THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Iron Man 2  (Read 68627 times)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
Re: Iron Man 2
« Reply #50 on: 12 Jan 2009, 21:15 »

One of my favorite quotes of all time: "Man, Stark's got a shitty rogue's gallery. Captain America, a bad ticker and alchohol, that's it." Sometimes, I think the only thing I like about that Civil War arc was all the Tony Stark jokes that got dragged out of the woodwork for it. Personally, I rather like some of Stark's villains, but then, Iron Man and Batman are my favorite super heroes, so I'm biased.

Anyway, I think the problem with most super hero villains is that too many of them are defined mostly by their abilities or are otherwise narrow characters. The Joker can get away with this because his only real shtick these days is being completely fuckin' insane, and there's a lot a writer can do with a balls-out sociopath. The Joker sucked for a few decades but a few decent writers playing up his creepy-as-hell potential brought things up to speed quite quickly.

Whereas Spider-man has villains like Rhino, who is basically just your average thug with a rhino suit. Take away his super strength and he goes from crashing the Hulk's wedding to breaking knee caps for the local bookie. Not exactly a dynamic character.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2009, 21:46 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #51 on: 12 Jan 2009, 21:26 »

Because man, alcoholism is so attractive and enviable!

*Swoon*
Anyone who can build a super mecha suit with limited supplies is someone to be envied.  Besides, the alcoholism was barely present in the movie.

Are you kidding? You saw his glass of whiskey before you saw him in the first scene, and he was drinking basically constantly throughout the film. They set it up quietly in the first one because they wanted to make it a bigger deal in the second, as far as scuttlebutt I've read goes.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #52 on: 13 Jan 2009, 11:21 »

Actually the traditional superhero movie show-down with the big bad tough guy at the end of Iron Man was by some margin the weakest and least interesting part of the whole film. If they want to make Iron Man 2 as enjoyable as the first movie was they'll be smart and realise that the audience has seen the superhero/supervillain show-down again, and again, and again, and is well and truly over it.

At least, I am.

agreed completely. easily the weakest part of the entire movie; partially because it's a cliche but also because they paced the whole thing all wrong. it's like the entire movie is just Tony Stark partying and doing the occasional badass robot-man stuff and then out of nowhere it's like "okay, here the big bad boss fight with the villain who barely had any screen time and we never really properly introduced as a real villain anyway. oh yeah and he has a giant robot suit too! wham!"

lame.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #53 on: 13 Jan 2009, 11:53 »

Oddly enough, that's also how I felt about the Norton/Roth showdown at the end of the latest Hulk movie.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #54 on: 13 Jan 2009, 11:59 »

huh i pretty much feel exactly the opposite way about The Incredible Hulk.

it's actually the movie i use as an example when explaining my problems with Iron Man to people.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

TheDozarian

• Emoticontraindication
  • I am Dozer the Dozarian... bring me marshmelons...
    • I'm old but I have a myspace...
« Reply #55 on: 14 Jan 2009, 08:21 »

I was looking forward to seeing Terence Howard in the sequel too, but Don Cheadle is an excellent replacement, hell they could have gone for Eddie Murphy at the end of the day!

Apparently part of the difficulty over him coming back is because he was the highest paid actor in Iron Man, (he signed on before Downey Jnr.), and he wasn't prepared to take a cut for the sequel.

While I didn't care for Howard as Rhodie, I don't think Cheadle is the right guy either.  The whole, "I'm a punk and won't take a pay cut" was really ridiculous.  In the comics, Rhodes was a real man's man.  He wasn't slick or smooth like Howard can be.  He wasn't soft-spoken.  He was a tough, grizzled character.  Stereotyped, maybe.  But that's what it was.  I don't really know who I'd pick to play the role...  There are tougher, better black actors who could have played the part. 

