THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 16:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New jerks jerkolusions thread  (Read 30841 times)

Gilead

New jerks jerkolusions thread
« on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:05 »

What are your new years resolutions? Mine are:

Meet as many interesting people as I can
Try as much new stuff as I can
Improve my art as much as I can

Cicero

Re: New jerks jerkolusions thread
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:06 »

Working a 9-5 is overrated.   I'm on a grizzy.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:07 »

-Release another EP
-Play a show or two
-Move to Bostonish.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Cicero

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:08 »

I'm proud of you Jeans.   Nice goals.   And Valley you make music?   Direct me to it.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:09 »

Honestly, the only active life change I feel necessary to commit to at this point in my life is going back and finishing school, but I'd rather wait until the economy has sorted itself out a bit before I start committing money to something like that.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Gilead

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:09 »

Take pictures, read books, discover music.

That is all.
Take a picture of you reading a book about a band you haven't listened to until now and you can get it done all at once.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:10 »

I'm proud of you Jeans.   Nice goals.   And Valley you make music?   Direct me to it.

Yeah, it's more "experimental noise" than "music".
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Cicero

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:10 »

Okay, you're right.   It is experimental noise.    Glad you're making the effort -- but I'm not a fan.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:12 »

I'd like to learn more about the stock market so I can play a little when the economy isn't in such a shithole.  Finances are my only major worry, and I worry a LOT.  

Other than that, I'll try to continue being a good mother/daughter/sister/girlfriend.
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

Gilead

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:12 »

Take a picture of you reading a book about a band you haven't listened to until now and you can get it done all at once.

Man, if I took a picture of myself right now that is what I would be doing.

(Our Band Could Be Your Life, The Replacements chapter)
Hot damn you could have your resolutions done before you even start them, why aren't you hopping to it?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:13 »

I'm not exactly making resolutions but I'm really, really going to try and save up this year. By February I should have paid off the money I spent on ChicagoCon tickets and I also get a couple of pay rises so I've got no excuse not to manage to save some moneys.

Oh and I want to learn to cook properly, preferably before my dinner party or that will be something of a disaster.

Mostly though I guess this year's goal is to get settled into a uni (whichever one it ends up being) and not sink under the weight of being independant and stuff.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:14 »

I am pretty resolution free at the moment.  I am currently totes content with where I am at.  Well I will be moving onto applying for jobs in advertising/publishing in both Sydney and Brisbane after I come back from visiting you kids in the overseas, but that is like 9 months away so it hardly counts as a 'new years resolution'.

Basically, my life is pretty great.

Oh wait I thought of one, learn to play my guitar well!
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Cicero

« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:15 »

Honestly, the only active life change I feel necessary to commit to at this point in my life is going back and finishing school, but I'd rather wait until the economy has sorted itself out a bit before I start committing money to something like that.

This is about as bad as an idea as you can get.   You need to finish now so you're ahead of the curve before people start getting out and taking advantages of the opportunities you're already missing.   The economy is rough, but finishing school should be a priority.    There are plenty of jobs available.   People just need to grow brains and take advantages of the opportunities that there are.   One thing college doesn't prepare you for is having common sense.   They also don't really prepare you for the real world.    That is shit you have to do on your own, or if you're lucky you can make connections and get in with people who can prepare you and show you the ropes.

Finish school.   You'll be glad you did.   I'll be glad I'll be done next Fall for my undergraduate.  After that, time to kick ass and take charge of all the opportunities most fucko Americans are missing because they lack a brain in their head.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:15 »

1. Actually write, record, and release an album of some kind.
2. Get a job.
3. Write more songs in general.
4. Keep passing my classes.
5. Hope upon hope I get to study abroad this coming fall.

TMac91

« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:15 »

I guess mine are pretty simple.
Try to get into a decent college
Try to hang out with friends more
And try not to change too much for the experience.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #15 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:16 »

some of these i probably will only partly accomplish or not accomplish at all, but i figure i might as well set my goals high for that reason.

- graduate... a given, but here's hoping i can get through the next four months without fucking that up somehow
- graduate with an A average for my last 20 credits
- apply for and get an internship somewhat related to what i want to do with my life (hurray for avoiding working in the real world another year due to the economy being stupid!)
- get better at guitar
- get my goddamn driver's license already
- figure out how to apply to the grad schools i want to go to
- get to chicago in august
- become 100% financially independent
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Cicero

« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:17 »

I'd like to learn more about the stock market so I can play a little when the economy isn't in such a shithole.  Finances are my only major worry, and I worry a LOT.  

