THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: DOLLHOUSE  (Read 15601 times)

Persona

DOLLHOUSE
« on: 08 Jan 2009, 14:08 »

First off: FUCK YOU to whomever made the description line for this section. Joss is boss.

Secondly: I can't wait for this god damn show! As my former sig suggested, before I was advised to change it because it was a gif: I've been keeping eyes and ears on and out for this new show. I'm just hoping, as I'm sure every Firefly-fan also attest to, that FOX doesn't fuck over this show. It's being premiered Friday the 13th of next month, which already sounds ominous, but whatever. I'm still looking forward to it.

For those of you who know nothing about it, here's the premise:
DOLLHOUSE focuses on a secret organization that employs "Actives" — a group of operatives who have their memories and personalities wiped clean so they can be imprinted with new ones, allowing them to take on various missions for hire.
and check the trailer at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WwPpfyPUC8&eurl=http://dollhousewiki.fox.com/&feature=player_embedded

Anyone else looking forward to this? Or did I stumble into a crowd of folk who truly detest all things Joss Whedon?

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: DOLLHOUSE
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jan 2009, 14:24 »

It's being premiered Friday the 13th of next month, which already sounds ominous, but whatever.

For more reasons then superstition. It's opening in a Friday time slot mid-season? Oh yeah, this'll be a hit.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

Persona

« Reply #2 on: 08 Jan 2009, 14:36 »

I honestly don't know why anyone would accept that sort of release time. Mid-season openers are always difficult, but not awful. If the show was back-to-back with FRINGE though, it could work out...

Jeans: Are you talking about the Buffy and Angel comics, or all the comics Joss has written? Because I loved his Astonishing X-Men run. That was one of the finest X-Books ever when Joss and Cassady were on it. Not to sound like an extreme Joss fan-boy, but those were just damn iconic X-Men comics. Especially that first arc.

Now, with Ellis...not as awesome.
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2009, 14:39 by Persona »

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jan 2009, 14:40 »

I will probably see and enjoy this show.

Persona

« Reply #4 on: 08 Jan 2009, 14:51 »

I can understand and respect that.
If you're not into the spandex types, have you ever read DMZ? That's probably my favorite non-superhero book.

benji

« Reply #5 on: 08 Jan 2009, 15:08 »

Then I realized the writing isn't as good as in The Wire, the cinematography isn't even close to The West Wing...

On the other hand, if the worst you can say of the guy is "well, he's not David Simon, Aaron Sorkin or Tommy Schlamme," I think he's probably doing okay.

I agree that Whedon is, perhaps, a little over rated. But he's pretty good. I think his talent (and his downfall) is that he can create these elaborate, imaginative worlds that try to pull you in. To the extent that the world he creates captures your imagination, you're hooked. But if it fails to do that, you probably just don't care. Firefly captured my imagination, and I enjoyed it a lot (though it now drives me a little nuts, since my roommate seems to decide it needs to be re-watched in it's entirety every 3 months or so). Buffy never did pull me in, and to this day, I could honestly care less. Yeah, the few episodes I've seen have been pretty good, but it just doesn't grab me. I think some people respond the same way to Firefly, and probably will to this new show. If you take the bait, if the world he spins out is compelling to you, you'll probably like it. If not, it'll probably be a decent show, but nothing worth writing home about.

Persona

« Reply #6 on: 08 Jan 2009, 15:12 »

Glad to be of service, Jeans.

Back on to DOLLHOUSE- this is a great little interview Joss did a while back about the show, reveals a bit more about the nature of what it's actually going to be:  http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rant.aspx?id=20090106_dollhouse

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #7 on: 08 Jan 2009, 19:41 »

I can't get excited about this show at all.

