THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 06:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: well, he told her.  (Read 30638 times)

JonSnow

• Emoticontraindication
Re: well, he told her.
« Reply #100 on: 18 Feb 2009, 12:09 »

You don't mix Glenlivet with ANYTHING. If you must mix scotch with lemonade, or coke, or sour, or piss for that matter, use crown royal or some other cheap tasteless shit. Then you'll actually be helping it out  :laugh:

I'm a whisky drinker an I approve of this message. If it's from Scotland and Single Malt, it's good enough to get a glass to itself.

Anything else is like putting Ketchup (own label at that) on Foie Gras.

I look at the whole Sven thing as such:

Men go out with women hoping they'll never change; women go out with men hoping they will...

Americans drown everything in ketchup and I'm quite sure they put ketchup on foie gras :p
I know for a fact that they put ketchup on oysters. Baked Oysters at that, while every culinary lover knows that you're supposed to eat oysters raw, with a nice dressing or some pepper and lemonjuice.

Making wrong combinations is only a proof of ignorance :), so an ingnorant whisky drinker wont care what whisky he mixes with his coke, and ranting about it wont make him see how badly he's butchering the single malts

ps: William Lawsons is a scottish whisky that you could mix with Coke without remorse, as is J&B, and even Johnny Walker Red label. Under NO circumstances do you mix glenn fiddich with anything though
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2009, 12:10 by JonSnow »

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*
« Reply #101 on: 18 Feb 2009, 14:35 »

For the record, I find ketchup frigging disgusting.
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

QuarterFire

• Emoticontraindication
  • o rly?
« Reply #102 on: 18 Feb 2009, 14:45 »

What is in fact a sign of ignorance, is calling someone ignorant simply because they find a different combination of food tasty.

SleeperCylon

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #103 on: 18 Feb 2009, 15:50 »

Yeah, I feel bad for Faye, but this isn't anything she couldn't have forseen five moves ahead.  Sven was very clear he hadn't made any commitment to her.

Of course, I have no sympathy for Sven.  He knew exactly how much it would hurt Faye when he did it, and refused to exercise impulse control.

I think eventually after a while the friendship between the two will be salvageable, because Faye is the type who lashes out then forgives when she calms down.  But for any romance between them in the future it would take complete monogamy and commitment on his part.

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #104 on: 18 Feb 2009, 15:58 »

Sven is hardly an asshole, he had a no-strings-attached sexual partner. If Faye got too emotionally involved and got her feelings hurt then its her own fault.

That said, I bet in grief she confides in Marten and then makes a move on him. Marten being the sissy that he is will go along with Faye and that'll cause him and Dora to break up once she finds out. In the end Faye and Marten feel guilty and nobody is happy.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Lyrical

• Plantmonster
« Reply #105 on: 18 Feb 2009, 17:20 »

It wasn't "no strings," though, she specifically said she would only have sex with him if he wasn't having sex with anyone else.  He didn't deliberately set out to hurt her with it, and getting drunk does mess with self control a lot, but if they were in an open relationship where he could have sex with whoever he wanted to, he'd have already been doing just that.  I don't think he's a jerk or a douchebag for doing it so much as for planning to cover it up.  If it was no big deal and no problem, he wouldn't have been having regrets while he was doing it, too.

I don't think it was fair or realistic of her to ask for a monogamous relationship without emotional commitment, but I thought she made it clear that was what she was offering, and he'd been able to handle it until then.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #106 on: 18 Feb 2009, 20:09 »

It wasn't "no strings," though, she specifically said she would only have sex with him if he wasn't having sex with anyone else.
Faye---> wants cake
Faye---> eats cake

Faye---> complains that she can't have both.

She wanted a steady, monogamous relationship, but she didn't want the burden of the emotional effort of maintaining it.  She demanded fidelity and security and offered nothing in return.

I know why she demanded everything and delivered nothing, but it doesn't mean she was being irrational and stupid.

I don't think it was fair or realistic of her to ask for a monogamous relationship without emotional commitment, but I thought she made it clear that was what she was offering, and he'd been able to handle it until then.