Other than that, I'll try to continue being a good mother/daughter/sister/girlfriend.

Now is the absolute time to start taking advantage of the stock market.   Buyers market if there ever was one, and with a little knowledge right now -- it'll help you get a long way.   I don't know what your bankroll is -- but if you could save up about five thousand dollars over the next few months and put that in there now and look at some good options like 2040's -- you'd be set for life.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #17 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:18 »

I have no idea what a 2040 is...?
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #18 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:18 »

This is about as bad as an idea as you can get.   You need to finish now so you're ahead of the curve before people start getting out and taking advantages of the opportunities you're already missing.   The economy is rough, but finishing school should be a priority.    There are plenty of jobs available.   People just need to grow brains and take advantages of the opportunities that there are.   One thing college doesn't prepare you for is having common sense.   They also don't really prepare you for the real world.    That is shit you have to do on your own, or if you're lucky you can make connections and get in with people who can prepare you and show you the ropes.

Finish school.   You'll be glad you did.   I'll be glad I'll be done next Fall for my undergraduate.  After that, time to kick ass and take charge of all the opportunities most fucko Americans are missing because they lack a brain in their head.

I'm long since in the real world. I work, live on my own and maintain a steady lifestyle. I'm making enough that I live generally comfortably, I'd just prefer to get into what I want to.

As for staying ahead of the curve, I'm not particularly concerned. I'd like to go into teaching, so I'm not too worried as far as the job market goes. As long as I'm in a teaching job by thirty, I'll be satisfied. I'm not waiting because I don't feel like going, by any means, I'm waiting because financial aid is few and far between in this economy and I'd rather not stretch myself too thin and worry about neglecting my responsibilities.
JON MADE ME GAY

Gilead

« Reply #19 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:20 »

Academia is basically a magical fantasy land completely insulated from the economy, you might as well jump right in to that wardrobe and spend the next few years riding this shit out. If you're lucky you'll graduate just in time for a job market boom.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #20 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:20 »

jens, if you have not already read 'please kill me' (by legs mcneil and gillian mccain) i think you would love it. you seem to like all the same music books i do.

Cicero

« Reply #21 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:24 »

A 2040 would be an investment that would be low-risk, low-reward.   You're not going to make a ton of money on it -- but you'll never lose money.   It's a safe bet.   Say you put in 5,000 dollars into a 2040 fund through someone say like Edward Jones, you might earn 5% on that a year.  So, 250 bucks.   Well, 250 bucks a year over 30 years or so ends up being a nice little reward at the end of the tunnel.    You'll gain more than that though -- I'm just using an example to help you out.

A 2010/2020 investment would be putting in something that'd be high-risk, high-reward.   The year is basically when you'd "take out" your money.   You can lose money here, but you can also make a killing.    I haven't set up any investments yet because I'm paying down my debt while I'm in school (I'm fortunate) and recently was diagnosed with a kidney disease so I have some bills to pay -- but investing right now in the early 20's (before 25) will net you hundreds of thousands, if not millions if you just play things smart.    

If you ever need any advice in this area or want to talk about stuff like this, I'd like to think I have an inkling or two to share.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #22 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:24 »

Ah, Gilead, if only. You should see the shit my brother's going through right now to attend school. He's having to lean heavily on our parents, which is delaying our father's retirement for at least the next few years. I'm basically going to have to get into a local community college or an online program and work my balls off to get a high GPA and hope like hell I can land some good financial aid. I'm at least planning to take a handful of classes this year if I can afford it.
JON MADE ME GAY

SonofZ3

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #23 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:26 »

Academia is basically a magical fantasy land completely insulated from the economy, you might as well jump right in to that wardrobe and spend the next few years riding this shit out. If you're lucky you'll graduate just in time for a job market boom.

Must be nice, I spent my five years at college working night jobs and constantly stressing as to how I'd pay my bills, while being put into debt by student loans. I want to go to this college where the economy doesn't effect you.
I've gained nothing from Zen.

Gilead

« Reply #24 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:27 »

That's not economy, that's being a student, you'd have to pull that shit no matter what the economy's like.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2008, 08:29 by Gilead »

Cicero

« Reply #25 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:29 »

I'm long since in the real world. I work, live on my own and maintain a steady lifestyle. I'm making enough that I live generally comfortably, I'd just prefer to get into what I want to.

