THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 17:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Everything I've wanted to know about webcomics (but was too afraid to ask)  (Read 13437 times)

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*

OK, so I'm starting a webcomic, and there are some things I've been wondering about for a while.

Big one, what's the etiquette for guest strips? Like, say I have an idea for a guest strip for Webcomic A. Do I wait for Webcomic A's author to contact me, or do I send it to them so they have it, or what? Or is there no real set of general rules for that thing?

Also, I'm not trying to be a pretentious jerk or anything, so I'm sorry if I come across like that or something.
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

First you make at least a couple handfuls of your own comic, establish yourself, then make guest strips and send them to the various artists. If you are just some random dude though, it'll get thrown into the fanart section. Webcomiceers are an elite caste, and even they have cliques within cliques.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx

I see many things... I see cliques within cliques.

also israel

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom

proper guest strip etiquette is to wait until you are asked.

of course, getting to the point where a guest strip by you is something people will ask for may take some time, so keep your eyes peeled for people who put out open calls for guest strips.

also be funny and draw well. this is the most important thing.

second most important thing is: do a strip about guild navigators
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce

OK, second question here:

The comic I'm doing, while comedic, has a definite plot drive to it, with an overarc connecting the first few stories (think Telltale's Sam and Max games): should I release pages of the story on separate days to give myself more leeway, or should I post an entire story about once a month so the details of the overarc are fresh in the reader's minds?

until they NEED IT!"

Gurkburk

• Furry furrier
  • For I am a happy, happy pokemon!

You want your comic to be like good crack, where people come back the very next day wanting more.

Not to be confused with bad crack, where people die choking on their own vomit.
Quote from: Stephen Green of pressure group Christian Voice said
"Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large.

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce

OK, I'm working simultaneously on bolstering a cache of material and creating a website to house it.

Does anyone know how I can add a forum to my website? Everything I've looked at is horribly confusing.

EDIT: So I've been struggling with Dreamweaver for weeks now, and I'm about ready to say fuck it. Do you think running my webcomic out of a blog would be a viable option, like Kate Beaton did with hers for a long time?
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2009, 18:38 by Norton Quintessential »

until they NEED IT!"

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar

LiveJournal is a viable solution.  yuko (of johnny wander fame) has done it for a while. It'd the only LJ I check regularly.
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2009, 09:43 by Zombiedude »
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

bicostp

• Beyoncé

Yes, running it out of a blog would work, especially if you use WordPress with the ComicPress add-on. You could also use a standalone system like ComicCMS or Walrus if you feel ambitious.

But if you don't want to deal with all that, or don't have your own hosting, you can always throw it on a free comic host like ComicGenesis. This might be the way to go, since you'll get listed in their directory (for more exposure). The only drawback is you wind up competing with 1,895,213 other people in the same position, so (as Yahtzee said) it's like throwing a message in a bottle off your desert island into an ocean made entirely of messages in bottles.

http://www.comicgenesis.com/
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2009, 09:11 by bicostp »

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce

To everyone: thank you very much! You've all been really helpful.

Bicostp: my idea was to host it on Blogger or something, post comics every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and then do miscellaneous writings on Tuesday and Thursday, with no major alterations to the blogging script.

Also, one final question: I've got a domain already purchased from when I planned to do a huge, custom lay-out thing. How can I make my domain redirect to my blog?

until they NEED IT!"

P-Frank

• Not quite a lurker

I might go for ComicPress instead. It is much more professional than just using Blogger. Blogger is a fine thing for blogs, but I have only seen one good Blogger comic.

And regular updates are THE most important thing on a comic if you want to be successful (lots of readers, if that is how you define success). Artistically that may be bankrupt, but there are plenty of awful comics that update 7 days a week and they will always be more popular than a once a week deal. At the moment I update five days a week, three-four real pages and one-two one-panellers. Due to the style it would be very difficult to do it any more than that.

Also, I recently did one solicited guest comic (Octopus Pie) and one un-solicited (Anders Loves Maria). I did the other one because I know Rene is pretty lax on her guest comics and also that she needed them fast and I already had an idea for one. Un-solicited fan art is generally better as a rule though. Comics take too long anyway.

