THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 23:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT Jan 19th-23rd  (Read 89077 times)

kaitco

• Emoticontraindication
    • DorienneSmith.com
Re: WCT Jan 19th-23rd
« Reply #200 on: 22 Jan 2009, 07:41 »

Is Jeph insinuating that The Stand is a bad read?
I took that to regard the 1000+ pages that make up the novel. My uncut version is definitely in the 1100 range.

Today's comic was just hilarious and an example of why I love reading this comic. It was nice to see Dora finally begin to show some protectiveness over Marten since she had seemed rather "blah" about any other time he had some kind of interaction with other girls. That sword was utterly brilliant and Faye's line is sample of why she is my favorite character.

I hope this chick stays around for a bit because I was wanting to see a new story arc develop sooner rather than later and she seems like the perfect way to begin one.

• Not quite a lurker
  • diversion
    • My Blog
« Reply #201 on: 22 Jan 2009, 07:51 »

Have we seen the sword before?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #202 on: 22 Jan 2009, 07:53 »

This was answered on the previous page of this thread: 468.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Dagdason

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #203 on: 22 Jan 2009, 07:56 »

I have a feeling that this girl is going to become a recurrent character.

rudyhenkel

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #204 on: 22 Jan 2009, 08:01 »

If I was Martin, and I was surreptitiously viewing this exchange, I would be unable to stop myself from dragging Dora into the back room for sex immediately.

Psychotically protective jealously is very unhealthy, but very, very hot.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2009, 08:04 by rudyhenkel »

weirdbeard

• Plantmonster
    • Rants and Giggles
« Reply #205 on: 22 Jan 2009, 08:28 »

that poor smif girl, she's not having a good day.

marten's a lucky little shit.
having a girlfriend who looks like a punkrock elf and draws swords at the competition seems like it would be a pretty sweet deal.
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.
http://rantsandgiggles.blogspot.com

sporky800

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #206 on: 22 Jan 2009, 08:33 »

I must say, Dora must be one STRONG barrista if she can lift a broadsword up like that with one hand.
From what I've heard, those things are very heavy.  Or maybe it's just the DoraRage that's somehow infused her being with super strength.

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #207 on: 22 Jan 2009, 08:55 »

I have a feeling that this girl is going to become a recurrent character.

Perhaps she starts scheming, thinking "Cute library guy's girlfriend's a complete psycho... must rescue..."

dps

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #208 on: 22 Jan 2009, 08:59 »

Asking someone out and then finding out that they're already taken isn't all that embarrassing, IMO.  Discussing it with a person who turns out to be their significant other---now THAT's embarrassing.

0kamisama

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Warning: Prone to Squee-gasms ♥
« Reply #209 on: 22 Jan 2009, 09:10 »

For some reason, today's strip reminds me of Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni.

One seemingly normal guy who's surrounded by lots of beautiful girls, who are both sweet and charming and psychotically murderous.

... good times for Marten. Now he just needs to start carrying a weapon of his own around for defense.
I have no interest in ordinary humans...

Rocketman

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • A little bitter.
« Reply #210 on: 22 Jan 2009, 09:18 »

For some reason, today's strip reminds me of 50% of the entire anime content of Japan

One seemingly normal guy who's surrounded by lots of beautiful girls, who are both sweet and charming and psychotically murderous.

Fixed.

renfield1969

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #211 on: 22 Jan 2009, 09:30 »

Poor Kaiya, just can't catch a break.

I found Dora's reaction to be rather extreme for this situation. If Kaiya had indicated she was going to pursue Marten regardless, I could see it, but I couldn't really figure out what Dora was reacting to that justified the broadsword. This is especially striking when compared to their recent encounter with Hannelore in various states of undress. Of course, she does have her insecurities about their relationship and is prone to massive mood swings, so it's not entirely out of character.

And add me to the club for new readers who have to remind themsleves to read the strip title after having devoured the QC archive.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #212 on: 22 Jan 2009, 09:36 »

But the Williston Stacks are at Mount Holyoke, not Smith...

rudyhenkel

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #213 on: 22 Jan 2009, 09:52 »

OH MY GOODNESS!

In strip 1321, two days ago, notice Dora is holding her broadsword, and Faye has the mop.  That's why it's Penny's turn to clean up the mess.

