THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Dora as a blonde: Yay or Nay  (Read 58769 times)

jeanramone

• Not quite a lurker
  • The Holy Roman Empire rules for you.
Dora as a blonde: Yay or Nay
« on: 06 Jan 2009, 21:09 »

Should Dora be a blonde? Lets hear your thoughts.
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
Re: Dora as a blonde: Yay or Nay
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jan 2009, 21:15 »

I'd be willing to see her go blonde.  Though I don't care much for the two-tone look.

Sir Ralen

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #2 on: 06 Jan 2009, 21:15 »

I am satisfied either way.  Mr. Jacques would have to turn this into Chugworth Academy for me to stop reading (No offense to Mr. Cheung, but I take my cheesecake in magazine/video format, not webomic.)  A little thing like hair color is no big deal.

Maybe she'll get long blonde bombshell curls? I would be amused.
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2009, 21:17 by Sir Ralen »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jan 2009, 22:07 »

Yeah, I don't know why a person would care about the hair styling of a cartoon.

Boo on you, I like Chugsworth
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Sir Ralen

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #4 on: 06 Jan 2009, 22:24 »

Chugsworth has a cute art style, but it's very random and stuffed full of fanservice.  I don't mind necessarily, but it doesn't really hold my attention.

On another note: I just think it would be amusing to juxtapose Dora's personality with a very classically feminine hairstyle.  A big mane of curly hair would be cool, if totally out of character.  It takes a lot of work to keep big hair over the line of pretty/unkempt, and if Dora's mom is any indication she'd be sitting in front of the mirror a lot to keep it that way, but it'd be rad to see Mr. Jacques draw something like that.

Edit: On reviewing the archives, I guess Dora's mom already has some pretty good body going on with her hair.  Dora should totally pull a shampoo-commercial-model look.
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2009, 22:29 by Sir Ralen »

Ducklette

« Reply #5 on: 07 Jan 2009, 14:38 »

I think that Dora will be cute with blonde hair, and it's good that she won't be looking like Marten anymore...
Although that will make a lot of the main characters blonde, Hanners, Penelope and Dora as well now.

Siibillam-Law

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jan 2009, 17:21 »

I like her back in her natural hair colour. The two-tone thing reminds me of a sketch i saw on Jephdraw ages ago when her hair had this little tuft of blonde at the back
There is no sin except stupidity

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #7 on: 07 Jan 2009, 19:57 »

I hope you start calling everyone by their last name ralen. It would feed my ego.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

ThunderPower

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #8 on: 07 Jan 2009, 20:17 »

Dora looks fine as a blonde. I like the longer hair style. I say Yay.
I'm a Guitar Hero, how about you?

nursethalia

« Reply #9 on: 07 Jan 2009, 21:16 »

Ooh, is she growing out her natural hair? I like the new length on her, VERY cute.

VicDor

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #10 on: 08 Jan 2009, 01:03 »

Since I started reading QC, I opposed the idea of Dora being a blonde, on account that she has brown eyes. It's genetically im-freakin'-possible. Although, I do know this girl with a case of a pigment condition (or so she says), which turns her hair blond as if she bleaches it. Though it looks like she bleaches it. But I don't know why anyone would lie about bleaching their hair.
<Clever and funny quote>

roxanne

« Reply #11 on: 08 Jan 2009, 01:53 »

Since I started reading QC, I opposed the idea of Dora being a blonde, on account that she has brown eyes. It's genetically im-freakin'-possible. Although, I do know this girl with a case of a pigment condition (or so she says), which turns her hair blond as if she bleaches it. Though it looks like she bleaches it. But I don't know why anyone would lie about bleaching their hair.

You are wrong. It is possible to have blonde hair and brown eyes.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #12 on: 08 Jan 2009, 03:36 »

Hey VicDor, your face is genetically impossible.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

KamikaziCal

• Plantmonster
  • TEXT can go here?
« Reply #13 on: 08 Jan 2009, 03:44 »

I feel like this is as serious as the forum discussions should ever get.

michi-love

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #14 on: 08 Jan 2009, 08:30 »

I like seeing Dora as a blonde, even though the vast majority of the female characters are now going to be blonde...
I think Dora looks good that way.
It'll be nice when her hair's all grown out and the two-tone thing is gone.

sofiabailote

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #15 on: 08 Jan 2009, 11:13 »

... I opposed the idea of Dora being a blonde, on account that she has brown eyes. It's genetically im-freakin'-possible...

wow... does this mean both me and my sister are genetical impossibilities? That's amazing!

GreyGabe

• Plantmonster
  • Probably not dead.
« Reply #16 on: 08 Jan 2009, 11:14 »

PantsFTW must have been on the debate team in high school.

And am I the only one who sorta liked the two-tone hair? I guess I'm just weird, or something.

TMac91

« Reply #17 on: 08 Jan 2009, 11:30 »

No, you're not. I think it looks alright.
I find it hard to imagine Dora with solid-blonde hair.

ladydraykona

« Reply #18 on: 08 Jan 2009, 12:15 »

I don't have a problem with it blond, but I think by the point it's as long as it's been drawn now, she would have cut the black off. I mean, she's never even had roots showing, so she'd have to dye it pretty regularly. If she's growing it out to get rid of the color, it's long enough to chop it off and just be a short-haired blond.

