THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 90   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread II: Beyond Blogosphere.  (Read 748295 times)

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
Re: Blog Thread II: Beyond Blogosphere.
« Reply #950 on: 03 Mar 2009, 06:34 »

Oh, I forgot to mention, but my roommate and I found a notice that our gas was going to be turned off for non-payment. This confused the hell out of us because our apartment doesn't have anything that runs on gas.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #951 on: 03 Mar 2009, 06:51 »

Oh, didn't you get the memo? With the increasing destruction of the world's forests, everyone has to pay to breathe now. You have five business days to honour your outstanding oxygen bill before your apartment is sealed air-tight. You will be billed for the use of any oxygen contained within the apartment at this time. Should you be trapped inside the apartment at the time of its sealing and die of asphyxiation, the company will notify your next of kin and will expect payment of any money still owing. Please note that if it becomes necessary to visit your apartment to remove any bodies post-sealing, a $100 inconvenience fee will be incurred.

If you have any questions about your outstanding bill, or wish to speak to a customer service representative, please call the number listed on your most recent oxygen bill. Thankyou!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #952 on: 03 Mar 2009, 07:07 »

Wait, I thought McCain didn't win the election.
Obama promised us free oxygen!

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #953 on: 03 Mar 2009, 09:18 »

So, there is a crazy lady/voo doo preistess on the bus this morning. Because I am lazy and don't feel like retyping the detail, here's the conversation between one of my best friends and me:

andlemonade: There is a crazy lady on the bus. Dressed in all African garb.
andlemonade: Spitting and talking about the devil
thedarkgodpookie: The white devil or the regular devil?
andlemonade: And saying "get that dog out of me...spitsnotspit that shaddy bastard thing spitsnotspitsnot get it out! Get it out! Get it out!.....brother jesus"
andlemonade: I'd assume just the regular devil. She hasn't said anything otherwise
andlemonade: And now she is humming loudly
andlemonade: I am pretty sure she is crazy
andlemonade: And now she is spittalking again

I'm only a slight bit concerned that she only started doing this when I got on the bus. I found my septum tusk, and have been wearing it again. So maybe the bone in my nose caused her to think I'm the devil? I've heard worse.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #954 on: 03 Mar 2009, 12:27 »

I hate health insurance companies.

Why did it take a full month, three phone calls, a letter, and seven different representatives from two different companies (my insurance company and the company they contract with for some prescription claims) to tell me that I simply sent in the wrong set of prescription claim forms and that my prescription coverage isn't actually contracted through the other company?

So now they're mailing me the correct form (I don't have a fax machine), and then--hopefully!--if I don't fuck it up, I'll maybe get reimbursed for 80% of one $217 30-day supply of this stupid asthma medication.

Maybe.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #955 on: 03 Mar 2009, 13:00 »

Dear guys,

So the other contestants on the show with me have pretty much unanimously voted me the favourite. I am pretty sure this was caused primarily by me playing "Hallelujah" as interpreted by Jeff Buckley, except on an old-ass acoustic instead of a reverbed-to-fuck Telecaster.

The guys on the show have been pretty disappointing. They're friendly, for sure, and everybody has great senses of humor, but in terms of competition, only the girls make me nervous. And only two or three of them make me nervous. It's kindof disappointing. I kindof want to watch my sister graduate in May, but if I get really far in the show, it'll not only fuck with those plans, it'll fuck with my plans to move to Alaska.

Bedtime.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #956 on: 03 Mar 2009, 15:40 »

Guys! I got an ugly orange delta-tone bass today! Its ugly and great and beautiful and I love it soooo much!

And I got a peavey amp!

(And I have a friend named Sara[without an H])
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #957 on: 03 Mar 2009, 15:44 »

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Also, ugly orange basses are just badass by definition.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #958 on: 03 Mar 2009, 15:49 »

Whoooooo
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #959 on: 03 Mar 2009, 15:52 »

Some hella crap happened to me the last week with my university applications but I've finally made a big girl decision and I'm taking a course I don't really want but is at the better school. Lesser of two evils methinks. Also it'll give me a chance to get a transfer in the first semester, and I'll never forgive myself if I don't try that.