Yeah, I think we're on the same page, here.

Thing is, I don't think he was handling it.  I think he was wanting more, and his admission of infidelity was huge.  It was him being open and vulnerable for the first time ever.   

At least having a fight would have been dealing with it and being part of a relationship.  But Faye just walked out.  She's still ... in denial?  That doesn't sound right.  Pushing people away; refusing to form real relationships.

Guido Sarducci

• FIGHT YOU
  • It'sa notta so bad...
« Reply #107 on: 18 Feb 2009, 20:11 »

AND she picked a serial monagamist  for a partner. :laugh:
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't, I'll just respond, cleverly." Donald Rumsfeld

SrMeowMeow

• Plantmonster
« Reply #108 on: 18 Feb 2009, 20:15 »

I don't think Faye overreacted either though. Sven wouldn't promise monogamy, Faye said she'd leave if he slept with someone else. He did, she left. They did everything but contractually agree on the relationship ending this way  :-P

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #109 on: 18 Feb 2009, 20:42 »

Way back when, I feel like Sven didn't want this to be a hook up.  He'd been hanging out with Faye for a while; she'd been challenging him about pretty much everything.  I think he invested in her even before they hooked up.

In short, I think Sven felt it was a relationship and treated it light-hearted more to play along with Faye.

Mallli_kite

• Being Different, just like everybody else.
« Reply #110 on: 18 Feb 2009, 20:44 »

Are we sure he was a serial monogamist?  I don't think that Sven would have been resistant to some secret polyamory at certain points in his life.  However, I think he might be changing.  People do.  It's kind of amazing to watch, in life and in fiction.

I find it endlessly fascinating how this comic can be twisted and interpreted depending on the person looking at it.  The differences in opinion range all over.  At times it feels like a modern literature class.

Mr. Jaques, you are doing a damn fine job.  People don't spend this much time talking and thinking about mediocre stuff or stuff that doesn't touch and affect them.

I have nothing to say, but that's never stopped me.

Guido Sarducci

• FIGHT YOU
  • It'sa notta so bad...
« Reply #111 on: 18 Feb 2009, 21:40 »

Are we sure he was a serial monogamist?  I don't think that Sven would have been resistant to some secret polyamory at certain points in his life.

you did see the smiley indicating I was joking, right?
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't, I'll just respond, cleverly." Donald Rumsfeld

JonSnow

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #112 on: 19 Feb 2009, 01:45 »

Dangit I loved Penn's verbal bitchslap and the faces that it got as a reaction

kabukiman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #113 on: 19 Feb 2009, 02:05 »

At least Pen was realistic. Sven may be an asshole, but what do you call, a person who want's to have a non emotional monogamous relationship with someone who cannot resist sex with any women?

tragic_pizza

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Board Certified Curmudgeon
« Reply #114 on: 19 Feb 2009, 02:53 »

Am I the only one who didn't feel anything about this strip?
I must be a robot or something.

Or someone with a life.
[21:19] andy: Mai, I am sorry, I am going to say this outright that I would doeverything in my power to try and have sweet girl love with you.

Mallli_kite

« Reply #115 on: 19 Feb 2009, 05:38 »

Are we sure he was a serial monogamist?  I don't think that Sven would have been resistant to some secret polyamory at certain points in his life.

Yes, I did.  Sorry, forgot to smile back.  It was late :)  Also, I was overcome with literary admiration and excessive sushi afterglow.

JonSnow

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #116 on: 19 Feb 2009, 06:08 »

Am I the only one who didn't feel anything about this strip?
I must be a robot or something.

