THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new style  (Read 9984 times)

pax

new style
« on: 30 Dec 2008, 21:28 »

No offense to jeph, but I think his new style is a step in a wrong direction. It's just my oppinion, don't throw more bricks at me please, the last one nearly fractured my skull... aaaargh! Squeak squeak

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
Re: new style
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2008, 21:47 »

Wrong place for this. ;)

(Reporting to mods.)

Tybalt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Can't always unscramble eggs
« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2008, 22:31 »

What exactly would you call this style?  "good"?

Jeph draw shit plz k thx

Anyway, it's not even new.  You could be talking about several months, or years.
...and that's why I eat bugs.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2008, 22:32 »

I think the OP might be talking about the website design.

Tybalt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Can't always unscramble eggs
« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2008, 22:46 »

.....Sorry, I have very low expectations for newbies.  My bad, OP.
...and that's why I eat bugs.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2008, 01:42 »

But I was puzzled at Sven's height today, what with the counter being at his thigh level; either his lower legs have grown a lot, or he's standing on a box...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

alexsc12

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2008, 02:47 »

I don't know much about art, and I aren't criticising but recently Raven's been looking like a fish. That's all I have to say.

plumbob78

• Obscure cultural reference
  • ˇViva la revolución!
« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2008, 12:55 »

But I was puzzled at Sven's height today, what with the counter being at his thigh level; either his lower legs have grown a lot, or he's standing on a box...

The counter height doesn't look to have changed since strip 1181 and looks roughly the same as far back as 1018, too.

_Allan_

• Plantmonster
  • I <3 Hanners
« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2008, 13:48 »

I would peg Sven at around 7' but I know he's not much taller then Faye.
It's just a simple mistaken 'perspective' and Jeph can (and should) be fogiven for it.
"He's fat, drinking and driving,in a furry gay outfit, covered in soot, he's smoking, and you let him in the house because he says he has something for your kids... what the hell kind of father are you anyway??" Jeff Dunham, 2008

chrisa1

• Plantmonster
« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2008, 14:36 »

I would peg Sven at around 7' but I know he's not much taller then Faye.
It's just a simple mistaken 'perspective' and Jeph can (and should) be fogiven for it.

Yeah, Sven is definitely tall compared to the environment in this strip.

Waitaminit... this is *not* the thread about this week's comics... must return to proper thread now!

MrMonk

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2008, 15:31 »

The casts' heights seem to be variable.  At one time, Dora and Marten were about the same height, with Dora sometimes a little taller.   Now, Marten seems to have grown.  Relative ages seem to be a problem too.  Seasons also seem to vary over short periods of time, judging by the way the cast dresses.
If you don't hear from me again, expect the worse.  Long live the Batman.

_Allan_

• Plantmonster
  • I <3 Hanners
« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2008, 19:32 »

it would be NICE if Mr. Jeph would age/season/progress 'correctly', but it is HIS comic.  I remember one day taking like 3 weeks to get through *LOL*
"He's fat, drinking and driving,in a furry gay outfit, covered in soot, he's smoking, and you let him in the house because he says he has something for your kids... what the hell kind of father are you anyway??" Jeff Dunham, 2008

danjc2

« Reply #12 on: 04 Jan 2009, 07:41 »

I dont know why im choosing to point it out, but here goes

it
is
a
comic
not
the
real
world

There we go ^.^ i mean seriously, just because it LOOKS a bit like the real world, doesnt mean it is. how do you know a year is really a year? how do you know a season lasts as long as it does for us? they have private space stations and little robot ipods and chibi droid running around for frikking sake!

_Allan_

• Plantmonster
  • I <3 Hanners
« Reply #13 on: 04 Jan 2009, 14:14 »

Lynn Johnson (For Better or For Worse) has for 20+ years, Tom Batiuk and Chuck Ayers (Crankshaft), Greg Evans (Luann), Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman (Zits) have all managed to 'age' their characters in pretty much real time.  For most of their comics, one real year is one comic year.

Bug again, it's up to each individual arteest

Sir Ralen

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #14 on: 04 Jan 2009, 18:23 »

Dear Mr. Jacques:

Why doesn't your art style conform to my personal opinion (hereafter referred to as 'the law of the universe')?
I don't think it should be that hard for your free comic to be drawn in a way that mirrors exactly the quality and style that I demand.
The law of the universe dictates that all comics should age and advance in real time.
Thank you for your time, because I'm sure you read all of the lovely messages degrading your [ridiculously awesome and way over the quality level of any
other free webcomic I enjoy] art.