We'll see how this plays out in a few months, I guess.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #960 on: 03 Mar 2009, 16:17 »

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Also, ugly orange basses are just badass by definition.

I wish I could take some pictures of it, but sadly I'm posting from my phone, so no pictures.

But it is so badass I am pretty sure it breaks the laws of badassness.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #961 on: 03 Mar 2009, 18:28 »

Dear Blog Thread

So I've had my first alcoholic drink tonight with dinner.  It was....underwhelming.  I had a Sam Adam's, thinking it would be great after having seen so many commercials saying it was the king of beers, thinking it would provide a good taste.

It tasted like bad church communion wine.  My cousin told me to try her Blue Moon, but it just tasted like watered down Sam Adams.  Am I doing something wrong?

Desperately Demanding Drunk

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #962 on: 03 Mar 2009, 18:37 »

Wait, is it your first ever alcoholic drink, or just your first with a meal? I'm confused!

Anyway do not expect to like beer the first time around. It took me a year of occasionally drinking beer to actually acquire a taste for it. Expect it to taste like dog-water for a while yet, but just keep at it if it's important to you.

tweetles

« Reply #963 on: 03 Mar 2009, 18:39 »

Beer really doesnt taste great at all. Start of with some kind of candy drink, way too easy to drink.
And Ive never really found alcohol taste great with food, but then i could be weird

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #964 on: 03 Mar 2009, 18:46 »

Beer and wine matching is not very hard, and most of the time doesn't produce ridiculously noticeable results, but it really can add a nice synergy to a meal.

Oh ew I just said synergy

Dear Blog Thread,

Today was the day we got the bulk of  our liquor deliveries in to the hotel. We barely got enough to last us through a week, so there's still plenty to be ordered next week as well, but the grand total of todays deliveries was something like $AUS 600 000, which didn't included kegs of beer either. We had basically all the dudes on though and they're all stronger dudes with hella shoulders than me so they smashed it and I was reasonably helpful, but I'm fucking drained. The worst part was I don't have any shorts or workboots at the current place I'm living so I had to do it in jeans and sneakers. On the upside though, delivery shifts like this are great for just getting to know the dudes so I've managed to cut down a pretty big percentage of the people I was not really comfortable around yet.

Looking at my timetable for the opening week, I am getting shifts in the cocktail bar aw hell yeah

At the moment we will just be working from a really set cocktail list that we won't be able to deviate from, and we haven't gotten anything in that we didn't have before but we have a pretty good input as to what we want so I am gunning to get Amaretto Alexanders,  Rasberry Martinis and Negronis all put on the list once shit settles down.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #965 on: 03 Mar 2009, 19:10 »

Jesus. How often do we talk, especially about my alcoholism, and you didn't say anything to me about this. Pshaw.

Anyway, a lot of people don't like beer. And there are TONS of different kinds of beers out there. You just have to find out what works for you. I personally love wheat beer and German beers.

As for fruity drinks, rum/vodka and orange juice, vodka, mountain dew, and lemonade, vodka and lemonade, sparks.

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #966 on: 03 Mar 2009, 19:25 »

Dear Blog thread, I used clippers on my head and accidentally took a great big chunk out of my side levers. So I had to level them up.

Now I look really silly.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #967 on: 03 Mar 2009, 19:46 »

Oh man oh man I went from not knowing even where to start in Keiff's beer thread to buying kind of expensive yummy micros.

