THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Scott Pilgrim and the Movie That Makes Me Nervous  (Read 75438 times)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: Scott Pilgrim and the Movie That Makes Me Nervous
« Reply #150 on: 16 Aug 2010, 22:19 »

I don't know. I grew up around the age of 16-bit gaming (my first console was a Genesis, natch) and I knew a lot of people who still played Nintendo at that point.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #151 on: 16 Aug 2010, 22:52 »

That's true, but I still think the article was right to point out that geeks and gamers are hardly a monoculture and that being a "geek film" doesn't necessarily mean that Scott Pilgrim will be everyone's particular flavor of geekiness. In my case their particular brand of early 20 something angsty hipster culture sends off a very strong signal to me that I'm dealing with something aimed at a group I don't really consider myself a part of. It's rather intimately tied into the "People over 30 won't get it" issue. A few video game references here and there doesn't do much to offset the "It's like an illustrated Relationship Thread" problem for me despite all my geekyness.

Christ, sorry about all those edits. It's just that when I read the paragraph that the "non-sequitar" was attached to, I related to it strongly, even if I apparently can't put the reason why it resonated into words.
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2010, 23:05 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #152 on: 17 Aug 2010, 05:22 »

I'll just throw in that my first console was an SNES, and I didn't get it until PS2s had already been released.  I went from there to ROMs before venturing to newer ground. 
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #153 on: 17 Aug 2010, 06:11 »

When I was purchasing Mario 2 for nintendo my gramma still had her Pong video game machine.  OG

ackblom12

« Reply #154 on: 17 Aug 2010, 07:09 »

I do have to say that I kinda have to agree with Alex on the brand of geek argument for Scott Pilgrim. I still find it weird that a large chunk of the folks on these forums are young enough not to have been harassed at great length for being one of the various forms of geek. Keep in mind this might be colored somewhat by where I grew up, but it wasn't until right after I graduated HS that being a geek became something resembling acceptable and not deserving of some serious harassment by the rest of the school population.

With everyone raving about Scott Pilgrim I looked into it and it just sounded like I would despise all of the starring characters. I plan to watch this movie and I fully expect to enjoy it, but the characters and their "problems" are exactly why I've got no interest whatsoever in ever reading the graphic novels and I can't really blame folks for not caring or understanding the appeal.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #155 on: 17 Aug 2010, 08:48 »

I'd have the same reaction if, say, Keanu Reeves was cast as the lead in a straight Shakespeare adaptation.

Not the lead, but he did play Don John in a 1993 adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing. Denzel Washington was also in it as Don Pedro, which was awesome

As to that article, it did clarify an odd nagging feeling that I had while watching the film, which was I so greatly enjoyed the film because I basically fitted into every single possible niche that it was mining, but if I was a little bit older, or a little bit younger, or a little bit cooler or a little bit geekier then it would've made me downright furious. I (like most of the characters in the film) am in the lower part of my mid-20s, which basically means that I am old enough to have played 16-bit games when they were current generation, to have played Street Fighter 2 in arcades but basically still be young enough to be angsty about girls stuff. This movie spoke to me pretty clearly, but I'm not insular enough to think that means it operated on a deeply human level like properly populist art does, and the comments I overhead coming out of the theatre reinforced that.
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2010, 08:58 by David_Dovey »
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #156 on: 17 Aug 2010, 20:47 »

A guy at hipshit website The Awl explains the difference between the book and the film for the benefit of nubs, particularly in regard to how female characters change.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #157 on: 17 Aug 2010, 23:03 »

I'd have the same reaction if, say, Keanu Reeves was cast as the lead in a straight Shakespeare adaptation.
Not the lead, but he did play Don John in a 1993 adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing.

I remember him being pretty boring
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #158 on: 18 Aug 2010, 11:46 »

He was pretty boring. But I find that character to be rather boring, so I think he was an ok choice! Also he pretty much falls into the background due to the sheer brilliance of Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson as well as many of the other actors. (Basically that is my favorite Shakespeare movie adaption.)

I do have to say that I kinda have to agree with Alex on the brand of geek argument for Scott Pilgrim. I still find it weird that a large chunk of the folks on these forums are young enough not to have been harassed at great length for being one of the various forms of geek. Keep in mind this might be colored somewhat by where I grew up, but it wasn't until right after I graduated HS that being a geek became something resembling acceptable and not deserving of some serious harassment by the rest of the school population.

