THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 23:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PS3 internet issues or: HELP, I'M HELLA DUMB  (Read 2285 times)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
PS3 internet issues or: HELP, I'M HELLA DUMB
« on: 15 Jan 2009, 17:56 »

guys i am hella dumb and need your help.

my PS3 seems to be using the same IP address as my computer to connect to the internet and apparently this a problem for some reason. basically, every time i turn on my PS3 there is a chance that my internet will "break" and i'll have to go upstairs and reset my modem and router. this is a pain in the ass and i'd to not have to do it anymore. it doesn't happen every time and i haven't tried turning the PS3 on with the computer on/off to see if that makes a difference.

is this a common problem? thanks in advance for any help.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Re: PS3 internet issues or: HELP, I'M HELLA DUMB
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2009, 19:22 »

Are your machines using DHCP/router giving them dynamic addresses?  If so you can usually plug in the mac addresses of the offending items (ie: the pc & the ps3) and tell the router to assign specific (different) addresses to them.

Another way to do it is to turn both your pc and your ps3 on, then on your pc open up a command prompt ("cmd" from the run box/search bar) and type "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" to request a new ip address from the router.  Hopefully it'll see that they both have the same IP address and issue a new one.

Alternatively, one or both of the machines are set to have static ip addresses.  If so then either set both to have different static addresses or set both to use DHCP and request new DHCP leases from the router.

Hope that helps!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2009, 10:14 »

alright, i am going to try to fiddle with it this weekend if i have time. thanks for the help.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2009, 10:27 »

You can also just assign your PS3 and your PC different static addresses on your router's subnet.

For example, if your router is 192.168.1.1, give your PS3 the address 192.168.1.101, and your PC 192.168.1.102. Most DHCP servers on consumer routers assign x.x.x.2-100 as DHCP addresses, so anything in the range of 101-254 is safe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up