THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 19:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Mass Effect 2  (Read 366796 times)

BrilliantEraser

• The German Chancellory building
  • We're kings among runaways
    • Brilliant Eraser Productions
Re: Mass Effect 2
« Reply #500 on: 18 Dec 2009, 15:59 »

I am interested. What did you guys do, as far as saving the council versus saving a large number of nameless humans?
Quote from: Khar
*bloop bloop bloop*

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #501 on: 18 Dec 2009, 16:14 »

I saved the council.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #502 on: 18 Dec 2009, 16:40 »

I've started up Mass Effect again, and I'm really trying to get the most out of it now. Putting lots of points in charm - if only because being an asshole is no fun - and getting everyone to give in, looting every possible container, etcetera. Until now it's basically a pain in the ass. I only have room for three points in charm, and with these it's not possible to get all of the dialogue options for that guy Powell. "You should make amends." Arrrgh.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #503 on: 18 Dec 2009, 17:54 »

In my paragon Soldier playthrough, which is the first one I'm going to import, I saved the council, put Anderson as the new human councilor (because Udina's a fucking prick), romanced Ashley, and let Kaidan die on Virmire. I can't remember my background exactly but I think I was a colonist? I may change my romance decision for my second playthrough of that character, and that may affect who I let die on Virmire too, I'm not sure yet.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #504 on: 20 Dec 2009, 14:35 »

Wait, so Legion is trying to hunt you down.  And We get to visit the Quarian Flotilla!?  The Tali trailer fills me with excitement! And we see male Quarians! hope to see the other gender of all the other races too (except Asarii) I mean come on I doubt the Salarians and Turians keep all their women folk in the home.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #505 on: 20 Dec 2009, 14:38 »

Krogan do.

Mein Tumblr

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #506 on: 20 Dec 2009, 15:28 »

Salarians do too. You can read about them in the codex. Only 10% of Salarians are female, and they have to stay at home.

Legion looks like the biggest badass ever. Even though he has a giant gaping hole in his chest. No, especially since he has a giant gaping hole in his chest.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #507 on: 20 Dec 2009, 20:49 »

Moar
All armor for Shepard is customizable. If you want every piece of armor Shep wears in the game to look like the black N7 armor, or the Red Dragon armor, or the Cerberus basic armor, you can do this. I believe you can buy different designs as the game progresses (I'm betting there's an armor pack DLC in the future). You can't change armor design on the fly, but have to go back to your ship to customize it.

There is no NG+ in ME2. Rather, after the ending, you can still roam the galaxy finishing side quests and playing the various DLC adventures.

'Default' Shep seems completely renegade. The council dies, the Rachni queen dies, Wrex dies, and the squadmate of the opposite sex of the PC dies (for dudeShep it's Ashley, for femShep it's Kaiden), Conrad ended up killing himself, you kill the asari that was inside the big plant monster and all the colonists on Feros, etc.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #508 on: 20 Dec 2009, 22:19 »

that worries me so much tbh
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #509 on: 20 Dec 2009, 22:19 »

Bioware's new "dark sci-fi" epic, Mass Effect 2,

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #510 on: 21 Dec 2009, 01:37 »

Bioware's new "dark sci-fi" epic, Mass Effect 2,

You get covered in the same blood-spatter after combat, and must pick between two Quarian Flotilla captains, Shehlen or Quarrowmont.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #511 on: 21 Dec 2009, 10:23 »

I saved the council, thinking "if this won't get the humans on the council, nothing will". I was right. That was kind of awesome.

i also want to go visit the home planet of those jellyfish-people. Just to see what design they've come up with for their dwellings and stuff. I'm guessing that it'll be awesome.
Moar

'Default' Shep seems completely renegade. The council dies, the Rachni queen dies, Wrex dies, and the squadmate of the opposite sex of the PC dies (for dudeShep it's Ashley, for femShep it's Kaiden), Conrad ended up killing himself, you kill the asari that was inside the big plant monster and all the colonists on Feros, etc.

