THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumpster Diving!  (Read 12028 times)

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Dumpster Diving!
« on: 02 Feb 2009, 16:29 »

In this thread, you talk about the fantastic activity that is pulling random shit off of the road!

Last week sometime, I was walking home from 7/11 when I stumbled upon this on the sidewalk on my street:

Figuring I could at least fuck around with it and see if I could salvage some parts from it for my current receiver, I grabbed it. Upon plugging it in to test it, knowing this area is full of idiots with more money than patience, it booted and seemed to function normally. Having hooked it up to my speakers for further testing, all I can find wrong with it is that the remote is MIA and it's a bit scuffed, that's it. The thing actually functions better than my old one. My best guess is the prior owner was too much of a lazy goon to try popping it up on Craigslist, the thing would probably fetch at least $50-100 on there.

Anybody else found anything fantastic on the side of the road? Anybody completely anti-raiding other peoples' former belongings?
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
Re: Dumpster Diving!
« Reply #1 on: 02 Feb 2009, 17:08 »

Haven't found anything good recently. Back home whenever me and my dad went up to drop stuff at the dump we'd normally find something good. Used to get a lot of bikes/bike parts. Last time we got some sweet pool cues that were a little bit damaged but easily fixable.
Get off my land

Jawshooah

« Reply #2 on: 02 Feb 2009, 17:19 »

Not since I found a $100 bill in the gutter a few months ago.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #3 on: 02 Feb 2009, 18:19 »

We don't usually pull stuff off the side of the road, but our dump does have a "take it or leave it" area.  That's where we got our set of glass mixing bowls.  Perfect condition, and none of them missing.  Also, Faye's old high chair and walker.  Baby stuff is always good to find because it's so damn expensive elsewhere.  The stuff I got was probably worth about $300 total and just needed to be bleached/hosed down. 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

Orion

« Reply #4 on: 02 Feb 2009, 18:25 »

lol, I worked as a trash collector once on a local beach... (sux to be a new england beach, 1 season of good time, lol)

Yea... I found lots of cool shit... and what i think was the lady on the front of a ship... kinda freaky...

Yea, that and 5 good chairs, 3 good umbrella's and an un-used, in wrapper condom.

threw the condom away...  lol

ummmkay

• Curry sauce
« Reply #5 on: 02 Feb 2009, 18:32 »

Sophomore year of college, someone left a recliner sitting outside the dorm next to mine. My friends and I decided to get it around 2am one night, but we left a note in case it did actually belong to someone who wanted to keep it. We're so conscientious!

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #6 on: 02 Feb 2009, 18:32 »

Hello, Orion! I believe we have a no images in signatures rule. Just so you know  :-)

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #7 on: 02 Feb 2009, 18:55 »

May 1st is practically a holiday in Fargo. For the college kids, at least. On that day you can put anything on the curb and have it hauled away to take to the dump, so people put out old furniture, TVs, anything they don't want. I have known people to furnish their houses with this stuff. I cannot wait to go out on the first this year to get my own furniture!
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Jawshooah

« Reply #8 on: 02 Feb 2009, 18:56 »

We don't usually pull stuff off the side of the road, but our dump does have a "take it or leave it" area.  That's where we got our set of glass mixing bowls.  Perfect condition, and none of them missing.  Also, Faye's old high chair and walker.  Baby stuff is always good to find because it's so damn expensive elsewhere.  The stuff I got was probably worth about $300 total and just needed to be bleached/hosed down. 
Dude.. did you name your kid after a QC character? Or is it just coincidence?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #9 on: 02 Feb 2009, 18:58 »

No one reads QC down here, man.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Jawshooah

« Reply #10 on: 02 Feb 2009, 19:00 »

Ah. Kind of ironic, given the title of the forum.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #11 on: 02 Feb 2009, 19:16 »

May 1st is practically a holiday in Fargo. For the college kids, at least. On that day you can put anything on the curb and have it hauled away to take to the dump, so people put out old furniture, TVs, anything they don't want. I have known people to furnish their houses with this stuff. I cannot wait to go out on the first this year to get my own furniture!

That's similar to Allston Christmas up here. With a lot of colleges in the area, the Allston neighborhood of Boston ends up with an extremely high concentration of rich little shits with little regard for the value of a dollar. Subsequently, every September the first, or move-out weekend for all the college kids whose leases just ran out, is known as Allston Christmas. All the rich kids just leave the shit they don't want to go to the trouble of selling off or keeping when they move on the curb. All the hipsters and penny-pinchers thus descend on the area to scoop up neat stuff that's generally in perfectly workable condition. I furnished most of my apartment through crap idiot college grads have left out on the sidewalk.

