THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iron Man 2  (Read 68629 times)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
Re: Iron Man 2
« Reply #200 on: 15 May 2010, 17:57 »

Personally, I'm not a fan of the alcoholism plotline either. But if you have to do it I think having War Machine in place would help the situation a bit simply because you could have things going on other than Tony Stark being incredibly depressed for a full two hours.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #201 on: 15 May 2010, 17:58 »

Or it'll be a movie where Cheadle gets to kick major ass. Yes.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #202 on: 15 May 2010, 19:11 »

I thought they were going to do it during this one, what with the toxicity level reader he had.  Of course they quickly killed that idea.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #203 on: 15 May 2010, 22:39 »

That's what I assumed at first, too.

Just got back from watching it, and I have to say that Mickey Rourke was one of the best parts of the movie. He managed to balance on that point where you were never sure if his character was about to kill someone. And I didn't think the accent was that bad, either. Maybe not quite as good as a natural first-language speaker, but not Boris Badenov by any stretch of the imagination. I think people just have gotten to the point where they are extremely skeptical of accents, like how Christian Bale has been described as having a terrible British accent, even though he was born in Wales and was using that Welsh accent.

I do have to say, however, that this is one of the first movies to give me so much nerd rage with the computer-related stuff.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #204 on: 16 May 2010, 00:03 »

I think the mid-'90s beat the nerd rage out of me on that topic. Those years when the AOL cds were still really making the rounds were dark times.

Nodaisho

« Reply #205 on: 16 May 2010, 00:11 »

The mid-90s? I was still playing Reader Rabbit and some other educational game with a mountain at that point. And tried playing King Quest... IV? I think, but I couldn't figure out what to do at first and kept dying no matter what I tried, so I gave up and uninstalled.

The "Try Russian" part just annoyed the hell out of me. Maybe it was intentional and they were trying to make Hammer seem completely incompetent, but he seemed to understand technology to the extent that the writers did for the most part.

The drones having terrible handling did make me wonder what sort of ping Predator drones get, it's probably classified. I bet it is worse than you would think, considering they are piloted from Nevada and Uncle Sam tends to pay the least it can get away with for anything.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #206 on: 16 May 2010, 00:21 »

Yeah, I considered that I'm a lot older than you as I posted, but regardless what I said still holds true. Go watch the movie Hackers sometime. It's a 1995 film about computer experts who cannot type.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2010, 00:28 by Alex C »

Alex C

• comeback tour!

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #208 on: 16 May 2010, 01:00 »

hackers fucking owned, dude. it was a whole bunch of ridiculous computer nonsense and then bam! angelina jolie's titties
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #209 on: 16 May 2010, 01:04 »

The latter was a plus but I wasn't big on anything else. For the most part I just don't really like ridiculous very much.

Nodaisho

« Reply #210 on: 16 May 2010, 01:38 »

At least these days most writers realize that at least some things aren't online. Although some things are that I wouldn't expect, like some security cameras.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #211 on: 16 May 2010, 04:21 »

The "Try Russian" part just annoyed the hell out of me.

I'm almost certain he was being sarcastic when he said that.

I will also just use this post to state my love for all things that contain Sam Rockwell.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #212 on: 16 May 2010, 13:40 »

do you dudes not remember pepper potts typing "translate" to get a video to play in english

whh
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Nodaisho

« Reply #213 on: 16 May 2010, 13:44 »

Nope. Must have missed that.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #214 on: 16 May 2010, 15:03 »

In a movie about a guy that flies around in a high tech robot battlesuit fighting people who are also wearing high tech robot battlesuits, you are complaining about someone being able to translate a video from Arabic to English? It's called suspension of disbelief!
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #215 on: 16 May 2010, 16:13 »

Its not like they're trying to fool you into thinking anything that stark does is possible in this day and age, or ever. Try building a particle accelerator in your basement with a hammer and some nails. Little things like a program that instantly translates things from another language into English (with the same actor's voice no less) are minor grievances at best.

