THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 14:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT Jan 19th-23rd  (Read 89029 times)

lovebird

Re: WCT Jan 19th-23rd
« Reply #150 on: 21 Jan 2009, 18:52 »

Wiki'd The Stand because I've never read it--there's a possible correlation between the mention of this book and Hanner's flu.  Maybe tomorrow Marten will be recounting the story to Dora, Hanners will overhear and ask what The Stand is about and then OCD all over the place about the end of the human race due to a superflu?

masquerade

« Reply #151 on: 21 Jan 2009, 19:47 »

Randomgirl overreacted because she looks like a freshman and is probably like the massive majority of college freshman females: overemotional, immature, and obsessed with Twilight. Let's kill her.

Jeff7

• Furry furrier
« Reply #152 on: 21 Jan 2009, 20:12 »

Some other problems with a vacuum:
1) Water boils immediately. If your skin is damp, you'll lose a hell of a lot of heat that way.
2) You will still lose heat to radiation, but whether or not you're in sunlight will determine how quickly you die. Sunlight in space hits Earth at around 1000W/m².
3) The air in your lungs will REALLY want to escape - you might have a hell of a time holding in 14.7psi.
Well, nope, your blood wont boil as such because your body is solid enough to keep the pressure up high enough.

If your blood really would boil as a whole, you would indeed explode, as one liter of water IIRC translates to 1,700 liters of steam.

And yes, you cannot just hold your breath in the vaccum.

I know. I never said that your blood would boil off. I said that water will boil, and that if your skin was damp, that water's rapid evaporation would suck a lot of heat out of you very quickly.

However, some blood could perhaps boil:
If capillaries near the skin rupture due to the pressure differential, then the water in the exposed blood would indeed boil away.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #153 on: 21 Jan 2009, 23:37 »

Actually, I wonder if, in the vacuum, the fact that heat exchanges are roughly limited to radiation, wouldn't make an excess of body heat a plausible issue (if the other problems somehow weren't important enough). After all, the main temperature problem space engineers face with inhabited space structures is not warming, but cooling.

Anyway about the comic: this reminds me of a conversation I read on a forum. A guy said that he found weird the number of girls who had tried to flirt with him since he was with his girlfriend. He said about a dozen in three months. His girlfriend, also on that forum (actually, they met through said forum), merrily told that it was only counting the ones he noticed, in fact there had been much more.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

cory54321

• Not quite a lurker
  • ZING!
« Reply #154 on: 22 Jan 2009, 00:11 »

Randomgirl overreacted because she looks like a freshman and is probably like the massive majority of college freshman females: overemotional, immature, and obsessed with Twilight. Let's kill her.

As a college freshman female, I resent that!  :-P
I kind of sympathize with her too. She finally works up the courage to ask the cutie at the library desk out, only to find out he's taken. How mortifying.
MWUAHAHAHAHA

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #155 on: 22 Jan 2009, 00:50 »

And then she tells her troubles to his sword-swingin' girlfriend. Sometimes bad days only get worse.

So Dora's not as relaxed about competition as some have predicted. Which is consistant, I'd say.

Love Dora's expression in the last panel. And I'm sure it's really Faye's turn to mop up the gore. Slacker.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2009, 00:54 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #156 on: 22 Jan 2009, 00:58 »

Two brownies is nowhere near enough to compensate for that.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

kgbisouttogetme

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Murder is only bad if you kill baby seals.
« Reply #157 on: 22 Jan 2009, 00:58 »

hahaha dora rules.
i need to find me one of those psychotic sword wielding female companions. partially because i assume thats the only type of person who would tolerate a mentally insane warhammer carrying male.
Jesus probably was hung like a horse. Wouldn't it be pathetic it he weren't? haha Jesus boner.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #158 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:01 »

Oh my goodness. A momentary glimpse of Dora's face in the last panel was enough to make me have to minimize the window and laugh so loudly my neighbors came and knocked on my door.

