THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 04:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Resident Evil 5  (Read 21092 times)

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
Resident Evil 5
« on: 05 Feb 2009, 15:24 »

Fairly cool Viral Marketing campaign.

over here
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Re: Resident Evil 5
« Reply #1 on: 05 Feb 2009, 17:22 »

I must say that I sincerely loathed the control scheme to the point this game could be unplayable for me. I'll be fiddling around with the demo more to see if I can get used to it, but it seemed like a terribly failed attempt of mixing Gears of War with Resident Evil 4.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #2 on: 05 Feb 2009, 17:44 »

I got tired of waiting for their bullshit flash site to load, so I bailed.

Could you describe this campaign?

ackblom12

« Reply #3 on: 05 Feb 2009, 18:33 »

Jon, have you tried changing the control Scheme to 1 yet? Doing that and upping the aim speed did wonders for me.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #4 on: 05 Feb 2009, 18:48 »

I got tired of waiting for their bullshit flash site to load, so I bailed.

Could you describe this campaign?
Ditto, got bored after about 5 or 10 minutes of the bit where it barely let me move the candle at all, and had the brig orange loading scratches.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #5 on: 05 Feb 2009, 19:30 »

I must say that I sincerely loathed the control scheme to the point this game could be unplayable for me.

It does seem unneccessarily clunky, but I was playing it on a 360, and since I plan on getting it for PS3 I think that controller will work better with it.

Still, I was pretty unimpressed at how much it felt like a pretty point-by-point retread of RE4.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #6 on: 06 Feb 2009, 07:35 »

At least you can view the video here - http://www.gamekyo.com/videoen14303_resident-evil-5-new-viral-video.html

That's part of it.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2009, 17:46 »

I fucking hate flash based pages. Everyone does. Why do people think that it's a good idea to make us wait before we get to cool things?
Flash microsites are easy for developers to make. They impress the people who make the decisions, and they make designers and creatives happy because they can pick their own fonts and effects. They never see the long loading times and poor performance because when they see the site, it's presented on a local copy on an ideal machine.

The sites can be made accessible and fast by using flash modularly, but that kind of sentiment never makes it past account managers.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2009, 17:48 by dennis »

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2009, 08:28 »

Yeah, that is a drawback, because they can look and function damned cool, but they suck for loading most of the time.

My blog

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2009, 14:35 »

I didn't have any problems with that page loading.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2009, 07:45 »

Don't know if anyone cares, but I made a couple RE5 music vids.  I'm not very good, but I hope to get better at editing.

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quY2-RwJD0E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtrZPZD0lCw

My blog

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2009, 14:45 »

My co-op buddy just delivered RE5 to my door.

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2009, 14:56 »

Since I'm grounded today and my brother's awesome, he's decided to get the game for me.

:mrgreen:

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2009, 14:59 »

Fairly fun, but only in split-screen co-op. The way they set up the screen is a little jarring at first, but I've found with traditional split-screens that I usually have a hard time keeping my eyes on my side of the screen. The slightly off-kilter setup is much easier to focus on. But I imagine on a smaller, non-HD screen it could get a little silly. Aiming is sometimes difficult because you can't see the red laser dot.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #14 on: 15 Mar 2009, 16:45 »

I was going to play some full screen coop over Live, but coop buddy's internet is down.

AngelofShadows

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • One body.....one mind.
« Reply #15 on: 15 Mar 2009, 17:03 »

Anyone else notice that the game seems...well, kinda easy on Medium difficulty? i'm on the second chapter, and I've only died twice, and one was bullshit (Shiva stood next to a red barrel, and a bunch of enemies. I had no choice in the matter, the fire effects are pretty.) And a truck killed me cause my gun needed to be re-loaded.
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

Ikrik

« Reply #16 on: 15 Mar 2009, 18:08 »

The more and more I see gameplay and hear people talk about this game....the less and less I want to buy or even play it.  What I was hoping to play was a horror game that has a lot of action in it and it seems like they have the opposite thing in mind.  I don't play a lot of co-op, don't have the urge to and yet it seems like multiplayer is the best dish on selection here.  That throws me off the game entirely.  Everywhere I've read they say "do not play single player." I'll be spending my money elsewhere.

ackblom12

« Reply #17 on: 15 Mar 2009, 18:31 »

Anyone else notice that the game seems...well, kinda easy on Medium difficulty? i'm on the second chapter, and I've only died twice, and one was bullshit (Shiva stood next to a red barrel, and a bunch of enemies. I had no choice in the matter, the fire effects are pretty.) And a truck killed me cause my gun needed to be re-loaded.

