THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Mass Effect 2  (Read 366668 times)

Josefbugman

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Are you Sure thats wise sir?
Re: Mass Effect 2
« Reply #100 on: 29 May 2009, 13:41 »

Hell's yeah!

Stop raining on the parade dammit! This looks so freakin' cool, I will admit I don't like the default shepard face, but that can be changed with ease. Yeah this is going to be the dark middle portion, will probably end on a bittersweet/ just plain bad ending. Then in the third one... well I will leave that up to bioware.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #101 on: 29 May 2009, 19:38 »

Shepard gettin' his Fatality on, throwing Cyrax through a window there.
There is no true love, just a finely tuned jealousy.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #102 on: 05 Jun 2009, 16:13 »

Hey guys, I was going to buy Mass Effect and I have a question: Does anyone have experience with the downloaded PC version?

Here's the thing, after someone recommended the game to me I looked it up on Steam, and found that it costs €45 ($63). I thought, okay, that's kinda expensive but it may well be worth it. But then I looked up the game on Direct2Drive UK, and guess what? Twenty pounds. That's half the price of what they're selling it for in the rest of Europe! Dammit, EA.

Now, I'd like to know if the DRM on downloaded EA games has any annoying strings attached, cause I'm trying to determine if the extra 30 dollars is worth paying to get it from Steam.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #103 on: 05 Jun 2009, 22:15 »

Quote from: wikipedia
On May 6, 2008, BioWare confirmed that it would be using the latest version of digital rights management software SecuROM with the Windows release of Mass Effect.[101] This decision attracted criticism as SecuROM would require online activation after installation in addition to a "check-in", where the product must re-validate itself every ten days or it will cease to operate until the next successful check-in.[102] On May 9, 2008, BioWare decided to remove the ten day periodic re-authentication, saying that it "listened very closely to its fans and we made this decision to ensure we are delivering the best possible experience to them." Players will still need to connect to the server before they launch Mass Effect for the first time or download new game content.[103][104] The game can be authenticated five times. After that players will have to contact EA Customer Support, who may then on a case-by-case basis "supply any additional authentications that are warranted."[105] EA has since released a De-Authorization Tool for certain SecuROM Protected games released after May 2008, which includes Mass Effect. [106]

The March 2009 Steam release of the game removes the SecuROM DRM and replaces it with Valve's online distribution and DRM system, which ties the game license to an online user account.[107]

Satisfied?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #104 on: 05 Jun 2009, 22:51 »

45 euros? That's fucking ridiculous, it's $20USD on Steam here.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #105 on: 06 Jun 2009, 01:54 »

I know, right? The only way to get past it is having someone from the US buy it and gift it.

Zombiedude: At first I wasn't sure if the SecuROM was also installed on the downloaded version, but I took another look at the EULA which says pretty much the same as Wikipedia (buy, verify every ten days, install a limited number of times), only without mention of the word SecuROM. Only it doesn't say if the ten day verification has been removed here too. I'll ask Direct2Drive about that...
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #106 on: 06 Jun 2009, 19:43 »

Bioware redesigned their Mass Effect website. They added Faqs about Mass Effect 2 and some other stuff. Go look  at it.

Mein Tumblr

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #107 on: 09 Jun 2009, 01:57 »

All the news coming out of E3 made me boot up my clear file and start playing through again. I don't think there's a single game I'm more excited for than this one, 2010 can't come soon enough.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #108 on: 10 Jun 2009, 13:10 »

This is exactly why, exactly FUCKING why, I'm downloading this game right now. Charging me, what, three times as much with today's rates? Go fuck a duck.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #109 on: 12 Jun 2009, 11:40 »

Just so I can win the 'is sheppard dead' argument I am going to buy Mass Effect 2 and just find the fastest way to die then break the disk and thus will have proven my point
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #110 on: 12 Jun 2009, 12:13 »

"This time, Sheppard, stay dead."

*snap*

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #111 on: 27 Jun 2009, 22:28 »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #112 on: 27 Jun 2009, 22:35 »

I am totally fine with that.

