THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 04:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Mann-Conomy Update  (Read 128894 times)

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Re: Mentlegen
« Reply #250 on: 30 Oct 2009, 23:15 »

There's also that guy hanging off the edge of the picture. I really doubt the dog is anything, or at least that there would ever be a bloody guard dog in game.

I hope these paper bag hats go away, they really don't fit with the rest of the theme. At the very least I hope my -crits -dmgspread 5cp servers pick up a -hats tag.

-ed also the blog is at times hilarious: http://www.teamfortress.com/
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #251 on: 09 Dec 2009, 15:51 »

Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #252 on: 09 Dec 2009, 15:52 »

Gravel Pits of America!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #253 on: 09 Dec 2009, 16:41 »

Okay, I have a serious question.

Can you play TF2 on PC with a 360 controller? If so, I might finally cave in and buy it. I mean, I've got it for 360 but that shit is utterly pathetic so I don't even bother anymore, and I hatehatehate keyboard+mouse controls for shooters; I just can't do it.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #254 on: 09 Dec 2009, 16:50 »

Eugh.
I'm not sure if you can, never bothered to try it but I think if you did the tracking'd be all wrong.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #255 on: 09 Dec 2009, 16:59 »

The store page on Steam lists Controller Enabled, so that's a Yes. Although there's a good chance you get outmaneuvered by the rest of the PC players that do have mouse/keyboard skills.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #256 on: 09 Dec 2009, 19:02 »

Yeah, it'll probably work but you'll probably get your ass handed to you. I've seen some videos of clan games on the 360 and the individual skill of the players is only a shade higher than that of pubby randoms. I can't believe you don't like keyboard and mouse controls though. It's like someone is trying to explain why the colour red is his favourite food to me in spanish.

Also I'm terrified of this update. Please please please don't ruin the soldier. He's perfect as it is. He's more than decent at everything and if theres an improvement in any area it'll probably be too much.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #257 on: 09 Dec 2009, 19:18 »

I think keyboard and mouse is mostly something you have to get used to, it is a lot harder at first. Mostly psychological, you just have to get to the point where you are no longer moving the mouse to move the cursor to be over the enemy. Instead you need to be pointing at the enemy. Same idea, but one is a lot more natural, compare pointing at some point on the wall with focusing on the steps of moving the muscles to get the arm to point at it. Takes longer and you aren't going to be as accurate.

If you do use the 360 controller, expect to get pretty thrashed.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #258 on: 09 Dec 2009, 20:03 »

Puzzling...

OMG I LOVE VAAAAAALVEEEEEEEEEEE

I love all the insane backstory they are putting to every little thing in this game now why do they rock so much?

And the best part is how much of it is fan-inspired. The Administrator is based on fanart, Valve has never released an official image of her until now.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #259 on: 09 Dec 2009, 20:17 »

« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2009, 20:34 by Zombiedude »

Mein Tumblr

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #260 on: 10 Dec 2009, 10:25 »

It's like someone is trying to explain why the colour red is his favourite food to me in spanish.

thank you for this analogy, it gave me quite the chuckle.

And, as I've said before, it's not that hate keyboard-mouse completely...just for shooters. The reason is pretty simple: I have shaky hands and trying to shoot shit with a mouse just doesn't really work. I can use controllers fine though since both of my hands are clasped tightly onto the same object and only my thumbs are moving around, for the most part.

So yeah, I might get my ass kicked but I would get my ass kicked twenty times worse if I was using a mouse and keyboard. This, I am certain of.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #261 on: 10 Dec 2009, 11:02 »

You could try lowering the mouse sensitivity?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #262 on: 10 Dec 2009, 11:22 »

but with a gamepad, I can crank the sensitivity all the way up and be just about as fast as a mouse and I'm, you know, actually capable of aiming with it.

seems to me that lowering the sensitivity on a mouse would be way worse of a gimp than using a controller with sensitivity turned up.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #263 on: 10 Dec 2009, 17:26 »

If you've got enough space to move your mouse around (and mouse with your whole arm rather than just your wrist) lower sensitivity really helps you aim precisely. I use a sensitivity which gives me 7" to turn 180 degrees, though I've only got about 12" of space to play with. My ability to put rockets and bullets where I want them got hugely greater after migrating to that from something like 4"/180. Other things like turning off mouse acceleration helps with your consistency a lot too. Mostly it's about not being afraid to throw your mouse around and finding a neat balance between twitching and precision (in the past I've used keybinds that toggle between something like 5"/180 and 12"/180 so that I can have the sensitivity I want when I want it; the settings are there to be changed). I used to shake quite a bit in some games but that goes away as you get confident. I don't know how you'd rocket jump though, I guess you could use scripts for that.