- Frank!

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce

My only problem with Comicpress is I literally have no idea how to work code or things like that. And ComicGenesis... this is probably stupid, but I was hoping to get it done in the next week or so so I can post the content I have and get a Comicon Pass. :| Doing this by the skin of my teeth, I know, but I've been working on this concept for about a year and a half (ironically, the idea to do it as a webcomic didn't hit me until about a month ago.)
« Last Edit: 05 Apr 2009, 14:59 by Norton Quintessential »

until they NEED IT!"

lolwut

If you have too big intervals, people will forget about the comic.

http://www.blastwavecomic.com/

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce

Heh, don't worry. I'm not launching until I've got enough material that I can update for a month or so before I run out.  :-)

And I'm forgetting San Diego this year. I feel like slapping something together would be disrespectful to guys like Jeph who do this for a living, so I'm going to cut my teeth on it for a year or so first.

until they NEED IT!"

lolwut

I feel like slapping something together would be disrespectful to guys like Jeph who do this for a living

I don't follow.

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce

I just feel like a few months at it wouldn't be enough. I don't know, maybe I'm just being stupid.

until they NEED IT!"

lolwut

I just feel like a few months at it wouldn't be enough. I don't know, maybe I'm just being stupid.

no i mean i don't see why it would be disrespectful, but okay.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar

I think what Norton is saying is he doesn't want a rushed project.

Mein Tumblr

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce

Yes, thank you Zombiedude. That's pretty much it: I don't want to go to THE BIG ONE with barely any content under my belt. :-P I want to establish an identity for my work first, THEN go and tell people about it.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2009, 17:59 by Norton Quintessential »

until they NEED IT!"

P-Frank

• Not quite a lurker

My comics been up a couple months and I'm about to debut a merch line as well as hit three cons this summer. Ain't a thang.

talihal

• Emoticontraindication
  • Shaz-bat!
    • Scarlet Throne Blog

Ok, now I have a question:

I plan to do a comic as soon as I can get a Wacom tablet (and hopefully Photoshop since right now all I have is Gimp and I hear it has problems with tablets) but I don't know like what fanbase I'm looking at. It's a rather cliché idea, but it's about some kids in a band and the side-plot is that they're Vamps. It's gonna be mainly a teenage/early adulthood fanbase for people who are into that sort of thing. I know it's a relatively dumb idea and very cliché, but I need some ideas on which direction to gear it. Anyone got any ideas? And please, constructive criticism not flaming. Go ahead and tell me it's cliché, but dont go on a rant about how its just another twilight ripoff or whatever. I already know that. But you don't like it, too bad. Deal.
Ever wonder if some miniscule decision you once made inevitably caused someone's death without your knowledge?

You have never truly experienced Shakespeare until you have read it in the original Klingon.

lolwut

Constructive criticism?

Pick a different horror sub-genre: Vampires are soooo late nineties/early noughties.

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce

"Noughties". Is that what we're calling them now? I always wondered.  :-P

OK, one final question: I finally have the comic up, updating M-W-F: How long before I should start telling people about it?

I'm eager to post it in the plug yr comic thread, but I've only got two strips up so far.

until they NEED IT!"

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar

ehh, go ahead and plug it

also, Tali, look for a more obscure mythical monster if you don't want to change what you have too much.

For example,Selkies are pretty cool

Mein Tumblr

talihal

• Emoticontraindication
  • Shaz-bat!
    • Scarlet Throne Blog

ehh, go ahead and plug it

also, Tali, look for a more obscure mythical monster if you don't want to change what you have too much.

For example,Selkies are pretty cool

Thanks! I'm not sure if I'll go with selkies but maybe something else...or I've been thinking about maybe dropping the mythical creature thing all together. We shall see.
Ever wonder if some miniscule decision you once made inevitably caused someone's death without your knowledge?

You have never truly experienced Shakespeare until you have read it in the original Klingon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up