THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 01 May 2024, 13:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Chicagocon '09 - The Internet Invades the Midwest  (Read 96430 times)

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
Re: Chicagocon '09 - The Internet Invades the Midwest
« Reply #350 on: 01 May 2009, 19:33 »

So no. Fuck Prom night.

But Mattttttt, you could be my date! No need to buy flowers or rent a tux or a limo or anything. We will dance and get drunk and it will be like the prom you wish you had had in high school.

:D

EDIT: Will, shall I add you to my 'definitely' list, then?
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #351 on: 01 May 2009, 21:29 »

Dudes all hatin on prom - My dinner made me sick! Also, the friend I went with decided I was an excellent rebound, even though I was still hung up on my ex! So hooray for trying not to barf while a friend you aren't in to tries to kiss you and you have to break his heart whilst trying not to barf! Prom fucking sucked! (Minus my dress. My dress ruled.)

But am I all about this prom? Yes. Why? BECAUSE IT WON'T FUCKING SUCK. IT WILL BE FUCKING AWESOME.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #352 on: 01 May 2009, 23:04 »

EDIT: Will, shall I add you to my 'definitely' list, then?

Not so much a definitely...I'm about 90% sure though, so put me down as a strong possible.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

ackblom12

« Reply #353 on: 01 May 2009, 23:17 »

Well, I'm not normally up for a night of sin making and debauchery but I do like punch!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #354 on: 04 May 2009, 10:08 »

I need to shift to the maybe column for like a week or three. I don't have a job right now, so, you know, I have no income.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #355 on: 04 May 2009, 17:29 »

To the people involved with Camp Eed and/or the Cedar Point outing - when are we going? I got invited to go see a concert in St. Louis with a friend and it's on the 25th and I want to see if I can do both. I'm asking because I can't remember when exactly Camp Eed is and whether the larger part is before or after Chicago. I may have already asked about this, but I forget these things!

Will

« Reply #356 on: 04 May 2009, 17:34 »

the Cedar Point outing

WAIT - someone, tell me more about this! Cedar Point is only about a 2.5 hour drive for me, I could so easily do this!
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #357 on: 04 May 2009, 17:42 »

People in the area or attending Camp Eed are going to Cedar Point at some point before or after Chicago! And that's all I know.

COME HAVE FUN WITH US!

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #358 on: 04 May 2009, 23:18 »

i'm in chicago right now, am i doing it right?
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #359 on: 05 May 2009, 00:18 »

I'd be somewhat grateful if you mailed that t-shirt to me. I had a rather unfortunate incident with some bleach earlier which has reduced me to one hoody, three t-shirts and two pairs of jeans. As I grow older, I seem to be making more and more mistakes that I don't seem to learn from. I've been told on numerous occasions throughout my life that the opposite is supposed to happen.
I can't decide whether adults have been consistently lying to me my entire life or if I am just so accident prone that it hasn't been my day for a couple of years now.

This seems like an excellent time to purchase one of the few remaining Silkworm t-shirts.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #360 on: 05 May 2009, 00:56 »

OK well Camp Edith is basically 22nd July to the end of Chicagocon, with a bit of drifting homewards once Chicago has been thoroughly invaded. So Cedar Point will definitely be pre-Chicago (I'm assuming... unless we were making a detour on the way home, I'm not clear on whereabouts it actually is). I don't know if Eed has a vague schedule drawn up or not but I'm sure we can make it not be the 25th if necessary!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #361 on: 05 May 2009, 12:35 »

No no no it is pre-Chicagocon because I am driving back to Fargo from Chicago and there is no way in HELL I will be missing out on Cedar Point. Linds, the schedule is flexible I think so we can work with you!
Liz is touching me.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #362 on: 05 May 2009, 12:40 »

Dumbrella did a prom night at SDCC one year and it was basically the best time anyone ever had hanging out with people from the internet.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #363 on: 05 May 2009, 13:27 »

It should be noted that Emilio and I are currently planning to be staying in Chicago until the 7th, staying at a hostel or the like, and noodling around with the synths I will probably be bringing for all to enjoy. If anybody else is staying in the city post-con they are welcome to join us!
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #364 on: 05 May 2009, 17:26 »

uhggghh now I kind of want to come.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

ackblom12

« Reply #365 on: 05 May 2009, 17:41 »

C'mon James, do it. You know you want to. DDOOOOO EEEEEEEEET!

