THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Circuit City Liquidation Sale!!!  (Read 11559 times)

ZedAvatar

• Plantmonster
    • Xbox Live Profile
Circuit City Liquidation Sale!!!
« on: 16 Feb 2009, 19:04 »

So my local Circuit City is closing early (the rest of the chain will be deadsies around March), and I just got a crapton of games for $2 each.  Titles include: Unreal Tournament 3, Team Fortress 2, Prince of Persia, Soul Calibur 4, Rock Band, STALKER, and more.  Just thought I'd pass it on that even though CC is closing (which sucks), we can still milk some great deals out of them while we can! 

Maybe this thread can become a "Check out this <product name here> that I got for <holy crap cheap price here>" fun place.

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*
Re: Circuit City Liquidation Sale!!!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2009, 19:06 »

I got a copy of NES Pro Wrestling for under 3 dollars.

I'm not sure whether or not that's a deal.
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

kanavazk

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2009, 19:35 »

OK, I heard about the liquidation, but Rock Band for $2? That's insane!
I haven't really had any really good deals ever, computer- or video game-related.

Fatstrings

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2009, 14:29 »

damn all our circuit cities did is take off all their original discounts THEN took of 10%, making a lot of their stuff more expensive then original, after they sold most of it under the pretense of cheapness they started taking of 10% each successive week...bastards

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2009, 15:42 »

That's how liquidators work. It's got nothing to do with Circuit City.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Fatstrings

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2009, 19:01 »

yep, but the ps3 games are down to $30 now or so my roommate says

ZedAvatar

• Plantmonster
    • Xbox Live Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2009, 12:16 »

That's how liquidators work. It's got nothing to do with Circuit City.

Exactly - people walk into the store in the first week of liquidation, see the signs that say "STORE CLOSING" and "EVERYTHING MUST GO!!!" and somehow think they are going to get a great deal.  I got my deals in the absolute final days of the sale - the Rock Band for $2 was just the game disc, but I also got the Wireless Drum set for $5 when everything went to 95% off!

Fluxuation

• Plantmonster
    • http://www.myspace.com/andrew87part2
« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2009, 12:43 »

I went a couple days ago, I bought Dead Space, Fallout 3, and the orange box for $83. I asked when they are closing down for good and a girl there told me march 16. I will probably go in again right before that day to see if the deals are better.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2009, 11:09 »

they wanted $20 for diablo 2

are you fucking serious

also the store was picked fucking clean and full of minorities.
also israel

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2009, 11:24 »

The Diablo 2 battle chest usually goes for $40 even today, so you did get a pretty good discount there.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2009, 16:16 »

I went to Circuit City yesterday and the video games were gone.

All of them.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2009, 16:34 »

Yeah, Blizzard lowers prices for no man.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2009, 17:41 »

The Diablo 2 battle chest usually goes for $40 even today, so you did get a pretty good discount there.

except it isn't the battle chest, it was just d2, and they didn't have the expansion.
also israel

Fatstrings

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2009, 19:08 »

pretty sure you can get it for less than that through blizzard's website

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2009, 19:41 »

Yeah, isn't it only like 10$?  That might also just be D2 and not the expansion, though.  So essentially 20$ all the same.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #15 on: 24 Feb 2009, 13:29 »

I got them both for 50NOK ($6-7 ) apiece a couple of years ago in the local fantasy shoppe. I couldn't buy a hamburger menu for that. $20 is just stupidly much for a game that got out in 2000.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #16 on: 24 Feb 2009, 13:50 »

checked my local store today. Most everything they had as far as hardware goes was still more expensive than equivalent products on Newegg. They had some pretty good deals on GPS systems, though. Considering getting one.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Fatstrings

ZedAvatar

• Plantmonster
    • Xbox Live Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 Apr 2009, 20:33 »

Apparently you can get Diablo2 and the Expansion for $5. Check out this article on The Frugal Gamer.

http://www.thefrugalgamer.com/?fuse=873

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #19 on: 02 Apr 2009, 21:59 »

i went back on the last day and they were still asking $20 for that goddamn diablo 2

also they had like 10 sets of these portable rock band drum kits, and they wanted $60 apiece for them. the regular kit is only $50! what the fuck!

