THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Mass Effect 2  (Read 366774 times)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: Mass Effect 2
« Reply #800 on: 23 Jan 2010, 02:28 »

Skill Sets?

Well I've only played extensively with Miranda, Jacob and Garrus at this point. Miranda has Overload (I know) and Warp (I think). Jacob has Pull and Incendiary Rounds. Garrus has Concussive Shot and... something else. I think the Salarian has the freeze ability. All party members have a third skill that is unlocked when a higher degree of loyalty is attained. I'm two missions into the story and I have no idea how loyalty is tracked or if it has been tracked at all - there's no influence counter, which can be good or bad, depending on how it works out.

Combat is pretty good, as I said, and the rock / paper / scissors game with weapons / powers and enemy protection types keeps things somewhat interesting. Miranda is particularly valuable as her powers are useful against any potential armor type. Recharge time is greatly reduced - for a level 2 or 3 push it's about 2 seconds, but that's balanced out by the relatively small amount of damage it does on its own. I dropped my biotic soldier type for a adept/engineer hybrid (I can never remember class names) and it's working out a lot better. I lose out on the shotgun (which is actually hard to use given the considerably increased level size from ME1) but gain a significant degree of toughness.

One of the things that's strange about ME2 is the complete removal of an inventory system ala Jade Empire, though it works better here. What special ammo you can use is determined by your class (and as far as I know everybody outside of pure biotic gets at least one) and two missions in I've only had one weapon upgrade whose usefulness is debatable (power and accuracy +, clip size and ammo pool - - - ) I'm also annoyed by Bio's insistence on my character being in a romance - at least two characters have acted as though Shepard has been acting interested when I've been trying to avoid that. But that's Bioware for you.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2010, 02:33 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #801 on: 23 Jan 2010, 03:15 »

I got a hardware problem too, maybe you guys can come up with a solution:

I played my best play through on someone else's hard drive. I was WONDERING if I could start a game of Mass Effect two on  THAT hard drive, put the save game on a memory card then continue to play on my own hard drive.

Anyone think that might work?

Edit: question pertains to the xbox 360.

I would've thought it'd be fine. So long as you use your own gamertag on both Xboxes.

I have a friend who changed hard drives and copied pretty much all his saves from one to the other, as far as I remember the only thing he couldn't copy was Rock Band DLC.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2010, 09:54 by maxusy3k »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #802 on: 23 Jan 2010, 08:03 »

Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #803 on: 23 Jan 2010, 09:12 »

Skill Sets?

Well I've only played extensively with Miranda, Jacob and Garrus at this point. Miranda has Overload (I know) and Warp (I think). Jacob has Pull and Incendiary Rounds. Garrus has Concussive Shot and... something else. I think the Salarian has the freeze ability. All party members have a third skill that is unlocked when a higher degree of loyalty is attained. I'm two missions into the story and I have no idea how loyalty is tracked or if it has been tracked at all - there's no influence counter, which can be good or bad, depending on how it works out.

Combat is pretty good, as I said, and the rock / paper / scissors game with weapons / powers and enemy protection types keeps things somewhat interesting. Miranda is particularly valuable as her powers are useful against any potential armor type. Recharge time is greatly reduced - for a level 2 or 3 push it's about 2 seconds, but that's balanced out by the relatively small amount of damage it does on its own. I dropped my biotic soldier type for a adept/engineer hybrid (I can never remember class names) and it's working out a lot better. I lose out on the shotgun (which is actually hard to use given the considerably increased level size from ME1) but gain a significant degree of toughness.

One of the things that's strange about ME2 is the complete removal of an inventory system ala Jade Empire, though it works better here. What special ammo you can use is determined by your class (and as far as I know everybody outside of pure biotic gets at least one) and two missions in I've only had one weapon upgrade whose usefulness is debatable (power and accuracy +, clip size and ammo pool - - - ) I'm also annoyed by Bio's insistence on my character being in a romance - at least two characters have acted as though Shepard has been acting interested when I've been trying to avoid that. But that's Bioware for you.

I thought I read in an interview that squad mates had 4 skills with a 5th unlockable. Maybe they need to level up more, or what I saw was hearsay through somebody else, I can't remember anymore. Thanks anyway, though.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #804 on: 23 Jan 2010, 09:42 »

Does it still have a film grain-y look? Replaying the first game has given me a real appreciation for that negligible aesthetic detail.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #805 on: 23 Jan 2010, 12:08 »

Film grain is optional, as it was in ME1.

Maybe you're right, Brizzle Brozzle. I know one of their skills is their class skill (+ to health, cooldown, etc.) I'll check again today.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #806 on: 23 Jan 2010, 14:26 »

Fanserviccccce
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #807 on: 23 Jan 2010, 14:52 »

Pretty expensive for fan service, too.