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #366 on: 05 May 2009, 17:41 »

Maybe I will.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #367 on: 05 May 2009, 17:42 »

I will make a shirt saying "fucker."

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #368 on: 05 May 2009, 22:56 »

You have to come James.  you want to hang out with me don't you?
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #369 on: 07 May 2009, 04:07 »

I am not impressed with US Airways.

They have cancelled my return flight, but only half of it, with the result that I might be stuck in Philadelphia overnight. I'm going to ring them back later and try and sort things out with them but yeah, check your flight status guys especially if you booked with expedia.co.uk who don't bother to do anything as helpful as email you to let you know.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #370 on: 07 May 2009, 04:31 »

May, that really sucks. Remember that Jens, Oli and I will be in Philadelphia for a few hours on the way home anyway so we'll keep you company for a while at least! Hope everything works out for you.

Also it is so weird that they didn't even email you, I thought that was kind of important! I got an email a couple of months ago saying that my flight schedule had been changed. Turned out one of the return flights had been moved with only two minutes, which is not a big matter at all, but they still let me know about it. Basically the company you booked with is ridiculous.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Metope

« Reply #371 on: 07 May 2009, 04:36 »

Oh oh! May, what if we crash the Philadelphia airport? Maybe they will deport you!

I am so good at finding solutions.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #372 on: 07 May 2009, 05:12 »

Well I was considering sleeping in the airport since I'll be doing that on the way out, but then I went on some websites and they seem to think that it's not the nicest of airports ever.

Oh well it will be an adventure! I guess this is pretty much my only chance for a "gap year" experience since I'm not actually having a gap year so perhaps this will be fun!

Actually one of the flights has been changed by a couple of minutes, and that's a point, are we all still on the same flight out of Detroit? Mine's been put three minutes earlier to depart and six minutes earlier to arrive, and the final digit of the flight number is now 3 (don't want to be too specific obviously).

Metope

« Reply #373 on: 07 May 2009, 05:16 »

Yeah, that's the one that was changed for me too, so we're still on the same flight out of Detroit. No worries!

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #374 on: 11 May 2009, 15:44 »

Looks like I'll be buying tix at the end of this week, provided the prices I'm seeing now are still in effect then. I'll be in Chi-town from the 30th through the 7th. I don't know where I'll stay for that first night (old man Hocking's?) or for the post-con duration of my stay, but given that I will be hanging with peeps who will also need shelter that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I know some people who are from Chicago who will probably know of serviceable hostels, in any case.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #375 on: 11 May 2009, 22:41 »

I'm still bummed I cannot make this. I was looking forward to awkward and probably Baldur's Gate related smalltalk with KvP.

Also drinking.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

ackblom12

« Reply #376 on: 12 May 2009, 15:33 »

Oh, me and Kat are offering a ride for a split of the gas bill if anyone wants to meet us in Rochester, or possbily later on the drive to get to Chicago if you want to save some cash. We have enough room for 1 - 2 folks.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
« Reply #377 on: 14 May 2009, 19:39 »

<---Brian (for the front page)

So... Segway tours?  lol!

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #378 on: 18 May 2009, 00:13 »

I finally got my quotes and itinerary for the trip. $4700 on flights :(  You guys better be fucking worth it.

Also Liz, you had better be worth approximately $600 because that is how much it costs t fly one way from Chicago to Fargo.  Like seriously WHAT.  You Americans and your over expensive domestic fligths.  It costs me $150 to fly return to Sydney!  How crazy is it that I am paying $600 to fly from Chicago to Fargo to get in a car and drive to Chicago?