Thing is, I'm a huge War Machine fan.  I have most of the B&W Max line of the Warmachine series.  Seeing Rhodey put on the armor was something I was waiting to see...  But we'll see... I'll give Cheadle a shot.  Maybe he can change my attitude...  Who knows...
It is what it is... But if I kill it, then is is dead?  So if dead is is, is it dead?

atimholt

• Emoticontraindication
  • How am I supposed to fit my paradigm into this sma
« Reply #56 on: 16 Feb 2009, 01:38 »

This comment on the article linked to in the opening post of this thread made me laugh a bunch:
the ending of this film is going to be amazing!
imagine 4 Iron Men flying around blowing shit up and looking shinny!!!! AWWWWWWWW YEAH!!!!
So... stuff.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #57 on: 16 Feb 2009, 09:45 »

I'll go see it.  I like the new comic movies.  Beats the hell out of the treatment they got in the 80's.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

atimholt

• Emoticontraindication
  • How am I supposed to fit my paradigm into this sma
« Reply #58 on: 16 Feb 2009, 10:28 »

Actually, you know what really gets me is how surprised Hollywood always is when someone specifically makes a good movie in a genre that hasn't been doing well because directors/producers up to that point have specifically chosen to make bad movies*. They then decide that that genre's time has come, and they make a melange of both really good and absolutely horrible movies.

*They started making the Batman movies campy on purpose. Or so I have read.
So... stuff.

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #59 on: 13 Mar 2009, 10:08 »

So, it was recently confirmed that Mickey Rourke dropped out of Iron Man 2, citing low salary offer.

Yesterday, however, he signed on the dotted line. Things have apparently been worked out. Reportedly, he's playing Whiplash, rather than Crimson Dynamo. While I'm more interested in the latter, the former is a lot less redundant. Many pointed out, and rightly so, that Crimson Dynamo and Iron Monger in back to back movies might be a bit repetitive.

But wait! There's more! Rourke isn't alone. Apparently, Scarlett Johansson has signed on as well, playing Black Widow.

Minor details here.

In related, but wholly shitty news, all three subsequent Marvel movies have been delayed. Iron Man 2 is still on target for next year, but Captain America, Avengers and Thor have all been delayed. Thor was pushed back a year to 2011, followed a month later by Captain America. Avengers will follow a year later in 2012. No news on why for Thor and Avengers, but Captain America was pushed back a few months as Sony have confirmed Spider-Man 4 for May of 2011, which would have conflicted with Cap.

Details.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #60 on: 13 Mar 2009, 10:50 »

Now that Mickey Rourke is an Oscar winner, he can command much higher salaries.  Or is it "demand" much higher salaries?

Whatever, I always thought it was a stupid practice, though I guess I understand how and why it works.  I personally don't care whether or not someone has won an Oscar.  I will see the movie if I think it's worth it, and the number of awards won by the cast has nothing to do with it.

Also, that's disappointing that the other Avengers movies are being delayed.

Also, that's disappointing that yet another Spider-Man movie is being made at all.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #61 on: 13 Mar 2009, 13:05 »

Sony probably realise that after their licence for the franchise runs out, Marvel will not be renewing it because they have their own studio and will probably just be rebooting this shit out of it in a similar situation to Hulk/The Incredible Hulk. From what I understand, Sony have three more Spiderman films in mind, Sam Raimi is probably not going to direct but the cast will probably be the same. The only upside is that they're going to introduce The Lizard.

I hope it works out.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #62 on: 13 Mar 2009, 14:12 »

Now that Mickey Rourke is an Oscar winner, he can command much higher salaries.  Or is it "demand" much higher salaries?
heh

I was reading a liveblog of the Oscars and someone commented as the winner was announced that "Mickey Rourke just got affordable for Iron Man 2".

The movie delay I honestly expected, and not just because of the recession.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #63 on: 13 Mar 2009, 17:04 »

Oops.  Shows how much I know.  Rourke didn't win, did he?

But he's "Oscar-nominated" and thus still more bankable than he was only six months ago, when he was just some has-been.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #64 on: 13 Mar 2009, 17:11 »

Scarlett Johansson

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sony have confirmed Spider-Man 4.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo!
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #65 on: 14 Mar 2009, 11:41 »

Rourke did get tons of press, however, and won virtually every other major 'Best Acting' award. That doesn't mean he deserves more money per se but it does mean that a studio will be willing to give him more money if he insists upon it (within reason) because his name is now a selling point that could draw in an audience that would not have been enticed otherwise. His merit has nothing to do with it, to be honest. It's all about commodifiying his name and using that to make money for the studio. If that means a salary bump, so be it. The increase in ticket sales will reimburse them ten fold.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #66 on: 15 Mar 2009, 10:14 »

Penn only won 'cos of the Homosexual Agenda
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #67 on: 15 Mar 2009, 10:40 »

Umm...

