THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Chicagocon '09 - The Internet Invades the Midwest  (Read 94223 times)

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
Re: Chicagocon '09 - The Internet Invades the Midwest
« Reply #550 on: 13 Jul 2009, 19:18 »

Soon enough = next summer. Or possibly this winter. Keep posting and getting to know people, and who knows?!
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

tinysmidgen

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #551 on: 13 Jul 2009, 19:31 »

Lol, I should probably limit my number of new topics then, eh? The lists will get to people and then you'll all be "Oh sure you can come, we'd love[/] to have you." *everyone kills Tyler while he's sleeping* yup. Thank you though :) I'll be sure to stick around, or at least try to, and not be too much of a pain.
A raptor with a sword should never be trusted, even if the raptor doesn't have thumbs.

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #552 on: 13 Jul 2009, 19:45 »

I don't think you'd be too hard to kill while you were awake
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

tinysmidgen

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #553 on: 13 Jul 2009, 19:52 »

By a mob of angry forumites, no I don't believe I would be able to put up much of a fight. I may, however, be able to take you out one by one with my leet ninja skillz.
A raptor with a sword should never be trusted, even if the raptor doesn't have thumbs.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #554 on: 13 Jul 2009, 20:33 »

Considering Tyler's track record, I think he's more likely to kill than be killed. Or at least attempted killings. Or is your name Tyler as well?

I should probably buy bus tickets, huh. I will do that when I get my paycheck later this week. Also, have we figured out how much each person in the house owes? I seriously need to get my budget on. My car insurance bill kind of kicked my ass.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #555 on: 13 Jul 2009, 21:39 »

Guys this time next week I will be in America! CRAZY

Jodie, Liz has something she "forgot" to mention to you. (Actually, you've probably already seen this buttttt)
This is the real reason she wanted you to come here.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

iamiam

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #556 on: 13 Jul 2009, 22:08 »

Mai has suggested brownies and I am all for it, but how gung-ho would you be for brownies at the expense of something else? Please telll meeee

uh dude, if it is going to have to come down to decision-making i can bring those too!  or at the very least i can bring the brownie mix because i have a giant box of it.

i just want to go to hot doug's and kuma's and a place with deep dish. also "who will help me make cupcakes? and what will make me help cupcakes?" -john "scott" walker, 2009

helloooo?  didn't we already decide that i am your cupcake making partner-in-crime? ):
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2009, 22:23 by iamiam »
Quote from: meebo
[11:09] Darryl: MaiAda: the Beat Happening of the QC boards
[11:10] Darryl: so subtly subversive that not everybody can even tell
[11:10] Darryl: punk as fuck
[11:10] Darryl: ponies and rainbows

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #557 on: 13 Jul 2009, 22:22 »

Does Chicago have good New Mexican places? There are cities with great ethnic food places and cities with none. Pretty sure NYC, for example, has a reputation as a city without much in the way of Mexican cuisine.

Popping in to say Chicago has shittons of Mexicans. I'm one of them, or at least half of one. I don't know specifically about "New Mexican" or "Tex-Mex" cuisine (my family regards Tex-Mex with scorn, never had it myself), as the food I regard as Mexican food is either common throughout Mexico or found particularly in Nuevo León and that sort of region. But there are multiple neighborhoods with significant Mexican communities, and plenty of places to find that sort of food to dine on or make yourself. Chicago is one of the largest Mexican communities in the United States.

Chicago is also the biggest Polish community outside of Warsaw, so if anybody wants Polish food or pastries there is plenty of that to be had. Other significant ethnic (and thus ethnic food) contingents are Greek, Italian, German, Indian, Chinese, Puerto Rican, and a smattering of Eastern Europeans. Lithuania and Ukraine I know for sure but I know plenty of people of Romanian descent. I just don't know where the major Romanian population center in Chicago might be.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #558 on: 13 Jul 2009, 23:12 »

or make yourself.

Another one of the many reasons that it sucks that I'm not going. Provided I could get my hands on a kitchen I could have forced a few of you guys to help me make tamales. They're a pain in the ass but the upshot is that the truly labor intensive part doesn't take any fancy equipment and can be safely done by a small child. 3 or 4 adults can bang out a ridiculous quantity of them very cheaply.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Zingoleb

« Reply #559 on: 14 Jul 2009, 01:08 »

Well, um, if it's still happening, I'd like to go. I'm not sure how many of you would actualy want to spend a weekend in a house with me, or rather, would want me in the house, but if I can convince my parents (they're domineering and controlling like that) count me in. I guess that would mean I'm a maybe for house/attending.