And speaking of the relationship pheromone, I can attest to its potency. Gentlemen, beware its effects less your ego become over-inflated. The girls that currently seem interested in you will be awfully scarce once your own girl is gone.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

kgbisouttogetme

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Murder is only bad if you kill baby seals.
« Reply #159 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:02 »

i think jeph is having fun drawing tiny pupils
Jesus probably was hung like a horse. Wouldn't it be pathetic it he weren't? haha Jesus boner.

Shawn

• Plantmonster
  • Simple to the point of complication.
    • Twitter
« Reply #160 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:03 »

lol yes! I knew she'd be back. I have a feeling this is gonna be a great arc ;)
Said with a healthy dose of insanity.

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #161 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:06 »

So she ordered the special. Most unwise.

Bloodlusty female + broadsword = daymn
I'll take a sausage superior to any burger ... AND EAT IT!

LizziL

• Larger than most fish
  • 'This thing came out of our cat...'
« Reply #162 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:10 »

i think jeph is having fun drawing tiny pupils
I came here to say exactly the same thing!

sieckanddestroy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #163 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:11 »

Unless it's the complete opposite of a guy asking a girl out (and it is, but you know what I mean), I can't see Dora's logic.  I'd think asking one out is a good way to find out if a person is available.  If they say "no, I'm taken," then you know, well...they're taken.  And you don't have to feel bad about rejection because there's no way you can blame yourself for that.

Unless you try really hard.  In which case, well, you have a whole different problem.
Kovacs pretending to be Rorschach or Rorschach pretending to be me?

Wyr

« Reply #164 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:21 »

C'mon Mart m'boy. Cheat! Take the freshmen for all her body's worth. Then maybe a round or six with your boss.
If you get caught, blame Hanners for giving you a fever that scrambled your brain.
Even if you're still dumped, hanners will feel so guilty, you'll have a fourth girl in only a couple days! mwahahaha!

Or, y'know, just comment on the strange situation that any guy who's ever had a relationship has commented on before you.
Personally, I think girls have their own floating server, with every boy on earth listed. The moment you date one, you flag their profile on this server. And any girl who feels like messing with you, can do so.

Malek

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #165 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:30 »

I feel bad for this,as of yet,unnamed girl.

I myself have never suffered something like that,but day after day i've seen it happen,and it aint pretty.

I hope Dora doesnt kill her,she could be a new main charactor.

Or maybe not.

Shawn

• Plantmonster
  • Simple to the point of complication.
    • Twitter
« Reply #166 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:37 »

I hope Dora doesnt kill her,she could be a new main charactor.

I think she would make a good main character. Like I mentioned before, I'm not sure why I like her, I just do.
Said with a healthy dose of insanity.

Twelvth

« Reply #167 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:43 »

Unless it's the complete opposite of a guy asking a girl out (and it is, but you know what I mean), I can't see Dora's logic.  I'd think asking one out is a good way to find out if a person is available.  If they say "no, I'm taken," then you know, well...they're taken.  And you don't have to feel bad about rejection because there's no way you can blame yourself for that.

Dora's logic is that, if you're going to be embarrassed to find out they're already dating someone... find out BEFORE asking and save yourself the trouble.

Malek

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #168 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:44 »

I agree,there is something about this young lady that i like.

Kinda reminds me of Penny,mostly the hair though.

OMG MAYBE SHE IS PIZZA GIRL!

Hahaha i doubt it.

PassiveTheory

« Reply #169 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:52 »

This week has been amazing. Keep up the good work Jeph.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #170 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:01 »

I think girls have their own floating server, with every boy on earth listed. The moment you date one, you flag their profile on this server.

I was gonna call you out for being a total dick in your first paragraph, albeit a witty one. But then your second comment was so dang accurate!!!
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Wolfenchild

• Not quite a lurker
    • MySpaz Profile
« Reply #171 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:11 »

Poor girl. She came in for an Extra Large Vanilla Latte with extra whipped cream and two brownies and instead she got the special.