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #68 on: 15 Mar 2009, 10:58 »

I think he meant the homogay agenda
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #69 on: 15 Mar 2009, 18:30 »

I'm pretty sure this is the homosexual agenda he was talking about.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #70 on: 17 Mar 2009, 05:06 »

The Homosexual Agenda is the name of the new Iron Man villain you guys

Stupid Human

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #71 on: 17 Mar 2009, 10:18 »

So, it was recently confirmed that Mickey Rourke dropped out of Iron Man 2, citing low salary offer.

Yesterday, however, he signed on the dotted line. Things have apparently been worked out. Reportedly, he's playing Whiplash, rather than Crimson Dynamo. While I'm more interested in the latter, the former is a lot less redundant. Many pointed out, and rightly so, that Crimson Dynamo and Iron Monger in back to back movies might be a bit repetitive.

But wait! There's more! Rourke isn't alone. Apparently, Scarlett Johansson has signed on as well, playing Black Widow.

Minor details here.

In related, but wholly shitty news, all three subsequent Marvel movies have been delayed. Iron Man 2 is still on target for next year, but Captain America, Avengers and Thor have all been delayed. Thor was pushed back a year to 2011, followed a month later by Captain America. Avengers will follow a year later in 2012. No news on why for Thor and Avengers, but Captain America was pushed back a few months as Sony have confirmed Spider-Man 4 for May of 2011, which would have conflicted with Cap.

Details.

This is promising news.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #72 on: 19 Mar 2009, 04:06 »

All I think needs improving for the next Iron Man film is the climactic battle, which, by movie standards, was still pretty fuckin' awesome but in comparison to the rest of film, defeating Iron Monger by a reactor overload caused by a panicked secretary in heels was pretty too damn simple. (And it seemed fairly obvious that Stane's targeting system had been ripped out, without having to tell us "You ripped out my targeting system thurr" - That probably felt like the only kink in the otherwise godly dialogue.)

Warning - the above contained spoilers. Oops, I guess I should have told you earlier.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #73 on: 19 Mar 2009, 09:34 »

I didn't have a huge problem with that line ("You ripped out my targeting system!") because it was in character, and it was like the follow-up to one of my favorite lines. 

When Stark manages to get behind Stane, he says "This looks important" as he rips out some cables.  For some reason, that cracks me up, the way he says and does it.  When Stane gives us the follow-up line, he tells us what Stark did, but I didn't take it as pandering to the audience because Stane was a blustering egomaniac and tended to state the obvious anyway.  "You stepped on my toe!" or "You did something different with your hair!" would have sounded just as genuine coming from him.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #74 on: 19 Mar 2009, 14:42 »

All I think needs improving for the next Iron Man film is the climactic battle, which, by movie standards, was still pretty fuckin' awesome but in comparison to the rest of film, defeating Iron Monger by a reactor overload caused by a panicked secretary in heels was pretty too damn simple. (And it seemed fairly obvious that Stane's targeting system had been ripped out, without having to tell us "You ripped out my targeting system thurr" - That probably felt like the only kink in the otherwise godly dialogue.)

Warning - the above contained spoilers. Oops, I guess I should have told you earlier.

You know, it occurs to me that if you had left it unlabeled, no one would've noticed or cared because everyone's seen Iron Man.

But because you did that, now I think you're just an asshole because you're not on a fucking typewriter you can actually go back an label it, what the fuck is wrong with you?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

el_loco_avs

• Furry furrier
« Reply #75 on: 20 Mar 2009, 03:23 »

You know, it occurs to me that if you had left it unlabeled, no one would've noticed or cared because everyone's seen Iron Man.

But because you did that, now I think you're just an asshole because you're not on a fucking typewriter you can actually go back an label it, what the fuck is wrong with you?