It makes me sad.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Persona

« Reply #8 on: 08 Jan 2009, 20:22 »

I'm sad for you as well.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #9 on: 09 Jan 2009, 00:08 »

Actually, part of the appeal of Firefly must have been that it was so short. Of course, when I saw the final episode I was sad and wanted it to go on, and I saw Serenity and liked it a fair bit, but I'm OK with all that now. It's good for what it is: a witty, character-driven fantasy. The ideas are engaging if not terribly thought-provoking. The script is not spectacular, though I think it is good. It's just so damned cool. The setting, the costumes, everything.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #10 on: 09 Jan 2009, 00:11 »

I guess it could help that it ended before it got bad, but I'm not sure how the so damned cool bit would have changed, maybe they would run out of new ideas for stuff, maybe it doesn't seem so novel after a few seasons?
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Persona

« Reply #11 on: 09 Jan 2009, 13:59 »

There was a guy who did a blog-fic about if Firefly hadn't gotten canceled, and all the things that might've happened in the past 6 seasons of the show. I'll see if I can find the link... it was pretty entertaining.
EDIT: Found
http://www.redrighthand.net/2008/10/thoughts-on-firefly-7th-season-premiere.html

As much as I am looking forward to DOLLHOUSE, I have to wonder, can Eliza Dushku really hold the show on her own? Or will Joss try and pass the weight of the concept on some of the other characters too, much like Firefly was designed? I'm sure everyone remembers her old show Tru Calling, which wasn't awful, but Dushku could only keep it afloat for two seasons. I don't want this to be the fate of DOLLHOUSE. Also, the idea for the show has promise to be expansive, so it wouldn't solely focus on Echo. I'm really hoping they shoot for that sort of atmosphere...
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2009, 14:06 by Persona »

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #12 on: 09 Jan 2009, 16:55 »

Whedon loves him some ensembles.  I'm sure Dushku won't have to carry it by her lonesome.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #13 on: 09 Jan 2009, 17:24 »

First off: FUCK YOU to whomever made the description line for this section. Joss is boss.

That would be Jeph, in a drunken rage no doubt.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Tybalt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Can't always unscramble eggs
« Reply #14 on: 09 Jan 2009, 17:45 »

Was there a part in the trailer that actually told you what the show would be about??
...and that's why I eat bugs.

LukeSimm

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jan 2009, 07:36 »

Oh man, I'm really, really looking forward to this. Whedson is pretty much God in my eyes.

But yeah, between Dollhouse, Lost, 24, Skins, and the united states of tara, I'm going to have so much TV to watch. There will be barely any time to do studying for uni. I blame you, America, and your TV shows for ruining my degree.

--- Luke

el Lenador

« Reply #16 on: 16 Feb 2009, 23:56 »

astonishing x-men was one of the first comics i ever read, and helped get me into comics, so it has a soft spot in my heart. and i didn't mind him on runaways, despite brian k. vaughn's runaways being exponentially better. i could care less about him doing tv and movies.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #17 on: 17 Feb 2009, 07:05 »

As time goes on I realise I like Joss Whedon's shows less and less with every passing year except for the first and last seasons of Angel which basically I would fuck for days on end if they were a woman (or man!?)

Don't know if I can be fucked wasting bandwidth to download this, but I'll probably miss out on it if it ever airs on TV here as well because I don't really just sit down and watch television much anymore. I think I'm going to wait to here the opinions on the entire season, wait to see if it gets cancelled (I cannot afford to get invested in another Joss Whedon sci-fi show on Fox because that will basically drive me nuts if it gets taken off the air after the first season) and get some people with similar opinions on TV as mine to tell me what they think about it, then consider buying it on DVD when it eventually comes out in 2012.

The concept sounds pretty cool but I could see it being pretty bad as well.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

mietteissass

« Reply #18 on: 17 Feb 2009, 08:54 »

I watched Dollhouse and I have to say I am torn about how I feel for it. It has an amazing premise with the ability to be even more amazing. Nut the opening show was a bit of a let down. It was good, but not great, which I think is what we have all come to expect from Joss. I will continue watching in hopes that it will hit that point where I say "Holy shit this show is amazing"

I am sort of hoping it goes to the point where Echo, like any other piece of storage device, starts to remember the things that were once programmed into her.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #19 on: 17 Feb 2009, 18:53 »

As time goes on I realise I like Joss Whedon's shows less and less with every passing year except for the first and last seasons of Angel which basically I would fuck for days on end if they were a woman (or man!?)
Really?  I found the last season of Angel to be very rocky.  The puppet episode was absurdly awesome, but then out of nowhere there's this evil council and destroying it will be the best thing ever and... it ended poorly.  And... Fred.  What he did to Fred.  Unforgivable.