So my favorite pairing has been the Grey Goose Oatmeal Stout with a creamy chicken wild rice soup. So hearty! Then there's the Southampton Double White, which I added lemon to and would have been really good with fish. There's a coriander taste that makes your mouth feel kind of funky though. Then there's the Drop Top Amber Ale which is the single smoothest beer I have ever tasted--because they use milk sugar and honey malt they say. IN FACT I AM GOING OUT WITH LIZBIFF IN HALF AN HOUR TO MAYBE DRINK A BEER (FUCK YES) AND ALSO SEE GODDAMN ALAN SPARHAWK WHAT)
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #968 on: 03 Mar 2009, 19:49 »

The extra letter: Eat oatmeal.

Everybody just skip over the rest of this post because its just more of me bitching about my life.

I hate my job. A lot. There is nothing there that even makes me the slightest bit happy. I feel like I'm being picked on. I don't feel comfortable going in. And I don't know if I am actually being picked on, or if because I am so stressed out and so ready to just die already, that everytime someone says something to me I just hear insults. I don't know. I got off early tonight, and I have tomorrow off, and already I am fucking crying at the thought of going in on Thursday. Its pathetic. It shouldn't be like this.
And fuck. It's not my job. I know its not. Its my fucking life. I am so stressed out. I just need a break. I wish I could just disapear for awhile. I just want to stop exisiting. I don't want to be here anymore. I don't want to be alive. I am just ready for this to be over already.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #969 on: 03 Mar 2009, 19:51 »

There are two approaches to appreciating alcohol. One is to start off on the obnoxious premixes, alco-pops and the like, and then move on to basic spirit mixers and entry level domestic beers, then slowly setting your tastes higher and higher and getting a feel for what you like.

I personally feel this is the  cowards way and developed an appreciation for alcohol by drinking the nastiest, cheapest beers, and the dodgiest liquors on the rocks. Once you know what a bad scotch tastes like without mixer, you can really appreciate what a good scotch tastes like, this applies to all spirits although don't try drinking gin by itself that is a pretty bad idea. Once you get a feel for basic spirits, feel free to move up to cocktails. Getting to cocktails only after I really developed my tastes for individual spirits basically left me enamoured with them for the rest of my life. Getting into Gin is pretty much just figuring out your favourite way to have a  Gordons Gin and Tonic (lemon or lime? Muddled, bruised or squeezed?) and then work up to better and better gins. Don't be afraid to try every method of how a G&T can be prepared when you start on a new gin. I find Gordons quite palatable if made right with muddled lemon, but Tanqueray is indisputably improved by squeezed lime. Eventually you might want to try a martini if it turns out you actually like Gin, and BAM. It's inside you like a disease.

Everyone is different though and you don't even need to learn to enjoy the taste of alcohol if you don't want. Plenty of people aren't willing to put in the time to force themselves to understand the subtleties of something and while I might call you a luddite for it, I'm equally guilty of the same thing when it comes to plenty of other aspects of life.
« Last Edit: 03 Mar 2009, 19:57 by Hat »

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #970 on: 03 Mar 2009, 20:33 »

This is pretty much what I did.  I drank Milwaukee's Best Ice, Bud Light, and dozens of nameless handles of gutrot my first year of college.  Now I drink micros and Belgians and the occasional G&T, but I have to see the bottle being used before someone makes me one (or any mixed drink).  I have not really tried pairing beers with anything yet, though.  I haven't had the time or money to plan a meal like that in quite a while.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #971 on: 03 Mar 2009, 20:46 »

... but I have to see the bottle being used before someone makes me one (or any mixed drink). 

We once had some people from Ireland in our shop for a training program.  On their last night, we took them out for a big dinner.  Afterwards, one of the guys insisted that we should have Irish Coffee for dessert.  We all thought that this was good idea, but as the waiter was walking away, the Irishman commented that he hoped that they had "good Irish whiskey" for the drink.  When the waiter came back, he presented an unopened bottle of Bushmills Irish whiskey to the Irishman, for his approval, as a waiter would present a bottle of wine before opening it. 