Edit: Apparently it makes the sound effect from BG2 when you activate it in your quarters.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2010, 15:40 by Storm Rider »

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #808 on: 23 Jan 2010, 23:13 »

Pretty expensive for fan service, too.

Edit: Apparently it makes the sound effect from BG2 when you activate it in your hind quarters.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #809 on: 23 Jan 2010, 23:40 »

Hey. Hey.

Hey.

I did not actually say that.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #810 on: 24 Jan 2010, 01:07 »

That is pretty great.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #811 on: 24 Jan 2010, 03:33 »

Hey. Hey.

Hey.

I did not actually say that.

Dude it's right there in a quote.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #812 on: 24 Jan 2010, 03:59 »

Yeah Bryan, quotes don't lie.

Jeeze.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #813 on: 24 Jan 2010, 11:30 »

it would be funnier if you had to pay for that in real money
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #814 on: 24 Jan 2010, 12:07 »

I bet if they sold a miniature giant space hamster for your 360 Avatar that would make a shitload of money.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #815 on: 24 Jan 2010, 12:26 »

Mein Tumblr

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #816 on: 24 Jan 2010, 12:39 »

That's not all.

Yeah, at 9 or so hours in Mordin's the best character in the game so far.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #817 on: 24 Jan 2010, 14:49 »

I'm also annoyed by Bio's insistence on my character being in a romance - at least two characters have acted as though Shepard has been acting interested when I've been trying to avoid that. But that's Bioware for you.

I guess that I don't necessarily mind the idea that an NPC might show some initiative on that end, really, but the way it's been handled in the past has always seemed a bit goofy to me. For example, I played through the prologue with both a male and female Shepard right away in the first game. I played the female Shep first, so I noted that Kaiden's body language seemed sort of conspicuous when you said everything wasn't his fault, but I didn't really think much of it. But when I got to the male Shepard? First off, just seeing her there instead of Kaiden was a real "Oh, I see where this is going" moment. Second, her body language was even more exaggerated, to the point where I think that if Servo was there he would have said something like "I think she just started spontaneously ovulating."
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #818 on: 25 Jan 2010, 01:43 »

People with Xboxes who like free shit, pay attention!

Thanks to good old fashioned sloppy database management by Microsoft, a ton of the day 1 ME2 DLC is on the Xbox Marketplace right now. Why is this important, you ask? Well... it includes shit that consumers shouldn't be able to download directly from the marketplace, like the preorder bonuses and the Dr. Pepper helmets. And it's all free! Just log in with your Live account through Xbox.com and add the items to your download queue, and your Xbox will automatically start downloading them the next time you turn it on. I not only got the Inferno armor, which I wouldn't be able to get normally, but the special Collector's Edition loot as well. Pretty minor stuff, all told, but you can't beat free so here it is:

Collector's Edition stuff

Terminus Armor and Blackstorm Weapon (Gamestop preorder stuff)

Inferno Armor (preorder bonus for everywhere except Gamestop)

Sentry Interface, Umbra Visor, Recon Hood (Dr. Pepper items)

Incsior Sniper Rifle (This is, as far as I know, supposed to be exclusive to the Digital Deluxe version on PC, so all Xbox users should download this one)

Blood Dragon Armor (Bonus for buying Dragon Age: Origins)

You'd better move quick though, because I doubt this stuff will stay up for long. I got everything except the Gamestop preorder items and the Dragon Age armor, because I'm already getting those normally.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #819 on: 25 Jan 2010, 01:53 »

This makes up for you saying "do me a solid" a few posts ago.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #820 on: 25 Jan 2010, 02:08 »

I did your mother a solid last night.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #821 on: 25 Jan 2010, 02:19 »

Seriously though, this is pretty cool.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #822 on: 25 Jan 2010, 04:08 »

It is cool he did your mum a solid?

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #823 on: 25 Jan 2010, 04:22 »

She deserves a good turn now and again, yeah.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #824 on: 25 Jan 2010, 06:44 »

Boo. They fixed it. It just tells me the items aren't available from the web.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #825 on: 25 Jan 2010, 08:22 »

Dang, I'm not finding it on the Xbox Live Marketplace either.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #826 on: 25 Jan 2010, 08:24 »

Apparently you can cuddle with all of your love interests. Hey thar Tali

Maybe there is a sex scene with tali, talking with people who torrented it and they aren't being clear.

Fox is gonna throw a shitfit just because if Kelly Chamber's cuddle moment
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2010, 08:34 by Zombiedude »

Mein Tumblr

ackblom12

« Reply #827 on: 25 Jan 2010, 08:55 »

My copy is finally shipping and should be here tomorrow. It's ridiculous how much I'm jonesin for this game right now.