With everyone raving about Scott Pilgrim I looked into it and it just sounded like I would despise all of the starring characters. I plan to watch this movie and I fully expect to enjoy it, but the characters and their "problems" are exactly why I've got no interest whatsoever in ever reading the graphic novels and I can't really blame folks for not caring or understanding the appeal.

I do remember people being bullied over things like that, but my high school was really weird on the whole geek thing because being a geek was a Thing to Do. Basically the geek population was too big to really get made fun of with people I went to school with (that isn't limited to just video games, but also includes band and the like), so it wasn't weird for me when the whole geek fad thing came about. I was almost kind of happy because not too many people were into classic video games, just the stuff that was popular at the time, but that seems to have changed quite a bit.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #159 on: 18 Aug 2010, 12:56 »

See, I've never encountered the shamed geeks social dynamic. While being a geek wasn't "cool" in my high school at least, the geeks also weren't really a social class unto themselves. They were members of other cliques and, in general, were in prominent popular positions in each which, since they were all geeks and all took classes together and liked each other, fostered a weird sort of community among all cliques.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #160 on: 18 Aug 2010, 14:07 »

I should point out that I'm 4 or 5 years older than a lot of you, and the people who excluded us were usually 2-3 years older than me. So the gap is even a li'l larger than it initially appears. I'd also point out that I do not believe that any exclusion was even really about video games or D&D or anything. Rather, I think it is about the grammar of bullying and exclusion. With or without video games there's always going to be a few jackasses out there who think they can get away with picking on the younger kids, after all, and predictably it pretty much died out by my senior year when there wasn't really any bigger fish in the pond anymore. It's just that playing a lot of video games was still uncommon enough that giving someone shit for playing them still had some exclusionary heft to it. But now with Madden and Call of Duty sales flying through the roof it's a lot easier to just go back to calling people fags.
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2010, 14:33 by Alex C »

kemon

• Furry furrier
  • seriously
« Reply #161 on: 19 Aug 2010, 00:15 »

saw this tonight.  that was a hell of a show.  there was so much going on, humor was perfect, the little references.   great movie if you ask me.
biting's excellent.  it's like kissing, only there's a winner.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #162 on: 20 Aug 2010, 00:39 »

In the last 24 hours I have seen the movie and read all 6 comics (both for the first time) and I think I probably enjoyed the movie more. Extra little things like the single lines added into the dialogue just made it - also the movie version of the battle with the twin was far better (though the moment they mentioned twins I was hoping for one to be ice and the other fire and defeating them by turning their attacks against one another) as was the treatment of how he used his extra life. The only real place where the books outdid the movie was in the final battle and the final explination, which I guess is due to the movie being made before the final book was published.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #163 on: 20 Aug 2010, 06:37 »

Just saw this with Han.  It has its faults, but we both really liked it.  So much that we were talking about it on the way home, then watched trailers when we got home so Han could show me certain things she'd seen in them, and we both said at different points that we could probably re-watch the entire thing over again from the start right now.  So yeah, pretty entertaining.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #164 on: 20 Aug 2010, 12:57 »

So, is this movie out everywhere in the world except for the UK?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #165 on: 20 Aug 2010, 13:15 »

Yes!

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #166 on: 20 Aug 2010, 13:32 »

God fucking damnit.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #167 on: 22 Aug 2010, 12:05 »

God fucking damnit.

That's what I thought. Coming January 2011? Are they serious? And this is in the Netherlands!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #168 on: 23 Aug 2010, 04:32 »

I'm guessing it's got something to do with bullshit distribution rights issues?

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #169 on: 23 Aug 2010, 05:44 »

God fucking damnit.

That's what I thought. Coming January 2011? Are they serious? And this is in the Netherlands!

Oh man I am sorry. At least it comes out this week here.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #170 on: 24 Aug 2010, 00:40 »

Saw this tonight. Never read the books. Thoroughly enjoyed it, Kieran Culkin is brilliant.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #171 on: 25 Aug 2010, 12:22 »

Yep, enjoyed it!

