THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 23:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT January 26-30  (Read 112844 times)

midnight hobo

Re: WCT January 26-30
« Reply #200 on: 28 Jan 2009, 01:43 »

January 27: Oh what you saaaa-ay!

idonthaveorgans

• Not quite a lurker
    • twistedlittledreams
« Reply #201 on: 28 Jan 2009, 02:22 »

amazing punchline. it's made my morning.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #202 on: 28 Jan 2009, 02:24 »

Maybe the same will be done with Dora. Maybe we find out something about her past, and who knows, maybe we will love her for her faults too.
We already did. I forget when it was, but basically it's an inferiority complex due to Sven being more popular than her in high school.
Er, not exactly. It's an inferiority complex fueled by girls pretending to be friends with Dora to get into her house so they could sneak into Sven's room for make-outs. So instead of a 'pure' Jan Brady Complex, Dora actually has a reason to feel "second best". Which Sven didn't help later by poaching Dora's friends and doing the (to quote David Bowie) wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am* with them, which ended the friendships.

And kgbisouttogetme, I can't begin to describe how pissed I was that those toys came out when I was too old for anyone to give some of them to me, and too young to have the nerve to buy them for myself. Truly, childhood is wasted on children.
If it makes you feel any better, I had them when I was little and LOVED them!! We had dino/people-wars all the time! It was awesome.
Strangely enough, no, it doesn't. I started to add that I'd read the paint on those toys caused cancer, but I'm better than that. I think.

*I thought referencing "Suffragette City" to be particularly appropriate. If QC were Alley McBeal (Thankfully, it's not), "Suffragette City" would be Sven's theme song. http://www.lyricsfreak.com/d/david+bowie/suffragette+city_20036917.html
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2009, 02:26 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Dagdason

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #203 on: 28 Jan 2009, 02:25 »

Ooooh, man. I've been in those kinds of situations before. :lol:

Malek

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #204 on: 28 Jan 2009, 03:08 »

Wow,i wonder how this will play out.

I see the college girl running fast or Dora and Martin trying to talk to her,or maybe everyone just sits there.

Manix

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #205 on: 28 Jan 2009, 03:10 »

I understand how Dora feels (not the whole secrelty asking a SF out behind your back thing) I too have sufferred from an inferiority complex, and her whole relationship with Marten has given me some insight into her character. I'm willing to bet that the entire reason she went goth in the first place was because of Sven and his actions with her supposed friends (most of whom viewed her as a stepping stone to Sven). She finally figured "here's some friends who won't dump me for my brother."

Of course, the normal activities of these goths eventually became to much for her, plus her growing up and seperating herself from her brother helped her leave the goth phase behind. I can see the slow regrowing of her blonde hair another sign that she's really putting Sven behind her.

Say what you will about Sven, he's been right a few times recently, and is good at standing up for himself, but he's an asshole, nothing will change that, and I can see his "relationship" with Faye going downhill soon if it doesn't change. Maybe the occassional bit of random sex is "healthy" (but I won't start a debate there) but a pure fuck-buddies relationship is not. If anything, this may end up making Faye worse.

Conco

« Reply #206 on: 28 Jan 2009, 03:38 »

hah, maybe a little obvious but still a nicely crafted joke

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #207 on: 28 Jan 2009, 03:45 »

The one time I read a comic's title beforehand it spoils my LOL-by-surprise-moment..
I'll take a sausage superior to any burger ... AND EAT IT!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #208 on: 28 Jan 2009, 03:47 »

Be honest, Jeph. You didn't want to actually come up with a name for the restaurant.

Jokes aside, fuck, I hate coincidences like that.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #209 on: 28 Jan 2009, 03:56 »

I'm quite certain that, had I read the comic's title before the comic like I usually do, I wouldn't have been as surprised/laughed that much as I did.

Thank goodness I didn't.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #210 on: 28 Jan 2009, 04:14 »

Jeph, thanks for my morning chuckle.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #211 on: 28 Jan 2009, 04:29 »

Oh, the poor things.

WE ARE AMUSED AT THEIR SUFFRING JEPH KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

Wyr

« Reply #212 on: 28 Jan 2009, 05:13 »

So, Dora's gonna get something in her food that she didn't order... and Marty's Mezze Penne Rigate will spell out a seven digit number.