And the Irish Coffee was excellent. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #972 on: 03 Mar 2009, 20:51 »

The best way to really learn to pair beers and wines is to go to fancy restaurants that match your drinks to your meal for you. It can be a little bit harder to find a place that will match beers for you, but if you take note of the vintage, brand, and grapes used (for wine), and the type of beer (is it a lager or an ale? What sort of ale/lager is it? Is it a barley beer, a wheat beer, or something else? Is it dark and malty or light and fruity?) and take note across various meals as to why certain drinks seem to work best. It might take a while for you, I picked up rudimentary matching skills for beer working in a brew joint, but still have no idea how to really match wine apart from the red meat = red wine, white meat/seafood = white wine thing, which I have been assured is by no means a hard and fast rule.

So it will probably cost you a bit to learn this kind of stuff, but you will get some excellent meals out of it and you can apply it at home for excellent lady impression points. Wine is better for this of course, unless you know a girl who is pretty into beer.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #973 on: 03 Mar 2009, 21:46 »

I'm mostly trying to avoid have someone pour me something with Rikaloff or Aristocrat or some other plastic bottled nonsense in it when I do that.  I don't drink a lot of liquor (read: maybe 2 mixed drinks this past year, I don't bother with unadulterated stuff because I have a very hard time not gagging), so it's not like it has to be fantastic, I just want to avoid drinking something that was originally green and may or may not have been fermented in a prison toilet.

As far as beer pairings go I have been hoping to experiment this summer.  The Brewer's Art is down the street from my school and they are apparently very good at that sort of thing, so I'm thinking of maybe harassing them for pointers.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #974 on: 03 Mar 2009, 23:16 »

You know, I had the same attitude toward beer and other b00zez as Blue Kitty when I first started drinking. First thing I ever drank was a Kölsch, and man, I hated it. And Kölsch is a really easy beer to drink. I kept hating alcohol for a long while, and then suddenly my tastes had a massive 360 switch. Where I had once only enjoyed sugary-tasting stuff, I went on to enjoy the subtle differences between different brands of the same type of beer, and different types of beer. It's definitely an acquired taste.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #975 on: 03 Mar 2009, 23:21 »

I did drink one beer and Alan's and my eyes met at one point and it was during a Low song OH MY GOD
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #976 on: 03 Mar 2009, 23:21 »

IN FACT I AM GOING OUT WITH LIZBIFF IN HALF AN HOUR TO MAYBE DRINK A BEER (FUCK YES) AND ALSO SEE GODDAMN ALAN SPARHAWK WHAT)

WHAT

(She did this.)

(It was fabulous.)
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Gilead

« Reply #977 on: 03 Mar 2009, 23:42 »

Dear jerk thread. I am feeling really really down, and now I can't even order a pizza because there's no fucking places close enough to even deliver.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #978 on: 03 Mar 2009, 23:43 »

Dude, I know!
Living in the Hills, while peaceful, kinda sucks, because you have to drive for miles to get close to civilization.
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #979 on: 03 Mar 2009, 23:48 »

Dear jerk thread. I am feeling really really down, and now I can't even order a pizza because there's no fucking places close enough to even deliver.
I've actually found that eating really greasy stuff tends to worsen my moods.

Eat some yogurt or something. You've got yogurt in Oz, right?
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #980 on: 04 Mar 2009, 00:51 »

Guys I'm really incredibly angry! I have no idea why either, I'm just full of rage. Right now it's taking a good portion of my resolve not to pick up the keyboard and just smash it through the monitor. The fact that I have no clue as to why I feel this way is only making me even more irrationally angry. This is a really terrible way to feel.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

tweetles

« Reply #981 on: 04 Mar 2009, 01:20 »

Damn that sucks, have you tried going for a run or something? when I get all agro I like to beat the crap out of my bed or couch with my pillow. You get rid of that violent energy without doing any damage.