Don't know if I can be fucked wasting bandwidth to download this, but I'll probably miss out on it if it ever airs on TV here as well because I don't really just sit down and watch television much anymore.

Hulu, man.  http://www.hulu.com/

The concept sounds pretty cool but I could see it being pretty bad as well.
Yep.  I think the first episode sounds incredibly ambitious and it's selling the story too much and the characters not enough.  I need to care about Echo more, and he didn't really give that to me.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #20 on: 18 Feb 2009, 00:41 »

We gotta point this out just about every time it comes up, but Hulu doesn't work outside of Amurka.

Well there's some good news! For its timeslot it did quite well out of the gate. It handily beat Friday Night Lights, a cult show currently in its third season despite pretty tepid ratings throughout its run. Couldn't quite beat out Supernannies though. For most networks that would be pretty good grounds for a stay of execution and probably a second season, but this is Fox we're talking about here, and it remains to be seen if Dollhouse can maintain those numbers over time. I certainly don't think Dushku is that great of an actress.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #21 on: 18 Feb 2009, 01:35 »

Yes, she can be entertaining but it really stops there. Well, except for the pouting - God, was there some good pouting in Tru Calling.

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #22 on: 18 Feb 2009, 22:13 »

Wasn't great. I feel like it's getting off the ground though, I'll keep watching. Eliza Dushku is a terrible actor.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #23 on: 19 Feb 2009, 04:16 »

I really enjoyed the show, and I like Eliza Dushku. Does that make me a bad person?
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #24 on: 19 Feb 2009, 16:31 »

Has Dushku been in anything that wasn't "LOL HERE'S TITS LOL" besides Buffy?

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #25 on: 19 Feb 2009, 16:43 »

Sucked
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #26 on: 21 Feb 2009, 19:34 »

Just got to the first commercial break in episode two.  Dude hunts "the ultimate prey".  Kinda sorta seriously saw that one coming.  I was hoping that wouldn't be the case; total cliché.

Nodaisho

« Reply #27 on: 02 Mar 2009, 20:52 »

Pilot was disappointing, second episode was much better, though still not great, same with third episode. I'll keep watching it until it gets canceled, probably, but it's no firefly.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #28 on: 02 Mar 2009, 20:57 »

No, seriously.

This show is terrible.

Like, truly awful.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #29 on: 02 Mar 2009, 21:29 »

Dushku says it'll be just another 3 episodes before it hits its stride!

Also Buffy took some time to get its legs.

Also yeah it's pretty bad.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #30 on: 03 Mar 2009, 01:27 »

The first season of Buffy was utter dogshit. The first season of Angel was, I am assured, complete dogshit (fuck you it was rad, sorry I am already familiar with the characters)

Joss is basically a dude in love with silly concepts that take some time to work out, the fact that Firefly got cancelled so early is a perfect testament to this.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

benji

« Reply #31 on: 03 Mar 2009, 08:29 »

If it hits its stride as expected, I'll start watching again. As it is, I didn't get through the first episode.

Nodaisho

« Reply #32 on: 03 Mar 2009, 16:10 »

I can't blame you for that. The other episodes are better, though still not very good. I suppose we'll have to see if it goes long enough to hit its stride.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #33 on: 03 Mar 2009, 20:04 »

The general consensus I've seen is: 1) okay.  2) pretty good.  3) fucking great.

In terms of episodes.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #34 on: 04 Mar 2009, 12:58 »

Which means from here on out, we have nothing but good things to look forward to!

[I missed last week's, but the second was better than the first, and gave me hope.]
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #35 on: 04 Mar 2009, 14:54 »

I like this more and more the more I watch. It's the only thing I'm actually bothering to watch these days. Frickin' rad!

Also Brett is right, the first season of Buffy is dogshit, but it got better and better. Give Whedon a chance, guys!
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #36 on: 04 Mar 2009, 20:12 »

Which means from here on out, we have nothing but good things to look forward to!

[I missed last week's, but the second was better than the first, and gave me hope.]

It's on Hulu, so you can still see them.