Alphalpha

« Reply #213 on: 28 Jan 2009, 05:21 »

How many people actually drop things when they're surprised? I've kind of jerked and throw stuff in the air, but I've never lost motor functions in my hands and just dropped stuff.

I'm kind of disappointed at this strip actually. I knew College Girl would be back, but I hoped it would be for more drama, not cheap comedy. C'est la vie, I suppose.

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #214 on: 28 Jan 2009, 05:34 »

Yeah sadly Jeph screwed up the bullet time in todays strip. So instead of an elaborately animated slow motion akimbo action scene we only get a freeze frame of the second they got ready to pull their guns (hence dropping the other stuff). God dammit, Jeph.
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2009, 06:14 by Headwoünd »
I'll take a sausage superior to any burger ... AND EAT IT!

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
« Reply #215 on: 28 Jan 2009, 05:36 »

I see the college girl running fast or Dora and Martin trying to talk to her,or maybe everyone just sits there.

all of which leads to a threesome.

lol
Help bring back the dragons!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #216 on: 28 Jan 2009, 05:51 »

I'm kind of disappointed at this strip actually. I knew College Girl would be back, but I hoped it would be for more drama, not cheap comedy. C'est la vie, I suppose.

Wow, somebody's impatient today. Give the poor guy a break.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

BryanP

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #217 on: 28 Jan 2009, 06:08 »

It doesn't mean you break up or get divorced.  If you think it does then you have unrealistic expectations of love.
Ever checked the divorce ratings ? Thats why they are so high. People dont realize that the next marriage will just be like this one, they will only have to learn that lesson again.

See "unrealistic expectations" comment above. 

It's like friends I know who float from one relationship to the next.  As soon as the "Oh darling!  I've missed you so!" phase wears off they think that means the relationship itself is over.  Sad, really.

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #218 on: 28 Jan 2009, 06:13 »

If anything, this may end up making Faye worse.

Oooh, I can only hope!

Tease.

As soon as the "Oh darling!  I've missed you so!" phase wears off they think that means the relationship itself is over.  Sad, really.

Back when I was younger, I nailed a lot of hotties on the rebound who thought that way.  Who says you can't benefit from other peoples' stupidity?

S
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

mechapirate

« Reply #219 on: 28 Jan 2009, 06:54 »

Wow, it's been awhile since I laughed out loud to this comic. I should have seen this coming, but it genuinely took me by surprise. Thank you for making my day that much better QC.

ProtusMose

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #220 on: 28 Jan 2009, 07:13 »

all of which leads to a threesome.

lol

Exactly.

dps

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #221 on: 28 Jan 2009, 07:23 »

We get plenty of drama in the comic already;  it's good to see more comedy.

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #222 on: 28 Jan 2009, 07:25 »

Agree.

I read this comic for the humor.  I want drama?  I go to work.

S
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
« Reply #223 on: 28 Jan 2009, 07:38 »

Agree.

S

shwing! Quote of the day.

This is an online comic, not days of our fucking lives.

i liked the mix. It broken the depression pacing of the last few days.
Help bring back the dragons!

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #224 on: 28 Jan 2009, 08:28 »

There's only one thing to say about this one:

:-D

Shok Xone Studios

• Wasn't he also "Vigo the Butch"?
    • ShokXoneStudios.com
« Reply #225 on: 28 Jan 2009, 09:05 »

"That's the same sound that went through my head, only a hundred times louder, and in the background, ten thousand chimps were shitting."

– Lewis Black, as always, summing up things better than I ever could.
SHOK XONE STUDIOS.com
Art is love. Love is destructive. That's what I told the police when I blew up the museum.

oh look I has arts for sale

Mr. Penston

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #226 on: 28 Jan 2009, 09:25 »

Agree.

S

shwing! Quote of the day.

This is an online comic, not days of our fucking lives.

i liked the mix. It broken the depression pacing of the last few days.

I'd say that this drama is being done in a pretty humorous way. I mean, she asks him out, then she goes to Dora, then they come to her, and next theres probably going to be an equally cheesy/soap opera-esque plot twist.

THATS FUNNY!

Antsan

• Not quite a lurker
  • der Skizzenhafte
« Reply #227 on: 28 Jan 2009, 09:29 »

I liked the comic, although I don't like how they just drop their things. Clenching your fists in anger/surprise/fear might be more appropriate.
Bad English? Sorry, I'm from Germany...