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #172 on: 27 Aug 2010, 12:40 »

Haw haw

Mein Tumblr

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #173 on: 27 Aug 2010, 14:01 »

It's pretty true
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #174 on: 27 Aug 2010, 14:03 »

no it's not
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #175 on: 27 Aug 2010, 14:04 »

maybe if you're only vaguely aware of twilight as a concept

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #176 on: 27 Aug 2010, 14:14 »

I'm trying to even figure out how to make that true and it's not possible.

I guess both Scott and Bella are kind of dumb? Except in Scott's case that's sort of the point that he's a bit of an asshole because he's so oblivious and lacking awareness of the consequences of his actions and the entire point is that he has to grow up while Bella is just kind of dumb and that's okay because she has so many boys falling over her teehee.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #177 on: 28 Aug 2010, 12:03 »

Whoops actually I wrote that from my iPhone thinking this was the Expendables thread.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #178 on: 28 Aug 2010, 12:56 »

lol

Yunior

• Furry furrier
« Reply #179 on: 28 Aug 2010, 15:04 »

I have to be totally honest and say I really didn't enjoy this movie, and the Twilight comparison sort-of-vaguely makes sense to me in that they both have this central character with really no redeeming qualities whatsoever, being fawned over by absurdly beautiful opposite-gender-types and my brain spends a lot of the movie time wondering if I am ever going to buy this relationship and no no I do not

:-(
[02:00] Dollface: clara you are awesome
[02:00] clara: oh thanks dollface
[02:00] Dollface: whos awesome you are clara

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #180 on: 29 Aug 2010, 00:53 »

wait why does scott pilgrim have no redeeming qualities, OR are you talking about ramona flowers??

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #181 on: 29 Aug 2010, 00:59 »

i mean i understand that as an absurdly beautiful opposite-gender-type you might have no interest in fawning over a twenty-something putz who plays in a low-level indie rock band and loves video games and has terrible luck with women, but at least let those of us cognizant of the fantasy entertain said fantasy for a couple of hours

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #182 on: 29 Aug 2010, 01:21 »

I think Scott and Ramona (at the very least) have better actors/actresses than Edward and Bella.

Mein Tumblr

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #183 on: 29 Aug 2010, 01:51 »

The thing that irritated me about Cera playing Scott is that throughout the whole movie I wasn't able to suspend disbelief and think that it was the character doing those things. It was always going through my head that it was Michael Cera doing his Michael Cera schtick  while computer came references happened around him.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #184 on: 29 Aug 2010, 02:03 »

Also going to throw this out there: I've never seen anything to convince me that Winstead is a better actress than Kristen Stewart. I'm willing to give Stewart a pass with Twilight-- what the fuck are you supposed to do with that role, anyway? Talk about thankless.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #185 on: 29 Aug 2010, 02:23 »

i mean i understand that as an absurdly beautiful opposite-gender-type you might have no interest in fawning over a twenty-something putz who plays in a low-level indie rock band and loves video games and has terrible luck with women, but at least let those of us cognizant of the fantasy entertain said fantasy for a couple of hours
Could we really say that about any other rom-com, though? I haven't seen the film but everything I've read and heard leads me to believe that there isn't a whole lot of "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" dust on the film. The blame might not fall on anyone in particular - some people just can't enjoy a film in which there are no characters they can invest in, and not caring about a character doesn't necessarily entail a mistake on the part of the artist. Sometimes that's intentional (see: Naked, Withnail and I, In the Company of Men, the collected works of Todd Solondz, etc.) and the scuttlebutt certainly seems to be that Scott Pilgrim as a character is supposed to be intermittently moronic and almost constantly self-centered. That puts it a notch above rom-coms in which central characters who are assholes are supposed to be wholly sympathetic, but you can still "get it" and not like it.