Or someone with a life.

being emotionally empathic enough to share emotions with a story character does not make you have no life. Like you never secretly hoped the main character of a book would achieve this or do that. That the main character of a movie would get what he wanted, and felt sad when he didnt?

really you sounded condecending in that post and to a lot of people on this forum. Just because you're an emotional barren wasteland, doesnt mean that people that arent dont have a life. I'd even be implied to say their lives are a lot richer then yours

Sketchpad

« Reply #117 on: 19 Feb 2009, 07:15 »

I'm just glad that Faye reacted the way she did. If she had been angry at him, or yelled at him, I think I would've officially hated Faye. Getting in a fuckbuddy relationship and expecting the other person to treat it like a real relationship is stupid. But she absolutely allowed to be disappointed in what happened, as long as she doesn't take it out on Sven, which she didn't. Which imples that she's handling this a lot better then I expected her to. I thought for sure this would be a "choose sides" kind of ordeal.

Having said that, ha ha, Pen-Pen.

championofkhorne

« Reply #118 on: 19 Feb 2009, 07:48 »

Dora has the best death stare of any of the characters.

never have I been so afraid of a 105 pound unarmed mid-twenties girl

SrMeowMeow

• Plantmonster
« Reply #119 on: 19 Feb 2009, 10:37 »

And a fictional one at that!

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #120 on: 19 Feb 2009, 11:10 »

never have I been so afraid of a 105 pound unarmed mid-twenties girl

And a fictional one at that!

ok, maybe she isn't 20, and maybe she isn't quite 105 pounds, but still a lot scarier then Dora.
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2009, 11:12 by benji »
This signature is intentionally left blank.

eddie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #121 on: 19 Feb 2009, 11:28 »

I'm talking about violence in between the regular QC characters, especially those in relationships. It's occasionally implied that it might happen, but it doesn't. People just seemed to be expecting Faye to jump on Sven and beat tar out of him.

She did try to strangle Marten, she's also punched him, Dora and Rave.

hmartin89

« Reply #122 on: 19 Feb 2009, 14:39 »

In comic number 1307 Faye stated "Just because this isn't serious doesn't mean you can go around fucking any skank who catches your fancy. You sleep with someone else and I'm GONE."

Sven is an asshole. Faye is naive.

Sven knew how Faye felt about the arrangement. Even as he was doing it with Gina, he knew he was an ass. In the comic where he tells her, I'm really trying to decide whether him saying "Awesome" after she left depicts him as an ass, or he's just thankful he didn't loose his balls.

Faye knew it would happen. I'm thinking she was really hoping it wouldn't in the back of her mind, and she's probably pretty embarrassed.

In the end, I'm thinking Sven should be pretty worried that Faye didn't go apeshit on him.

YAY DEPRESSING COMIC WEEK #1

Its about damn time.
All we need now is for Dora's kitty do die, Raven gets the AIDS, and Wil ended up crashing his bike on an icy highway. Boom, 3 more days, 3 more strips. MAKE IT HAPPEN JEPH.

I'm thinking Raven probably already has AIDS. She does have a love of homeless men.
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2009, 14:41 by hmartin89 »

Guido Sarducci

• FIGHT YOU
  • It'sa notta so bad...
« Reply #123 on: 19 Feb 2009, 15:16 »

Yes, I did.  Sorry, forgot to smile back.  It was late :)  Also, I was overcome with literary admiration and excessive sushi afterglow.
mmmm sushi afterglow :) 

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #124 on: 19 Feb 2009, 20:20 »

For everyone's information, the Glenlivet stayed straight up until the very end.

That's Good Stuff.

Now I've gotta find some rum because Faye got another bitch-slap after going to, of all people, Dora.

I promised.

The liver is evil, and must be punished.

S
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

Mallli_kite

« Reply #125 on: 20 Feb 2009, 06:45 »

If you make your liver hate you, it will hurt you really bad.  Livers are like that.  Pate is the only real escape.

championofkhorne

« Reply #126 on: 20 Feb 2009, 11:47 »

dont piss off your liver, you need it.

thus the name

col

« Reply #127 on: 20 Feb 2009, 15:36 »

I'm really trying to decide whether him saying "Awesome" after she left depicts him as an ass, or he's just thankful he didn't loose his balls.
He was being sarcastic. Her leaving silently made him feel worse than if she had actually lashed out at him.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up