That was completely different from what I did on all points. Although I'm not sure what I did with that Conrad fellow. I talked rough to characters I didn't like (like that guard chick on that winter planet that wanted to kill you?), but was nice to the rest, the way I usually do in RPGs. I'm not quite sure why, but I rarely bother to bring myself to doing anything else.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #512 on: 21 Dec 2009, 12:11 »

I realized not long ago that I hardly remember any of the story of the game. I remember searching for the crab men on the giant space station. I remember riding in my dune buggy for hours on end. I vaguely remember shooting a dude. Other than that, I have nothing. I have also since traded the game in. I do want to play the sequel, so I hope there is a quick rundown on what I did with my character at the beginning.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #513 on: 21 Dec 2009, 13:57 »

If ME2 is going to have quests that depend on choices you made in the first game, that might explain why they made the default Shep kill everyone. That way no one is able to come up to you and say "hey, remember how you saved me three years ago?" cause they're all dead. If that's the case, they're going to make ME2 really hard on you if you default without all those allies. When they're all dead there will be no one left to bust you out when the going gets rough. I think I'm going to save the Council at the end anyway, because I see the Ascension coming in handy in future space skirmishes. I'd hate to have Joker go "Boy, the Ascension would sure have come in handy in this battle, too bad you decided to let the Geth destroy it and all" while the Normandy is being torn apart by a Collectors' ship.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #514 on: 21 Dec 2009, 14:00 »

I think talking about the default settings is interesting but sort of silly because ultimately, BioWare has gone to some pretty impressive lengths to make sure that the "canon" story for Shepard is whatever you make it to be.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #515 on: 21 Dec 2009, 15:06 »

Mein Tumblr

ackblom12

« Reply #516 on: 21 Dec 2009, 15:26 »

Shit, why they gotta make all of the classes look awesome as hell to me.

Reed

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #517 on: 21 Dec 2009, 15:47 »

So nobody has a reason to complain about limited replayability?
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

ackblom12

« Reply #518 on: 21 Dec 2009, 15:49 »

I would say that, but I regularly read Kotaku comments. I think it's hurt my capability of not hating the gaming community.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #519 on: 21 Dec 2009, 21:17 »

« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2009, 21:35 by Zombiedude »

Mein Tumblr

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #520 on: 21 Dec 2009, 22:48 »

People may not want to look at the achievement list if they're super sensitive about spoilers, as none of them are flagged as secret. Specifically, it more or less confirms that the last two unrevealed party members are Garrus and Legion, and gives some indication of how the game begins.

Thankfully, it looks like this game is much better about the achievements than the first. You pretty much have to play through the game at least four times to get all of the achievements in ME1.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2009, 22:50 by Storm Rider »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #521 on: 21 Dec 2009, 23:45 »

They confirmed Legion wasn't one though.

Mein Tumblr

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #522 on: 22 Dec 2009, 00:14 »

First of all: dude, did you miss the point of the tiny text? Secondly, either they're lying, or the achievement list is. Or there's a tenth squad mate who doesn't have an achievement associated with recruiting them and 'gaining their loyalty', but that seems unlikely.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #523 on: 22 Dec 2009, 00:18 »

Did I cross the line by exposing your tiny text? God I am such a jerk.

Mein Tumblr

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #524 on: 22 Dec 2009, 00:44 »

I don't think that tiny text was really needed brah.

Mein Tumblr

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #525 on: 22 Dec 2009, 12:03 »

Mein Tumblr

ackblom12

« Reply #526 on: 22 Dec 2009, 12:24 »

So very very good.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #527 on: 22 Dec 2009, 16:41 »

.asx format? What's that? I got the Youtube version here.

I didn't know Thane was a biotic. As for everything else, I wholeheartledly agree with the above. Only one thing... My default Shepard had blue eyes. What's up with that?
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2009, 16:43 by LTK »

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #528 on: 22 Dec 2009, 18:48 »

The part where Grunt blows the thresher maw's head off after it swallows him is my favorite. If he does anything nearly that badass in the game itself I'll have to reconsider my initial assessment of him as a poor man's Wrex.

