THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 07:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: That was not my cow!  (Read 7989 times)

Alyxz

That was not my cow!
« on: 07 Jan 2009, 19:11 »

Win for inserting a Foul Ol' Ron reference into the comic.

(and another belated one for the Jack Shaftoe a few months ago...never bothered to mention it till now).

Eddurd

• Plantmonster
  • Over 25 years of drawing like crap!
    • "Everyday Heroes" comic
Re: That was not my cow!
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jan 2009, 20:36 »

When not delirious and unconscious, isn't Hanners more like Ponder Stibbons?

Faye, Dora, and Raven would be Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat ... would that make Penelope the Agnes/Perdita of the group?

Pintsize and Winslow = Nobby and Colon
Roomba (boop beep) = Librarian (ook eek)
I wouldn't want to belong to any organization that would accept someone like me as a member.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jan 2009, 21:10 »

Oh dear lord! They are Nobby and Colon!

Wait... does that make Marten Vimes? And who is Vetinari? the Makeout Hobo?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Professr

« Reply #3 on: 07 Jan 2009, 22:12 »

I'd say Sven would be Carrot.

TheNovak

« Reply #4 on: 07 Jan 2009, 23:20 »

Buggrit!

(And Sven as Carrot?  I'm only up to The Lost Continent, but unless Carrot takes a major turn towards womanizing and smartassery, that doesn't seem like a fit at all.)

((Also, uh.  Heya.))

butiliketacos

« Reply #5 on: 08 Jan 2009, 00:51 »

Personally, I think Vetinari gets a gender switch for QC.  I picture... Veronica Vance.  Her little conversation with Faye on the dinner date sealed that one for me.  I just have problems associating Raven with Magrat...  Naive perhaps, but Maiden:-o   But I do worry for Hanners.  Anything that makes you mumble like Foul Ole Ron... Oh dear, you don't think she read about the Smell of Foul Ole Ron, do you?  She could be on her way to a full out breakdown!

Well, that's my two cents, and I expect change back.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #6 on: 08 Jan 2009, 03:24 »

Love the reference.

If Hannelore's Foul Old Ron, who's the Duck Man?

Faye as Angua?

Also, "Curse my puny indie-rock physique!" is brilliant.
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

Fealuinix

« Reply #7 on: 08 Jan 2009, 05:30 »

Bugg'rit!  Millennium hand and shrimp!

Faye as Angua would only seem to reinforce the idea of Sven as Carrot, which I'm just not seeing.

Pintsize as Nobby, though...I think you're onto something.

Siibillam-Law

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #8 on: 08 Jan 2009, 05:52 »

So many people got to the post before i did. Buggrit.

There is no sin except stupidity

sweussduece

« Reply #9 on: 08 Jan 2009, 07:28 »

Great reference.

I see Wil as Death from the series - He's clever, but doesn't quite get people.

And Faye is clearly Susan St Helit. They both have a vicious wit and are determined to stand apart from people.

zedekiel

« Reply #10 on: 08 Jan 2009, 09:29 »

Sven is Moist von Lipwig and Faye is Adora Belle Dearhart, minus the smoking of course.

Elays

« Reply #11 on: 08 Jan 2009, 11:45 »

Phillistines!  Your poor transition analysis has driven to register on this forum and post my outrage!  Clearly the Witches are as follows:

Faye as Granny Weatherwax
Yes, Faye as The Crone.  Perhaps the most tenuous of connections, but there are a few things going for this argument.  Primarily the disconnect felt by both characters.  Particularly in Carpe Jugulum, Granny Weatherwax feels unneeded in the witches' trio.  Faye feels somewhat disconnected from her friends at times.  Both characters conceal emotional issues.  And let's face it, both characters are smart-ass and grumpy.

Raven as Nanny Ogg
Though Raven is the youngest of the Doom Coffee Crew, I think she fits Nanny to a T.  First and foremost, both characters are notoriously promiscuous, though Nanny Ogg's promiscuity is a bit more....productive than Raven's.  Also, both characters are possessed of a simple, zen optimism about life.  And finally, both characters have surprising moments of competence.  Midwifing for Nanny Ogg and interior decorating for Raven.