I like that she won't look like Marten's sister. It was a little creepy everytime they were shown in bed together.

Persona

« Reply #19 on: 08 Jan 2009, 12:30 »

I'm intrigued by blond Dora. I honestly never pictured her blond. I'm sure she'll spice it up somehow though.

countdrunkula

« Reply #20 on: 08 Jan 2009, 15:15 »

I love her with black hair. I don't like the blonde at all.  :|

SexRaptor

« Reply #21 on: 08 Jan 2009, 16:02 »

Agreed.

Lilavati

« Reply #22 on: 08 Jan 2009, 18:32 »

WTF! Not only it IS genetically possible a brown-eyed blonde as it is quite common, unlike for example blue or green-eyed afro or asian people that  are also possible but a lot rarer.
As for the hair condition, that is also possible. Some types of hair are quite sensitive to sun exposure or sea / pool water and end up naturally bleached. Often the effect is uneven as if the person only bleached some meches or only tip of the hair.

As for Dora´s hair, loved the two tone style. It remembers me when I started to grow my hair back to normal color except the other way round (from blonde back to brown). At the first few months it looked awful to the point I got bullied for it, but then when it reached about the ratio in Dora's hair at the comic it was awesome.

I just hope she doesn´t go for more lenght, I feel it just wouldn't match her.
I also think that when it gets all blond she will spice it up with some color effect, something more subtle than Raven's, maybe some red meches. Firey hair, that would be nice... :mrgreen:

Mabus_Zero

• Plantmonster
  • A Monk/Mr. Clean Hybrid
« Reply #23 on: 08 Jan 2009, 19:24 »

I can dig the blone. I would also be able to dig her returning to black, so long as it is accompanied by a statement of, 'I remember why I dyed it black in the first place', or something like that.
'One guard tells only the truth, one only tells lies, and the other stabs people that ask tricky questions.'

jdrobertson

« Reply #24 on: 08 Jan 2009, 20:35 »

I'll admit the two tone thing is a bit distracting. Its like my eyes just keep focusing on the hair while I'm reading the comic. Maybe its just because I'm not used to it.

Zingoleb

« Reply #25 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:00 »

My hair bleaches out in sunlight.

Of course, I'm not sure anymore, I avoid sunlight at all costs.

frullic

• Furry furrier
  • Warning: Contents under parental pressure.
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #26 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:07 »

I like darker hair but I'm not a hair-cist like some...
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

burlesquedame

« Reply #27 on: 08 Jan 2009, 23:02 »

I thought it was Raven trying a new color at first, then read the dialog and realized, "Duh, Dora's growing her hair out!"  I wonder if Dora will experiment with another color later...

Shadowood

« Reply #28 on: 09 Jan 2009, 01:07 »

A lot of people seem to have had trouble recognizing it as Dora at first, actually. I can see why, though I didn't have that problem at all.

I like it, personally. It suits her character very well. I dislike the black in the bangs, though [somehow those seem like they should be fully blonde] and I don't like how scraggly it is, though it gets less so each panel.

VicDor

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #29 on: 09 Jan 2009, 01:31 »

Wow, only one post and people are already after my head.
Ok, maybe I exaggerated about the genetic impossibility, sorry if I enraged someone over the Internet, especially knowing what serious business it is. It's just that it's not much of a common thing - blond hair with brown eyes. The other way around however, is more common. Black people and Asians with gray eyes are rarer than Europeans with the same, but there's a lot of them I assure you.
I just figure people's eye color depends on hair and skin color, because for example brown eyes are brown because of melanin. So it's more likely for an Asian or African to have brown eyes rather than gray. (Note: I call green, blue and other similar eye colors gray, because they all look gray in certain lighting.)

But anyway, back to comic discussion, it's nice that Dora grows her natural color out. I think dying your hair is like putting colored lenses on or like changing your name - you're just trying to escape who you really are. But it's gonna be hard to get used to after 1300 strips of black-haired Dora.
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2009, 02:53 by VicDor »
<Clever and funny quote>

Lyrical M

« Reply #30 on: 11 Jan 2009, 07:22 »

Ok. Dora looks totally hot with her new hair, But i do not think that she should be completely blond. That would just be completely weird and not to mention awkward with everyone.

michi-love

« Reply #31 on: 11 Jan 2009, 08:01 »

Dora really does need to do something to keep herself that little bit of something special - especially with all the other blondes - once it all does grow out. Her style is unique, sure, but I can definitely see her doing tips in some color... sort of like how Raven distinguished herself with that pink, except obviously Dora wouldn't go that direction.

Lyrical M

« Reply #32 on: 11 Jan 2009, 08:33 »

Although i can see Dora getting a new hair style, Faye is the one that needs to change her hair. It looks as though she has not changed it in a few months, i change mine every couple of weeks, when i get my hair cut. :P
But Raven has distinguished herself with the pink/purple highlights hasn't she. I hope that she keeps them.