Very subtle, Jeff.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2009, 10:18 by rudyhenkel »

Shok Xone Studios

• Wasn't he also "Vigo the Butch"?
    • ShokXoneStudios.com
« Reply #214 on: 22 Jan 2009, 10:16 »

It's amazing how Dora goes from sympathizing to rubbing it in and threatening dismemberment to boot, yet I'm still on her side simply because that crazed look in her eyes is friggin' awesome. Schadenfreude FTW.
SHOK XONE STUDIOS.com
Art is love. Love is destructive. That's what I told the police when I blew up the museum.

oh look I has arts for sale

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #215 on: 22 Jan 2009, 11:24 »

I love how the Broadsword was introduced way back and still makes appearances.

Other comics would have used it for a one time joke then never referenced it again.

This is why I love QC.

Hurray Beheadings!

masquerade

« Reply #216 on: 22 Jan 2009, 11:34 »

I don't think it was an overreaction. It was distinguishing territory and very bluntly stating that it was not to be encroached upon from some strumpety slip of a thing from an uppity college nearby. Begone, small girl!

AnkhWL

• Plantmonster
« Reply #217 on: 22 Jan 2009, 11:50 »

Poor Kaiya, just can't catch a break.

I found Dora's reaction to be rather extreme for this situation. If Kaiya had indicated she was going to pursue Marten regardless, I could see it, but I couldn't really figure out what Dora was reacting to that justified the broadsword. This is especially striking when compared to their recent encounter with Hannelore in various states of undress. Of course, she does have her insecurities about their relationship and is prone to massive mood swings, so it's not entirely out of character.

And add me to the club for new readers who have to remind themsleves to read the strip title after having devoured the QC archive.

I pretty much agree. I think it was clear the girl was not going to persue Martin at all (hence why she ordered what she did and said she was upset), but then again its in character really for Dora to over react (although rather humorously) to this type of situation.

Sir Ralen

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #218 on: 22 Jan 2009, 13:03 »

I must say, Dora must be one STRONG barrista if she can lift a broadsword up like that with one hand.
From what I've heard, those things are very heavy.  Or maybe it's just the DoraRage that's somehow infused her being with super strength.

According to Dungeons and Dragons, a longsword only weighs 4 pounds.
By that logic, I'm sure a broadsword wouldn't weigh more than 10 pounds.

Oh, and also: HOLY CRAP! I haven't laughed at a comic like that in a long time.  Dora's expression is... magnificent.  This was the best QC comic for laugh factor in at least a few months.  Yey!

michi-love

« Reply #219 on: 22 Jan 2009, 13:06 »

I dunno. Dora doesn't seem genuinely pissed or actually ready to fight to the death for Martin. Though I'm sure she was.

Her sadistic side is showing, imo. Wants to further the pain.

Poor girl. May she eventually get over the trauma of this day - which might never happen if she does become a regular character, considering the amount of trauma they inflict on each other.
(Though, I personally think she should be the one to drag Steve out from whatever rock he's crawled under.)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #220 on: 22 Jan 2009, 13:12 »

Bahahaha! xD It would be even better if Penny came and said "Dora, please, that's the second customer you brutally dismembered this morning."

This week is a very very good week. :D
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #221 on: 22 Jan 2009, 13:52 »

The difference between Dora's treatment of Marten seeing Hanners boob (and Tai's nether regions,) and Dora's treatment of unnamed-Smif-student is that she knows Marten really was mortified by those things, and it wasn't Hanners or Tai coming onto him. Unnamed-Smif-student was actually making a move.

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #222 on: 22 Jan 2009, 13:54 »

Question: If faye had hooked up with matin, how would this senario have played out?

With direct, painful, purposeful violence, not nearly as playfully insinuated as Dora's delicious response.

Armed women excite me.  Especially COMPETENT, armed women.

And you already KNOW how I feel about crazies...

(If Marten were with Faye, and this happened, though... Faye would have been serious. shocked)

Agreed.

I would call what Dora is wielding there is a short sword.

Again, agreed.

Psychotically protective jealously is very unhealthy, but very, very hot.

Mmmmhmmmm....

Sounds like Davan from Something Positive.

(Though, I personally think she should be the one to drag Steve out from whatever rock he's crawled under.)

Ooh!  Ooh!  That would be t3h 4w3ssum!