Edit: Also, Bioware doesn't expect you to survive ME2
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2009, 22:41 by Zombiedude »

Mein Tumblr

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #113 on: 01 Jul 2009, 09:02 »

Guys, you've all completely missed out on the key point here.

Will we be able to bump nasties with other characters in the game?
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #114 on: 01 Jul 2009, 09:31 »

I can't wait to slide tackle my weenus into some pastel-colored tentacle face for no reason again.

Honestly, the sex scene in the last one was so out of place that it was just hilarious.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #115 on: 01 Jul 2009, 09:36 »

I wanna park my Normandy in her space dock if you get my drift.

Mein Tumblr

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #116 on: 01 Jul 2009, 10:34 »

Your drift is the reason your exit port doesn't line up.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #117 on: 10 Jul 2009, 12:38 »

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #118 on: 10 Jul 2009, 13:55 »

Dude I am fuckin' psyched now.  Spoilers be damned, that video has some cool shit in it.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #119 on: 10 Jul 2009, 15:22 »

this cannot come soon enough
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #120 on: 26 Jul 2009, 17:33 »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #121 on: 27 Jul 2009, 15:20 »

Mild spoilers I guess

Whoever is concerned about spoiling the surprise, damn you. This is a surprise you'll want spoiled. It looks like they improved a lot of critic points from the first game in ME2.

How your saved data does it

See, in many of those open-ended, path-choosing games I find it satisfactory to play through once, and maybe twice. After that, finding out what unexplored options are left in the game aren't worth going through all the other stuff you've already seen.

Same with Mass Effect. I wanted to go through it a second time, but I couldn't find a way to play a different class on level 50. But now I feel like going through it a couple more times just to see what kind of effect it will have on the second game.
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2009, 16:25 by LTK »

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #122 on: 18 Aug 2009, 12:48 »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #123 on: 21 Aug 2009, 03:07 »

I'll want that guy on my squad. So much.

Seriously, this is just looking too sexy to be true.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #124 on: 21 Aug 2009, 11:21 »

I want the Green dude.

Mein Tumblr

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #125 on: 21 Aug 2009, 16:20 »

Hey, didn't anyone notice the human next to Shepard on the home page of Mass Effect? We haven't seen her before, have we? Gotta get her on my squad: she's hot! Hmm, that probably means she'll die somewhere, which is a shame. Oh, and this guy.

Oh look, when you buy the new Dragon Age: Origins game you get a suit of armor to use in the game. That's pretty sweet, even if you need a physical copy for it. I don't usually go for the bonuses that go beyond the hard disk (why would I want a Shepard statuette?), but the prices are very attractive right (hel-lo €1.15 per GBP!) now so I'm gonna go ahead and pre-order both of them!
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2009, 16:48 by LTK »

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #126 on: 21 Aug 2009, 16:35 »

That's Miranda. She's been mentioned in a few previews. She's one of the main characters in the iPhone spinoff game, and she's modeled after and voiced by the girl from Chuck (which I've never watched, but her name is really long so it's easier to identify her that way than looking it up).

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #127 on: 21 Aug 2009, 16:41 »

All the hulluaballo over the " if you die in this game you can't go on" bothers me. I mean we save our games for a reason.

Mein Tumblr

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #128 on: 21 Aug 2009, 16:54 »

That's Miranda. She's been mentioned in a few previews. She's one of the main characters in the iPhone spinoff game, and she's modeled after and voiced by the girl from Chuck (which I've never watched, but her name is really long so it's easier to identify her that way than looking it up).

That would be Sarah Lancaster? I see some resemblance. I believe she was in the Wikipedia character list of Mass Effect, but I didn't read it, that spoils too much for my liking.

Okay, now that I've looked around on the site I found some very interesting things. There is one potential squad member, 'a convicted felon and powerful biotic known to be psychologically unstable', residing on a maximum security starship prison. That could become interesting.