I need hot alien dickings damnit.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #828 on: 25 Jan 2010, 09:11 »

« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2010, 09:13 by Zombiedude »

Mein Tumblr

kemon

• Furry furrier
  • seriously
« Reply #829 on: 25 Jan 2010, 13:00 »

do not skip listening to the advertisements in game.  they're freaking hilarious.
biting's excellent.  it's like kissing, only there's a winner.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #830 on: 25 Jan 2010, 15:33 »

Apparently you can cuddle with all of your love interests. Hey thar Tali
I'll admit, I mentally went "awww" when I saw that.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #831 on: 25 Jan 2010, 16:04 »

Bryan, Is your gear still on your Xbox? I haven't checked, but I was debating with a friend whether it'd be there when I got home.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #832 on: 25 Jan 2010, 16:28 »

Once you download it onto your hard drive, as far as I know there is literally no way for them to remove it. If you had it queued up through the xbox.com Marketplace and didn't turn on your Xbox to download it, they may have been able to remove it from the queue when they took everything down, I don't know how that works.

Edit: I just turned on my Xbox to verify, and yes, I still have all 6 items I downloaded on my hard drive. There were 9 in total, but I didn't download the Gamestop preorder stuff and the Dragon Age armor (because I'm already getting them), or the special ninth item that I didn't even link to because it's a spoiler and because it comes with the Cerberus Network so everyone who buys a new copy of the game should get it anyway.
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2010, 16:32 by Storm Rider »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #833 on: 25 Jan 2010, 18:21 »

It's a bit before release now and before I get back to playing here are some good things and not so good things about the game as I'm probably about 80% through it now.

Pros:
 - Combat is much improved. I've got to hand it to the lady who designed the system but it actually works pretty well, and the Soldier will probably turn out to be more useful than we all believed he would be - the weapons have relatively distinct strengths and drawbacks, and as far as I can tell only the assault rifle works against all types of defense. Direct damage powers (incinerate, throw, etc.) only have their intended effect when all defenses are destroyed and the enemy is left with only their health bar, but in the meantime they do some damage to defenses. Tech and Biotics both have powers specifically designed for reducing defenses as well.

- Pace. It's good, and varies a bit. As a whole it feels a lot more like KOTOR than ME, and that's good.

- Characters are all pretty well done, the adverts were always bullshit meant to draw in the Halo crowds. Subject Zero and especially Grunt are not nearly as ridiculous as they might seem initially. Mordin remains the best character.

- Exploring planets is now a bit better. You don't do any exploring of worlds ala ME1, instead you scour the planet using a sensor and send probes to collect resources. It's not bad, usually takes no more than a few minutes per planet. "Anomalies" that you investigate are relegated to approximately one planet per star system (there are several in a cluster) and in general these are about as robust as the side missions in ME1 which is to say they're usually boring.

- Jennifer Hale is great as Shepard. Meer is ehhh.

Cons:

- I'm disappointed by the "Loyalty" system. They played this part up a whole bunch but it really ends up just like any other Bioware game, wherein you go out and go on missions that are of personal interest to your squad and they get "loyal" when you complete them. It's not really bad, it's just a letdown since they made it seem like gaining trust would be, you know, hard. These side missions are actually quite robust otherwise, about as lengthy and involved as a core path mission.

- The inventory system's a letdown too. Maybe it's just the way Bioware's conditioned me, but it doesn't seem right somehow that I'm 80% through the game and I'm still using the submachine gun I started the game with. Far as I can tell there are three different variations per weapon type you can use (aside from heavy weapons, of which there are 5) and I'm tired of the machine pistol.

- No Lance Henriksen.

All in all this is probably the most consistently good game they've put out since Baldur's Gate II, and in my opinion it's much better than Dragon Age. I'm looking forward to ME3.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #834 on: 25 Jan 2010, 18:40 »

I was worried about the lack of Lance Henriksen, since you're not working for the Alliance anymore, but hearing it confirmed is kind of a bummer.

And as far as the inventory goes, I think their goal there was to make the upgrades the important part, not just getting tons of loot where the vast majority of it is useless vendor trash. I would like if ME3 had more unique, specialized high-end loot like Dragon Age, though.

Also John, fire-based powers like Incinerate are effective against armor defenses, but not shields or barriers.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #835 on: 25 Jan 2010, 18:41 »

I think you're projecting a bit with the Soldier. I know at least myself and Melodic planned on rolling soldier from the outset. And really, soldiers were never actually bad in Mass Effect 1, they just didn't do anything particularly flashy. Basically, you just ran around spamming Immunity while your class ability regenerated your health faster than you actually took damage. Crowd control abilities are pretty superfluous when incoming weapons fire basically just bounce off your rock hard abs. My only worry was that perhaps soldiers might be left out in the cold if they actually fixed the ability to never, ever die again.

