THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Iron Man 2  (Read 68626 times)

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
Re: Iron Man 2
« Reply #100 on: 19 Dec 2009, 20:56 »

Man, Sam Rockwell was in it for all of like .5 seconds.  I really like the trailer, but it was such a cocktease.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #101 on: 19 Dec 2009, 21:05 »

People keep mentioning the extreme likelihood of bad accents littering this franchise, (I haven't watched the trailers yet myself, so no comment) and the more I think about it, comic book movies are the one venue in which I could not possibly care less, due to the fact that I have read too many of them. In my head, all comic books feature terrible, terrible accents. This probably has something to do with foreigners and minorities in particular being awarded especially ridiculous hairstyles and facial hair in comic books along with the simple fact that the comics I was exposed to first were all old 40s-50s war comics. Let's just say they weren't the most culturally sensitive.
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2009, 21:08 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #102 on: 19 Dec 2009, 22:22 »

Well if it helps, Whiplash (who from what I've come to understand is, for the film's purposes, the son of Crimson Dynamo and therefor Russian) has a pretty legit sounding accent. But that is probably because Mickey Rourke is a good actor. I have faith that Scarlett Johanssen will do fine because after the fine job they did in the first film I can't see Favreaux making a bunch of stupid mistakes with casting for the second film.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #103 on: 19 Dec 2009, 22:36 »

Like I said, I'd probably be fine with her sounding like Natasha from Rocky and Bullwinkle, only sexy.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #104 on: 19 Dec 2009, 23:41 »

Scarlett Johannson is a hilariously awful actress, but I doubt even she can ruin this movie.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #105 on: 19 Dec 2009, 23:44 »

Dang, someone did not like Lost in Translation.  Was it because you didn't hear what Murray whispered to Johannson at the end?  Did that make you feel left out?  That's OK.  It's OK to feel left out.  We won't judge you.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #106 on: 19 Dec 2009, 23:51 »

She wasn't exactly burning up the screen in The Spirit. Or The Prestige. Or The Island.

Pretty okay in Vicky Christina Barcelona, though.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #107 on: 19 Dec 2009, 23:54 »

I really only know her from magazine covers and Lost in Translation, which was a part that wasn't really hurt much by coming across as unsure of herself.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #108 on: 20 Dec 2009, 00:03 »

You should see Vicky Christina Barcelona man it was epic.  She was also quite good in Match Point.  The Spirit and The Island were just terrible movies, and I don't think can really be blamed on Scarlett.  Of this generation of starlets she seems one of the better ones -- especially when compared to say Megan Fox. 

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #109 on: 20 Dec 2009, 00:52 »

I was going to say that I'm interested to see her act because I thought I'd never seen her before but I've seen (and tolerated) The Spirit and The Prestige is one of my favourite movies ever. Maybe she is kind of forgettable?
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #110 on: 20 Dec 2009, 01:01 »

She wasn't really showcased in either of those movies.  Didn't you find the ending to The Prestige a little... much?

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #111 on: 20 Dec 2009, 01:06 »

No.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #112 on: 20 Dec 2009, 02:10 »

Hey guys, remember when Ghost World came out and everyone was like "Whoa Thora Birch, she's gonna be the next big thing for sure!" and everyone was also like "Scarlett who? Really, with two 't's in her first name? Okay yeah whatever, let's get back to talking about Thora Birch."

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #113 on: 20 Dec 2009, 06:55 »

She wasn't exactly burning up the screen in The Spirit. Or The Prestige. Or The Island.

The Spirit was really bad, The Prestige was barely about her, and the Island was really bad. There are much better films she has done, so I don't really think she's a bad actress. But really from the cast list of this movie, she's up there with some pretty fantastic actors, so I think she'll blend in well.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #114 on: 20 Dec 2009, 07:17 »

I intensely disliked Match Point, and her in it. Really though, you should check out Black Dahlia sometime, that's probably the crowning achievement of a terrible acting career.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #115 on: 20 Dec 2009, 07:46 »

Hey guys, remember when Ghost World came out and everyone was like "Whoa Thora Birch, she's gonna be the next big thing for sure!" and everyone was also like "Scarlett who? Really, with two 't's in her first name? Okay yeah whatever, let's get back to talking about Thora Birch."

I thought she was already a known quantity due to the child actress and American Beauty thing. At least, I don't remember it ever being like you described. Then again, I hardly talk to people about movies outside of here or watch tv, so maybe that's it.
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2009, 07:53 by Alex C »

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #116 on: 20 Dec 2009, 21:42 »

She wasn't in American Beauty
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #117 on: 20 Dec 2009, 22:54 »

Yes, Thora Birch was.

