THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 16:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I do not like Radiohead  (Read 26915 times)

SuburbanRhythm

Re: I do not like Radiohead
« Reply #50 on: 16 Feb 2009, 12:21 »

First off, every band is overrated by fanboys, and underrated by people who hate them. It's a fact of life. That's why, at least for me, I don't pay attention to what pretty much anyone says about bands until I've heard them myself. There's good and bad in all music, and you're just supposed to listen to what appeals to you and not listen to everything else. Is it really that complicated?

No, you're not alone in not liking Radiohead, a lot of people don't. But why the hell does it matter? That's the case for every band, and the only reason this is an issue at all is because they're "popular" and people "like them". If you don't, you don't, you shouldn't feel like you need to justify that. I think the Rolling Stones (aside from a few songs) were shit, I can't listen to most black metal (or most other kinds of metal, for that matter, especially of Nordic origin) because it ALL SOUNDS THE SAME, most "ambient music" isn't really music, and I think that most indie is awful, and just like any other genre, you have to dig through fifty albums of crap to find one good record. A lot of people would crucify me for those statements, but I couldn't care less.

If you're really looking for reasons people like them, I'm hesitant to say any because people who don't like a band always find a way to contradict anything you have to say. But I'll put myself out there anyway. I like Radiohead because they're interesting. The progression of different styles and new directions from their early stuff 'til now is awesome. I'm proud of the guys for not "finding a sound and sticking to it," because that's the way most creative decay comes about. I think most of their tunes are catchy and easy to listen to, but with enough musical and lyrical depth to hold my interest after a number of hearings. They're pop-y, but not TOO much so. Kid A and Amnesiac (both of which I'm still in love with after years of listening) are especially cool because they compliment and respond to each other so much. They make concept albums and push their own creative boundaries, but aren't too high and mighty to think they write the best stuff ever to come out of your speaker box. But the most important thing is, it just agrees with me.

There, that enough for you?

Beastmouth

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #51 on: 16 Feb 2009, 15:33 »

No. I want to know I'm not weird for disliking them. I want others to agree with me. I don't want to feel like a fucking douchebag for dislike a pretty boring band.

I do not want some dude to be a prick and repeatedly post the same shit to only aggitate me. Seriously, why do it? What's the point? I mean, honestly, I really can't see a reasoning. If this thread isn't to your standards, move on.
Maybe you shouldn't be that concerned with other people's opinions of your taste, perhaps?

Hell, I thought Hail to the Chief was some boring and on the tail of two 'experimental' albums that really didn't cover as much new ground as the music press said, so I just didn't listen to them for three or four years.  Now I'm listening to them again. 

De gustibus non disputandam, kay?
Quote from: Lao_Tse
The song that can be sung is not the great Song.

Iron_Fist

• Larger than most fish
  • Derp-derpa doo.
« Reply #52 on: 16 Feb 2009, 16:00 »

I have never liked Radiohead. And personally, I just don't care enough to talk about it any more than in this post here.

The end.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #53 on: 16 Feb 2009, 16:31 »

i like some radiohead songs you guys
    /
:-D

Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #54 on: 16 Feb 2009, 18:04 »

Holy moly Jeph posted in the music forum and it wasn't about guitars!

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #55 on: 16 Feb 2009, 18:27 »

- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Harun

« Reply #56 on: 16 Feb 2009, 19:20 »

never really got into Radiohead stuff but liked Thom Yorke's solo album... :| :roll: :-P

kanavazk

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #57 on: 16 Feb 2009, 19:24 »

On another note. It seems to be popular not to like Radiohead lately. This is like the fourth forum I've seen a thread like this on this year? For some reason Muse fans have a problem with the band  :-D (i personally like both)
I've noticed that (both things) too. All my friends who are into music either like Radiohead or Muse, and not both. I like them both too, although they've both released material I don't like that much at all.

(And holy crap, jeph posted!)

Beastmouth

« Reply #58 on: 16 Feb 2009, 20:23 »

Jeph :-D<3

And yeah, I have lots of boners for Radiohead, so I can't really help you out, Ema. It's fine that you don't like them though. If everyone had the same taste in music life would be pretty terrible. Maybe his voice is too whiny, or you just don't like their vibe. I remember introducing my father to Radiohead. He thought they were alright but didn't care for them because they didn't sound enough like Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple or Muddy Waters.

*shrugs*
Yeah, even if you think they suck, you can't think they suck as much as Zep!  :-P

Dunnoe

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #59 on: 16 Feb 2009, 22:06 »

does mr. jacques rarely post up his opinions on things other than guitars?