VicDor

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #33 on: 11 Jan 2009, 14:27 »

I vote Faye should shave her head.
<Clever and funny quote>

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
« Reply #34 on: 13 Jan 2009, 05:32 »

Streaks, that would look sexy.
Help bring back the dragons!

JonSnow

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #35 on: 13 Jan 2009, 06:34 »

I vote Faye should shave her head.

I second that

Sir Ralen

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #36 on: 13 Jan 2009, 20:57 »

I hope you start calling everyone by their last name ralen. It would feed my ego.

Tell me your last name and I'll start calling you by it!
Mr. Jacques is a professional artist, and I am a fan of his work.  He deserves a little titular respect.

...fine

Lol. I said tit!
I turnz teh srsns down a notch kthx.

tatte

« Reply #37 on: 13 Jan 2009, 23:57 »

I'm not sure what she'll look like as a full blonde, but i LOVE her two tone hair. everyone seems to hate it, but i think it's a nice balance. plus then she different from hanners and penelope.

TheDozarian

• Emoticontraindication
  • I am Dozer the Dozarian... bring me marshmelons...
    • I'm old but I have a myspace...
« Reply #38 on: 14 Jan 2009, 06:25 »

I'd be willing to see her go blonde.  Though I don't care much for the two-tone look.

I have to agree... Not a big fan of the two tone look...
It is what it is... But if I kill it, then is is dead?  So if dead is is, is it dead?

dunnright

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://dunn.forreverie.com
« Reply #39 on: 14 Jan 2009, 08:09 »

I really don't like the current look. Every day I log in and go "Oh yeah, I don't like it."

soz. Here's a kitteh!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3021/2568830904_33b9988de5.jpg?v=0

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #40 on: 14 Jan 2009, 11:16 »

soz. Here's a kitteh!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3021/2568830904_33b9988de5.jpg?v=0

Awwww...*melts*  Abee Ceede Beebe...*babbles more incoherent baby-kittyspeak*

Er, I mean...uh...*ahem*

Yeah, I like Dora as a blonde.  In fact, it occurs to me even as I go through the archives once again that you know what?  Not only is Dora good for Marten, but I think Marten is good for Dora.

And the blonde hair is Dora, becoming more herself, with Marten.  Has this happened with her and anyone else before?  Dunno.

But I see it as a good thing.

S
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

kgbisouttogetme

• Murder is only bad if you kill baby seals.
« Reply #41 on: 14 Jan 2009, 11:25 »

normally i prefer to avoid perversion.... but carpet and drapes?
Jesus probably was hung like a horse. Wouldn't it be pathetic it he weren't? haha Jesus boner.

thaX

• Plantmonster
« Reply #42 on: 14 Jan 2009, 13:28 »

I love the new style. Hope she is drawn this way for a while before it is completely grown out.

In my mind, it was needed. I kept confusing Dora with other characters for a bit when the new lines had been experimented with, before J got his grove going.

valiantninja

• Not quite a lurker
  • You has a terrible flavor!
« Reply #43 on: 14 Jan 2009, 19:04 »

I agree with thaX, I hope her new style stays for a while. Also, good point about the carpet and drapes. I will ponder...  :wink:

(My friend says she reminds him of a badger.  :-P)

Jeff7

• Furry furrier
« Reply #44 on: 14 Jan 2009, 19:06 »

She just needs to get it cut in the front so we can see her eyebrows. In a webcomic, they're kind of important for showing a character's full expression.

improbability driver

« Reply #45 on: 14 Jan 2009, 19:27 »

I think she'd look better once she has the black fully grown out, but I don't really mind the two-tone so much. It's the cut that bothers me - it's so messed up and the bottoms look stringy, which the black doesn't help. It just looks dirty, mostly. The last panel of today's strip was the first time I really thought it looked good.

kaitco

• Emoticontraindication
    • DorienneSmith.com
« Reply #46 on: 14 Jan 2009, 20:51 »

It took me a little while to grow accustomed to Dora's two-toned look, but a few strips later, I like it a lot. I am still pulled when it comes to one colour or the other, though. I think she would make a good blonde, but I am not sure I like three out of five of our main girls being blonde. It would feel like the balance of "power" were being shifted or something.

Jack Faros

• Plantmonster
« Reply #47 on: 14 Jan 2009, 21:35 »

Honestly, I don't like it.  To be fair though, I'm slightly biased, since I have depressing memories of a girl with black/blond hair.  I probably wouldn't have such an issue if it was one way or the other, but the two tone thing's gotta go.

TheDozarian

• Emoticontraindication
  • I am Dozer the Dozarian... bring me marshmelons...
    • I'm old but I have a myspace...
« Reply #48 on: 15 Jan 2009, 06:17 »

I don't know... I kind of like the straight black hair...  Not a big fan of the two-tone look... Maybe it'll grow on me...
It is what it is... But if I kill it, then is is dead?  So if dead is is, is it dead?

-Karamazov-

« Reply #49 on: 15 Jan 2009, 08:30 »

I've never liked the two tone look.  I understand the need to grow out your hair first though to go back to your original color, I just hate the look of the transition period.  Its always looked trashy to me, regardless of gender.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up