They would not lower the price, even when the store was gonna close FOREVER in 10 minutes.
also israel

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #20 on: 03 Apr 2009, 00:50 »

There was a This American Life about the Circuit City closings, actually. The reason for the high prices was because when CC filed for bankruptcy, the liquidation companies that took over the stores, instead of instituting sales on existing prices, reverted all prices back to the manufacturer's "suggested retail price" and instituted sales on those prices. And in a lot of cases prices actually went up. In spite of this, CC sales spiked dramatically. It's a humorous phenomenon in consumer culture - we'll pay more for something if we think we're getting a deal.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #21 on: 03 Apr 2009, 07:38 »

well, the people i saw there looked like morons, and the store was PICKED CLEAN.
also israel

sean

• welp
« Reply #22 on: 03 Apr 2009, 17:09 »

i went  while back to see if i could get cheap headphones. they had jack shit, and it was all expensive.

fkkkkkkkkk you consumerism.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Nodaisho

« Reply #23 on: 03 Apr 2009, 18:18 »

Yeah, most of the stuff I saw was either still as expensive as other stores, or not even on sale. And this is why they are out of business.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #24 on: 03 Apr 2009, 18:28 »

Actually they went out of business because they laid off all their experienced staff not long ago because they were too expensive, leaving newbs in charge of all the departments where experience really matters.

And it's been said, but Circuit City was always better than Best Buy w/r/t hardware, more or less. I know their selection of mp3 players was much much more robust than BB's. And their warranties were a lot better as well. They just didn't have good software selection, which meant that most people didn't see the point of the place.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #25 on: 03 Apr 2009, 18:46 »

Retailers do that all the time, John, that wasn't what caused it, just an indicator that the writing was on the wall.

Circuit City's been on its way out since the nineties, to be perfectly honest. I was actually with the company back when they had a round of layoffs back in 2003. They eliminated commission to try and curb new employee salaries a bit (The place was a fucking dream come true for a teenager, I made $8 to start PLUS commission), compensating high sellers by averaging everyone's yearly commission aggregates into a base pay. Unfortunately, this resulted in a large number of extremely high sellers in big market regions  being let go because they were too expensive. While it sucks, I can completely understand it, as there were salesmen making more than management and sales really isn't a job that deserves the $30+ an hour that some dudes laid off were pulling in (I think the cutoff was $26 an hour that they started letting people go). While sales isn't as easy as some people make it out to be, electronics retail is not a job anybody should be pulling in close to $60K a year doing.

Best Buy and Wal-Mart are why CC went under. Wal-Mart's always been cheaper and while CC generally had better customer service and prices than Best Buy, Best Buy had much better marketing and had some extremely aggressive expansion in the late nineties. My store closed in late 2003 because we were actively pulling business away from a full-sized store (We were one of the boutique stores in a mall, only two of which survived that particular downsizing nationwide) that was already having trouble due to the Best Buy that had moved in next door.

While, yeah, it's fun to hate on the big guy, Circuit City folded because of Best Buy and Wal-Mart, not because they laid off a bunch of people who were, for the most part, making much more money than they were worth.
JON MADE ME GAY

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #26 on: 03 Apr 2009, 22:31 »

I went the Friday before they closed (the CC in town hung on until the very end), and the only useful things they had left were a UPS with a dead battery and an ATX power supply tester. Unfortunately the UPS's battery was dead, but I found a replacement in the garage.

:D

Best of all, the new battery is bigger than the original, but it still barely fits. (There were a bunch of plastic bits that had to be ripped out, but that was pretty easy. It looks like they used the same molds to make several models with different capacities.) Bigger battery = more backup runtime.

Other than that they had piles of random broken DVDs, beaten floor model laptops for NewEgg prices, the 80s TV with knobs from the employee break room for $20, assorted printers with missing and/or broken parts, and tons of cables and video distribution parts they used for the HDTV displays. (Oh and heaps of security tags and plastic boxes.)
« Last Edit: 03 Apr 2009, 22:35 by bicostp »

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #27 on: 04 Apr 2009, 08:51 »

I don't think he's talking about expansion packs. In terms of value, I bought Diablo 2 classic about three years ago for 19.95. So is Circuit City closed completely or are they still trying to get rid of shit? I'll willing get some stuff if games are like 40% off.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #28 on: 04 Apr 2009, 09:19 »

They closed every store down completely almost a month ago. The only stores labeled "Circuit City" that are still open are "The Source by Circuit City" stores, which is actually RadioShack's Canadian branch.

Quote from: circuitcity.com
Circuit City would like to thank the millions of customers who have shopped with us during the past 60 years. Unfortunately, we announced on January 16, 2009, that we are closing our stores.

CircuitCity.com is also temporarily closed, although we anticipate the website will reopen in the coming weeks. Please check back for updates.