That's not to say you shouldn't use a gamepad if you're more comfortable with that though. I'm really not trying to make you change.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #264 on: 10 Dec 2009, 17:31 »

oh, yeah absolutely. If I get it I'll definitely experiment with the mouse and keyboard and see if I can't can't find an optimal setting for me, and maybe get a little more practiced with it.

but i have nightmares (actual nightmares) about playing STALKER and Crysis and fuck who knows how many other games ON EASY where I just couldn't even hang in a firefight against more than one or two dudes. Online against other people would only be worse and I don't think I'm commited enough to put in the time to even become "okay" at it.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #265 on: 10 Dec 2009, 18:47 »

Oh yeah and if you start playing within the next week know that there aren't normally that many explosions going off everywhere. Soldier/Demoman update means many, many more soldiers and demos all exploding things all around you.

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=3225

Know, though, that the glorious soldiering master race will win out.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #266 on: 10 Dec 2009, 18:53 »

Fuck

I like playing both.

Mein Tumblr

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #267 on: 10 Dec 2009, 19:55 »

DEMOMAN > *
also israel

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #268 on: 10 Dec 2009, 20:22 »

Goddamn so many kritzkreigs

Mein Tumblr

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #269 on: 10 Dec 2009, 20:34 »

Demo will probably win out. They're much better at the maps like dustbowl and badwater and gold rush which is 90% of what non-2fort servers run. Those maps are tedious enough without all the extra spam.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #270 on: 10 Dec 2009, 20:39 »

But the soldier is a more approachable class and ultimately I think more people play him.

Mein Tumblr

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #271 on: 10 Dec 2009, 20:44 »

Guess we'll see tomorrow who pulls ahead.

Mein Tumblr

Nodaisho

« Reply #272 on: 10 Dec 2009, 21:05 »

Calling it now, the bonus weapon will be a completely useless gag weapon.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #273 on: 10 Dec 2009, 21:06 »

Such as?

Mein Tumblr

Nodaisho

« Reply #274 on: 10 Dec 2009, 22:40 »

Dunno, but they are hyping up the weapon, not saying what it is, giving more weapons to one class than any other (which you know would get a lot of unnecessary complaining), and it would be hilarious getting everybody playing their preferred class out of the two to get, say, a water gun shaped like a rocket launcher.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #275 on: 10 Dec 2009, 23:46 »

On the other hand maybe they had three unlocks they really liked and couldn't decide which one to drop.

Demos are gonna win this so hard though :(. Every time it's been soldiers vs demos it's been demos camping soldiers back into their spawn. Area denial is much, much more useful than straight up combat ability. 5cp maps are playing much better than those awful goldbowl maps but finding a server running them is tough.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #276 on: 11 Dec 2009, 02:37 »

Solider is the only class I'm totally useless at, even worse that I'm at sniper, and that's quite bad. I just loathe the slow running speed, and I'm never able to figure out rocket jumping, and hitting stuff that's moving...

Demoman, on the other hand, is really, really fun. People have a tendency to never look out for sticky fields, ever.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #277 on: 11 Dec 2009, 03:30 »

The weapon will be the swordfish

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #278 on: 12 Dec 2009, 10:12 »

My entry for the propaganda contest.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #279 on: 12 Dec 2009, 10:13 »

On the other hand maybe they had three unlocks they really liked and couldn't decide which one to drop.

Demos are gonna win this so hard though :(. Every time it's been soldiers vs demos it's been demos camping soldiers back into their spawn. Area denial is much, much more useful than straight up combat ability. 5cp maps are playing much better than those awful goldbowl maps but finding a server running them is tough.

24/7 fast respawn meatgrinders are gonna win this war.
also israel

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #280 on: 12 Dec 2009, 20:54 »

Soldiers are leading by 200,000.

Mein Tumblr

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #281 on: 12 Dec 2009, 22:55 »

I'm making those bloody yank bastards pay for every last inch of that 4th weapon.
also israel

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar

Mein Tumblr

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #283 on: 13 Dec 2009, 09:09 »

Soldier's gonna win this one because the class is so easy to play. Just space bar and shoot at the ground over and over and over again.
also israel

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #284 on: 13 Dec 2009, 15:06 »

Crafting!