The serious side of life is just a childish imagination.

michi-love

« Reply #228 on: 28 Jan 2009, 10:01 »

.......Poor darling.
I think she should just go home and go to sleep. Maybe tomorrow'll be better for her?

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #229 on: 28 Jan 2009, 10:01 »

:lol:

THAT was funny.  Made suffering through the rest of it more tolerable.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

emmaleigh

« Reply #230 on: 28 Jan 2009, 10:27 »

ummmm... just to let you know dinosaurs and humans didnt live at the same time
...THAT'S the biggest inaccuracy you can find in that picture?
That made me LOL, literally.

The thing is, in the realm of the continuity of Dino-Riders, that's not even an inaccuracy. I just looked up the Wikipedia article, and lo and behold, time travel is involved. And ALIENS.

Oh, and on a comic-related note, if we get one more Dora/Marten fight without Dora coming to any sort of realization about herself at all and trying to improve herself, then I will be incredibly irritated. That just doesn't seem realistic. And I really do think Faye/Sven would have struck up something more serious than just casual sex by now, especially with how much Sven wanted Faye in old strips (I was reading old strips last night and he really genuinely liked her!). Anyway I do predict Marten can't deal with Dora's ridiculosity after a couple more months (real-time) and they break up and he gets with either red-hair chick or, less likely, Hannelore. I don't think Hannelore's anti-sex attitude would play very well with Marten, but it could be something they work on together. She's almost too childlike for that to be a good thing, though.

Sprocket

Re: WCT January 28
« Reply #231 on: 28 Jan 2009, 10:43 »

Man, Jeph set us up for relationship failure there...bastard.  But the funny was good in the end.  I really don't understand how Dora could be so insecure about Martin...she's REALLY hot, she owns her own business... Girl has got it goin' ON!  The only explanation I can figure is that she has been seriously relationship burned in the past.  I'm thinking a row of cheaters or her parents cheated on eachother or something. 

chrisa1

• Plantmonster
« Reply #232 on: 28 Jan 2009, 10:48 »

Yes, it's funny today and all, but is this like the smallest town ever? How does random girl show up in *3 different locations* within the past week of strips?

She must be a secret android with a homing device on Marten.

ecstaticjoy

• I like math
Re: WCT January 28
« Reply #233 on: 28 Jan 2009, 10:49 »

Man, Jeph set us up for relationship failure there...bastard.  But the funny was good in the end.  I really don't understand how Dora could be so insecure about Martin...she's REALLY hot, she owns her own business... Girl has got it goin' ON!  The only explanation I can figure is that she has been seriously relationship burned in the past.  I'm thinking a row of cheaters or her parents cheated on eachother or something. 

Maybe she's insecure about Martin because he was really into Faye when they got together, then very easily switched his affection to Dora. Maybe she subconsciously knows he could do the same to her.

VicDor

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #234 on: 28 Jan 2009, 10:54 »

Obviously a new character is being introduced to compensate for Ellen and Natasha. Wonder how it'll turn out...

...Wood?
<Clever and funny quote>

emmalee

« Reply #235 on: 28 Jan 2009, 11:08 »

Obviously a new character is being introduced to compensate for Ellen and Natasha. Wonder how it'll turn out...

I'm thinking the same thing - she'll probably keep coming back. I'm just wondering whether she'll be absorbed into the circle of friends, or if she's just going to be a constant source of humorous discord. I vote option B.

Seems like the comic is settling too much into its own little world. Shit needs to get stirred up.

Golani

« Reply #236 on: 28 Jan 2009, 12:05 »

Haha, i bet the woman thinks that Dora and Martin are stalking her to murder her. Dora's reaction and Martins "I believe" will be more of a "WTF?"

Still laughing at this. The woman probably pissed her pants.

weirdbeard

• Plantmonster
    • Rants and Giggles
« Reply #237 on: 28 Jan 2009, 12:58 »

it occurs to me that with the recent skip forward to winter climes that Ellen may be back from her semester at sea.
perhaps a return of Stevellen?
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.
http://rantsandgiggles.blogspot.com

SexRaptor

« Reply #238 on: 28 Jan 2009, 13:05 »

I laughed so hard at this today it was ridiculous.

Thoughts on other people's thoughts...