Vchat20

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #172 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:21 »

My only ponderment is this: How in the flippin' world has Dora hidden that sword so well up till now that Faye has never had a chance to use it. That girl would rape a monk and hold your first born hostage for a minute with that thing. And we all know Dora must have had it around CoD for a while considering the other awesome battle utensils she has stored around the place.

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #173 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:45 »

Actually, Faye already used it in this strip.

Matrix

« Reply #174 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:55 »

I actually feel sorry for the little frosh... Embarrassed and evicerated in the same day. Poor thing - hope someone at least gives her a nice eugoogooly.

(Yes, it was an intentional Zoolander reference).

WilliamSinister

« Reply #175 on: 22 Jan 2009, 03:06 »

And then she tells her troubles to his sword-swingin' girlfriend. Sometimes bad days only get worse.

So Dora's not as relaxed about competition as some have predicted. Which is consistant, I'd say.

Love Dora's expression in the last panel. And I'm sure it's really Faye's turn to mop up the gore. Slacker.

Her expression is classic...and a perfect 20 roll on her INTIMIDATION.

It just reminds me of an expression from BERSERK- the anime...but instead of Guts (Gatsu) it's Dora, with a smaller sword.

Though if that sword isn't sharp- and it probably isn't, it'll make a similarly nasty bloody mess.

Regardless of my mixed fandom, this was a SUPERB set up for a sight gag/awkwardly hilarious social situation.

Way to go Jeph.

WilliamSinister

« Reply #176 on: 22 Jan 2009, 03:09 »

Jan 22.

I think Dora's heaving the sword up on the counter (after, yes, spar practicing with Faye) and getting the Guts blood-spilling look of doom just adds to the store's fabled ambiance...

"Coffee of Doom! Come for the Coffee stay for the Carnage!"

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #177 on: 22 Jan 2009, 03:21 »

I just wanna say the last panel is simultaneously the funniest and hottest thing I've seen this week.

Vchat20

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #178 on: 22 Jan 2009, 03:27 »

Actually, Faye already used it in this strip.

Oh wow. How did I miss that one?

I feel like such an uninitiated noob now.  :cry:

Screwball

« Reply #179 on: 22 Jan 2009, 03:48 »

Man, Dora's expression in the last panel was downright psychotic. Imagine going in to get some coffee and seeing a barista with a whacking great claymore and that look on their face...

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #180 on: 22 Jan 2009, 04:08 »

Imagine going in to get some coffee and seeing a barista with a whacking great claymore and that look on their face...

OMG so hot. Marten officially has the awesomest girlfriend in the history of ever.  :wink:
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

plumbob78

• Obscure cultural reference
  • ¡Viva la revolución!
« Reply #181 on: 22 Jan 2009, 04:50 »

The last panel of today's strip is the best QC panel EVER.

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
« Reply #182 on: 22 Jan 2009, 05:03 »

agreed. The facial expressions, the dialog...everything was perfect.

Poor girl, shattered ego, and shattered innards, life is NOT good today.
Help bring back the dragons!

epitomynut

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #183 on: 22 Jan 2009, 05:09 »

Am I the only one that thinks the sword looks a bit small for a proper broadsword? Your typical broadsword (also sometimes called greatswords, longswords, or my personal favourite, bastard swords) has a blade 3 feet long minimum, compared to the ~2-2.5 foot CoD sword.

Other than that minor thing, I loved the comic. Dora's expression in the last panel reminded me of the song "Crazy Bitch" by Buck Cherry. Which is good for Martin at least. :wink:

La

« Reply #184 on: 22 Jan 2009, 05:27 »

The last panel is funny, but I don't exactly get Dora's expression. Is she really pissed at this girl for asking out a random dude? (which, I don't know why I ask that so incredulously, this is psycho Dora we're talking about) Or is she just intimidating for fun? Or perhaps she's just excited to rub it in her face that she's screwing Marten? (why the sword, then?) The expression is very anime-ish, very funny, but not very clear.