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #60 on: 16 Feb 2009, 22:25 »

Basically.  Most of the old guard doesnt really take part in the forums with the except of Est
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Stupid Human

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #61 on: 16 Feb 2009, 23:48 »

Jeph :-D<3
If everyone had the same taste in music life would be pretty terrible.

Pretty much.

I'm really not much of a radiohead fan (and I definitely haven't hear all their albums) but I'm cool with most RH fans.  There are worse fanboys/girls out there.

Wardial3r

« Reply #62 on: 17 Feb 2009, 00:39 »

They're usually not something I'd change if I heard them on the radio or on a shuffle or something, but not something I'd ever put on.  I liked the bends basically, and I like playing Creep on Rock Band, but they in my eyes a bit overrated.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #63 on: 17 Feb 2009, 01:13 »

[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

el_loco_avs

• Furry furrier
« Reply #64 on: 17 Feb 2009, 01:23 »

Radiohead were a crappy one-hit wonder band and that one hit "creep" was so whiny my balls fell off.

practicing my trolling. I've actually seen posts with something along this line of thinking. I just hoped those were trolls too.

Beastmouth

« Reply #65 on: 17 Feb 2009, 06:54 »

Radiohead were a crappy one-hit wonder band and that one hit "creep" was so whiny my balls fell off.

practicing my trolling. I've actually seen posts with something along this line of thinking. I just hoped those were trolls too.
Well, it's not very good.  Maybe this would have cut it up until they won the Grammy for OKC, but now you've really got to say that they 'descended into arty farty wankery' or something to really troll effectively. 

Or maybe just curse more!  :-P

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #66 on: 17 Feb 2009, 07:31 »

Didn't read the thread, assumed it was mostly snarky people with inferiority complexes defining themselves by what they don't like, and oversensitive Radiohead fans getting upset about it. Prove me wrong!

I think it is funny that as I get older I really enjoy Radiohead's more downtempo and less rocking songs a lot more. High and Dry,  Fake Plastic Trees, Exit Music (For a Film) etc as opposed to the songs I really liked as a teenager like Just and Electioneering.

I'm getting old :( And the best part is that those slower songs will be on easy listening radio in 20 years and that is hilarious because People will call songs that Thom Yorke sings on "easy listening"
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

spoon_of_grimbo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #67 on: 17 Feb 2009, 07:47 »

what's that thom yorke solo album like then?  i've heard harrowdon hill and it was pretty good.  is the rest of it in a similar vein?

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #68 on: 17 Feb 2009, 08:00 »

I vaguely remember it being the most aurally offensive thing I had ever heard at the time when I tried to listen to the album in one go, but have since then heard individual songs and not minded them, I think it is just listening to an entire album full of that sort of music that sets me off.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #69 on: 17 Feb 2009, 08:12 »

what's that thom yorke solo album like then?  i've heard harrowdon hill and it was pretty good.  is the rest of it in a similar vein?

It's like a more organic Kid A. Kind of... acoustic electronica, as twattish as that sounds. Lots of beats and loops, but still quite a warm sound to it and with some acoustic instruments mixed in.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

spoon_of_grimbo

« Reply #70 on: 17 Feb 2009, 12:15 »

It's like a more organic Kid A. Kind of... acoustic electronica, as twattish as that sounds. Lots of beats and loops, but still quite a warm sound to it and with some acoustic instruments mixed in.

i've not heard much radiohead stuff post-okcomputer, other than the odd single, but that still kinda sounds intriguing...

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #71 on: 17 Feb 2009, 12:24 »

I really dig Radiohead, but I try not to tell people too much.  I'm waiting until enough hipsters have declared their dislike for Radiohead and then I'm going to go shouting my affection for Radiohead from the rooftops, declaring that all these people who don't like Radiohead "just don't get it" because they're too mainstream. 

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #72 on: 17 Feb 2009, 17:25 »

i've not heard much radiohead stuff post-okcomputer, other than the odd single, but that still kinda sounds intriguing...

Basically, take away Jonny Greenwood's arsey guitar (which I love, I'm just sayng) and almost all real percussion, and you're close.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #73 on: 17 Feb 2009, 18:26 »

I think it is funny that as I get older I really enjoy Radiohead's more downtempo and less rocking songs a lot more. High and Dry,  Fake Plastic Trees, Exit Music (For a Film) etc as opposed to the songs I really liked as a teenager like Just and Electioneering.