Between this, the Old Republic reveal trailer, and the Sacred Ashes trailer for Dragon Age, whoever Bioware gets to do their CG is earning their fucking keep.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #529 on: 22 Dec 2009, 19:47 »

Man, my Gamestop is out of the Collector's edition.  I didn't really care for the other stuff, but I really wanted the armor and the gun

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #530 on: 22 Dec 2009, 20:43 »

i got freaked out when i watched the cg trailer for dragon age again and realized who the characters were supposed to be

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #531 on: 23 Dec 2009, 16:08 »

I hope the second part will allow you to screw people over like the way you could on Noveria in the first part. Cause I just did that, and it was the funnest thing.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #532 on: 23 Dec 2009, 16:11 »

So the 'new' cinematic trailer was attached to Avatar when I saw it earlier. It was easily the best thing.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #533 on: 23 Dec 2009, 16:14 »

Oh shit, I would pay to see that on the big screen.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #534 on: 23 Dec 2009, 21:41 »

tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #535 on: 24 Dec 2009, 14:09 »

I am sure this will create some new questions. Please ask them in this thread and, post Xmas break, I will try to get them answered for you.

Save Game Import

* Upon starting a new game from the main menu, players can import a character save from Mass Effect 1

* The Player chooses which character to bring in. Bringing in more than one character is possible, this will create a second or additional profile(s), just like in Mass Effect 1.

* For Xbox 360 players need to be signed into your profile that you used to play through Mass Effect 1.

* On PC players will select the .MassEffectSave files to import.

* The profile and save data must be present on the hard drive and not an MU.

* There is a limit of 11 end-of-game saves that can be imported into ME2. This means that if the player was to complete ME1 12 times, regardless of the number of unique playthroughs used, the 12th save will not be available for import, but saves 1 through 11 will be available.

At this point we have revealed that the save game import system will carryover all your decisions and plot decisions from ME1 into ME2. Did you save the Council? Who survived Virmire? And how did you handle your most ardent fan? We don’t want to list everything out and spoil the surprises we have in store for you, but rest assured you will be pleased when you see just how much carries over into Mass Effect 2.

Up until now we have only discussed the plot impacts of this feature, however, there are also certain gameplay perks as well. If you finished ME1 as a high level character you will receive greater bonuses than those who finished at lower levels. Ex, if you finished ME1 as a level 35 character, you will receive a bonus, but if you finished ME1 as a level 50 character, your bonus will be larger. That being said these bonuses will not put new playthrough characters at a severe disadvantage. For example, some of these bonuses include a monetary boost at the start of the game, or additional research resources for use at the Normandy’s Tech Lab. Another perk is if you finished the game as a Paragon or Renegade, part of your alignment will carry over making it easier to access certain dialogue options.

Finally, some technical information regarding the feature as well. If players start a New Game + after beating the game they will be able to re-use the same character import file they did for their first playthrough. Yes New Game + is making a return to Mass Effect 2! Additionally as mentioned above, make sure you are playing on your Xbox 360 profile that you completed ME1 on and that the profile and save data is present on the Hard Drive and not a MU. If you want to do a quick check and make sure you are good to go, load up Mass Effect 1 and see if the New Game + option appears. That will let you know your save game is ready for Mass Effect 2.

We are definitely excited to share this brand new feature with everyone, and remember what you do in Mass Effect 2, will have consequences in Mass Effect 3!

Mein Tumblr

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #536 on: 24 Dec 2009, 14:14 »

Awesome.

That answered everything I needed to know.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #537 on: 24 Dec 2009, 17:17 »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #538 on: 24 Dec 2009, 18:34 »

Oh man I almost forgot about the mad seer on Eden Prime.