Oh, and in your 'suicide mission to save humanity' you'll be working with Cerberus. That's right, the same bastards that got your unit killed on Akuze, assasinated the lower admiral, and generally conducting unforgivably inhumane experiments everywhere across the galaxy. They're the ally. Well, I didn't see that coming.

Zombiedude: I think the intention is that the game is only over when you die because of the choices you made in the storyline. Surely they won't tell you to start over after a Krogan shoots you in the face with a shotgun. What I'm hoping for is that there aren't too many ending scenarios you die in, or at least not more than there are success (read: not die) scenarios. I mean, we're long past the text adventures in which you walk into a dark forest and a monster eats you, the end.
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2009, 17:00 by LTK »

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #129 on: 21 Aug 2009, 17:04 »

Nah, her name is Yvonne or Yvette or something. Like I said, I've never watched the show so the name meant nothing to me.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #130 on: 21 Aug 2009, 18:07 »

Zombiedude: I think the intention is that the game is only over when you die because of the choices you made in the storyline. Surely they won't tell you to start over after a Krogan shoots you in the face with a shotgun. What I'm hoping for is that there aren't too many ending scenarios you die in, or at least not more than there are success (read: not die) scenarios. I mean, we're long past the text adventures in which you walk into a dark forest and a monster eats you, the end.

I know that. I just think its pointless to try kill the player's character when you can reload a save and try again.

Mein Tumblr

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #131 on: 21 Aug 2009, 18:24 »

Maybe if you saved 6 hours ago. Y'know, when you hadn't decided to kill player B or nuke planet X. From the sounds of it, though, the moral/whatever decisions you make over the entire context of the game affect whether or not the ending to the game is "canon".

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #132 on: 21 Aug 2009, 19:27 »

I think the point I'm trying to make is that Shepard death wouldn't have quite the same impact if you reload a save and figure out where you went wrong trial and error style.

Mein Tumblr

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #133 on: 21 Aug 2009, 19:34 »

A discussion of game design w/r/t choice and consequence and death is better suited for the Molyneux thread.

This thread is for discussion of boring, one-dimensional evil Krogans. I didn't think Bioware characters could get more high concept than Black Whirlwind, but I was wrong!
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ackblom12

« Reply #134 on: 21 Aug 2009, 20:05 »

John, we remember, you don't like Mass Effect.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #135 on: 21 Aug 2009, 23:36 »

No I liked Mass Effect, and I liked its characters by and large, excepting the big fucking wank that was Sovereign (god, what a dumb twist), but this Grunt looks mad dull. I'm sure they'll end up throwing some "shade of gray" into his backstory to make him halfway sympathetic. I'm going to place my money on an Oedipal Complex. He's like Wrex, will probably serve as perhaps a more potent version of the already quite potent Wrex, but they're certainly playing the one note of his being an aggressive badass pretty hard and he looks far less interesting than Wrex was. So either Bioware marketing thinks its customers are essentially 13 year old boys when it comes to the appeal of meatheadedness for its own sake (not a bad assumption, really) and is shortselling an interesting character, or the character is uninteresting. It's probably the former, but given the quality of evil NPCs in ME1 I'm willing to entertain the latter notion.

At the very least Bioware ought to be called on its claims of "moral complexity". I don't know if they're keeping that up but round Mass Effect day they droned on about the disparity between paragon and renegade like renegade wasn't essentially an "evil" option. Bullshiiiiit
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2009, 23:49 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #136 on: 21 Aug 2009, 23:44 »

I agree to the extent that he just looks like a poor man's Wrex to make up for the players who didn't manage to save him in the first game. I do like the majority of Mass Effect's characters, though.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #137 on: 21 Aug 2009, 23:52 »

Yeah, I was wondering if maybe Grunt is only a CNPC if Wrex is out of the picture. Perhaps you can come to a juncture in ME2 at which you kill Wrex in and replace him with Grunt, sort of like how you eventually had to choose between Keldorn and Viconia in BG2.