I honestly never much cared for their rocking stuff and I actively dislike Creep, mostly due to Yorke's voice; it has always felt to me like a round hole, square peg situation. Still, I've never regretted my purchase of the Bends, and two of the songs you've mentioned are big reasons why.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Retrospectre

• Curry sauce
« Reply #74 on: 17 Feb 2009, 22:24 »

I used to really dislike Radiohead but I sat down and listened to The Bends,OK Computer and Kid A the other week and enjoyed them all.

It's not the best music I've ever heard in my life but it was fine.

Novocaine

« Reply #75 on: 18 Feb 2009, 00:11 »

Just thought I'd chime in and offer up a reason as to why people (including myself) like Radiohead. I'm just quoting someone else who phrased it far more succinctly than I could:

"I'd say that that they [Radiohead] appeal to a minority of the rock/pop audience in general. Their songs tend to be idiosyncratic and feature atypical arrangements and fairly unusual songwriting quirks and structures (as far as pop music goes). They obviously put a lot of care into their end product, seem to value their fervent fanbase, put on an elaborate live show and play a marathon every single night for the people who have traveled or paid scalper's significant amounts of money. i.e... they give a fuck. They try to make their fans happy. And for people with an artistic bent, it's easy to appreciate them flaunting their growing artistry over what surely would have been better choices career wise. Certainly the choices the labels and their management would have preferred."

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #76 on: 18 Feb 2009, 00:44 »

It's not the best music I've ever heard in my life but it was fine.

Ding ding ding
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #77 on: 18 Feb 2009, 01:00 »

I just don't see it. So many people have so many boners for them. I don't. I just don't see why people think they are so amazing. They're ok, but seriously. Why does everyone act like they are even near the same league as a group like.... The Beatles, for example? I can't stand to listen to them for much more than one song. I like a few singles, but I find their albums generally lacking. Is there something I am missing? Why does everybody worship them so much? I mean, I like weird, arty shit. I like mopey bastards. I like the idea of Radiohead, just not the music. I don't know. Someone care to explain it to me? Anyone else want to join me in my dislike of them?
You want me to explain why people like Linkin Park?
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #78 on: 18 Feb 2009, 02:34 »

Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #79 on: 18 Feb 2009, 05:00 »

I love Radiohead

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #80 on: 19 Feb 2009, 04:27 »

I don't like 'em.

Honestly, I have the feeling that every couple of years the british music press decide that such-and-such band is the new Beatles and they get hyped accordingly. So ... Radiohead, Blurr, Oasis, Pulp, Coldplay ... all overhyped because of Beatle-envy.

Of course, I grew up on Metallica and CoF. So what the hell do I know about pop music?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #81 on: 19 Feb 2009, 05:18 »

I am so getting fucked with

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #82 on: 19 Feb 2009, 06:29 »

I think I've only heard two songs by Radiohead, Creep and whatever song it is on a cd that's from In Rainbows. I like both, but I do not like both enough to actively seek them out. That and the whole "Muse and Coldplay ripped off Radiohead" shit got too old too fast, which is another reason I never went out of my way to listen to anything by them, because if people were that stupid to think they all sounded the same, then they are not really worth listening to.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

PassiveTheory

« Reply #83 on: 19 Feb 2009, 06:58 »

Hey, don't worry about it. Basically, I used to hate Radiohead, mainly due to their fervent fanbase. Then, one winter a while back, I listened to every single album and started to like them. So, yeah, I've become what I used to hate, but at least not to the same degree as other RH fans. Still, I hate talking to motherfuckers who think Thom Yorke is Jesus Christ in the flesh, and that think that the band's views are unquestionable (i.e. the Grammy performance vs. their stance on pollution, etc.).

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #84 on: 19 Feb 2009, 07:26 »

They have a stance on pollution?

Is it different from: pollution is bad?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #85 on: 19 Feb 2009, 08:37 »

It's not the best music I've ever heard in my life; in fact it's utterly awful.

Ding ding ding

^_____^

I detest Radiohead. It was originally one of those "hate the fans & therefore the band" type deals, but during a brief Open MindedTM phase a year or so I got OK Computer and The Bends and gave each of them a huge amount of listens. The end result was me knowing that I really, really hate Radiohead.

Yossarian

« Reply #86 on: 19 Feb 2009, 09:24 »

I really dig Radiohead, but I try not to tell people too much.  I'm waiting until enough hipsters have declared their dislike for Radiohead and then I'm going to go shouting my affection for Radiohead from the rooftops, declaring that all these people who don't like Radiohead "just don't get it" because they're too mainstream. 

My thoughts exactly :lol: .