Dude.. did you name your kid after a QC character? Or is it just coincidence?
[/quote]

That would be pretty stupid and I am personally certain that pen is not stupid. Faye is a rather common name.
JON MADE ME GAY

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #12 on: 02 Feb 2009, 20:30 »

I have found some very nice clothing by checking the trash at laundromats before doing my laundry.  I assume people forget things and the management just tosses them, or people are sorting their laundry and chuck things they don't like anymore.  If I find anything good, I just stick it in with my own wash, and then I have new clean clothes. 

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #13 on: 02 Feb 2009, 20:32 »

Oh man. I need to start going to a real laundromat. I just use the one in my apartment for the convenience, but nothing gets thrown away there. Now I guess I have to start going to that Maytag place up on University...
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #14 on: 03 Feb 2009, 02:02 »

The DVD player under my telly came off a skip in the next road, where an old man's house was being cleared last year; I also took a few books, but passed on the crappy audio stuff.

In 1992 I found a working laser printer in a skip, which I used for several years.

When I bought my first house in 1969, I bought the "contents, without inventory" for £20.  In the bottom of the old piano (beyond restoration) was a strongbox with some worthless share certificates and £100 in cash (I suppose about $2500 in current value).
« Last Edit: 03 Feb 2009, 10:48 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Gurkburk

• Furry furrier
  • For I am a happy, happy pokemon!
« Reply #15 on: 03 Feb 2009, 02:15 »

That would be pretty stupid and I am personally certain that pen is not stupid. Faye is a rather common name.

Why would it be stupid if you found a name you liked on a webcomic? Most people get named after biblical characters, are you saying that's much better?
Quote from: Stephen Green of pressure group Christian Voice said
"Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large.

Gilead

« Reply #16 on: 03 Feb 2009, 02:44 »

Why would it be stupid if you found a name you liked on a webcomic? Most people get named after biblical characters, are you saying that's much better?

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #17 on: 03 Feb 2009, 03:57 »

I was named after the actress.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #18 on: 03 Feb 2009, 04:07 »

Faye is a rather common name.

Sure.  In the 50s.  I haven't met another Faye in my life.  I let her dad choose it because she wouldn't be one of 12 Faye's in her class.
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #19 on: 03 Feb 2009, 06:34 »

I was named after the actress.

Sox Johnson?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Gurkburk

• Furry furrier
  • For I am a happy, happy pokemon!
« Reply #20 on: 03 Feb 2009, 07:47 »

Darryl Hannah?
Quote from: Stephen Green of pressure group Christian Voice said
"Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #21 on: 03 Feb 2009, 08:17 »

I have liberated a couple of chairs and a Jimmy Carr box set (hey. it was free) which is not really all that exciting but far better than a kick in the teeth. Most of the stuff left out in the street here is broken beyond recognition, or pilfered far too quickly for a sleepy bird like me. I am currently looking to make a new bookcase though, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled for some planks and some bricks.

I have some good friends of the skanky hippy variety who's best haul is a kilo of Stilton from the bin behind Mark's and Spencer's.

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #22 on: 03 Feb 2009, 08:31 »

I LOVE finding cast off things.

The huge TV I now use was found at the side of the road in Buffalo NY a few years ago.

I took it home to screw around with it.  I found that the Composite and coaxial ports no longer worked for video but the sound still worked.  Then I saw it had S-Video input as well.  I tried that and it worked awesome.  For awhile I just had my DVD hooked up to it via the S-video but then I went to Radio shack and bought an S-Video adapter and hooked it up to a VCR.  Now it works with anything.

I also found a newer TV on the side of the road recently that I use in the library for classic video game days.

(I have a feeling that I will find a lot of nice TVs being abandoned since people don't understand the transition to digital broadcasts.)

I have found so many cool things throughout the years that people just threw away...

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #23 on: 03 Feb 2009, 08:38 »

[quote = 0bsessions ]
[quote = Misconception]

So true.  Piles of lamps and radios and stuff.  One year I was able to make a ton of money when the townhouses at SUNY Geneseo closed for the year.  There were strict restrictions on trash and stuff so if you had empty beer cans they had to be all cleaned out and stacked in boxes.  Some people were too lazy to take them back so there were stacks of empties by the garbage.  I took them back to the store for an easy $40.