Even in the future Bioware's writers are lazy.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #539 on: 24 Dec 2009, 20:40 »

You keep having opinions and every time you do it's obvious you should stop.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #540 on: 24 Dec 2009, 21:10 »

Nah, it's shitty writing. I mean how can you let your players know that the threat of Sovereign is real unless you've got a schizophrenic with the magic powermass effect of sight beyond sight foretelling the end of all things. It's almost as if there's some sort of ancient slumbering evil that's awakening after an extended hiatus to destroy the world. No wait, that's not Mass Effect that's Dragon Age. And Neverwinter Nights. Also it's Mass Effect. You just haven't seen the visions.

The space visions.

Honestly I don't really mind Bioware having a formula. I just think it's stupid and ridiculous that they'd put a mad prophet in a sci-fi future setting half an hour after they first show you footage of Sovereign, which is ominous enough by itself.
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2009, 21:23 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ackblom12

« Reply #541 on: 24 Dec 2009, 21:23 »

This is part of why I can never tell if you actually like the games you play that aren't 10+ years old.

Not really a jab at ya mind you, I just genuinely can't tell a large chunk of the time.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #542 on: 24 Dec 2009, 21:35 »

Jesus Christ, gaming forums. I've played Mass Effect like 8 times. It doesn't mean that Bioware tries hard all the time. Like I can only like a game if it's flawless. There are plenty of other people to do the overblown cocksucking. I'm not on the Bioboards. Let them do it.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

BrilliantEraser

• The German Chancellory building
  • We're kings among runaways
    • Brilliant Eraser Productions
« Reply #543 on: 24 Dec 2009, 21:57 »

You keep having opinions and every time you do it's obvious you should stop.
Quote from: Khar
*bloop bloop bloop*

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #544 on: 24 Dec 2009, 22:07 »

If I make "Team Bioware" shirts will you all wear them?
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #545 on: 24 Dec 2009, 22:23 »

I CONCUR, STOP RAINING ON OUR OVERLY HAPPY FUCKING PARADE

Mein Tumblr

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #546 on: 24 Dec 2009, 22:24 »

Maybe you should just stop overcompensating for this perceived 'cocksucking'. Does Mass Effect have flaws? Sure, plenty of them, but Christ you could stop being so fucking negative all the time.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #547 on: 24 Dec 2009, 22:27 »

titties!

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #548 on: 24 Dec 2009, 22:28 »

TITTIES

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #549 on: 24 Dec 2009, 22:53 »

Maybe you should just stop overcompensating for this perceived 'cocksucking'. Does Mass Effect have flaws? Sure, plenty of them, but Christ you could stop being so fucking negative all the time.
I was recently in this Psych of Gender class which (understandably) was mostly about the history of psychology up to the present and how psychiatry has been heavily stacked against females since Freud's day, and how most gender-related psychological issues are disproportionately felt by women. At the end of the class we got this jarhead dude speaking up about how the class would be better if there was a more well-represented male point of view in the class. What the dude had failed to realize was that all he had to do was go to any other psychology class, or any other class on campus outside of those with the word "gender" in the title, and they would be immersed in the male point of view. Similarly, if you don't feel comfortable with my point of view, which is that popular gaming is on the whole badly written, ridiculous, and praised as "art" all too readily, all the while still being a fun and worthwhile pastime, you can go anywhere else on the internet, where you'll find widespread consensus on how everything is awesome forever that won't make you uncomfortable.

I think Bioware makes good games, I really do, even if I don't like the sameness of their narrative structures post-KOTOR. I think Mass Effect 2 looks really good. I also think that every line of tough-guy Rambo bullshit that Shepard says is awful, glorious camp for people like me who wore out their Total Recall VHS tapes as kids. When I hear Jed Bartlett say "he's making an impressive team, he's scouring the galaxy for the best" all I can think about are those commercials for the army / air force / marines that look and sound just like video game trailers so much that actual video game trailers sound dumber for it. I also think the antagonists in both ME1 and Dragon Age were uninteresting and largely anonymous, respectively. Bioware makes big, fun, well polished games that really aren't mind-blowing as they're made out to be. Except BG2, which actually did do things that no RPG has done since.
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2009, 22:58 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27   Go Up