1: I can't imagine caring less about them dropping their stuff in shock - it's a well established gag in comedy, get over it.
2: Small town or not, girl showing up was comedy gold, and there's this little thing called coincidence. I've had stranger encounters and i'm in a city of a million people, so.

'I'm just wondering whether she'll be absorbed into the circle of friends, or if she's just going to be a constant source of humorous discord. I vote option B.'

3: I like option B as well - there's been a lot less funny and a lot more drama of late. Someone to stir shit up would be nice.

Heranje

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #239 on: 28 Jan 2009, 13:15 »

Poor Unfortunate College Girl.

I hope she at least gets a good tip out of this whole experience.

CycloneChibi

« Reply #240 on: 28 Jan 2009, 13:27 »

Oh, and on a comic-related note, if we get one more Dora/Marten fight without Dora coming to any sort of realization about herself at all and trying to improve herself, then I will be incredibly irritated. That just doesn't seem realistic. And I really do think Faye/Sven would have struck up something more serious than just casual sex by now, especially with how much Sven wanted Faye in old strips (I was reading old strips last night and he really genuinely liked her!). Anyway I do predict Marten can't deal with Dora's ridiculosity after a couple more months (real-time) and they break up and he gets with either red-hair chick or, less likely, Hannelore. I don't think Hannelore's anti-sex attitude would play very well with Marten, but it could be something they work on together. She's almost too childlike for that to be a good thing, though.

This.  I really don't think we'd be seeing this many fights between Dora and Marten without it eventually leading up to something bigger.  Dora needs to stop taking out her insecurities on Marten.  I've honestly disliked Dora ever since the whole "sdfasdnfsk Faye is just sleeping with Sven to get back at us!!!!11 fasjfjadf" crap.  I've known people similar to Dora in real life, and they are an emotional drain.

mister mime

« Reply #241 on: 28 Jan 2009, 13:50 »

...Wood?

ha

improbability driver

« Reply #242 on: 28 Jan 2009, 14:42 »

I feel as if there has been a communication failure here, because I wasn't talking about continuity errors in the slightest. It was more to do with my finding Dora and Hanners annoying on occasion, but loving them anyway. But, uh, I guess I agree that there are in fact a few QC continuity errors and life has surprisingly not ended.

Oh well, moving on. In other news, comics! I hear they are pretty good.

Um, why would you assume my comment had anything to do with your comment? 

...because...you...quoted me? Whatever, it apparently did not. I again cite a big ol' communication failure.

Anyway! Hooray for the departure from Marten and Dora: Do All Their Fights Go Like This? I second college girl becoming a semi-regular character. Marten hasn't been properly stalked in a while.

VicDor

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #243 on: 28 Jan 2009, 15:08 »

So I guess she'll be replacing Angus as the new comedy punchbag? Or Raven? Hanners? No, we're seeing Hanners constantly... Maybe Jeph's gunna kill her off now. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

God, so many characters have supposedly disappeared, but it's just that time moves so damn slowly in QC. I miss Steve and Jimbo. And the Tequila Monster. And I think it's a shame Jeph wrote Sara off back in the beginning. Wow, I just can't let go of anything, can I?
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2009, 15:12 by VicDor »
<Clever and funny quote>

satsujin24

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #244 on: 28 Jan 2009, 15:41 »

Re: 1328.... what the hell does marten have to sigh about?

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*
« Reply #245 on: 28 Jan 2009, 15:51 »

Whoa, this is early.
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

Mark7

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • My sandbox is crunchy
    • My Music
« Reply #246 on: 28 Jan 2009, 15:53 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Did we just get two episodes in one day?  :?
Will be at your local record store this Friday handing out the hot dickings

chrisa1

• Plantmonster
« Reply #247 on: 28 Jan 2009, 15:54 »

And how did Pintsize get into Hanners' bed? Actually, there's probably less mystery to that one - Pintsize seems to be able to get himself into almost anywhere.

circa_90

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #248 on: 28 Jan 2009, 15:55 »

He's sick of that crazy spaz of a girlfriend he has.

Shadic

• Shadic's Website
« Reply #249 on: 28 Jan 2009, 15:57 »

Poor.. Everybody.

Also, comic needs more Steve. Things are totally happier then. Excluding the Drunk-Steve parts. He went from basically being Marten's "Player 2" to... Well, where the hell is he?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up