Tyler, you made the same mistake as me, don't feel bad.

nobo

« Reply #560 on: 14 Jul 2009, 04:17 »

Chicago is also the biggest Polish community outside of Warsaw, so if anybody wants Polish food or pastries there is plenty of that to be had. O

If you guys are interested in trying polish food, this is a relatively inexpensive polish buffet http://www.staropolskaofbelmont.com/
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #561 on: 14 Jul 2009, 10:34 »

We are doing American food. Or, well, North American continent food.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #562 on: 14 Jul 2009, 10:47 »

A lot of Polish foods were developed here though. Keep in mind that even chicken fried steak was most likely first made by Austrian immigrants. Wisconsin, Illinois and to a lesser extent, Minnesota are just swimming in Polish foods.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #563 on: 14 Jul 2009, 11:48 »

Does Chicago have good New Mexican places? There are cities with great ethnic food places and cities with none. Pretty sure NYC, for example, has a reputation as a city without much in the way of Mexican cuisine.

I'm not sure what New Mexican is, is that food from New Mexico? Because that's what Wikipedia is telling me. Anyway, my favorite Mexican restaurant: <A HREF="http://www.nuevoleonrestaurant.com>Nuevo Leon[/url]
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #564 on: 14 Jul 2009, 12:31 »

Yeah, that one's pretty good.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #565 on: 14 Jul 2009, 12:48 »

They have really good mole. You're not likely to go wrong anywhere in Pilsen, really.
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #566 on: 14 Jul 2009, 12:51 »

Definitely. Pilsen, Little Village, South Chicago are full of decent to good Mexican restaurants.

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #567 on: 14 Jul 2009, 13:59 »

Started this post before I saw the above four, so I guess I'm just verifying what they say.

Does Chicago have good New Mexican places?

My neighborhood (Pilsen) has all the Mexican food you could eat, all at an extremely reasonable price. (And all places are BYOB.) In fact, Nuevo Leone is the first place I take guests - it's a 5 minute walk from my condo and is ridiculously good.

i just want to go to hot doug's and kuma's and a place with deep dish. also "who will help me make cupcakes? and what will make me help cupcakes?" -john "scott" walker, 2009

Be prepared to wait for 1-2 hours at Hot Doug’s. Dunno about Kuma’s. Giordano’s, Uno’s or Due’s are good places to go for deep dish.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

ackblom12

« Reply #568 on: 14 Jul 2009, 14:14 »

Kat has agreed to make her Super Pecan Pie at Chicago. Delicious.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #569 on: 14 Jul 2009, 15:10 »

I have a hard time parsing the idea of bad mole.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #570 on: 14 Jul 2009, 15:16 »

Oh trust me, it is very easy to have bad mole, in fact most mole is bad mole.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #571 on: 14 Jul 2009, 19:02 »

Guys I just want to say I am totes not cooking anything.  I am coming on holiday to eat food I have not cooked, not cook in another country.

I will however eat many things you put in front of me, and will help pay for ingredients etc obviously.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #572 on: 14 Jul 2009, 19:12 »

I can help bake things! I can help bake not special, but still very delicious things! I can also help cook and/or grill things.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #573 on: 14 Jul 2009, 19:26 »

I don't know much about things south of Lakeshore Drive

You mean Indiana?  Lakeshore Drive runs north/south the entire length of the city.

I'm not sure what New Mexican is, is that food from New Mexico? Because that's what Wikipedia is telling me. Anyway, my favorite Mexican restaurant: <A HREF="http://www.nuevoleonrestaurant.com>Nuevo Leon[/url]

I haven't yet tried it but just down the street from my new apartment is a Mexican place that multiple people have raved to me about:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/mixteco-grill-chicago
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009, 19:33 by jhocking »

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #574 on: 15 Jul 2009, 09:09 »

No, I meant the bit where it runs along Lake Michigan.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #575 on: 15 Jul 2009, 10:15 »

I figure she just means south of Hyde Park.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #576 on: 15 Jul 2009, 13:29 »

Zingoleb and Tinytyler (that is your new name, to avoid confusion), please don't feel offended. When I first started thinking about going to this I had been here ages and still felt kind of new. I put out a couple of feelers and met up with some people near to where I lived and it was all very gradual. The problem isn't personal at all, it's the trust thing. Anyone can be anyone on the internet and we need to know for certain that the people who are coming are people we can trust. Primarily that happens through them having been met by other people. It's all very cliquey and maybe a little unequal but the facelessness of the internet means you have to be absolutely sure of who you're talking to, and that you actually want to spend two weeks with them (or however long, we're not all spending two weeks together on this one). Basically, don't take it too personally :)

And after that little lecture OH MY GOODNESS YOU GUYS I AM GOING TO ANOTHER CONTINENT NEXT WEEK.