But really, the Dungeons & Dragons movie put her on the map for good.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #118 on: 21 Dec 2009, 16:56 »

ooh, yeah. Thought you meant Scarlett Johannson and was perplexed. I guess I kinda glossed right over the words "Thora Birch" in my mind
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #119 on: 23 Dec 2009, 06:21 »

Dang, someone did not like Lost in Translation.  Was it because you didn't hear what Murray whispered to Johannson at the end?  Did that make you feel left out?  That's OK.  It's OK to feel left out.  We won't judge you.

lol'd.

Lost in Translation was fun, but slow, and in the end I don't exactly know what they were trying to accomplish in the end.
I have to look into it further.

The Island was meh which was no fault of any of the actors.

The Spirit, well, I loved that movie only because everyone was so fucking bizarre and Scarlett was the smallest part of film because she was the one who talked the most rationally

But yeah she's not necessarily a poor actor. We'll just have to wait and see how she turns out in this one.

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #120 on: 23 Dec 2009, 07:23 »

Why Whiplash?? He looked like Omega Red at first so I'm still going to say he's Omega Red in my mind.

Theriandros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #121 on: 27 Jan 2010, 09:57 »

Unless those whips have impressive powers of bullet-stopping, this Whiplash looks like he could be taken down with a mini-gun thanks to all the exposed torso.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #122 on: 27 Jan 2010, 14:19 »

A) They confirmed that they basically combined Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo into one character.

2) That's just the first prototype version of his suit.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #123 on: 15 Mar 2010, 01:13 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #124 on: 15 Mar 2010, 11:01 »

It's weird how good Samuel Jackson is as Nick Fury.

I really kinda want to see an Avengers Movie.

ackblom12

« Reply #125 on: 15 Mar 2010, 11:06 »

It's already been greenlit. Also it helps a bit that the Ultimates version of Nick Fury was actually based on Sam Jackson.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #126 on: 15 Mar 2010, 11:26 »

I'm going to miss the original Nick Fury and all the Howlin' Commandos, but since Lee Marvin's a little too old to pull this off, Sammie should be OK to pick up the Torch.

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #127 on: 15 Mar 2010, 21:07 »

Let's not forget this little gem, now. Surely this great actor of the age could have made a return for the role of Nick Fury?

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #128 on: 16 Mar 2010, 06:08 »

There are a number of phrases running through my head at this moment.  None of them suitable for publication.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #129 on: 23 Mar 2010, 00:24 »

In non-Iron Man news, Chris Evans has been cast as Captain America, beating out... John Krasinski. I think it's a pretty good choice. He was the Human Torch in the awful Fantastic 4 movies, yes, but he was also probably the best thing in Sunshine.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #130 on: 23 Mar 2010, 00:49 »

Yes, the Fantastic 4 movies are awful, but he was a great Torch. I approve of this.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #131 on: 23 Mar 2010, 04:05 »

He and the guy playing Thing were the only "bright" spots in the first movie - and I refuse to watch the second on principle.

He's got the build and blonde hair to do Cap - now to see if he can pull off the acting.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #132 on: 23 Mar 2010, 09:59 »

yeah I have to agree I think he can pull it off and I like him as cap better than jim from the office.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #133 on: 12 Apr 2010, 12:47 »

In other news I have decided to watch this movie based solely on this picture.

« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2010, 06:27 by Caleb »

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #134 on: 12 Apr 2010, 16:09 »

You know a fucker must be cool if he's got a pet Cockatoo.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #135 on: 13 Apr 2010, 02:41 »

liking the extended trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM81xWzJAmg

The suitcase at the end

OH MY GOD THE SUITCASE

Also I believe that's a sulfur-crested cockatoo. Australian. Shit just got real.

Coward

• FIGHT YOU
  • Carries on, a wayward son.
« Reply #136 on: 13 Apr 2010, 04:14 »

What happened to the actor who was playing Stark's air force liason? Don Cheadle appears to have replaced him which, to be fair, isn't too bad a deal.
Quote from: Buckaroo Banzai
Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, 'cos, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #137 on: 13 Apr 2010, 05:33 »

Apparently because he was the first actor cast in the first film he got paid the most. For the sequel they wanted to pay Downey Jr. the most because he's got top billing but he wasn't having any of it and kicked up a big stink and refused to do it if he wasn't getting paid more than everyone. Cheadle was more reasonable about it. Also there was something about the director not liking the guy who played Rhodes in the first one because he was a prick and hard to work with.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #138 on: 13 Apr 2010, 14:46 »

Terrence Howard, while a decent enough actor, has a widespread reputation as a world-class douchebag / narcissist / neurotic. 'Round the internet he's gained the nickname "baby wipes" because he's on record as being disgusted by women who don't carry baby wipes with them to keep themselves as clean as possible at all times.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #139 on: 29 Apr 2010, 17:05 »

I went to see this on Wednesday. It was pretty cool! There was more action in it than the screen could hold, more futuristic technology than we could make in 100 years' time, and some delightful asshattery on behalf of Tony Stark. Of course, the villains are still able to exist given that anyone with a sack of bolts and a grudge can build an iron man suit. Then again, this is contrasted by the fact that at some point, Stark builds a freaking particle accelerator in his basement. (Pay attention during that scene, if you're going to see it.)