Sounds like they want to re-open as an online retailer! :D

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #29 on: 04 Apr 2009, 14:42 »

aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgh fuck you circuit city so glad i did not ever buy anything at that store.
also israel

ZedAvatar

• Plantmonster
    • Xbox Live Profile
« Reply #30 on: 05 Apr 2009, 10:54 »

Other reasons they went under - they invested heavily in the Divx experiment; they sunk $500 million into a new Point of Sale system that was never implemented.

Yeah, most of the stuff I saw was either still as expensive as other stores, or not even on sale. And this is why they are out of business.

Sorry buddy, but you're completely wrong - as has been stated multiple times, once the stores went into liquidation, they were no longer "Circuit City" stores per se.  Every shred of merchandise was sold to a liquidation company, who marked everything up to full MSRP, then took discounts off the top of that.  At first, the discounts were small (10-30%), but as the weeks went on, the discounts got better, until the very last days, where everything was 80-90% off.  On the final day, everything was 95% off, then they implemented a "everything you can fit in a basket is $5" deal.  The idea is to remain as profitable as possible for as long as possible.

i went back on the last day and they were still asking $20 for that goddamn diablo 2

also they had like 10 sets of these portable rock band drum kits, and they wanted $60 apiece for them. the regular kit is only $50! what the fuck!

They would not lower the price, even when the store was gonna close FOREVER in 10 minutes.

Umm.....no.  I got my Rock Band portable drum kit for $5, a $100 Logitech MX Revolution mouse for $5, a $300 office chair for $20 and a ton of games for $2 apiece.  Now, since I heard there were actually four different liquidation companies involved, so different stores may have had different deals, which sucks for some people i guess.

I totaled up everything i bought, and calculated the original prices vs. what i actually paid - I got $2699 worth of merch for just under $300.  Hell of a win (for me at least, I pity the 30,000+ people who got canned).

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #31 on: 05 Apr 2009, 11:29 »

ZedAvatar, nobody is picking fights with you. There's no need to be a dick to prove your point.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

ZedAvatar

• Plantmonster
    • Xbox Live Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 Apr 2009, 17:26 »

I fail to see how I was being a dick, but I apologize if that's what it seemed. 

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #33 on: 05 Apr 2009, 17:36 »

Umm.....no.

This right here comes off as very flippant. It just looks like you're contradicting my experience, of which you were neither observer nor arbiter.
also israel

ZedAvatar

• Plantmonster
    • Xbox Live Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 Apr 2009, 18:47 »

Point taken.  Apparently we have had mutually contradictory experiences.  I was merely trying to point out that what some people were posting as "fact" might not be true for everyone everywhere.  I wasn't intentionally trying to be combative, and I apologize.  In the future I shall endeavor to be more delicate with my choice of words.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #35 on: 05 Apr 2009, 20:35 »

Yeah!  Fuck ZedAvatar!  He gave my mother cancer!

DOGPILE!

ZedAvatar

• Plantmonster
    • Xbox Live Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 Apr 2009, 22:53 »

That'd be true....if cancer were an STD!!!

See, now I'm in a pickle - the fact that I insinuated that I slept with your mother is funny, but having cancer isn't.  What is a girl to do?

Anyways I feel we've gotten a bit off topic.  Soooooo......anyone want to take bets as to how long it takes Best Buy to go under?  My money's on November 5, 2011.
« Last Edit: 05 Apr 2009, 22:55 by ZedAvatar »

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #37 on: 05 Apr 2009, 23:07 »

Who's Best Buy competing with? I thought they were the Big Dude.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #38 on: 05 Apr 2009, 23:11 »

That'd be true....if cancer were an STD!!!

Cervical cancer is.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #39 on: 06 Apr 2009, 10:32 »

Best Buy's competition are Wal-Mart and the internet. Best Buy's losing casual consumers to Wal-Mart, since they're usually cheaper and more convenient, while the techies are generally sticking to the internet as it's always cheaper and generally has a better selection.
JON MADE ME GAY

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #40 on: 06 Apr 2009, 11:52 »

I once had to buy something from best buy, because it was literally the only place in town that had sold a powersupply after 5pm.

it cost me like 4x what that motherfucker was worth fuck you best buy
also israel

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #41 on: 07 Apr 2009, 03:35 »

What is a girl to do?

Tits or GTFO?

Anwyays, in the southwest Best Buy has to compete with Frys Electronics. Motherfuckers have tons of stuff for better prices usually, and they always have sales. The store they have down the street from me is also fuckin huge and for some ridiculous reason it is in the mayan/aztec theme. They have wall paintings of people buying TVs and computers and shit.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.
Pages: [1]   Go Up