Hints as to the new weapons (pickaxe! sword! bugle! EXPLOSIVES(clearly)!)

Killing fucking Fred Astaire that son of a bitch!

Awesome.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #285 on: 13 Dec 2009, 15:21 »

Or it will further weed out bad snipers. Always an FPS must.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Nodaisho

« Reply #286 on: 13 Dec 2009, 16:05 »

Soldier's gonna win this one because the class is so easy to play. Just space bar and shoot at the ground over and over and over again.
As opposed to the class that just requires you to lay landmines and wait for someone to come around the corner? With as much as people get thrown around by rockets, you really have to aim if they aren't coming straight at you through a hallway. I actually was really sucking when I went back on day before yesterday, had to switch to scout because I just wasn't able to juggle anybody after my time not playing, and the mouse sensitivity just wasn't quite right.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #287 on: 13 Dec 2009, 17:49 »

Yeah both classes are pretty easy to be a little ok at in the right circumstances but I think they take the about the same amount of skill in general overall.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #288 on: 14 Dec 2009, 11:56 »

I've been playing solider the last days because, damn, I'm not able to make a positive contribution on the demoman side, so why not just play this one and make a negative one here?

Turns out solider is a lot of fun. Can't figure out the rocket jumping, though (I just go straight up, I want to go bloody forward at an angle more than 45 degrees), but the effectiveness at middle distance makes it quite fun. I think I'll be happy with both sides winning.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #289 on: 14 Dec 2009, 15:59 »

On rocket jumping:

There are tons of different ways to jump and most of them have uses. Running forward and shooting down is pretty crappy but it's good for getting on top of relatively low things if you've got time without taking fall damage. Adding in crouch jumping and jump crouching gets you other heights and amounts of control. To get more distance you want to put rockets behind you rather than under you. So you've got to strafe and twitch and airstrafe to get it all to work together.

As you get better you'll want to use walls rather than the floor. You take less selfdamage and you get more momentum. When you're running past a corner jump crouch or crouch jump flick behind you and shoot the wall. You can do it even better with walls running parallel to you and then airstrafing around and that's the ideal jump for distance.

Watch videos on youtube and then practice, practice, practice. Try to make jumps you're not sure you can make because if you don't you'll never get them. Yes, you'll fuck up and land in the middle of them more often than not to start with but once you start getting it right the soldier really starts to shine.

The soldiers major strength isn't his effectiveness in the middle distance but his ability to get into the middle distance.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #290 on: 14 Dec 2009, 22:05 »

http://www.teamfortress.com/demomanupdate/index.htm#item_1

Demo primary and melee weapons announced. Colour me wildly fucking sceptical.

Nodaisho

« Reply #291 on: 14 Dec 2009, 22:13 »

I don't think too many people are going to be lining up to get rid of their sticky bomb launcher.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #292 on: 14 Dec 2009, 22:14 »

I broke out laughing the second I saw it.

Mein Tumblr

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #293 on: 14 Dec 2009, 23:20 »

Hole

E

Shit

That is rad as fuck

Screw you guys

I'm going to be a screaming crazy cyclopean black Scotsman that charges across 2fort into people shooting guns while I do nothing but madly hack and slash with a sword. FUCK BOMBS.

Demoman comic has a little tease of what his third item is
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2009, 23:25 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #294 on: 14 Dec 2009, 23:33 »

But how will the demomanz destroy the sentrees.

Mein Tumblr

Nodaisho

« Reply #295 on: 14 Dec 2009, 23:44 »

With his grenade launcher?

Alternately: charging across the map at superspeed, taking 65% less damage from explosives, and hitting with a critical on the sentry from your sword. Like a real man.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #296 on: 14 Dec 2009, 23:53 »

Sentries don't take extra damage from crits and hopefully the knockback from the sentry will fling a demo around as much as it does a bonked scout. But yeah, pipes and the rest of the team will still work just as well.

Giving up stickies is a huge price to pay and I don't see this getting much play outside of desperate final cap defenses and dicking around in pubs, though taking 65% less damage from regular demos and sollies could make them a useful utility on some maps if the one demo rule gets relaxed to a one sticky launcher rule.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #297 on: 14 Dec 2009, 23:54 »

It might make him more offensive.

Mein Tumblr

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #298 on: 14 Dec 2009, 23:57 »

He's already one of the best offensive classes in the game.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #299 on: 15 Dec 2009, 00:12 »

Well uh, maybe even more so? Like stupid cocky offense?

Mein Tumblr
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up