I was thinking something among the same lines. It's not that hard to put spoilers in the proper place. Pointing out and saying haha! i didn't spoiler is just... childish.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #76 on: 20 Mar 2009, 06:55 »

Finejeez. Yell at me for being childish. I'm going to go and stop quoting Uncyclopedia now, because clearly y'all can't just chillax over a few sentences.  =P

On a sidenote to the real discussion, I did think that "Hold still, you little prick" was kinda cool. Stane in the movie made a pretty nice transition between partner-in-ownership to wannabe-usurper, or as one of my friends summarised it, "Super Mega Crazy Corporate Creed Hyper Battle Fantastic!!!!"
Johansson as Black Widow is believable. So long as they don't go too Hollywood-heavy on the Russian accent.

Thiefree

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • mostly gone
    • Thiefree.net
« Reply #77 on: 20 Mar 2009, 15:37 »

I'll be honest here, I know very little about the comics. In fact all I knew about Iron Man before the movie was that he sometimes helped the X-men in the cartoons.

HOWEVER, the movie was that pants-wettingly exciting that I will watch and enjoy the sequel as long as there's lots of FLYING, FUCK YES.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #78 on: 20 Mar 2009, 15:57 »

BULKSHIT!

Iron Man never once appeared in the X-Men cartoon nor vice versa.

He did cameo in that shit awful 90's Spider-Man cartoon, though, with War Machine in tow.
JON MADE ME GAY

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #79 on: 20 Mar 2009, 17:09 »

BULKSHIT!

I find that typo incomprehensibly amusing.  I'm picturing a hippy on the can while eating a big bowl of oatmeal.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #80 on: 20 Mar 2009, 19:37 »

That wasn't a typo.
JON MADE ME GAY

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #81 on: 20 Mar 2009, 21:41 »

Then I enjoy it even more.

Thiefree

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • mostly gone
    • Thiefree.net
« Reply #82 on: 21 Mar 2009, 06:43 »

BULKSHIT!

Iron Man never once appeared in the X-Men cartoon nor vice versa.

He did cameo in that shit awful 90's Spider-Man cartoon, though, with War Machine in tow.

My apologies, memory failing me in my old age I guess!

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #83 on: 10 Jun 2009, 12:28 »

Mickey Rourke as Whiplash

From Gizmondo

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #84 on: 10 Jun 2009, 12:50 »

That's...horrifying.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #85 on: 10 Jun 2009, 13:18 »

Makes me think of Thunderdome.

TWO MECHANIZED MEN ENTER, ONE LEAVES!
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

knives

• Furry furrier
« Reply #86 on: 10 Jun 2009, 15:08 »

Danny Trejo's taking Steroids?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #87 on: 10 Jun 2009, 16:13 »

So, like, are those supposed to be attachments for his whips or did he get in an accident and needed some arm braces?
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #88 on: 17 Dec 2009, 19:16 »

So, like, are those supposed to be attachments for his whips or did he get in an accident and needed some arm braces?

Maybe they make him go faster... or something.

Hell this is a little disturbing.

UPDATE: The trailer has me unreasonably happy for some reason, but I guess it's because War Machine is so badass:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/ironman/

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #89 on: 17 Dec 2009, 19:18 »

I came.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #90 on: 17 Dec 2009, 19:54 »

Oh yes oh yes oh yes oh fuck yes.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #91 on: 17 Dec 2009, 20:21 »

Daaaaaaaaamn.

FIXDIX

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #92 on: 17 Dec 2009, 20:41 »

Does anyone know what Marvel cross-over/cameo they're putting in this one?

Sure I could google, but, meh.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #93 on: 17 Dec 2009, 20:49 »

You mean aside from Nick Fury being in the trailer?

FIXDIX

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #94 on: 17 Dec 2009, 20:54 »

Yes.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #95 on: 18 Dec 2009, 08:45 »

Stan Lee.
Duh.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #96 on: 19 Dec 2009, 01:40 »

Joy of joys that looks fucking incredible, although I imagine much like #1 all of the best parts are going to be in the first half of the movie with Tony being a smartass and a playboy

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #97 on: 19 Dec 2009, 01:51 »

the part that made me go YESYESYESYES was the appearance of War Machine.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #98 on: 19 Dec 2009, 18:59 »

Oh man oh man Whiplash looks so badass.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #99 on: 19 Dec 2009, 20:22 »

The interesting part about the trailer was that Scarlett Johannson didn't say a single word in it, which is, I think, a good thing and a bad thing at the same time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up