Er...I mean...*ahem*

I mean, hooray.  Then I'd win my bet.

i think steve may be lying in a ditch somewhere

Gosh, I hope not.  I've got a bet on him being alive and eventually turning up again.

S

your betting money on a comic?

You writing with green on gray color ?

Plus she said nothing about money, did she ? People can just bet to win the bet - no need for a prize.

First:  Yes, I made a bet.
Second: No, I did not bet money.
Third: It's none of your business WHAT I bet.
Fourth: Green on gray is difficult to read.
Fifth: I am not female.  At least, not last time I checked.

Sixth: I couldn't resist adding to the quote tunnel.

Bottom Line:

Liked today's comic.  Love armed women, especially ones that would be psychotically protective of me.  Thus, Dora is t3h h4wt!

I hope Steve returns, both because I like him and becuase my bet rides on it.

I enjoy the possibility of a story arc including as-yet-nameless-redhead and Steve hooking up for something steamy.

That is all.

S
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

PiotrZak

« Reply #223 on: 22 Jan 2009, 13:54 »

According to Dungeons and Dragons, a longsword only weighs 4 pounds.
By that logic, I'm sure a broadsword wouldn't weigh more than 10 pounds.
The D&D figures are inflated to begin with, actually. Swords are lighter than you'd think, since you had to be able to swing them fast and repeatedly for a long time, and anything weighing as much as 10 pounds was useless except as a parade piece.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #224 on: 22 Jan 2009, 13:57 »

Am I the only one that thinks the sword looks a bit small for a proper broadsword? Your typical broadsword (also sometimes called greatswords, longswords, or my personal favourite, bastard swords) has a blade 3 feet long minimum, compared to the ~2-2.5 foot CoD sword.
<Bad E.G. Robinson impression> It's a broadsword because a gal's wieldin' it, see? Broad — Sword, get it? Yeah.

Anyway, as has already been said, broadsword is only an exact term in D&D (and even then, I think that's only meant to be a mechanics thing). In reality, as my copy of the Encyclopedia of Arms and Weapons states, it's a generic label. OTOH, it's definitely not a Claymore Dora's wielding.

And Rocketman, you're right on (this time, anyway  :-D). I've always thought Japan's population must contain significantly more females than males. Maybe it was like that when some of the people who wrote Anime were growing up, anyway (the War and all). At any rate, to judge by the Animé's, if  Jan 'n Dean had been Japanese, they would have sung "Four girls for every boy."
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Nightson

« Reply #225 on: 22 Jan 2009, 14:00 »

If Dora's reaction was anything other then a joke (and an absolutely hilarious one at that), then she would be insane.

ershnuff

• Not quite a lurker
  • Flowin' like water
« Reply #226 on: 22 Jan 2009, 14:04 »

I disagree with the person above that said the psychotic jealousy is hot. I feel sorry for the girl-she summoned the strength to ask someone out and now she's getting nothing but crap for it. She got shot down, tries to remedy it with some unhealthy baked goods and high calorie coffee, explains her situation... and oh crap, she's talking to the very girl that the cute boy is dating. Seriously, Jeph loves to torture the characters he creates. I personally would like to see more of her, and I would additionally like to see something good happen for her.

Oh and in all honesty, if Dora is serious with that broadsword and her murderous intentions then she is a bitch and I will hate her. I happen to also agree with the other person that said she's being too extreme and is overreacting.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #227 on: 22 Jan 2009, 14:14 »

Yeah, my take is that Dora just couldn't pass up the delicious opportunity for the joke. If the poor girl succeeds in not puddling on the floor (which WOULD result in Faye using that staff) and running away, I bet Dora would even give her one of those brownies on the house for being a good sport.

And yes, real broadswords are in the 4 lb range, it's more of a spring steel sheet than a stainless steel bar.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Dokph

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #228 on: 22 Jan 2009, 14:34 »

This was hilarious. Truly hilarious. That's all.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #229 on: 22 Jan 2009, 14:49 »

How about instead of trying to guess if the sword is a shortsword, or a broadsword, or a claymore, gladius, longsword, etc... we either:

a) Name it. A good, strong, awesome name indicative of its purpose, like BitchCleaver or something, or...
b)Just leave it at sword. It is a sword, What type of sword? A swordy sword.

Fighter would be proud.