In fact, that's the only reason I've been able to see them, as I fully eschew traditional media as much as possible.  Except for NPR.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #37 on: 04 Mar 2009, 21:42 »

Holy shit, guys, this is awful.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #38 on: 04 Mar 2009, 21:43 »

Also Brett is right, the first season of Buffy is dogshit, but it got better and better. Give Whedon a chance, guys!

No
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #39 on: 06 Mar 2009, 15:11 »

What?! What?!

What about the ventriloquist dummy episode? "Once you go wood, it's never as good!"

And when they all get possessed by hyena spirits?

Okay, well...

I still love it.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #40 on: 07 Mar 2009, 13:58 »

First season of Buffy is good, but it definitely doesn't live up to the rest of the show.

I like this ok so far! First episode wasn't great, but they have definitely been getting better as it goes on. Newest episode was actually pretty awesome, the scenes in the vault were really cool. I will keep watching, obviously, but that's partially just because I have faith it'll get much better.

The Joker

• Curry sauce
  • Why so serious?
« Reply #41 on: 07 Mar 2009, 14:18 »

I like Dollhouse so far.  Granted, I am one of the least critical people in terms of TV and movies on Earth, but whatever.  It entertains me.

Also, Persona, can you find a link to the beginning of the Red Right Hand Firefly thing?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2009, 14:22 by The Joker »
They say the Joker is a wanted man...

thepugs

« Reply #42 on: 14 Mar 2009, 09:33 »

I've heard from other Buffy fans (and my general agreement) is that season one is alright, 2-4 are brilliant, and 5-7 are mediocre.

The ratings for Dollhouse were not amazing for a while until the statistics for the DVR folks came in; apparently, both it and Terminator: TSCC are doing well enough for maybe another season, so that's great.

There were rumors flying around that Alan Tudyk (Wash), Sean Maher (Simon), or Mark Sheppard (Badger) might be playing Alpha - I'm incredibly curious to see who it is.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #43 on: 14 Mar 2009, 14:00 »

The only one that really fits the bill would be Sean Maher, the other two are to physically ugly/out of shape/ginger

The Joker

• Curry sauce
  • Why so serious?
« Reply #44 on: 14 Mar 2009, 14:06 »

I've heard from other Buffy fans (and my general agreement) is that season one is alright, 2-4 are brilliant, and 5-7 are mediocre.

The ratings for Dollhouse were not amazing for a while until the statistics for the DVR folks came in; apparently, both it and Terminator: TSCC are doing well enough for maybe another season, so that's great.

There were rumors flying around that Alan Tudyk (Wash), Sean Maher (Simon), or Mark Sheppard (Badger) might be playing Alpha - I'm incredibly curious to see who it is.

Badger was already a cop in episode two.  I was very happy to see him.  Also, did anyone catch the gratuitous shot of blue hands?  (I don't know which episode) I laughed.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #45 on: 14 Mar 2009, 14:11 »

Badger was already a cop in episode two.  I was very happy to see him.  Also, did anyone catch the gratuitous shot of blue hands?  (I don't know which episode) I laughed.

Oh yeah ahha I recall that

The Joker

• Curry sauce
  • Why so serious?
« Reply #46 on: 16 Mar 2009, 11:12 »

Oh yeah ahha I recall that

And that kind of stuff is why I love Joss Whedon.

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #47 on: 16 Mar 2009, 12:10 »

It's kind of funny.  Watching Dollhouse, it's pretty easy to see where some familiar faces are coming from.  Like how all the dolls are walking River Tams, and Tamoh Penniket's character's neighbor is basically Kaylee.  I'm fairly sure she even says Shiny in one episode, but I could be wrong.
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #48 on: 17 Mar 2009, 12:01 »

I just watched "True Believer"... is it the new thing for people to hit each other in the face every time something dramatic happens? Or is that just Tim Minear's writing style? Either way, it's losing its punch. (ha!)

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #49 on: 08 Apr 2009, 23:34 »

Double post, but worth it. Some set designer leaked a pic of Alpha's lair.

SPOILER WARNING

DO NOT READ AFTER THIS

Alpha's lair.

Yes. Alpha is Alan Tudyk.
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2009, 21:38 by scarred »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up