As for staying ahead of the curve, I'm not particularly concerned. I'd like to go into teaching, so I'm not too worried as far as the job market goes. As long as I'm in a teaching job by thirty, I'll be satisfied. I'm not waiting because I don't feel like going, by any means, I'm waiting because financial aid is few and far between in this economy and I'd rather not stretch myself too thin and worry about neglecting my responsibilities.

As long as you're able to manage man, do your thing.   College is overrated in my book, but almost a necessary experience to have a fair shake in life.   I've been blessed to get scholarships, financial aid (my mom is dirt poor) and to only be 20K down and on pace to graduate with two separate majors.   If I could do it all over again, I'd of went to tech school or gotten a degree from somewhere in music production and sound engineering.   Well, maybe I wouldn't do it over again.    I don't like to brag or anything like that, but I've set myself up with an impeccable resume, tons of working experience (I lobby for my school politically and do a lot of big work for them) and have got a lot of references. 

College has been fun.   The classes don't mean shit, it is the people you know and the things you learn outside the classroom that really matter.   That sort of stuff is trill and applicable.

Anyways man, I wish you the best.   Hopefully you realize I came here guns a blazin' because my friend who invited me told me this was a tough crowd.    You guys are all right.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #26 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:29 »

Yes, I'm going with Gilead on this one, at least partly. Regardless of how the economy is, being a student is always financially hard. I wouldn't say it's completely insulated though; of course the economy is going to affect everything from how much funding there is to whether or not you can get a decent part time job. Even so, when the economy is strong students still have to eat beans for a week.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #27 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:30 »

My New Year's resolutions include sticking around in this dead end job for another year, treating the people around me pretty terribly and becoming more sedentary.  That last one might be a bit difficult since I quit playing World of Warcraft, but I'll figure something out, I'm sure.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #28 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:31 »

i think gilead just means that, in very simplified terms, you might as well go to school if you have the money because it means avoiding finding a job for that much longer, which with the financial crisis is basically an impossible thing to do in north america right now.

Cicero

« Reply #29 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:31 »

One of the first principles you'll learn in economics is that you have to spend money to make money.   Going into debt is just a part of life.   Yes, right now it is hard to obtain loan and financial aid  because of the economy and lenders backing out from those traditional routes (you can blame 80s yuppies, welfare lovers and fiscally irresponsible turds for that) -- but options are available.   Honestly guys, they are.    The economy is in a bad way, but don't let it get to the mythical realm where it encourages helplessness and makes you feel like you can't rise above it.

Gilead

« Reply #30 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:32 »

Yes, I'm going with Gilead on this one, at least partly. Regardless of how the economy is, being a student is always financially hard. I wouldn't say it's completely insulated though; of course the economy is going to affect everything from how much funding there is to whether or not you can get a decent part time job. Even so, when the economy is strong students still have to eat beans for a week.
That's what I'm trying to get at, you're going to be a poor bastard if you're a student no matter what, might as well do it when you'd also be a poor bastard out of school because there's no jobs going.

Cicero

« Reply #31 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:32 »

i think gilead just means that, in very simplified terms, you might as well go to school if you have the money because it means avoiding finding a job for that much longer, which with the financial crisis is basically an impossible thing to do in north america right now.

Go to school even if you don't have the money.  It'll be there later.   Money will never run out.

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #32 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:35 »

I don't have any new year's resolutions.

I might try to be more socially active when I feel like it, but it's nothing to do with the new year.

Cicero

« Reply #33 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:41 »

That is awesome that there are a lot of musicians here.   Is there a thread with pictures of equipment and discussions in that regard?   I'm an equipment whore.   Sorry if this is off-topic.

Gilead

« Reply #34 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:42 »

Sam what is your wallet situation?

Cicero

« Reply #35 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:43 »

I ate it.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #36 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:45 »

There's a Guitar Topic on the Music Talk page that gets posted on pretty regularly. Anything else, start another thread.

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #37 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:47 »

Graduate
Try to get a better job at Yale
More friends!
Spend not too much money in Boston, Seattle, Chicago, and wherever this year takes me.
Keep in contact with old friends
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #38 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:57 »

Cicero

« Reply #39 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:58 »

Colleges and Universities is big business, cause it's a business man.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #40 on: 31 Dec 2008, 09:16 »

A 2040 would be an investment that would be low-risk, low-reward.   You're not going to make a ton of money on it -- but you'll never lose money.   It's a safe bet.   Say you put in 5,000 dollars into a 2040 fund through someone say like Edward Jones, you might earn 5% on that a year.  So, 250 bucks.   Well, 250 bucks a year over 30 years or so ends up being a nice little reward at the end of the tunnel.    You'll gain more than that though -- I'm just using an example to help you out.