Sort of makes you wonder what the canon storyline of ME1 was, or if there isn't one, how deep they're going to make the retconning process for brand new PCs.
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2009, 23:53 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #138 on: 22 Aug 2009, 00:00 »

Yeah, I'm wondering what the 'default' choices will be for somebody who doesn't import save data at all. Hopefully Wrex is still a party member if he's still alive; I have to imagine that Bioware knows that he's by far the most popular NPC, considering how keyed into player feedback they seem to be from all the previews and developer diaries.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #139 on: 22 Aug 2009, 13:04 »

There was a way to kill Wrex? Where?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #140 on: 22 Aug 2009, 13:11 »

*Spoiler oiler*

At the mission where you have to destroy the Krogan breeding facility. If you can't convince Wrex that destroying the facility is better off for the Krogan he'll stick with you. If you can't, you can kill him.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #141 on: 22 Aug 2009, 13:32 »

*Spoiler oiler*

At the mission where you have to destroy the Krogan breeding facility. If you can't convince Wrex that destroying the facility is better off for the Krogan he'll stick with you. If you can't, you or Racist Bitch kill him.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #142 on: 22 Aug 2009, 13:42 »

You could either find his family armor or charm/intimidate so he wouldn't die.

Mein Tumblr

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #143 on: 22 Aug 2009, 13:43 »

Didn't know he had family armor...I'll have to look for that on my next playthrough.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #144 on: 22 Aug 2009, 13:45 »

He'll tell you roughly where it is.

Mein Tumblr

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #145 on: 22 Aug 2009, 13:58 »

I agree to the extent that he just looks like a poor man's Wrex to make up for the players who didn't manage to save him in the first game. I do like the majority of Mass Effect's characters, though.

After reading this thread, I've realized how much more there was to Mass Effect than I noticed on my first play through. Also, the Wrex dying thing is clearly a case where they rewarded players that had played more side missions; since talking him into following you required one of the speech skills, and finding the family armour required doing an unrelated side-mission (spoiler you stumbled over it when doing the rescue mission that really was a trap, right? spoilerend)

I hope they do the same thing for MF2, awarding players who spend effort on helping (or looting) bigger parts of the galaxy benefits for that, instead of giving them some kind of dicking-around-for-more-than-fifty-hours-penalty. because if there's more exploring to do, I'll explore the shit out of that galaxy before doing the main mission.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #146 on: 22 Aug 2009, 14:17 »

See, I thought I did all the side missions before heading to Virmire...he never mentioned family armor to me.  I did, however, charm him out of it.  But yeah, I just bought the game again (brother sold it for drug money, so I did the games on demand thing), and I've already managed to do Noveria completely different from the way I did it before.  I somehow missed an entire set of side missions.

kemon

• Furry furrier
  • seriously
« Reply #147 on: 22 Aug 2009, 14:28 »

most of the main story missions have have major parts that can be completed multiple ways.  since the game is meant to be played through multiple times, this is important.  did you know there are like 4 ways to get a garage pass to leave hanshan station on noveria?

anyways, i've been playing the first one a lot lately in anticipation of me2.  seeing it all again just reminds me how epicly good this game is.  i think a lot of people are going to go back through me1 after me2 comes out just to mess around with all the variables that get carried forward.   see how things are different in 2 with each choice made in 1.
biting's excellent.  it's like kissing, only there's a winner.

Coward

• FIGHT YOU
  • Carries on, a wayward son.
« Reply #148 on: 22 Aug 2009, 14:35 »

How the variables effect the sequel is something that mildly concerns me. By which I mean the first time I played through with my current character I completed pretty much every sidequest that could be done, bar the the exploration/mining shite. Later play throughs - where I was pushing to level 60 - I couldn't be bothered to do them all and just stuck to the main quests. I can see this coming back to bite me when I load the character into the new game.
Quote from: Buckaroo Banzai
Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, 'cos, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #149 on: 22 Aug 2009, 17:42 »

Just replay the game one more time and do all the sidemissions. It's hardly a chore.

I actually remember that Wrex thing now that you mention it. I think I completed almost all of the sidemissions, and then I ground all the way up to 60, full spec-ops X weapons. Yeah, I'm definitely gonna go play through it again.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27   Go Up