Also on the subject of this one being disappointing, I just didn't get that. It may not have that level of newness that comes from watching the first film in a series, but I liked it probably just as much, or close to as much, as the first.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #216 on: 16 May 2010, 16:53 »

Same here. I really liked it, but the first one had the added bonus of exceeding my expectations, because so many of the super hero movies I have seen were pretty mediocre. Iron Man 2 what pretty great, but i was expecting it to be awesome, so it wasn't really a surprise.

I was a bit disappointed about the last fight with whiplash being pretty short, but after talking to est about it he gave me a different perspective and it makes a bit more sense. He saw it that they needed both Iron Man and War Machine to defeat the bad guy, so it was supposed to be more about setting up that War Machine will be sticking around in the next movie. Also, with all the drones being dealt with just before that I was getting a bit bored of all that, so while I would have liked to see more of Whiplash and his whips, Iron Man and War Machine fighting bad guys over and over and over was getting a little stale.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #217 on: 16 May 2010, 21:13 »

I feel the same way. If the fight with the drones had been a bit shorter to allow more time with Whiplash, it would have been great. But as is, it was still a fun movie. I had just as good of a time watching it as I did the first and I thought all the new characters/actors were a great addition. Also I think it was a good lead into not only the Avengers movie, but also Thor. And as they're making a third Iron Man movie, I don't think they missed out too much on the plotline. It introduced War Machine and shows that Stark still has issues to work out. As for believability of real world things, it's a comic book movie. None of it is real, so I don't really care about translations or whatnot, because Stark can shut up pretty much every television, it seems.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #218 on: 16 May 2010, 22:09 »

and time for some Easter eggs.  Mostly speculation though.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #219 on: 17 May 2010, 08:11 »

The shield was stupid obvious.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #220 on: 17 May 2010, 17:18 »

Oh no, Joe Johnston is directing Captain America... This could be horrible.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #221 on: 17 May 2010, 17:28 »

Actually, just watch this and try not to have an aneurysm.

Holy shit, is that Wendell Pierce at 0:34?! Now I desperately need to re-watch Hackers next time it rolls through on the T.V.

EDIT: Wait, that's not the Robert Redford movie I thought it was.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2010, 17:31 by Inlander »

StreetSpirit

• Obscure cultural reference
  • "Type "cookie", you idiot."
    • Last.FM
« Reply #222 on: 17 May 2010, 17:39 »

The Robert Redford film you are thinking of is Sneakers - sorry if you were being ironic and I didn't catch it (damn interwebs).
"Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!"
-The 10th Doctor (doctor who)

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #223 on: 17 May 2010, 17:41 »

No, I wasn't being ironic. Thanks! I don't like to have my dodgy computer hacker films all mixed up.

I was being deadly serious about the Bunk, though. That shit's important.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #224 on: 19 May 2010, 07:41 »

In a movie about a guy that flies around in a high tech robot battlesuit fighting people who are also wearing high tech robot battlesuits, you are complaining about someone being able to translate a video from Arabic to English? It's called suspension of disbelief!

I found it a little absurd that they had to use some faked-up Middle Eastern accent to talk translated English. I mean, really they'd just stick with Microsoft Sam tbqh.
Not quite so dramatic though.

Its not like they're trying to fool you into thinking anything that stark does is possible in this day and age, or ever. Try building a particle accelerator in your basement with a hammer and some nails.

*insert "BUILT HIS IN A CAAAVE WITH A BOOOOX OF SCRAAAPPS" joke*

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #225 on: 19 May 2010, 09:06 »

and time for some Easter eggs.  Mostly speculation though.
that last photo stating where the red skull is.  I dont think so.  Its pointing in scandinavia, i think its possibly thor the person, whilst the new mexico was just what we saw after the credits.  The shield agent did say "we found it"

as for the duo fighting all the drones in that park, I love the fact it looked samurai-esque with them being back to back, sourrounded, with cherry blossom pedals falling around them.  was kind of cool to put in.  I didnt notice it until my girlfriend pointed it out.

I was unsure about the thor movie until I saw this movie.  now I cant wait!

oh and DJ AM's appearance was awesome.  Great way to go out.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2010, 09:14 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up