It isn't possible for me to express how excited I am about this.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Zingoleb

« Reply #577 on: 15 Jul 2009, 21:55 »

Hey, I wasn't offended at all. I understand perfectly where y'all are coming from.

My name is Edward, by the way.

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #578 on: 16 Jul 2009, 14:54 »

Cullen?
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #579 on: 16 Jul 2009, 23:48 »

HEY GUYS I FLY TO AMERICA IN THREE DAYS OH MAN CRAZY AHHHHHHH
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Zingoleb

« Reply #580 on: 17 Jul 2009, 01:42 »

Cullen?

Oh man fuck you SO HARD

That is the reason why I am seriously considering going by my middle name from now on PERMANENTLY

Fuck that book. Fuck that movie.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #581 on: 17 Jul 2009, 01:57 »

But there's no one called Ashley Cullen in the books!
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #582 on: 17 Jul 2009, 10:49 »

HEY GUYS I FLY TO AMERICA IN THREE DAYS OH MAN CRAZY AHHHHHHH

EEEEEEEEEEEEE

(Also we are going to be getting up super-early on Wednesday morning when we stay at my cousins' place. I hope you are ready for it.)
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #583 on: 17 Jul 2009, 11:36 »

-biscuits and gravy

It occurs to me, as I shovel some of this into my mouth, how important it is that this gets made, since this is a concept that non-Americans have a really really hard time with.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #584 on: 17 Jul 2009, 12:01 »

Some Americans, like me, have a hard time with it. Same with grits and goetta. Some breakfast foods make no sense. But I can make pancakes! Oh there will be pancakes.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #585 on: 17 Jul 2009, 12:49 »

Grits actually makes plenty of sense, because originally it was ground-up corn cobs back when people didn't want to waste anything, and now it's a tradition (and also not made of corn cobs anymore, but just regular corn). But I know what you mean, and I don't really care for grits either.

But I don't understand how you can no like biscuits and gravy, unless you haven't tried it and you just think it looks nasty.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #586 on: 17 Jul 2009, 17:53 »

I haven't yet tried it but just down the street from my new apartment is a Mexican place that multiple people have raved to me about:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/mixteco-grill-chicago

In case anyone was thinking of my suggestion for Mexican food, I just went tonight and it's pretty overrated.  Good food no doubt, but not nearly as good as those reviewers make it sound, and not worth making a trek for.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #587 on: 17 Jul 2009, 20:40 »

I love biscuits, I love sausage, I hate gravy. It's one of those things I've never been able to stand. (I was that super picky kid and now am a semi-picky older kid.)
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2009, 20:42 by Linds »

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #588 on: 17 Jul 2009, 21:03 »

biscuits!

gravy!

You guys are bloody odd.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #589 on: 17 Jul 2009, 21:06 »

once again ben betrays his heritage as the descendant of dudes who spent a lot of time on the ocean eating shitty food
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #590 on: 17 Jul 2009, 21:06 »

they were being punished, you see

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #591 on: 17 Jul 2009, 21:08 »

Then what do you yonder southerners call these?

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #592 on: 17 Jul 2009, 21:10 »

They look like scones.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #593 on: 17 Jul 2009, 21:14 »

After a quick investigation it seems that you guys do indeed call plain scones biscuits for some reason.  Odd!

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #594 on: 17 Jul 2009, 21:16 »

Oh god, now I want some scones, fuck you guyses.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #595 on: 17 Jul 2009, 21:18 »

Yeah, scones tend to be a bit harder and have stuff in them.

Man, I want biscuits with honey now. Hmm. Will have to wait til morning...

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #596 on: 17 Jul 2009, 21:27 »

Yeah, scones tend to be a bit harder and have stuff in them.

ben will never know the joy of a light fluffy biscuit, freshly baked and slowly melting the pat of butter placed on its gently steaming surface

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #597 on: 17 Jul 2009, 22:39 »

Sure I will, only I'll be calling it a scone.  Scones are not always hard here.  There is quite a range.  Han and I just bought some fresh scones from the bakery up the road.  We're gonna have them with thickened cream and strawberry jam.  Nom nom nom.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #598 on: 18 Jul 2009, 00:10 »

Ben I love you.

guys I will not be calling those biscuits.  I will be calling them scones, just to spite you.

I am all packed!  Brisbane tomorrow, airport Monday!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #599 on: 18 Jul 2009, 08:46 »

Someone better alert border patrol.  Allowing that woman into this country could be catastrophic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up