I just cooked a big mean feed, and now im not hungry in the slightest. tear.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #982 on: 04 Mar 2009, 01:25 »

Jimmy Squid, I am sorry you are angry. I hate to be the guy quoting a Star Wars book, but I've found this advice has really helped me a bunch of times in life:

"Every feeling has a root. It could be coming from any number of sources. One has to consider the emotional basis, the physical basis, the mental, psychological, even physiological basis. How are you feeling? Have you been getting enough sleep? Did you see/hear/read something that could have triggered it? How are your relationships with people right now? Could it be something in your body chemistry/hormonal cycle (men can often have their own)?"

I'm bad at explaining these things, but like... it could be any number of things. And while right now the irrational nature of it just makes it worse, it usually helps me to stop and consider every possible explanation.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #983 on: 04 Mar 2009, 01:28 »

I am still continually surprised at the fact that my coworker cannot do the simplest of tasks related to our computer system. Sometimes I wonder how she was able to do the night audit before I got this job.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #984 on: 04 Mar 2009, 03:52 »

but still have no idea how to really match wine apart from the red meat = red wine, white meat/seafood = white wine thing, which I have been assured is by no means a hard and fast rule.
Also, remember that having red wine with fish makes you a communist.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #985 on: 04 Mar 2009, 05:09 »

Jimmy, I think maybe your body is just restless. I'd say go for a good run, punch the fuck out of a pillow, do 500 pushups, any strenuous physical activity. I get the same way if I haven't gotten outside for a while or done something physical.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #986 on: 04 Mar 2009, 06:59 »

I got a 0 on yet another pre-calculus quiz.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #987 on: 04 Mar 2009, 07:13 »

Dear bløgg thræd.

It's vacation this entire week, and all I do is sitting at home writing and writing and writing. My own fault for waiting till the last minute to write this paper, but still, damn it's boring. I make up for the boringness by writing the paper as if I was the guru on theatre in town. I'm pretentious as hell. Hopefully, it scorez gradez.

Jens, are Oslo opperating with an entirely different grading system than we do, or did you get 6 on the paper and the poster?

I guess media is pretty much the same as drama. You don't get good grades for making something good, you get good grades for making something weird and then writing a paper about it where you tell the teacher exactly how it's deep and fills all the teaching goals.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #988 on: 04 Mar 2009, 07:55 »

Jens, Lens Flare

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #989 on: 04 Mar 2009, 10:27 »

Jimmy Squid, I am sorry you are angry. I hate to be the guy quoting a Star Wars book, but I've found this advice has really helped me a bunch of times in life:

"Every feeling has a root. It could be coming from any number of sources. One has to consider the emotional basis, the physical basis, the mental, psychological, even physiological basis. How are you feeling? Have you been getting enough sleep? Did you see/hear/read something that could have triggered it? How are your relationships with people right now? Could it be something in your body chemistry/hormonal cycle (men can often have their own)?"

I'm bad at explaining these things, but like... it could be any number of things. And while right now the irrational nature of it just makes it worse, it usually helps me to stop and consider every possible explanation.
That's not Star Wars, that's REBT. And it works, mostly, if you're the sort whose emotions don't run roughshod over your entire mind.

Also,
Jimmy, I think maybe your body is just restless. I'd say go for a good run, punch the fuck out of a pillow, do 500 pushups, any strenuous physical activity. I get the same way if I haven't gotten outside for a while or done something physical.
I don't have the data in front of me but I'm certain that I've read studies showing no real therapeutic value to "letting your anger out", specifically through violent sorts of behavior ala punching an inanimate object. I'm fairly certain they showed an increase in anger. Exercise, I don't know. The sorts of neurochemical activity that goes in with exercise could come into play, theoretically. But unless not exercising is the source of your anger I wouldn't think that "channeling" it towards productive ends really addresses the problem in the medium or long term.