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
« Reply #185 on: 22 Jan 2009, 05:29 »

her broadsword got whittled down due to the number of dented tabled in the past.

*Thunk!*

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
« Reply #186 on: 22 Jan 2009, 05:33 »

The last panel is funny, but I don't exactly get Dora's expression. Is she really pissed at this girl for asking out a random dude? (which, I don't know why I ask that so incredulously, this is psycho Dora we're talking about) Or is she just intimidating for fun? Or perhaps she's just excited to rub it in her face that she's screwing Marten? (why the sword, then?) The expression is very anime-ish, very funny, but not very clear.

all of the above...and more.

Its essentially "Bwahahahahaha! He's mine! you want him but you can't have him!"

I see Jeph has really gotten into using the eyes more expressively. Hope to see more in the future.

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #187 on: 22 Jan 2009, 05:38 »

That's half the fun wondering if she's joking or not. ;P

regardless, that panel is pure concentrated awesome, someone please hand over an internet to Mr. Jacques.

THUNK is the new BONK

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
« Reply #188 on: 22 Jan 2009, 05:41 »

for friggin real! Thunk speaks so many things, but requires only on language.

and the hair makes her look absolutely insane!

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #189 on: 22 Jan 2009, 05:48 »

Badass.

Kinda feel sorry for the redhead, though. This really isn't her day.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

moogoob

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #190 on: 22 Jan 2009, 05:49 »

I rarely comment here, but that last panel is why Dora's my favourite character. :D

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #191 on: 22 Jan 2009, 05:55 »

Dora's expression scares me....
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
« Reply #192 on: 22 Jan 2009, 05:59 »

Question: If faye had hooked up with matin, how would this senario have played out?

ThePrettyMonster

• Emoticontraindication
  • :P
« Reply #193 on: 22 Jan 2009, 06:13 »

DORA IS THE SHIT!  :-D
She's insane, its entirely amazing.
Addicted to QC since August 14th 2007. Thank you, Noelle Wells!

Quartsize

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #194 on: 22 Jan 2009, 06:34 »

OMG BLOODLUST DORA IS TEH HAWTZ.

Sweet Tits Lite is gon' git it.

Mr. Penston

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #195 on: 22 Jan 2009, 06:53 »

Question: If faye had hooked up with matin, how would this senario have played out?

Faye would open her mouth.
Asian Giant Hornets would come out.
Unnamed Woman... she wouldn't make it.

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #196 on: 22 Jan 2009, 06:57 »

Or the snakes would peek out from under her wig and Whatshername'd turn into stone.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #197 on: 22 Jan 2009, 07:07 »

LMFAO @ this comic.

And, poor Unnamed Redhead. Although, I don't think Dora's entirely being serious here.

(If Marten were with Faye, and this happened, though... Faye would have been serious. :eek:)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #198 on: 22 Jan 2009, 07:14 »

Of course, Dora (with Faye's approval) has a history of killing girls who are interested in Marten: 547.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #199 on: 22 Jan 2009, 07:21 »

LOL "Its Penny's turn to clean up the blood." LOL

Am I the only one that thinks the sword looks a bit small for a proper broadsword? [...]
According to Wikikpedia, the term "broadsword" can reference a couple of very different types of swords, i.e. its not clearly defined in the first place, even for experts.

Even less for people who arent experts. For them it just means "big sword that can easily cut of one of your limbs", probably.

I would call what Dora is wielding there is a short sword.

Actually, I wonder if, in the vacuum, the fact that heat exchanges are roughly limited to radiation, wouldn't make an excess of body heat a plausible issue (if the other problems somehow weren't important enough).
Actually thats a good question.

Though I would persume it wouldnt be much of a problem unless you would really work a lot.

Polar bears cannot run for a longer time, because their fur offers near perfect heat isolation; continuing to run would result therefore in them overheating and dying from it.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2009, 07:35 by snubnose »
Carpe Diem
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up