Dora as Queen Magrat
Again, primarily based on Carpe Jugulum (which is one of my favorites), I think that this comparison is apt.  Both characters find themselves relatively newly connected (married for Magrat, relationship for Dora) and aren't quite sure about the status of that relationship and where it fits in with their self-image and peer relationships (though Dora has gotten over much of this recently).  Also, as Dora is nominally "the boss" and Magrat is nominally "the queen", both characters end up taking orders from the somewhat more bossy Faye/Weatherwax and more convivial Raven/Nanny Ogg.

Penelope as Agnes/Perdita
Eddurd definitely got this one right.  Agnes didn't want to be a witch and Penelope didn't want to work at coffee of doom, but both are shanghaied into the job by bossy "elders".

I could also see a minor connection with Mightily Oats as Marten, since in the early QCs (I can't recall which comic precisely) I seem to recall moments of drunken Faye leaning on Marten and making a very similar excuse to Granny "giving Oats permission to lean on her"

ladydraykona

« Reply #12 on: 08 Jan 2009, 12:08 »

Yay for Sir Pterry being referenced.

I'm sorry, there is simply NO WAY Sven is Carrot. Sven could be Albert, maybe. Hannelore is like Ponder Stibbons most of the time. And I can see where Faye would be Angua - not expecting people to trust her and surprised when they go so far as to like her, with a bit of a changing personality depending on the moon. Marten is most like Carrot.

Helixdaunting

« Reply #13 on: 08 Jan 2009, 13:53 »

I always thought if Sven was going to be a discworld character, he'd be Greebo in human form. Both of them are able to commit sexual harrassment by sitting very quietly in the next room.  :wink:

Neskah

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #14 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:08 »

YAY For the Pratchett reference. Jeph proves yet again how cool I think he is (erm...)

Fail for the Character comparison. Why can't you just let each character stand out on their own (QC and Disc World respectively)

QC Rocks. Discworld Rocks. They don't need to hold each others hands while going to the bathroom. They do not, totally need to be twins.

Seriously Angua = Faye? Because she's the only non geriatric female people remember?

What about Adora, Salacia, Sacharrisa, Polly... or even Gladys? (Okay, I admit Gladys is going a little too far =D)

Okies. I will cease critiquing ppl for drawing comparrisions (As the reason I stopped coming to the forums was, it seemed all people did was tear down one another) and return to whoo hooing the Pratchetts References.

Who hoo. Whoo Hoo! Whoot!
One of the most basic rules for survival is never upset someone wearing Black Leather - This is why PETA never throws paint on Hells Angels.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #15 on: 09 Jan 2009, 09:06 »

Fail for the Character comparison. Why can't you just let each character stand out on their own (QC and Disc World respectively)

QC Rocks. Discworld Rocks. They don't need to hold each others hands while going to the bathroom. They do not, totally need to be twins.

Just because it's amusing?
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

ladydraykona

« Reply #16 on: 09 Jan 2009, 11:37 »

Seriously Angua = Faye? Because she's the only non geriatric female people remember?

What about Adora, Salacia, Sacharrisa, Polly... or even Gladys? (Okay, I admit Gladys is going a little too far =D)

Esk, Perdita X, Cheery Littlebottom, Susan, The Toothfairy, Maledicta... I think people were mostly sticking to Angua because she's predominant in Ankh-Morpork and is more associated with Foul Ole Ron.

It's fun. Pointless, true, but fun. It's also pointless to have a bunch of people post pictures of themselves and go "look, I look like Dora/Hannelore/Faye/Marten/Pintsize". But still fun.

Siibillam-Law

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jan 2009, 18:26 »

Not enough males in QC and not enough females in DW.
Sven is Moist, but I can't see many other similarities

I like that Faye = Granny one. Suits her to a tee
There is no sin except stupidity

SmileyBandit

« Reply #18 on: 15 Jan 2009, 20:43 »

HA! Sven is Moist. Love it.

Wil is most definitely Leonard of Quirm. His creations (poetry), although entirely peaceful and practical in his own head, are massive weapons of DOOM!

And Vetinari getting a gender switch is correct, but he is clearly Hannermum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up