*edit - Just my good luck that this blog post on the subject would be published today!
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2009, 10:46 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Kylos

• Obscure cultural reference
    • Myspace?
« Reply #990 on: 04 Mar 2009, 12:49 »

My purse has gone missing.
This means I cannot go out for my friend's birthday tonight, nor see another friend tomorrow who lives quite far away, or do anything to do with money at all. I have no food in my cupboards, and will run out of cigarettes in the next few hours.

God damn.
I hope we mess things up in a huge and beautiful fashion.

Pernix takes the rat and uses it as a peen sock.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #991 on: 04 Mar 2009, 12:58 »

I don't have the data in front of me but I'm certain that I've read studies showing no real therapeutic value to "letting your anger out", specifically through violent sorts of behavior ala punching an inanimate object. I'm fairly certain they showed an increase in anger. Exercise, I don't know. The sorts of neurochemical activity that goes in with exercise could come into play, theoretically.

Eh, the 'punching a pillow' was just there 'cause I couldn't think of any other form of exercise on the fly. I do know that exercise causes your brain to release endorphins, and even if that doesn't work, it might tucker you out enough to where you can sleep off your bad funk. Usually, when I run my anger away, one of the two happens. Other times, I figure out what was upsetting me and then I can fix it, or I think of something or see something that cheers me up.

Purely anecdotal though. I'd love to see any of that Sciency Stuff if you rediscover it.

Dear blog thread,

Today, I became comfortable with the thought that I will probably outlast more than half of the singing-focused contestants on the show. Then again, I am wicked camera-shy, so I might get booted off sooner than I think. Whatever the case, I can outsing most of them, and I am not a very confident person when it comes to performing.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #992 on: 04 Mar 2009, 13:58 »

So I've been working like a... worker, and if I was working tonight then that would make a nine-day run. But I'm not, which makes that sentence marginally less impressive.

Yesterday was pretty fun, I went to a german conference with my A level class and spent the whole day listening to two german people talking about basically everything. It was awesome to realise how I could understand every word, but listening to some of the other attendees talking (I didn't) I also realised that although I'm much better at speaking german than the other two girls in my class, that is only comparative and I'm not actually any good.

But problems started when we tried to get home, because I had to work at 6.30 so we sprinted for the 4.05 train. Caught it fine, and made the first connection, but we got held up for twenty minutes while they took photos of the door. What the hell, guys. So we missed the other connection and I was a half hour late to work. I was majorly stressed because I've never been late to work before but it was fine, they had someone cover for me (first night on the kiosk!) and then it was all ok.

Ooh funny story before I stop filling the thread with vacuous nonsense: when I arrived at work, the lottery machine wasn't working. It didn't recognise that the printer was attached, so it simply would not do anything. Someone came and helped me pull wires out and press buttons in a sporadic manner and eventually the printer reconnected... but then everything was inexplicably in Welsh. Even though we live in the welsh borders it's surprising how few people speak enough welsh to read error messages on a lottery machine (it's not surprising at all, no one speaks welsh). So we had to reset it. Therefore for half the evening, the machine was broken, and the other half it was welsh, and I can't decide which was worse.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #993 on: 04 Mar 2009, 15:29 »

Guys, today I snapped at the awful coworker and now I think she realizes that I hate her. This is a Good Thing. Maybe it will help her also realize that she is an incompetent buffoon.

One of my favorite coworkers is in Puerto Rico right now and I am jealous. I want to go someplace warm with lots of sunshine.

Also, a (different) boy asked me to go to some bar to see him play bass and drums on a gameboy (seriously, this is nerdcore awesome) and he got excited when I said I would go. He is cute, so I am excited that he's excited!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #994 on: 04 Mar 2009, 16:13 »

Dudes it is ok! I figured out why I am full of rage!

It turns out I'm just generally unhappy with my life!