Was this hateful and sarcastic enough for my first post?
To the OP: It took me awhile to get used to it, but I quite like the new color scheme.  I wonder if the forums will match it eventually.

Evander

• Emoticontraindication
    • http://evander.joethecat.com
« Reply #15 on: 05 Jan 2009, 09:23 »

The casts' heights seem to be variable.  At one time, Dora and Marten were about the same height, with Dora sometimes a little taller.   Now, Marten seems to have grown.

Jeph is a tall man.

As a fellow tall man I can suggest that, when you are very tall, it can be hard to judge the relative heights of others, and this sort of thing might manifest in his comic strip.
Make flame love, not flame war.

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
« Reply #16 on: 05 Jan 2009, 12:51 »

if its the site style the op is referring to, then I agree.

In the new website design Jeph really messed it up. The old layout kept things neat and focused. you should rarely every have to scroll far down if its not nessesary.
Help bring back the dragons!

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #17 on: 05 Jan 2009, 13:17 »

Ralen, that is a pretty awesome first post. all the complaining is a bit silly when you put it in perspective.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Chipmissioner

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #18 on: 05 Jan 2009, 13:57 »

Lynn Johnson (For Better or For Worse) has for 20+ years, Tom Batiuk and Chuck Ayers (Crankshaft), Greg Evans (Luann), Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman (Zits) have all managed to 'age' their characters in pretty much real time.  For most of their comics, one real year is one comic year.

Not to be nitpicky here, but I don't think "Zits" follows anything close to "real time".  Pretty sure Jeremy was a Freshmen in high school for about 10 years of real time.

Kassul

« Reply #19 on: 07 Jan 2009, 11:07 »

The whole two-colour thing actually kinda appeals to me.

Reminded me of a book series I read ages ago, Death Gate Cycle by Weiss and Hickman.  One of the uberpowerful races in the series(the Sartan) have white hair that has dark tips.  Kinda feel like going back to re-read them now.

I knew a woman who intentionally kept her hair with half the length a different colour than the rest.  Like Dora it wasn't just her roots showing kind of thing, she had a good 15 cm/6 inches of her natural reddish colour and then another chunk that gradually faded to a blonde.  Took a while to get used to, but it was kinda hot once I did.  Don't worry Jeph, not lusting after Dora now or ever :P

I expect she'll end up cutting off the black bits once the blonde gets long enough, but Dora's kinda odd, she might actually decide she likes it.

Siibillam-Law

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #20 on: 07 Jan 2009, 17:26 »

Jeph is a tall man.

As a fellow tall man I can suggest that, when you are very tall, it can be hard to judge the relative heights of others, and this sort of thing might manifest in his comic strip.

man I hear that. I feel like Sven most of the time, towering over coffee counters and suchlike
There is no sin except stupidity

snowdove

« Reply #21 on: 23 Jan 2009, 07:17 »

The casts' heights seem to be variable.  At one time, Dora and Marten were about the same height, with Dora sometimes a little taller.   Now, Marten seems to have grown.  Relative ages seem to be a problem too.  Seasons also seem to vary over short periods of time, judging by the way the cast dresses.

Heels.  It could be that Dora is wearing heels. 

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #22 on: 23 Jan 2009, 21:52 »

.....Sorry, I have very low expectations for newbies.  My bad, OP.

Because, you know, you are a sage of the QC Forums.
Hate, rain on me

Siibillam-Law

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #23 on: 24 Jan 2009, 07:58 »

Zing!
There is no sin except stupidity

RovingSoul

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jan 2009, 02:08 »

Not to be nitpicky here, but I don't think "Zits" follows anything close to "real time".  Pretty sure Jeremy was a Freshmen in high school for about 10 years of real time.
Zits definetly doesn't. Hasn't he gotten slightly further in his life (driver's license and all) and always been 15? Actually, I thought that he was always 16, but after reading my own driver's license comment....
And For Better or Worse was irritating. Who wants to read a comic in which the dog DIES???
Pages: [1]   Go Up