As for the main villain, I didn't hear the name 'whiplash' in any part of the movie. Even though those whips are cool weapons, they're more of a toy than anything else. The amount of havoc this guy wreaks when he's behind a keyboard dwarfs what he does with those whips. And whoever mentioned a horrible accent, he's got it. And it works for him.

I thought Scarlett Johansson did a good job on the cold-blooded secretary and badass secret agent type. Not smiling does good things as far as I'm concerned.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #140 on: 29 Apr 2010, 17:14 »

damn you, LTK.

damn you straight to heaven
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #141 on: 29 Apr 2010, 17:18 »

Stupid next week release while it's released world wide

Already heard of and seen some screens for the new secret ending.
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2010, 17:33 by Blue Kitty »

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #142 on: 29 Apr 2010, 17:30 »

This is one of the few films that we're getting a week ahead of the US. I'm going to go see it on Tuesday I think.

Suck it, Yanks.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #143 on: 30 Apr 2010, 00:52 »

Wait, what? Does that mean it is out here now? Because if it is and I didn't know I am gonna be so pissed.

also, how does that work? I mean, it was made in america, why is everywhere else getting it before them? The last one was at least released everywhere at the same time, wasn't it?

edit! oh holy shit it is playing at the cinema down the road tonight I have to go see it this weekend if not tonight
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2010, 00:56 by Eris »
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #144 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:11 »

Then again, this is contrasted by the fact that at some point, Stark builds a freaking particle accelerator in his basement.
Heh, one of my mom's best friends from high school built a particle accelerator as a science project back in the 70's. Got a MacArthur Genius Grant, if I recall correctly. Also gave his valedictorian speech in Latin and worked for an extended period at Los Alamos on a bionic eye. Wish I could meet the guy, but apparently my mom made an off-color joke to him a few years back and he's been less chatty since.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #145 on: 30 Apr 2010, 02:22 »

Pretty okay in Vicky Christina Barcelona, though.

Can I just point out that she was terrible enough in Vicky Christina Barcelona that the narration had to do a lot of the emoting for her? And The Prestige is solid, suck my DICK
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #146 on: 30 Apr 2010, 04:14 »

Stupid next week release while it's released world wide

Already heard of and seen some screens for the new secret ending.

You mean there was an after-credits ending? Aw man, I knew I should have sticked around until the credits rolled out, but the rest wouldn't wait for me.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
« Reply #147 on: 30 Apr 2010, 07:04 »

Just back from seeing the movie and man it was awsome. Loved everything about it. Though I think I've been left with a nagging feeling that I've missed something as I didn't see the clip from the trailer where Stark jumps from the plane after Potts thows his helmet out. Tell me there wasn't a part at the end after the trailers that I've missed....

Not that it matters if I have, as I'm going to see the movie again next week, though this time in all it's IMAX glory. I'll just sit and listen to AC/DC's Highway To Hell at the end credits for a little longer.

On another note, a soundtrack composed mainly of songs from AC/DC and The Clash. How could it possibly go wrong...?

She looked me over and I guess she thought I was all right...
All right in a sort of a limited way for an off night.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #148 on: 30 Apr 2010, 07:10 »

Wait, what? Does that mean it is out here now? Because if it is and I didn't know I am gonna be so pissed.

also, how does that work? I mean, it was made in america, why is everywhere else getting it before them? The last one was at least released everywhere at the same time, wasn't it?

edit! oh holy shit it is playing at the cinema down the road tonight I have to go see it this weekend if not tonight
Do people being nice to Australians scare you?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #149 on: 30 Apr 2010, 10:12 »

Though I think I've been left with a nagging feeling that I've missed something as I didn't see the clip from the trailer where Stark jumps from the plane after Potts thows his helmet out. Tell me there wasn't a part at the end after the trailers that I've missed....

Was there a scene of him simply jumping out of the back of the plane without the bit with Potts? I've seen at least one trailer like that; I suspected that they filmed multiple versions of that scene, and so maybe the one from the trailer isn't the one that made it into the movie.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up