To be honest, difficulty has never been one of RE's prioroties. Luckily it does sound like I'm gonna be having a co-op buddy for the entirety of this game so it should still be a good amount of fun.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #18 on: 15 Mar 2009, 18:32 »

Difficulty hasn't been a priority since 4. In the prior games you had to watch your ammo because when you got to the end boss it turned out that you really need a lot of it.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #19 on: 15 Mar 2009, 19:00 »

Honestly, I'd have to say 4 was the hardest one of the series so far. Ammo conservation was never that hard before and it got easier as games went on. Really, Nemesis was the closest to anything really tough before 4. The QTE's in 4, though, made for some frustratingly hard parts. I'm pretty sure I died close to a dozen times alone on the Krauser knife fight. Some of the bosses were rather rough the first time, though, particularly the village chief and the big troll thing.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

ackblom12

« Reply #20 on: 15 Mar 2009, 23:12 »

Yeah, 4 was definitely the hardest of the bunch, and outside of one or 2 specific spots it wasn't terribly difficult. Seriously, ammo conservation was never an issue in the RE games if you played smart at all.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #21 on: 16 Mar 2009, 05:05 »

I saw the commercial on TV then I came...  How am I going to be able to play this  :?
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #22 on: 16 Mar 2009, 11:41 »

Earl Ofari Hutchinson wrote a piece in the Huffington Post about racism in RE5, saying the game is racist because the lead role is white, and he is mowing down "disease challenged" Africans.

The New York Times disagrees.

Choice quote:

The point of the story is that the indigenous people have become the innocent victims of evil white people.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2009, 11:49 by Johnny C »

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #23 on: 16 Mar 2009, 11:52 »

I'm writing a couple of papers about video games and one of them is going to be on the portrayal of African in video games so keep this stuff coming, it's good fodder.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #24 on: 16 Mar 2009, 11:57 »

I read that times piece and when he talked about how switching out African villagers with Chinese villagers would have made the controversy more real to Capcom developers, I said to myself "I don't think you should be so sure of yourself there."
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #25 on: 16 Mar 2009, 12:33 »

I don't know why anybody ever asks that question.There hasn't been a long history of institutional and culturally-propagated racism against Europeans? A cannibalistic white guy in peasant garb carrying a hatchet doesn't carry the same connotations as a cannibalistic black guy in African tribal dress carrying an ornate spear?
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2009, 12:41 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #26 on: 16 Mar 2009, 12:46 »

Seriously, ammo conservation was never an issue in the RE games if you played smart at all.

This. I mean, c'mon guys. I beat RE2 without any problems and all I ever did to conserve ammo was wait 'till the zombies were so close that I could paint the walls with a single shotgun shell and/or skipped easy to avoid zombies entirely.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #27 on: 16 Mar 2009, 14:46 »

I read that times piece and when he talked about how switching out African villagers with Chinese villagers would have made the controversy more real to Capcom developers, I said to myself "I don't think you should be so sure of yourself there."

Uhhhhh I'm pretty sure if you pitched that to Capcom they'd eject you from the office? They probably aren't idiots and have at least some awareness of not only their culture's history, but also how negatively that would affect Asian market sales. That was the guy's point.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #28 on: 16 Mar 2009, 15:11 »

I don't know. All the things I've read about Japan's history curriculums don't lead me to believe that they would be sensitive to Chinese concerns. What is there to be concerned about, after all?

I could be off-base, but it seems like it wasn't too long ago that their textbooks were on par with America's in the "our past atrocities" category, if it's still not the case.