Anyway, I am going in this week hopefully to finalise and pay, then there is no backing out!
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #379 on: 18 May 2009, 05:54 »

How crazy is it that I am paying $600 to fly from Chicago to Fargo to get in a car and drive to Chicago?

Very. Why fly to Chicago to begin with? Why not fly to a closer airport to the coast (Like NYC or ATL) and then fly to Fargo from there? Could you not get round trip from a different airport? Shit, by the sound of it, even buying two one way tickets might even be cheaper.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Will

« Reply #380 on: 18 May 2009, 06:02 »

So who wants to meet me in Pittsburgh and take a train to Chicago? It's hells of fun!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #381 on: 18 May 2009, 06:04 »

She'd be flying over the Pacific, not the Atlantic. That's really weird that you're going so far east when you shouldn't have to. But yay, Jodie is coming to Amurrica!

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #382 on: 18 May 2009, 06:17 »

She'd be flying over the Pacific, not the Atlantic. That's really weird that you're going so far east when you shouldn't have to. But yay, Jodie is coming to Amurrica!

Ah yes, I keep forgetting that she's not from Europe, but that makes even less sense. Why not fly in via LAX or San Francisco (I'm not sure if they do international) and then straight on to Fargo?
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Will

« Reply #383 on: 18 May 2009, 08:09 »

So who wants to meet me in Pittsburgh and take a train to Chicago? It's hells of fun!

You're coming to Chicago? Raddd

Yeah, there's really no reason for me not to; a round trip train ride (my favorite mode of transportation) to Chicago (my favorite city) is only $110 for me, and I finally get to meet more forumites than just mberan...what's not to like!

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #384 on: 18 May 2009, 11:32 »

Jodie I am worth approximately $10,042 dollars. You are getting a DEAL, let me tell you.

Have you actually bought the tickets yet? If not, you could totally skip Fargocon and fly into Minneapolis instead, that's got to be a ton cheaper. And we would still get to go to the GIANT mall.

P.S. other people should fly into MPLS too so we can have a giant awesome road trip of joy and fun~
Liz is touching me.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #385 on: 18 May 2009, 12:18 »

I am not flying. At the rate I'm going, I may not even be driving. But that's ok, because Megabus is super cheap or I may steal Will's idea and take a train for the first time ever. Decisions decisions.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
« Reply #386 on: 18 May 2009, 14:33 »

Shall we toss more ideas?

Lessee..... whirlyball, laser tag, bar hangouts?

Any ideas on what neighborhoods ye all would like?  I'm guessing to ease costs, so we won't go into the loop or anything. 

Will

« Reply #387 on: 18 May 2009, 14:38 »

Linds...seriously...take the train. Depending on where you're coming from, it may be a little expensive, but coming into Union Station in the morning is an absolutely wonderful experience.

I may be way off here, but you're from the eastern part of the US, right? If so, you should DEFINITELY take the train, because the only route to Chicago from the East Coast is through Pittsburgh - we could be travlin' buddies!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #388 on: 18 May 2009, 16:05 »

I live in Cincinnati, OH. The train I'd be taking doesn't have a stop in Pittsburgh. :-( It's the 51 Cardinal route for Amtrak.

Liter, I haven't played laser tag in years. That sounds fun.