JReynolds

• Larger than most fish
  • We thought you was a toad!
« Reply #230 on: 22 Jan 2009, 14:57 »

<Bad E.G. Robinson impression> It's a broadsword because a gal's wieldin' it, see? Broad — Sword, get it? Yeah.

That's like the one about how to distinguish between a fort and a fortress: The presence of breastworks.
When folly and lies are sown broadcast, one necessarily reaps insanity.  --Zola

Heavyoak

• Furry furrier
  • I ♥ Hannelore
    • Heavyoak's random web stuff
« Reply #231 on: 22 Jan 2009, 15:10 »

broadswords are SUPER FUCKING heavy. I own 5 of them.

La

« Reply #232 on: 22 Jan 2009, 15:15 »

[too lazy to quote all the people who said they hope she's a new character -- and whoever gave her a "real" name and insists on calling her that]

My god, I so hope she's just a one-off two-off character, and not a regular character. That would be way way way too many of the main characters coming into the strip with romantic interest in Marten. Just no. Just no.

SexRaptor

« Reply #233 on: 22 Jan 2009, 15:46 »

People actually think Dora's being serious in this strip with the jealousy - i'm sure as hell hoping she's just tormenting the girl for fun or i'll dislike Dora's brand of insecurity and psychosis even more.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #234 on: 22 Jan 2009, 15:55 »

How about instead of trying to guess if the sword is a shortsword, or a broadsword, or a claymore, gladius, longsword, etc... we either:

a) Name it. A good, strong, awesome name indicative of its purpose, like BitchCleaver or something, or...
b)Just leave it at sword. It is a sword, What type of sword? A swordy sword.

Fighter would be proud.

It is named the "Anti-robbery broadsword".
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

m0o0oeh

« Reply #235 on: 22 Jan 2009, 16:33 »

Is it me, or is Dora getting more anime-stylee? I mean, p4 in todays comic, she looks like she's gonna lose her eyes

And the hair?!

Joe

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #236 on: 22 Jan 2009, 16:41 »

"For example, the lengthy catalog of swords from the famed Wallace Collection Museum in London readily lists dozens of fine specimens among which it is difficult to find any weighing in excess of 4 pounds. Indeed, the majority of specimens, from arming swords to two-handers to rapiers, weigh much less than three pounds."

The replica market very rarely actually creates swords of true weapon caliber, even when they're "edged".

On the other hand, that makes it more likely that what Dora has is one of these overweight replicas, but I prefer to think of her as somebody who appreciates authentic:wink:  And considering how freakin' sharp the spring steel broadsword a friend let me handle was, I finally believe that it is possible to cut somebody in half with a sword. That would make a fine anti-robbery implement in any girl's arsenal.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Kharn

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #237 on: 22 Jan 2009, 17:25 »

OH MY GOODNESS!
In strip 1321, two days ago, notice Dora is holding her broadsword, and Faye has the mop.  That's why it's Penny's turn to clean up the mess.
Very subtle, Jeff.
Looks more like padding applied to a broomhandle for use as a practice spear/lance to me.

ross_teneyck

• Not quite a lurker
  • This sentence is self-referential.
    • http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~teneyck
« Reply #238 on: 22 Jan 2009, 17:57 »

Heaviness is relative.  A sword that weighs three or four pounds is easily light enough for any normal person to lift it with one hand; but if you start swinging it repeatedly you'll quickly find that three or four pounds is a lot heavier than you thought it was.
Are wa yume? Soretomo maboroshi?

kgbisouttogetme

• Murder is only bad if you kill baby seals.
« Reply #239 on: 22 Jan 2009, 18:02 »

i think its funny that everyones digging on dora right now, but as soon as the next cartoon with hanners comes out everyones gonna forget about dora
Jesus probably was hung like a horse. Wouldn't it be pathetic it he weren't? haha Jesus boner.

LizziL

• Larger than most fish
  • 'This thing came out of our cat...'
« Reply #240 on: 22 Jan 2009, 18:22 »

I don't feel like looking it up to quote, but somehow if Faye and Marten had gotten together, I think Faye would've been a tad more *relaxed* in this situation.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #241 on: 22 Jan 2009, 18:30 »

I bet that Redhead wishes she'd stayed in in bed now.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2009, 20:51 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

QuarterFire

• Emoticontraindication
  • o rly?
« Reply #242 on: 22 Jan 2009, 18:35 »

I disagree with the person above that said the psychotic jealousy is hot. I feel sorry for the girl-she summoned the strength to ask someone out and now she's getting nothing but crap for it. She got shot down, tries to remedy it with some unhealthy baked goods and high calorie coffee, explains her situation... and oh crap, she's talking to the very girl that the cute boy is dating. Seriously, Jeph loves to torture the characters he creates. I personally would like to see more of her, and I would additionally like to see something good happen for her.