But the greatest concern would be marketing in China. I don't know how big of a market China is to Capcom, but I imagine if they couldn't see stuff like this coming in the American market (the market they designed the game to cater to, more or less) they wouldn't catch it anywhere else.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #29 on: 16 Mar 2009, 15:23 »

It's not a matter of "this is culturally irresponsible" it's honestly just a matter of "we couldn't market this." They probably couldn't market to the rest of Asia either since the continent probably hasn't entirely forgiven them for centuries of war crimes - and at least some portion of the American population probably wouldn't feel comfortable with it either.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #30 on: 16 Mar 2009, 15:25 »

A cannibalistic white guy in peasant garb carrying a hatchet doesn't carry the same connotations as a cannibalistic black guy in African tribal dress carrying an ornate spear?
And this game portrays cannibalistic black guys in t-shirts carrying hatchets, so where does that fit in?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #31 on: 16 Mar 2009, 15:53 »

As unexceptional, ambient racism? The sort that's only debatably there (although they could've acquitted themselves by not having all the zombified characters angrily shouting in a dialect not comprehensible to 99.9% of players)? It's only the villager stuff that really strikes me as exceptionally tasteless so far.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ackblom12

« Reply #32 on: 16 Mar 2009, 18:18 »

I don't actually think I've seen anything that I would actually consider tasteless when taken into context of the setting in the game. Maybe with the exception of the practically hilarious alternate costume for Sheva.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #33 on: 16 Mar 2009, 18:37 »

It's only the villager stuff that really strikes me as exceptionally tasteless so far.

But given the setting and given the plotline – which the NYT guy establishes is white exploitation of Africa – what are they supposed to do? What about reports that there are also neutral and friendly native Africans in the game? Does this not affect the perceived racism at all?

Besides, and this is really important, you're not playing a video game adaptation of Zulu II. They're fucking zombies. He's not fighting them because they're black. From what I've seen it's really clear that he's fighting them because they're zombies.

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #34 on: 16 Mar 2009, 20:20 »

People are being so overly-sensitive to this.  There was arguing about racism in RE5 before it even came out, and I don't understand it.  There are zombies trying to eat me, I will shoot them.  The fact that they are Black is only a factor because we are in damn Africa.  In 4 they were Spanish.  In Raccoon City, there were mostly white, as far as I can remember.  White and American, I still had no problem shooting them.  Because they were zombies.

If the main character wasn't Chris Redfield, and was some random black guy, would this even be a problem?
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #35 on: 17 Mar 2009, 00:41 »

The debate about racism is a prudent one and honestly the only real reasonable answer to this is it's complicated.

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #36 on: 17 Mar 2009, 02:01 »

Earl Ofari Hutchinson wrote a piece in the Huffington Post about racism in RE5, saying the game is racist because the lead role is white, and he is mowing down "disease challenged" Africans.
The Huffington Post is trash.

I had my suspicions back in early 2008 when all we had was the trailer, but as I've learned more about the game and now have actually played it, I see that the alleged racism is simply not there, and any perception is due only to the setting. The concept is really no different than that in RE4 with Las Plagas in Spain. The worst you could say about it is that the African hero-character Sheva is rather light-skinned.

As to the setting itself being racist, note that it is plot-critical that it be set in Africa, since Africa is where humanity began. They very well couldn't set it in China or anywhere else.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2009, 02:04 by dennis »

lolwut

« Reply #37 on: 17 Mar 2009, 03:44 »

note that it is plot-critical that it be set in Africa, since Africa is where humanity began.

allegedly

it's entirely possible that humanity started out in a different location but those that migrated to africa were the only ones that survived for some reason

anyway: will play through to find out what happens, but not really enjoying it as much as i thought i would. the whole time i'm playing i just keep thinking you could be playing Saints Row 2 goddamnit get it out of the case

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #38 on: 17 Mar 2009, 08:02 »

The debate about racism is a prudent one and honestly the only real reasonable answer to this is it's complicated.

No, it's really not.

There's 14 RE games where you kill American/European zombies.

There's 1 with African zombies.

It's really not complicated at all.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #39 on: 17 Mar 2009, 08:36 »

I have personally not found it to be a game that contains racism.

People are dying, as they always are in Resident Evil games...  this time there just happen to be locals from Africa, and lo and behold, the design team did their research, and many of the people that live in Africa are people of color.

Shocking...

:roll:

My blog

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #40 on: 17 Mar 2009, 10:23 »

Actually, I mean.

Why the fuck isn't there an RE set in Asia?