Edit: Looks like if I take a train, I'd have to either arrive on the 30th or the 1st and have to leave on the 4th. So I will have to wait to see if this is an option or not depending on work and what is going on with Cedar Point. Also, Megabus is like half the cost of a train. DON'T KNOW!!
« Last Edit: 18 May 2009, 18:44 by Linds »

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #389 on: 18 May 2009, 18:55 »

JODIE if Liz isn't worth $600 I will throw myself in there too. I am definitely worth at least $600. I would beat someone (not you) up if you were in Fargo and I didn't at least meet you.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #390 on: 18 May 2009, 19:50 »

Oh Brittany you should just come to Chicagocon and stop being silly. FUN TIMES will be had by all.
Liz is touching me.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #391 on: 18 May 2009, 20:36 »

I knew I was going to start paying loans and also moving into a more expensive place, so that's around a $350/month difference so all my savings money is being used as a Just In Case fund. Especially cuz there are all these people who call in and are like "I GOT LAID OFF AND HAVE NO MONEY AND I CAN'T PAY THIS BILL" and sometimes they cry and I do not want to end up where they are. Not like it is their fault or anything, I'm just a hoarder with anxiety who grew up poor.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #392 on: 18 May 2009, 22:50 »

I am pretty sure the thing was that Chicago was the only place I could get a direct flight to Fargo, the others had changeovers and I am really not good with airports so I will pay extra to avoid that. Something like that anyway.  God I hate airports so much.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #393 on: 19 May 2009, 04:05 »

take a train for the first time ever

seriously?

I can't comprehend living in a country where trains are not a regular part of life. I hadn't even thought about this but does America have inter-town trains? Like, trains that stop at each little village along the way? Or does the ubiquity of the automobile make it unnecessary? (I am so pretentious today)

Wow. Ever so often something reminds me that America is a whole other country, not just some kind of British clone a few thousand miles away.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #394 on: 19 May 2009, 04:11 »

That's Australia.

We have trains! I travel on trains a lot! I like them, but only when they work and there aren't creepy homeless-looking people watching me while I listen to Ratatat and dance in my seat a little.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

CardinalFang

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #395 on: 19 May 2009, 04:55 »

take a train for the first time ever

seriously?

I can't comprehend living in a country where trains are not a regular part of life. I hadn't even thought about this but does America have inter-town trains? Like, trains that stop at each little village along the way? Or does the ubiquity of the automobile make it unnecessary? (I am so pretentious today)

Wow. Ever so often something reminds me that America is a whole other country, not just some kind of British clone a few thousand miles away.

Seriously.
I've never been on a train and I don't know many people who have.
To the best of my knowledge unless Amtrak has a stop in your city you don't have passenger rail service.

Here's what AAA has to say about the upcoming Memorial Day weekend (emphasis mine).

"Trips by auto will be the beneficiary of Americans’ returning wanderlust with 27 million people – or nearly 83 percent of all travelers - planning a road trip. This is an increase from last Memorial Day when 26.3 million travelers paid among the highest fuel prices on record to travel by motor vehicle. This summer AAA does not expect the price of gasoline to average more than $2.50 per gallon. The current nationwide average price of self-serve regular is $2.22 and in Hampton Roads the average is $2.08. In contrast to trips by personal automobile, trips by air will decline by 1 percent. Approximately 2.1 million Americans will travel by air over the holiday weekend, AAA said. This is 7 percent of total travelers. Trips by other modes, including rail, buses and watercraft, will be the dominant means of travel used by an estimated 3.3 million Americans, or 10 percent of all travelers."

I would bet that most of that 10% will be on a bus instead of a train.

I wish there were more and better train service.

(From Gabbly) Jodizzle: no sad deaths apart from the eaten kitten

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #396 on: 19 May 2009, 05:02 »

I (just barely) remember trains that had not only first and second class compartments, but also third class.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #397 on: 19 May 2009, 05:10 »

Paul, there is a man who catches the same train as I do on Tuesday evenings who is the Newcastle version of you! He has less hair though, and looks unhappier. He gets off at the same station as me and is always listening to music on the train while reading the Financial Review.

I don't need to meet the internet, I see them all the time, it seems.
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #398 on: 19 May 2009, 05:14 »

while reading the Financial Review.

That I would never do...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #399 on: 19 May 2009, 05:17 »

Maybe that is why Newcastle Paul is unhappy?
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Up