I don't know if any of that made sense.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Graphite

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • the final frontier?!
« Reply #186 on: 29 Aug 2010, 02:37 »

He doesn't actually seem to have terrible luck with women - he's had a fair number of past relationships for a guy his age, with quite lovely girls for the most part, and is generally the heartbreaker rather than the victim, apart from with Envy. He's difficult to invest in as a plausible romantic lead because he doesn't seem to have enough wonderful qualities to override his arrogance and his crappy treatment of Knives. But then, Ramona's main positive qualities could be generally characterised as being extremely cool, very attractive, and into the same things as Scott - she isn't actually a "better person" than Scott in any tangible way. She's been the heartbreaker to at least the same extent as Scott, they're on the same kinds of career paths (work to live, not live to work), and he has a creative pursuit she doesn't - the music. The only real difference between the two of them is in perceived attractiveness levels, and apparently Cera does it for a fair few people, physical-type-wise, since girls' magazines seem to find printing the occasional poster of him to be a profitable venture, so if you presume that Ramona's taste is slightly offbeat, they're pretty much on the same footing.
</person who hasn't yet read the comics>
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2010, 03:42 by Graphite »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #187 on: 29 Aug 2010, 10:51 »

See, Ramona totally is the "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" in the beginning of the comics. It's just as the comics develop, it becomes completely apparent how much like Scott she really is and how much she just has tons of flaws and baggage and refuses to deal with it. I don't think she has that same sort of development in the movie at all.

But yeah, Scott doesn't have terrible luck with women, he's just a terrible person. I mean, the two major female interests to him are a 17 year old girl who doesn't know better and is just star-struck by an older guy and Ramona, who is flaky and flits about from one guy to another without keeping any lasting emotional attachment to them while they remain obsessed with her.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #188 on: 30 Aug 2010, 19:33 »

yo IDIOTS yunior was supposed to chomp the bait and talk me up as a handsome talented dude that the ladies be all up ons, do you even read my posts

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #189 on: 30 Aug 2010, 19:43 »

Saw this tonight. Loved the little shout-outs to Toronto, and the small touches they had. Did anyone else notice Young Neil was wearing an A Softer World t-shirt? (I am too lazy to read this thread whole thread to find out if anyone had mentioned it)

Anyway I even kind of liked Michael Cera in the role, though I did not expect to. Edgar Wright was the perfect choice to direct, I think he did a fantastic job. I did not have the best experience seeing it because the friends I went with were clearly not enjoying the film as much as I was and I felt guilty for suggesting it. I will have to go again with someone who can nerd out with me.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #190 on: 30 Aug 2010, 20:04 »

sup

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #191 on: 30 Aug 2010, 20:05 »

I saw this a few days ago, thought it was really funny. I still want to read the books, since I know a lot had to get cut out to fit 6 volumes in 2 hours, but standing alone it did pretty well.

The accusations of twilight for boys miss one of the important differences. In Scott Pilgrim, Scott and Ramona are both flawed characters, their struggle involves trying to screw up less and fix their messed-up lives. Bella and Edward are presented as perfect, even when they quite obviously are terrible people.

Oddly enough, my biggest problems with the movie were music-related, Stephen Stills' acoustic sounded like an electric, and I'm pretty sure I noticed other things while i was there. And was I the only one that heard what sounded like an instrumental version of Black Flag's Nervous Breakdown during the random fight right before the Gideon fights? That wasn't a problem, though, just a surprise.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #192 on: 30 Aug 2010, 23:46 »

the inadvertent comparison to twilight falls flat in that there are no scenes where native american dudes drive by in slow motion while a fucking wolf howls in the background

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #193 on: 30 Aug 2010, 23:47 »

before we seriously pursue what is honestly just a goofy mistake comparison let's step back and try to remember everything that twilight does wrong and then let's take a seat and maybe press something cold and damp to the side of our head to try to calm the impending embolism

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #194 on: 02 Sep 2010, 20:45 »

haven't seen the movie yet but i just read the books and holy shit they were fantastic.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #195 on: 02 Sep 2010, 21:26 »

The Scott Pilgrim video game?  Fucking amazing.  Sure, I get my ass kicked a lot, but I have fun doing it.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #196 on: 03 Sep 2010, 14:10 »

I 100% agree, my roommate has just the demo now, and it is such a good arcade style side scroll brawler.  I really want him to buy the full game.  the multiplayer is so much fun.
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #197 on: 03 Sep 2010, 17:32 »

So apparently Scott Pilgrim made so little money they haven't even covered their marketing costs yet.

Boo.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #198 on: 03 Sep 2010, 17:38 »

I'm seeing it tomorrow. what's your excuse
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #199 on: 03 Sep 2010, 17:51 »

Yeah it's not even showing in my city anymore, which is really really dumb :[
it's time to stop posting
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up