Maybe they are racist. I've been sitting here killing white people for like, 13 years now, you assholes.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #41 on: 17 Mar 2009, 15:16 »

Because they simply make more comical than scary enemies.  I mean, maybe it could've just been the lame game design, but Crisis was a total joke.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #42 on: 17 Mar 2009, 16:33 »

Okay but the way that one game treats Africa is important? Come on dude, there's a reason for this debate. Historically, Africa has been treated as a dark continent full of savagery and its inhabitants have frequently been portrayed either as dumb and easily cowed or dumb and inhumanly vicious. Either the noble savage or the wild animal. It's disingenuous to suggest that this can just be ignored. Narrative representations of Africa in the 21st century have to take this historical portrayal of the region and its people into account.

This is really a basic post-colonial conceit.

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #43 on: 17 Mar 2009, 17:39 »

Because they simply make more comical than scary enemies.  I mean, maybe it could've just been the lame game design, but Crisis was a total joke.
Are you trying to troll this up or what?

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #44 on: 17 Mar 2009, 17:57 »

note that it is plot-critical that it be set in Africa, since Africa is where humanity began.

allegedly

it's entirely possible that humanity started out in a different location but those that migrated to africa were the only ones that survived for some reason
No, not allegedly. There are competing theories that homo sapiens sapiens, our particular subspecies, arose outside of Africa, but all the theories agree that homo sapiens (humans) evolved in Africa and from there migrated to the rest of the world. The DNA and fossil evidence for this is incontrovertible. Even among the competing theories of H. sapiens sapiens, the one for African origin has the most support and evidence behind it.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #45 on: 17 Mar 2009, 18:08 »

Okay but the way that one game treats Africa is important? Come on dude, there's a reason for this debate. Historically, Africa has been treated as a dark continent full of savagery and its inhabitants have frequently been portrayed either as dumb and easily cowed or dumb and inhumanly vicious. Either the noble savage or the wild animal. It's disingenuous to suggest that this can just be ignored. Narrative representations of Africa in the 21st century have to take this historical portrayal of the region and its people into account.

And in this game, it treats it as a continent country region full of FUCKING ZOMBIES! Of course they are vicious, see point ZOMBIES! Before the first battle, sure you see some people beating a moving sack with sticks, but they do mention that the region is in turmoil, the only difference between that and how things happen over here is that over here, people usually find someplace they won't be seen before beating someone to death with sticks. And over here, they use bats because it is easier to find those than tree limbs or a well-shaped piece of firewood in cities.

Are you saying it would be less offensive if the game was set in Harlem, for example, rather than africa? Just the first place I can think of that is commonly thought of has having an almost completely black population. Is it somehow less offensive to be shooting American blacks, English blacks, rather than African blacks? That is what you are making it sound like with your mention of Africa rather than the skin color.

Yes, there is a reason for this debate. The reason is that some people look for reasons to be offended and then BAWWWW to no end. And the media, always eager for ratings, rather than telling them to shut the fuck up, runs the story, and all of a sudden we have a shitstorm.

A wise man once wrote that there is more than one way to burn a book, and the world is full of people running around with lit matches. I guess you can debate this all you want, if I were to try to stop you, I would be a hypocrite. People can debate whatever pointless or stupid thing they want, my worry here is that the ever-present moral guardians would attempt to ban this game. Hasn't happened, as far as I can tell, but it could have, and it still might.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #46 on: 17 Mar 2009, 18:43 »

And RE4's treatment of Spain as a bunch of backwoods, savagely angry farmers who live in hovels went completely unnoticed.

And RE0-3's treatment of America as corrupt and violent, a nation of people who would create monsters in the pursuit of war is just par for the course.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #47 on: 17 Mar 2009, 18:45 »

Nobody wants a ban on the game. However, anyone interested in fiction that takes place in a realistic Africa should be at least cognizant of the narrative problems presented by the setting. I can't really speak to it more without the game but come on dude - I don't think it's racist, but I do think the debate is important for the reasons outlined above, reasons which are a large part of contemporary fictional treatment of Africa.

Read this and then come back to this thread!

buncha suckas who aint heard of postcolonialism itt
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2009, 18:49 by Johnny C »

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #48 on: 17 Mar 2009, 18:48 »

Was rural Spain colonized, enslaved and brutalized? Was the contemporary American military-industrial complex a victim of institutionalized, nationally-sanctioned racism? Jesus.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #49 on: 17 Mar 2009, 19:03 »

Dude, so, wait.

I mean, is Africa just completely off limits then because shit happened? It's never allowed to be a setting unless it's making some deep statement about how wrong shit was?

It's only okay if it's not Africa is what you're telling me here.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up