I didn't get into uni this year and hence pretty much everyone around me (girlfriend, brother, parents et al.) is kinda disappointed in me and I am as well. I'm vaguely worried about my job since while I am assured that I am doing ok by my immediate superiors I can't help but feel that I am not really performing up to standard and I really don't want to lose this job as it is entirely bearable and I need the money. I need to find someone to move into the third bedroom of my house but the only person my housemate and I know is a friend of his that I really cannot stand because she is a loud, obnoxious moron. Also I am totally crushing on this girl I work with which is really irritating me because I generally don't feel much about people who are not my girlfriend. It doesn't strike me as particularly significant it's just slightly bothersome that I'm feeling guilty about flirting with the girl.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #995 on: 04 Mar 2009, 16:16 »

Blag!

The past few days have been busy.

+ I talked to people and didn't say anything ridiculously stupid!
+ My classes sound interesting.
+ My Auslan (Australian Sign Language) Lecturer is deaf and has a translator, but is also really awesome.
+ I don't have uni again until Tuesday, so I can relax a little today.

- Oh god there were so many 2-hour blocks yesterday and my mind wandered about halfway through them all
- Oh god I have so many assignments and readings to do and I don't have the textbooks and some are due really close together and I will crash and burn and fail everything because I am a lazy, lazy person.
- 11am - 6pm with an hours break in there is an awful long day, then I went and sat around listening to music I don't overly like.
- The girl I know from high school doing the exact same degree as I am is in most of my classes and doesn't want to acknowledge my existence. I didn't really like her all that much but I didn't think I did anything that would make her want to pointedly ignore me, so I am confused.
- The curry I had for dinner last night was underwhelming at best. I miss Sydney curry.

Today I figured I would sleep in and relax for a bit before doing more work on my room. I got up at 9, cleaned out three drawers in the bathroom of all the old makeup in them and put my toiletries in there, tidied up my room some, then unpacked a blanket box full of records, helped move it and a china cabinet and it was only 10:36 by the time I decided to come online and I still have the rest of the day to fill. I am so tired already.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #996 on: 04 Mar 2009, 16:34 »

Also, a (different) boy asked me to go to some bar to see him play bass and drums on a gameboy (seriously, this is nerdcore awesome) and he got excited when I said I would go. He is cute, so I am excited that he's excited!

This. This needs to happen to me. I want cute nerdy boys to ask me on sort-of dates.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
« Reply #997 on: 04 Mar 2009, 17:19 »

Blog thread,

I am studying sculpture at the Cleveland Institute of Art. Our space is a cavernous open cathedral of a factory floor in an old ford production facility. It's a big space with one wall entirely made of windows bottom to top, 26 feet up. Anyhow, two days ago a kestrel got inside. He(she?) proceeded to ram into the windows periodically as he got his bearings in this new interior space, and naturally would not come down to be let out the openable windows. So, we had to catch him some other way. At the suggestion of a local wildlife expert, our professor constructed a cage to hold mice. onto the outside of this cage, we tied dozens of small lassos of twelve pound test fishing line. The idea was after a day or two of no food in the sculpture department, the bird would dive down to ground level to attack the mice we acquired and be snared. Well, early this morning, we (my professor, the technical assistant, a facilities guy and myself) watched and waited while hiding perfectly still as the diminuitive falcon sized up its prey. Sure enough, the bird  came down and tried to get the mice through the cage and got its leg trapped in one of the snares. It was pretty awesome.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #998 on: 04 Mar 2009, 17:31 »

I love my bass!!!

I love it! I plugged it in, and pulled a string, and I literally squeed at the awesome sound it makes. I love it sooo much! And when I started playing Primus came on! This is obviously a sign.

(Either meaning I should quit because I will nearly as good as Les Claypool ever[because he is pretty much the best ever] or that the bass gods are smiling down on me, and I should continue.)

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #999 on: 04 Mar 2009, 17:33 »

the diminuitive falcon sized up its prey

Ooh, did it hover over the box?

Actually probably not, I think they need wind to lean into so they can hover and presumably inside the building wasn't very windy.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 90   Go Up