Naira

• Not quite a lurker
  • Chicks dig Elder Gods
« Reply #24 on: 03 Feb 2009, 08:45 »

My brother and I grew up in an area that was under construction for YEARS. We would always go to the construction dumpsters and get tons of cast-off wood for building stuff.

Yes, this natural turned into a tree house. My brother's friends (they let me tag along) eventually built a very large, somewhat unsafe tree house. The thing had multiple levels and even a lawn chair on a small platform very high up as the "look out".

It could only have been built by kids with no sense of self-preservation and unable to define words like "traction" and "severe spinal trauma".
You're going to die anyway
You may as well knit.

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #25 on: 03 Feb 2009, 08:58 »

I have been waiting and waiting for this thread because there was nowhere else to put this sequence of photos!

My dad and I found this chest of drawers at the side of the road. It was covered in ugly, burnt-orange paint, the top drawer was missing and the rest were locked. Strangely, dad has a collection of keys that he got from his grandmother, and one of them fit the locks! We stripped the paint off, and that's what the wood looked like underneath. Gorgeous, no?

We stained the wood, and created a bottom for the missing-drawer space and a stained glass panel as a door. My dad designed and cut the glass, I fit them together and did the leading and soldering. He outfitted the hinges and chains, too.

Teamwork! The family that collects and restores garbage together stays together.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

Gilead

« Reply #26 on: 03 Feb 2009, 09:06 »

My dad and I found this chest of drawers at the side of the road. It was covered in ugly, burnt-orange paint, the top drawer was missing and the rest were locked. Strangely, dad has a collection of keys that he got from his grandmother, and one of them fit the locks! We stripped the paint off, and that's what the wood looked like underneath. Gorgeous, no?

And then you put a toy indian in there and locked and it came to life!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #27 on: 03 Feb 2009, 09:13 »

Darryl Hannah?

Patt(ers)on Oswalt?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

allison

« Reply #28 on: 03 Feb 2009, 09:15 »

You have no idea how much I wish this was true. No idea.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #29 on: 03 Feb 2009, 09:19 »

Wow, that dresser turned out pretty sweet!

I found a nice bookshelf on the curb one time, and still use it.  It's painted red, but all I did was clean it up.  I like red.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #30 on: 03 Feb 2009, 09:57 »

i found some neat sunglasses and a few super nintendo games (i still have my super nintendo), but otherwise this is something i don't do all that often and should probably try to do more.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #31 on: 03 Feb 2009, 10:42 »

me and a friend found a box filled with hypodermic needles once. the box was sealed and had smaller boxes within it which were also sealed, and those were filled individually wrapped syringes.

we were going to make a bunch of darts out of them but my paralyzing fear of syringes put a stop to that plan pretty quick.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #32 on: 03 Feb 2009, 11:41 »

Allison, that chest is amazing.

My boyfriend and I picked up a 5-shelf IKEA bookcase that we found on the side of the road.  The flimsy, particle-board back was cracked, so we took it off altogether and cut pieces of wood to make a back for each shelf.  I was impressed that my boyfriend knew how to use a circular saw and how to drill a counterbore so we could screw the pieces of wood into the sides.  It's functional!  But it's nothing compared to that chest (wow!).

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #33 on: 03 Feb 2009, 11:53 »

My brother-in-law found a PsP near his apartment. Worked perfectly well too
(yes, he kept it)

Allison, how long did it take to restore?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #34 on: 03 Feb 2009, 13:33 »

me and a friend found a box filled with hypodermic needles once.

I can't be the only person who thinks that a box of needles is really something you shouldn't pick up from the road?

Scrambled Egg Machine

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Of course you realize this means war.
« Reply #35 on: 03 Feb 2009, 13:41 »

I found a 4-ball from a wrecked pool table next to the Subway dumpster. I washed it and it lives on my desk.
Not so sure about these things anymore.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #36 on: 03 Feb 2009, 13:46 »

Not really dumpster diving, but in the room I am sitting in at this instant (my living room), a table, a couch, a chair, and a desk were all found roadside.  Saved my roommates and I a bunch of money on furnishings.

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #37 on: 03 Feb 2009, 16:39 »

Some of my friends lived in a communal squat for five months and dumpster dived most of their food. They'd hold public dinner parties and cook for everyone.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #38 on: 03 Feb 2009, 18:21 »

I found some nifty 3-D glasses on the subway two weeks ago. They are pretty rad.
I like the way you work it.

allison

« Reply #39 on: 04 Feb 2009, 07:23 »

Allison, how long did it take to restore?