Also, I always thought the Vanguard Charge ability looked like a flaming pile of shit. My money is on the Infiltrator of once again taking the crown of most secretly effective class, since yeah, Incinerate nukes armor and they have Disruptor ammo for shields AND a cloaking device. It's just too bad that I won't be able to load up a sniper rifle with explosive ammunition anymore and turning it into AoE 1 shot cannon of doom.
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2010, 18:47 by Alex C »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #836 on: 25 Jan 2010, 18:54 »

I tried Infiltrator, thought it was kind of shit. The Sentinel is whooping ass, though.

And this is not really spoiler-y, but at a certain point you can use 2500 Eezo (Element Zero) to respec your skills and 5000 Eezo to gain one of the "special abilities" your teammates gain when they become loyal. You can have up to two extra skills.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #837 on: 25 Jan 2010, 19:20 »

Oh, I thought it was only one, that's interesting. Some of those sound interesting, I especially like the sound of Miranda's. You can't max out all of your skills on a character though, there just aren't enough skill points. Maybe if they release DLC that raises the level cap or give you more skill points, but even if they do it'll have to be pretty substantial to max out all your skills.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #838 on: 25 Jan 2010, 20:51 »

Oh huh apparently you can only have one extra skill :[
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #839 on: 25 Jan 2010, 21:46 »

Damn, then I'm gonna have to choose between Jacob's and Miranda's.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #840 on: 25 Jan 2010, 21:59 »

The amount of junk I have piled up in Dragon age and Mass Effect is ridiculous. The changes to the inventory sound good.

Mein Tumblr

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #841 on: 25 Jan 2010, 22:22 »

John, you wouldn't happen to remember where to find the second shotgun, would you? According to the SA thread the default one isn't very good, so I want to look for an upgrade as soon as I can.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #842 on: 25 Jan 2010, 22:45 »

http://www.masseffect2faces.com/

If you think your character is ugly and don't want to go through the effort of remaking him/her.

Or if you want your shepard to look like a certain celebrity.

Mein Tumblr

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #843 on: 25 Jan 2010, 22:47 »

Guys, there isn't a Neil Patrick Harris Shepard yet.

We can do this.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #844 on: 25 Jan 2010, 22:51 »

the mass effect forums will have him

Mein Tumblr

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #845 on: 26 Jan 2010, 02:35 »

John, you wouldn't happen to remember where to find the second shotgun, would you? According to the SA thread the default one isn't very good, so I want to look for an upgrade as soon as I can.
Well I don't know if this is a spoiler (all ye opposed to weapons placement info turn back hence) but the few weapon upgrades I do remember are from recruitment missions. The Salarian = heavy pistol and Garrus = assault rifle, I think the shotgun might be in the second "round" of recruitments. I got mine after I picked up Grunt.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #846 on: 26 Jan 2010, 03:45 »

I am rather disappointed we don't get a shit-ton of upgrades and guns. Laaaaaaaame.

kemon

• Furry furrier
  • seriously
« Reply #847 on: 26 Jan 2010, 08:39 »

in my head, the expectation that this game is going to be truly epic best game i've ever played has built to something pretty fierce.

now that i've played it, it even exceeded those expectations.

also, destructoid agrees with me.
biting's excellent.  it's like kissing, only there's a winner.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #848 on: 26 Jan 2010, 10:09 »

OK, taking a quick break to type up some impressions and eat some cereal. I'm almost done with the first batch of recruits, I'm just landing on Purgatory right now to get Subject Zero.

On the most basic level: the two main parts of Mass Effect, shooting and dialogue, are much improved in this game. The reviews aren't lying, you really need to use cover in this game or enemies can take you down quick. The characters feel a lot less wooden, direction in the cutscenes is vastly improved, and the incidental dialogue is much, much better. I'm surprised at how many minor quest characters from ME1 have shown up considering how early I am in the game. I'm also happy to see that the celebrity voices aren't phoning it in. I was really impressed by Carrie-Anne Moss's character in particular, and Martin Sheen (from what little I've heard of him so far) is good too.

Grunt comes off much, much better in game than he did in the trailers, and I can already see why Mordin is the fan favorite. I think Jacob and Miranda are stronger characters than Kaidan and Ashley too.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #849 on: 26 Jan 2010, 11:01 »

Picked the game up literally twenty minutes ago at the shop. I still have four hours of work to get through before I can play. Then I have to drive home and probably render my girlfriend unconscious. I may not get to play for long tonight!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27   Go Up