Just thought I'd chime in and offer up a reason as to why people (including myself) like Radiohead. I'm just quoting someone else who phrased it far more succinctly than I could:

"I'd say that that they [Radiohead] appeal to a minority of the rock/pop audience in general. Their songs tend to be idiosyncratic and feature atypical arrangements and fairly unusual songwriting quirks and structures (as far as pop music goes). They obviously put a lot of care into their end product, seem to value their fervent fanbase, put on an elaborate live show and play a marathon every single night for the people who have traveled or paid scalper's significant amounts of money. i.e... they give a fuck. They try to make their fans happy. And for people with an artistic bent, it's easy to appreciate them flaunting their growing artistry over what surely would have been better choices career wise. Certainly the choices the labels and their management would have preferred."

Those are excellent reasons, indeed. And they all play a role in my affection for this band. But in the end, all it boils down to is the fact, that again and again their music seems to be able to push the right buttons, appealing to my gut feeling - rather than just intellect. That's what makes people love a band, as opposed to generating "just" appreciation. There are limits to our "understanding" of why someone really likes something (or someone, for that matter). You may look for patterns in music, style, behaviour a.s.o., but none will ever fully explain human affections. You don't feel it - you don't get it (and most of all: there's no need to "get it").

eddie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #87 on: 19 Feb 2009, 11:20 »

I think Radiohead are partly to blame for Coldplay, Keane and Snow patrol which is enough reason to have them all lined up against the wall and shot.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #88 on: 19 Feb 2009, 15:16 »

As far as Coldplay goes, about a year and a half after Yellow came out, Hipsters were shouting their affection from rooftops, then they got famous because a bunch of lame people liked them and now they are a favour target of Hipster hater *sigh*

Anyway, like them or hate them, they are good at composing music and writing songs, if you dont like them, or dont like their fans, shut up about it.  Otherwise there is nothing to discern you from the band of ignorant douchbags who currently enjoy hating on them for the wrong reasons.  Because, lets face it, you dont want to be one of those people.

Beastmouth

« Reply #89 on: 19 Feb 2009, 23:07 »

I think I've only heard two songs by Radiohead, Creep and whatever song it is on a cd that's from In Rainbows. I like both, but I do not like both enough to actively seek them out. That and the whole "Muse and Coldplay ripped off Radiohead" shit got too old too fast, which is another reason I never went out of my way to listen to anything by them, because if people were that stupid to think they all sounded the same, then they are not really worth listening to.
Just because someone sees a pale shadow of Radiohead in Coldplay does not mean that cold play are in any way an accurate reflection of Radiohead, hth

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #90 on: 20 Feb 2009, 06:06 »

I think Radiohead are partly to blame for Coldplay, Keane and Snow patrol which is enough reason to have them all lined up against the wall and shot.

I reckon Jeff Buckley can shoulder some of the blame there.

el_loco_avs

• Furry furrier
« Reply #91 on: 23 Feb 2009, 01:41 »

I reckon Jeff Buckley can shoulder some of the blame there.

Yep. Radiohead themselves had Jeff as an influence. I recall something about them saying he kickstarted them out of writers-block for The Bends. Writing Fake Plastic Trees the night after a Buckley show or something.  :-o

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #92 on: 23 Feb 2009, 15:29 »

The dude is already dead and he was hardly without influences of his own. There's no call for blaming Snow Patrol on the poor guy.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #93 on: 23 Feb 2009, 16:12 »

Is Snow Patrol such really more than just a blip on the radar?  I mean, what have they done lately

spoon_of_grimbo

« Reply #94 on: 23 Feb 2009, 17:41 »

Is Snow Patrol such really more than just a blip on the radar?  I mean, what have they done lately

i don't get the hate for them tbqh.  i'm not a huge fan or anything, but having ripped my mum's snow patrol albums to my laptop a while ago, i occasionally find myself giving them a listen.  they're not bad at all tbh.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #95 on: 23 Feb 2009, 17:47 »

I like Chasing Cars or whatever its called, but I mean have they even released an album since like '05

And that goes for Keane too
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2009, 17:54 by Chesire Cat »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #96 on: 23 Feb 2009, 17:58 »

Yes to both. Just because a record's not out in America - or it's not impacted the charts - doesn't mean there's not one out.

Durin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #97 on: 23 Feb 2009, 18:02 »

I love Radiohead because I think it's good music.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #98 on: 23 Feb 2009, 18:19 »

or it's not impacted the charts

Then who the fuck cares?

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #99 on: 23 Feb 2009, 21:20 »

Who the fuck are Radiohead I'll take my 10 credibility points now time to buy some cheap cocaine with that shit
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up