Oh and in all honesty, if Dora is serious with that broadsword and her murderous intentions then she is a bitch and I will hate her. I happen to also agree with the other person that said she's being too extreme and is overreacting.
lmfao.

Comedy is just tragedy revisited.

Also it should be obvious Dora is joking. Albeit the poor girl isn't going to think so, and she's going to have the crap scared out of her. Tomorrow is probably going to be a comic where Dora apologizes to the poor thing.

Superkid11

• Obscure cultural reference
  • New teeth!
« Reply #243 on: 22 Jan 2009, 18:37 »

People actually think Dora's being serious in this strip with the jealousy - i'm sure as hell hoping she's just tormenting the girl for fun or i'll dislike Dora's brand of insecurity and psychosis even more.
I'm sure she's just fucking around. Faye does it all the time, why shouldn't she? :p
But if not, she's turning into a yandere and... it would actually be interesting to see where that would go.

Neskah

« Reply #244 on: 22 Jan 2009, 18:39 »

I bet that Redhead wishes she'd stayed in in ben now.

Ben or Todd or Phillip or in any other place the the cutie Indie boys library, or crazy GFs coffee shop
One of the most basic rules for survival is never upset someone wearing Black Leather - This is why PETA never throws paint on Hells Angels.

Jander

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #245 on: 22 Jan 2009, 18:53 »

I'm pretty sure Dora is just messing around with her, and i'm hoping maybe marten can somehow get a threesome out of this.

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
  • prisencolinensinainciusol
« Reply #246 on: 22 Jan 2009, 18:56 »

You're not living vicariously through a webcomic character, are you?

syshonblast

• Not quite a lurker
  • The dog says: "I am hungry. I want to eat a dream"
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #247 on: 22 Jan 2009, 18:56 »

I don't want the new girl to stick around.  Why? She's outside the mainstream age-range.

Everyone in the comic is in their later 20's, and the one former main character (Steve's ex, whatsherface) was effectively omitted for being unable to cope with maturity.  Despite the immature actions or oddities that Faye, Dora, and Raven sometimes bring (yeah, I said Faye...anyone with that much angst without proper ways to channel it has much to learn and room to grow-up, and Dora, though she has some issues with relationship paranoia, at least runs and owns a profitable business...), these characters ARE mature.  Even Hanners can live it up on her own, and is old enough to be over the immature-college age range.
There's a little bit of Faye-ness in all of us...just waiting to bust out and turn innocent body parts into creamed corn.

ThePrettyMonster

• Emoticontraindication
  • :P
« Reply #248 on: 22 Jan 2009, 19:12 »

I don't want the new girl to stick around.  Why? She's outside the mainstream age-range.

Everyone in the comic is in their later 20's, and the one former main character (Steve's ex, whatsherface) was effectively omitted for being unable to cope with maturity.  Despite the immature actions or oddities that Faye, Dora, and Raven sometimes bring (yeah, I said Faye...anyone with that much angst without proper ways to channel it has much to learn and room to grow-up, and Dora, though she has some issues with relationship paranoia, at least runs and owns a profitable business...), these characters ARE mature.  Even Hanners can live it up on her own, and is old enough to be over the immature-college age range.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I think adding a college girl would turn this into something of ABC Family... Like that stupid show, Greek
Addicted to QC since August 14th 2007. Thank you, Noelle Wells!

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #249 on: 22 Jan 2009, 19:40 »

Fighter would be proud.

Swordity!

I bet that Redhead wishes she'd stayed in in ben now.

Depending on how much Ben liked it, I bet he does, too.

You're not living vicariously through a webcomic character, are you?

No.

Unfortunately.

Dammit.

I don't want the new girl to stick around.  Why? She's outside the mainstream age-range.

Well...Steve does like 'em YOUNG...

And that's all I have to say about that.

For now.

S
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up