quite a lurker
  • I didn't sign up for this forum willfully.

This is a little just a little more than a little trippy.  My friend actually was pirating games onto his R4 in a library about a week ago.
whats also trippy is that my name is Caleb (the threadstarter's username)
When I signed up for this forum, I had read the comic once, a year prior.

I don't think its that great of a sig either.

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog

Caleb is a pretty common name.

I would lead towards coincidence in this case.

Trippy is when the world starts making sense.

Che_Lab

• Not quite a lurker
  • I didn't sign up for this forum willfully.

Yeah actually I've only met one other Caleb IRL.  Then again I live in Alaska, so I'm not expecting much.

Trippy is an epic word btw.
When I signed up for this forum, I had read the comic once, a year prior.

I don't think its that great of a sig either.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?

Trippy is when the world starts making sense.

I'm going to start using this.

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!

I have an R4 and I use it so I don't have to lug around all of my game cartridges with me wherever I go. Plus it plays music and movies and is pretty good on battery life.

clockworkjames

• Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew

"Dear parent/son,

Rules are rules, Q_Q moar.

I have included a BUKKIT FOAR TEERS.

|         |
|         |
|         |
 \____/     As you can see the carebukkit for your teers is empty.

Your son has now been banned from the library.

Good day to you.

Piracy is one step away from Terrorism. Terrorism is bad.

I will not negotiate with terrorists.

END.

If he uses it at home there is no reason for him to use it in a library other than to download stuff which may or may not be illegal.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.

"Dear parent/son,

Rules are rules, Q_Q moar.

I have included a BUKKIT FOAR TEERS.

|         |
|         |
|         |
 \____/     As you can see the carebukkit for your teers is empty.

Your son has now been banned from the library.

Good day to you.

Piracy is one step away from Terrorism. Terrorism is bad.

I will not negotiate with terrorists.

END.

If he uses it at home there is no reason for him to use it in a library other than to download stuff which may or may not be illegal.

I would quote that in my signature if it didn't take up so much space for that much awesome.

clockworkjames

• Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew

"I will not negotiate with terrorist"

Yeah that has been sig quoted across the internets.

And got me banned.

My original post was "COMMENDABLE USE OF CAPS THERE, YOU'RE A CREDIT TO THE FORCE! GOOD JOB ROOKIE! GENERIC COP COMPLIMENT ETC." before the dick edited it.
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2008, 21:13 by clockworkjames »
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off
Pages: [1]   Go Up