A 2010/2020 investment would be putting in something that'd be high-risk, high-reward.   The year is basically when you'd "take out" your money.   You can lose money here, but you can also make a killing.    I haven't set up any investments yet because I'm paying down my debt while I'm in school (I'm fortunate) and recently was diagnosed with a kidney disease so I have some bills to pay -- but investing right now in the early 20's (before 25) will net you hundreds of thousands, if not millions if you just play things smart.    

If you ever need any advice in this area or want to talk about stuff like this, I'd like to think I have an inkling or two to share.

I am certainly no financial advisor, but a few points:

First off, I've never heard someone refer to an investment as "a 2040." Rather, I've heard of (and own, incidentally) retirement accounts that are named after the target year when you'd be retiring.

Second, your assessment of risk vs. time-frame is backwards. When you have an investment targeted for 30 years later, that can be much higher risk than something where you expect to use the money in 5 years. In the short term a high-risk investment is pretty much as likely to lose money as gain, but over the long term the ups and downs will average out to a net gain. So when you have enough time to wait out the downs you go for higher potential rewards, but if you aren't planning to wait as long then you go for the sure thing with a smaller reward.

Incidentally, this why it's a good idea to start your retirement account almost entirely stocks and gradually shift toward safer investments over time (retirement mutual funds do this automatically.)

Third, if you are wanting a super safe investment, who the fuck would want to tie up their money for 30 years for only a 5% return? Get a savings account. While some banks will offer you piddling returns, ING was offering 5% on savings accounts up until the markets started crashing this fall.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #41 on: 31 Dec 2008, 09:21 »

1. finish my portfolio
2. get into school
3. apply for student loans
4. get a new job(s)
5. Pierce my nipples
6. become a better artist
7. make some films
8. Graduate
9. have a kick ass prom regardless of anything
10. MOVEEEE!!!!
11. Get an apartment
12. Get a job
13. TRY NOT TO DIE IN BIG CITY
14. MAKE FRIENDS IN NEW CITY!
15. Get some confidence!
16. Read more
17. Use less (become more ecofriendly)
18. knit more
19. become a heartbreaker
20. ride my bicycle more

These must seem like pretty lame goals, but they are totally wrecking. I have way more but since y'all only have like.. three I feel lame.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Cicero

« Reply #42 on: 31 Dec 2008, 09:23 »

I am certainly no financial advisor, but a few points:

First off, I've never heard someone refer to an investment as "a 2040." Rather, I've heard of (and own, incidentally) retirement accounts that are named after the target year when you'd be retiring.

Well, that is what those funds are.   Investment funds.   My uncle works for Edward Jones.   I'm confident I'm in the right direction.

Second, your assessment of risk vs. time-frame is backwards.

I'm surprised my uncle has a job with Edward Jones then.   I'm pretty sure he knows what is up.  A 2040 is going to be more low-risk and low-reward as opposed to a 2010.   That is how it works.

Third, if you are wanting a super safe investment, who the fuck would want to tie up their money for 30 years for only a 5% return? Get a savings account. While some banks will offer you piddling returns, ING was offering 5% on savings accounts up until the markets started crashing this fall.

Was just making an example for whomever asked.  I believed it was Pen.   You can be my financial adviser though.   I expect big things.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #43 on: 31 Dec 2008, 09:25 »

5. Pierce my nipples

I approve of this message.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #44 on: 31 Dec 2008, 09:30 »

Not as fun as it sounds.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #45 on: 31 Dec 2008, 09:31 »

there's gotta be some on the board you've already done this too

I am too nice to break anyone's heart right now! I'm not a wilco song D:

5. Pierce my nipples

5. Pierce my nipples

Yeah! Finally someone does! o/
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #46 on: 31 Dec 2008, 09:33 »

5. Pierce my nipples
17. Use less (become more ecofriendly)
18. knit more
20. ride my bicycle more

You can break my heart any day.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #47 on: 31 Dec 2008, 09:45 »

I heard she broke your heart again
I heard she broke your heart
Well that girls
A heart breaker

edit. My other resolution is to listen to way more electro.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2008, 09:47 by McTaggart »
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #48 on: 31 Dec 2008, 09:56 »

1) WRITE MOAR (music and writing in general.)
2) Finish Infinite Jest.
3) Be awesome.

Oh yeah:

4) Finish my ProCo RAT clone.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2008, 10:01 by imapiratearg »

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #49 on: 31 Dec 2008, 09:58 »

Yeah! Finally someone does! o/