About two weeks. The stripping and staining took the longest, because we only had the one heat gun. The paint lifted fairly easily, and we only had minimal use for the sander. Each coat of the stain took about 2 hours to apply and a day to dry, and we put on about 3 coats. We made the glass door in a day, and then fitted it the next. It was a great thing to do because me and my dad spent so much time together.

Gilead

« Reply #40 on: 04 Feb 2009, 07:50 »

You have no idea how much I wish this was true. No idea.

Who says it isn't true?

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #41 on: 04 Feb 2009, 12:58 »

Who says it isn't true?

I still have the tiny bullet wounds in my hand from when I put that toy soldier in there.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #42 on: 04 Feb 2009, 14:22 »

Hmmm, well, its not really dumpsterdiving, as it was standing by the road, but at the moment, outside my door, there are 2 80 *200 bedframes standing. Found them while walking back home.

As they dont fit my bed, im probably going to see if i can get some monies for them (so we can buy oodles of toiletpaper for the house) (the go new for 140 each)
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #43 on: 04 Feb 2009, 20:02 »

For the record, by dumpster diving, I am intending "various shit someone threw out that you have collected and made excellent use of." This includes, but is not necessarily limited to: shit you pulled out of a dumpster or a trash can, shit picked up at the dump or the side of the road. If it's junk and you make use of it, it's relevant and on topic.

Dumpster Diving was shorter and more to the point than "Various Shit You Found Somewhere and Found a Use For Thread."

I dig relevant thread titles.
JON MADE ME GAY

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #44 on: 04 Feb 2009, 22:56 »

Man I haven't gone dumpster diving in forever. used to all the time though as a kid, me and my friends had a fort on an abandoned lot off in the corner where no one checked, it was pretty freaking awesome, and we had everything. We even had a couch that we managed to drag there, that place was filled with junk, and we'd take old computer parts and monitors and stuff and make it look like it was all high tech and stuff. We built that thing from the ground up all with shit we'd found. There were parts made from old sheet metal, scrap wood, cardboard, branches (woven like thatch), hell plastic and I even think we had a fiberglass window or two. The entrance had a "security gate" that was made from shopping carts. Though in retrospect I would've preferred a tree house more along the lines of the one in Ernest Scared Stupid. I now have the urge to build a fort again, but sadly I know I just won't be able to capture that joy of youth, and when I'm older and I'm getting an apartment or a house, I know it just won't feel the same... *sigh*
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #45 on: 05 Feb 2009, 03:17 »

My then-housemate and I scored a free sofa a few years ago because we were walking home with a non-free sofa and a woman drove past and said "Hey, do you want a free sofa?" and we did want a free sofa.

It's a nice sofa, too. We put it out the front of our house, because when you live in a terrace house in inner-city Melbourne you have to have a sofa out the front. It's the Law.

ViridianStar

• Not quite a lurker
  • :)
« Reply #46 on: 14 Feb 2009, 08:15 »

Who says it isn't true?

I still have the tiny bullet wounds in my hand from when I put that toy soldier in there.
>w< and <3 at the references. (Haven't read that in a while.)

Also, I got one of my favourite hats from a bollard by a bin after a concert. I wore it home. (It had a ginger hair in it :P)
It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
                          Sometimes the best fun looks like boredom.

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #47 on: 14 Feb 2009, 12:43 »

Well now that this thread has been renewed I remember the one time I found a ton of Bud-E (That horrible energy beer) still cool in a dumpster.   (I was younger and stupider)

It was a bit past the "drink by date" on the can so I called up the Budweiser company to make sure that there wasn't a recall and that drinking it wouldn't make me blind.

I guess the distributor or owner just threw it out because it was taking up shelf space and it was past it's date.

It was probably not a good idea to take it and drink it but hey, free beer.  (see above younger and stupider comment)

Oerdin

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #48 on: 14 Feb 2009, 22:07 »

If I didn't already have a full time job I wouldn't mind getting a part time job doing "trash outs" where you clean out the homes of people who have gotten foreclosed on.  Yeah, it sucks for those people but legally it all goes in the dumpster so why not grab some of it rather then toss it?

Kylos

• Obscure cultural reference
    • Myspace?
« Reply #49 on: 15 Feb 2009, 14:19 »

I present you one night of looting.

I don't think anything actually worked, barr the road sign and the trolley.
I hope we mess things up in a huge and beautiful fashion.

Pernix takes the rat and uses it as a peen sock.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up